As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Graphic Violence Forum Activity Thing: Ideas Needed! (Poll coming soon)

• CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still have my avatar from the last GV Forum Event. Mainly because I almost never post, so there was no need to change it. I'd end up posting for either of these suggestions, though.

For the record, the winner of the villain tournament was Loki. It's why we never had a hero/villain championship poll; Thor VS Loki has pretty much been settled a million times now.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Geebs I have a couple ideas for a Phalla, we'd probably want to start with a fairly simple one since it would be lots of people's first times.

yeah, I was thinking either a really simple take on secret invasion (dudes locked in a building with skrulls and have to take 'em out) or something with batman infiltrating supervillains to solve a murder, possibly in arkham asylum, where the village is made up of criminals and supervillains

if we do end up doing phallas in here, I don't want them constantly happening, like they do in CF, but probably at a higher rate than SE phallas happen

whereas the create a hero thing could basically become a thing that is always going on, just with different themes

DJ Eebs on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Geebs I have a couple ideas for a Phalla, we'd probably want to start with a fairly simple one since it would be lots of people's first times.

yeah, I was thinking either a really simple take on secret invasion (dudes locked in a building with skrulls and have to take 'em out) or something with batman infiltrating supervillains to solve a murder, possibly in arkham asylum, where the village is made up of criminals and supervillains

if we do end up doing phallas in here, I don't want them constantly happening, like they do in CF, but probably at a higher rate than SE phallas happen

whereas the create a hero thing could basically become a thing that is always going on, just with different themes

How do you feel about the seasonal idea? Have a big phalla once every season for different universes.

Then maybe one small game like Arkham thrown in during the wait. The game I was going to run over in CF would have been pretty large but like I said i'd gladly play it here instead if there's enough interest. I was kind of worried about people not knowing characters and what not in CF anyway.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009

How do you feel about the seasonal idea? Have a big phalla once every season for different universes.

Then maybe one small game like Arkham thrown in during the wait. The game I was going to run over in CF would have been pretty large but like I said i'd gladly play it here instead if there's enough interest. I was kind of worried about people not knowing characters and what not in CF anyway.

I dunno! I kind of want to nail down what everyone wants to do before I really start getting into specifics on this sort of thing, though.

DJ Eebs on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Secret Invasion would be perfect for a Phalla, and would also draw in a bunch of people from D&D who like that kind of thing, like for instance myself.

Crimson King on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Would creating a hero involve any sort of artwork? Because I can't draw anything except for stickfigures. Well, more like scrawlfigures. Other than that, writing a story for a hero seems much more fun than just a origin and powerset.

And I'm not sure about Phalla. There is nothing intrinsically comic-y about it.

Here's an idea:

Let's create our own shared comic universe, like 616 and the DCU. This is something we can all do. We can create characters for it, and all the sucky ones will just be reduced to b or c-listers, though still doing their own thing.

We can write histories of fictional places and people. We can even write short stories, on which other people can expand. We can create superheroes, which become open to interpretation when it leaves the author's hands, just like how it's done in the industry. Certain cities will have different themes, just like how Gotham is crime and Metropolis is technology.

Since we are creating a world, you can set stories in whatever era you like. You could write the discovery of a new continent and the initial colonization efforts. Or you could write about gangsters and speakeasies. Moonlandings. Feudal times. Alien invasions. The possibilities are endless.

It would also be nice if we could get a game running where we each write chapters to a superheroes adventure. We could vote on a character's development. "It would be really great for character development if Wondrous Woman got raped the next chapter." "That's a really fucking terrible idea. I vote no." Etc.

Of course, I don't think we can get a clear winner for all this, but it's nice to have around in the background as a community effort. We could have winners for certain categories by vote. Who created the best hero? Who designed the best city? The best adventure?

[EDIT] Even the people with no writing skills could contribute by bitching about continuity. It would be so meta.

[EDIT2] Also, I would like to create my very own animal character. Fantasty Cat.

TeaSpoon on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only problem I can see with that is that it, like the last tournament, runs the very real risk of being abandoned after an initial burst of enthusiasm.

And the point of the phalla idea is to draw some more people into GV who wouldn't necessarily visit normally. Who knows? They might like it and stay.

Wildcat on
    edited July 2009
    But I want to write about a continent with a magical singularity smack in the middle, uninhabitable except for the very edges where a few colonies cling to life, fighting off the hordes of magically mutated monsters that attack each night.

And as people come closer to the singularity, weird shit starts happening to time and space. They'll meet people long throught dead or in futuristic gear. They'll look up in the sky and see the suns and the dark outline of a floating city. As they walk on, their flesh begins twisting in unnatural shapes and they are attacked by increasingly stranger things. Floating eyeballs, undead boneless gelatinous corpses, music that drives you mad, smells that lure you into acid pits.

TeaSpoon on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seems readable 'Spoon. Also, if we did some fairly "limited edition" phallas (With foil coverz plz!) it would probably be a lot of fun.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't post here often (lurk usually) but I just finished a Marvel/DC mock draft and tournament that I've always wondered why GV never did. I loved the Hero and villain tournament but these ones have a more team and owner aspect to them.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    batman infiltrating supervillains to solve a murder, possibly in arkham asylum, where the village is made up of criminals and supervillains

This would just end with Killer Croc taking off his face, and turns out it's Batman.

Anyway, I'm interested in whatever people decide one (both create-a-hero and the phalla thing both sound good, although I'm still not 100% clear on the latter. It's basically just roleplay-by-message board, isn't it?). Not sure how much I'll be able to participate, because I'm both busy and lazy, but I'll certainly make the attempt.

Delduwath on
    edited July 2009
    Not quite roleplaying, in fact there are a sizeable number of players who loathe roleplaying phallas and prefer to stick tot he bare basics of posts and facts.

Edit: these people are know as 'killjoys'.

Wildcat on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah you don't have to roleplay at all. Some folks do to try to convey who their character is or there are instances when say a curse of some sort places a post restriction on a character.

Maybe Deadpool would have to type in this color. But whatever they say would not have to be deadpool esque.

(note: that's a bit extreme since it'd be easy to figure out.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So if I'm in a Phalla as Black Bolt, do I, uh...wait.

Mr Pink on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But it could very well be someone merely pretending to be Deadpool. That's the fun bit; you never know who's telling the truth.

BionicPenguin on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the Shared Universe idea, but the thing is it would be too many cooks in the kitchen. The reason Marvel and DC worked is because at first they had only a handful of people working and they all were on the same page. We'd have many, many more people and we would all have different wants. I think an Image-verse approach would be good. Heroes exist in the same place, but no real hard continuity. Crossovers and the such are just for fun and a timeline shouldn't be worried about.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    So if I'm in a Phalla as Black Bolt, do I, uh...wait.
    Image posts only, most likely. Mods generally tolerate it in phallas when it is a specific post restriction.

Or all of your non-PM posts may simply have to be '...' :P

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know about the legality of this, but it should be ok since I've seen it used before, but how about taking one issue of a comic and rewriting the whole story with new word balloons?

It's similar in the vein to those Civil War or Ultimates 3 remixes that were always better than the actual series itself.

We could pick one really bad book and try to make it work, or we could just take the piss on something like Ultimatum.

TexiKen on
    edited July 2009
    I would really rather prefer we didn't scan in whole comic books, even if the object was to replace all the panels.

DJ Eebs on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »
    I like the Shared Universe idea, but the thing is it would be too many cooks in the kitchen. The reason Marvel and DC worked is because at first they had only a handful of people working and they all were on the same page. We'd have many, many more people and we would all have different wants. I think an Image-verse approach would be good. Heroes exist in the same place, but no real hard continuity. Crossovers and the such are just for fun and a timeline shouldn't be worried about.

Yeah, I like this idea. And I'll have a surplus of free time come August, and would be happy to contribute some artwork in the form of character drawings or short comics.

Munch on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    I wouldn't mind doing some character drawings, time permitting.

DMAC on
    edited July 2009
    So from what I can tell, we're at two options:

1) Create A Hero Contests, with different themes as we go
    2) Comic book themed Phalla/Mafia games (what these are)

I can add a third option, which would be "Run another hypothetical superhero tournament," but I don't particularly want to. I'm going to throw up a poll up tonight, so now's the time for input on what you'd like to see, if your idea hasn't been posted yet, or if I've missed something.

DJ Eebs on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

It's similar in the vein to those Civil War or Ultimates 3 remixes that were always better than the actual series itself.

Is it legal to link to one of those? Because I would really like to read an Ultimates 3 that doesn't suck.

Hensler on
    edited July 2009
    They've been linked before, but just do a google seach for...mightygoodking or mightygodking? Someone will actually know what his name is.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    So from what I can tell, we're at two options:

1) Create A Hero Contests, with different themes as we go
    2) Comic book themed Phalla/Mafia games (what these are)

I can add a third option, which would be "Run another hypothetical superhero tournament," but I don't particularly want to. I'm going to throw up a poll up tonight, so now's the time for input on what you'd like to see, if your idea hasn't been posted yet, or if I've missed something.

Yes, I have a suggestion.

Shared universe

TeaSpoon on
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to need a one sentence summary!

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    This is what I wrote earlier. It's a bit disjointed, but it illustrates what I want to do.
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Would creating a hero involve any sort of artwork? Because I can't draw anything except for stickfigures. Well, more like scrawlfigures. Other than that, writing a story for a hero seems much more fun than just a origin and powerset.

And I'm not sure about Phalla. There is nothing intrinsically comic-y about it.

Here's an idea:

Let's create our own shared comic universe, like 616 and the DCU. This is something we can all do. We can create characters for it, and all the sucky ones will just be reduced to b or c-listers, though still doing their own thing.

We can write histories of fictional places and people. We can even write short stories, on which other people can expand. We can create superheroes, which become open to interpretation when it leaves the author's hands, just like how it's done in the industry. Certain cities will have different themes, just like how Gotham is crime and Metropolis is technology.

Since we are creating a world, you can set stories in whatever era you like. You could write the discovery of a new continent and the initial colonization efforts. Or you could write about gangsters and speakeasies. Moonlandings. Feudal times. Alien invasions. The possibilities are endless.

It would also be nice if we could get a game running where we each write chapters to a superheroes adventure. We could vote on a character's development. "It would be really great for character development if Wondrous Woman got raped the next chapter." "That's a really fucking terrible idea. I vote no." Etc.

Of course, I don't think we can get a clear winner for all this, but it's nice to have around in the background as a community effort. We could have winners for certain categories by vote. Who created the best hero? Who designed the best city? The best adventure?

[EDIT] Even the people with no writing skills could contribute by bitching about continuity. It would be so meta.

[EDIT2] Also, I would like to create my very own animal character. Fantasty Cat.

TeaSpoon on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That seems a bit too ambitious to do right out the gate.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    The thing I wanted to do with the shared universe is to play with the idea that the character you create is not yours. Once you release it into the wild, everyone gets to play with it. The character evolves like it does in the industry, with the better ideas becoming canon and the crappy ones forgotten.

Just like that, we also create cities for our heroes to thrive in. The setting is equally important as the city changes the hero and the hero changes the city.

This project - and it would be a project more than a one-time event - would encapsulate the essence of GV, both writing and art brought together, elevating one another. Much like comics. Forum members contribute what they can, whether it's pretty pictures or good ideas. The forum adds these separate elements together to create something greater than its parts. And since this "shared universe" combines multiple disciplines, we can invite forum members from different areas. We could use the artistic ability of the AC, the prose of WB, and the sheer energy of SE++.

In the end, I want to create a setting where great ideas compete and flourish through collective effort.

TeaSpoon on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked my idea of reimagining/reinventing a pre established character, ala Ultimate universe or Elseworlds whatever. But I guess I was the only one. :lol:

Plenty of room for everyone to nerd out.

I guess with the companies themselves doing this constantly there's little room for us to do much. Maybe restrict it to sub B grade characters or something, I dunno.

-SPI- on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing with pre-established characters is a bit fan fictiony as well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And then the Shocker kills all the bad guys and then he makes out with all these girls and then everyone is like oh my god shocker you are so cool

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Isn't that the point? That's what the first 2 events were, fueled by fan fiction and nerd rage. Everyone gets together and laughs/argues over each other's horrible/awesome creations.

"Reed Richards with extending cyborg arms and a sentient hat? What were you thinking?"

-SPI- on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Isn't that the point? That's what the first 2 events were, fueled by fan fiction and nerd rage. Everyone gets together and laughs/argues over each other's horrible/awesome creations.

"Reed Richards with extending cyborg arms and a sentient hat? What were you thinking?"

honestly, the artist/writer jokey comics idea was really fun

blank and i had a blast throughout that process

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2009
    yeah, I really wish I hadn't cocked that up

I'd like to revisit the idea at some point, I think, but I'd have to scale it back a ways

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I liked my idea of reimagining/reinventing a pre established character, ala Ultimate universe or Elseworlds whatever. But I guess I was the only one. :lol:

Plenty of room for everyone to nerd out.

That's the great thing about the shared universe idea. You can!

The concept came about from the dozens of times I would see great ideas get ruined by horrible execution, from when I thought how great it would be if this and this character met. Of course, if I actually wrote something like this, it would be fanfiction.

Through community effort, I'm trying to get away from the general awfulness that comes from a lack of feedback and accountability. Anything you write and draw would be material for the next writer, and your interaction with the community would keep you firmly grounded.

As such, any sufficiently good idea would be welcome, even if it involves rewriting existing characters. However, original material is preferred. The whole point of the project is to pursue ideas that would ordinarily survive in an inflexible and conservative industry.

I'll admit that this project would require a great deal of organization and management, but I believe these obstacles can be easily overcome with some effort.

Thus ends my sales pitch.

TeaSpoon on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How about we start with the Create a Hero contests and then hopefully branch out into a more permanent GV Comics Universe by using some of the ideas that get cooked up in the contest threads?

I believe the impetus is on action here. So let's start with something simple to get the ball rolling. We can shoot for the moon tomorrow.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about artist/writer/storyline/guest appearance mad libs? Contributors get together in 2-person art/writing teams (or one person alone if they're ambitious), then everyone has to pick a scenario out of several hats and flesh it out. "::rummagerummagerummage:: Okay, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, as written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by Rob Liefield, featuring a guest appearance by Doctor Strange (Marvel Adventures). Go!"

Horrible idea? Too similar to others?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited July 2009
    I'll toss it in the poll. This poll, by the way, should be going up tonight.

DJ Eebs on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    What about artist/writer/storyline/guest appearance mad libs? Contributors get together in 2-person art/writing teams (or one person alone if they're ambitious), then everyone has to pick a scenario out of several hats and flesh it out. "::rummagerummagerummage:: Okay, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, as written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by Rob Liefield, featuring a guest appearance by Doctor Strange (Marvel Adventures). Go!"

Horrible idea? Too similar to others?

I'm tired of the negativity/meanness which is festering in this forum. Lately, people seem to be really hung up on things they dislike. It is tiresome.

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.