As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's all about the length.

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
So my brother is a stay at home dad, and between walks with his daughter around the ranch, her watching Pooh, Tigger and Dora, and playing some games with her, he has a lot of free time. Like I lend him a game and by the next day, he's asking if I have anything else for him.

Unfortunately he doesn't have internet out where he lives so that leaves out any multiplayer games. But most games these days he finishes in a day, maybe two. Fallout 3 gave him 3 days and I think Star Ocean gave him a week while Ghostbusters, Bioshock, and Resident Evil 5 gave him about 2 days tops.

So is there any long, in depth games out there? Something with the depth and customization of Armored Core with the length of say... a traditional S/RPG? He's got a 360 so I know that options are kinda limited.

Any recommendations?

newSig.jpg
Nocren on

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If he had internet access, he could get a decent pc and an mmo and be set for...a week, at least.

Renzo on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Put him in front of a roguelike game.

Make sure he looks up to check on his kid every now and then.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I liked Lost Odyssey, it's a decent traditional RPG for 360, turn based combat kinda like FFX

SkutSkut on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lost Oddesy

Jubal77 on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How did Fallout 3 give him three days?

Tell him to go back and actually complete the game instead of just rushing through the story missions.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I believe Phantasy Star II just hit XBLA. Tell him to download that and you'll see him in a month.

Halfmex on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Last Remnant sounds good.

Just tell him to install that.

You could also get him the Sega Genesis Collection that came out recently.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I know he's only got a 360, but if he wants a couple games to keep him busy for a while, have him get a ps2 (they're like, what, $100 now?) and any NIS game, i.e. Disgaea 1 or 2, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics. Disgaea alone kept me busy for about 80 hours and I didn't do much of anything in the way of additional content. I've heard people spending many, MANY hundreds of hours tweaking and maxing characters and items.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a bit on the old side now, but I put more hours into Oblivion then I have any other current gen game.

chamberlain on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He could get more JRPGs? I don't know if Star Ocean is an especially short one or not, but I thought they were generally supposed to be extra grindy to help with the length.

Dwarf Fortress
    Roguelikes, e.g., Crawl, Nethack, ADOM
    Sandbox games like Grand Theft Auto?
    Civilization, Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion
    Maybe some of the newer games like Sins of a Solar Empire or Galactic Civilizations 2, I don't know
    I think I've also heard good things about Dominions 2, Hearts of Iron 2, and the Europa Universalis games.

Without the depth/customization, maybe download a bunch of text adventures for him? Or Rock Band?

Orogogus on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know, I actually gave him the Sonic Genesis Collection. I should tell him to talk to me when he's done with the Phantasy Star Saga.

And I have no idea how he finished FO3 that fast. Though luckily the add-on disc got released and in a few months the second one is going to get released as well so that will add a few more hours.

So if he liked Star Ocean, think he'll like Lost Odyssey?

And we both tried Last Remnant and it wasn't for us.
    He already played through Oblivion. All of it. Including the expansions. (It was his first 360 title)

And he LOVES Disgaea when he was playing it on my PSP.
    Maybe for his birthday I'll get him a PS2. That's around Christmas so they should be around $80 or so or at least have some really nice package deals.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    I know he's only got a 360, but if he wants a couple games to keep him busy for a while, have him get a ps2 (they're like, what, $100 now?) and any NIS game, i.e. Disgaea 1 or 2, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, La Pucelle Tactics. Disgaea alone kept me busy for about 80 hours and I didn't do much of anything in the way of additional content. I've heard people spending many, MANY hundreds of hours tweaking and maxing characters and items.

I would agree with this. PS2 has an amazing catalog of games, including some really stinkin' long RPGs. If here were to acquire a PS2, Disgaea 1 and 2 would be good. Final Fantasy 10 and 12 can both be long if you spend time maxing your dudes -- FF10 has the monster ranch, plus the legendary weapons, and FF12 has all of the hunts, which can be quite time consuming.

Lucascraft on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I believe Phantasy Star II just hit XBLA. Tell him to download that and you'll see him in a month.

It's better to buy the Ultimate Genesis/Mega Drive Collection so you can get all four the main Phantasy Star games coupled with a metric ton of other Genesis games for $30.

DualEdge on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a bit on the old side now, but I put more hours into Oblivion then I have any other current gen game.

Same here, but it doesn't really sound like it would work for this guy.

Does he know about the internet? Maybe its time you show him. ;P

But yeah, show him a roguelike such as ADOM. Should keep him busy.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    You know, I actually gave him the Sonic Genesis Collection. I should tell him to talk to me when he's done with the Phantasy Star Saga.

And I have no idea how he finished FO3 that fast. Though luckily the add-on disc got released and in a few months the second one is going to get released as well so that will add a few more hours.

So if he liked Star Ocean, think he'll like Lost Odyssey?

And we both tried Last Remnant and it wasn't for us.
    He already played through Oblivion. All of it. Including the expansions. (It was his first 360 title)

And he LOVES Disgaea when he was playing it on my PSP.
    Maybe for his birthday I'll get him a PS2. That's around Christmas so they should be around $80 or so or at least have some really nice package deals.

Lost oddesy is traditional JRPG but it is just a fantastic game. It is not action-RPG but everything is there (elements, skills, crafting...)

If he likes the action RPG try out Tales of Symphona... another great JRPG

Jubal77 on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I Wanna Be The Guy would take him more then a few days, I doubt they would be fun days, but still.

Xtarath on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, he knows of the internet, but living out in the sticks means that he doesn't get it.
    And his ex-wife took the computer. The only reason he has a 360 is because it was a birthday/christmas present from me last year.

I'm really liking the PS2 idea though. I could probably get a used one from Gamestop for cheap and set him up with everything.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What about stuff like Oblivion, Mass Effect, or GTA that have "main quests" but also a lot of additional, optional stuff?

Mass effect takes like 10 hours to beat if you ignore all of the optional stuff; but there's a hell of a lot more content if you choose to go out and do it.

slash000 on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tales of Vesperia might be a good choice. It's 45ish hours long for just the main quest, but there's a large number of sidequests, a really robust New Game + mode, and a really big optional dungeon. Breaking the game can be quite fun, but it takes a billion years to do. The only problem is that you practically need a FAQ to access some of the stuff, so perhaps buying him a strategy guide with it would be a good idea :)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited July 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    What about stuff like Oblivion, Mass Effect, or GTA that have "main quests" but also a lot of additional, optional stuff?

Mass effect takes like 10 hours to beat if you ignore all of the optional stuff; but there's a hell of a lot more content if you choose to go out and do it.

He doesn't care for GTA and I already got him ME and Oblivion. (Which he finished.)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tales of Vesperia maybe? If you do get him a PS2, pick up:

Persona 3 FES
    Persona 4
    Rogue Galaxy
    Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King
    Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
    Suikoden III
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
    Odin Sphere
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    Phantom Brave
    Xenosaga
    Star Ocean Til The End of Time
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon
    Gladius
    Wild Arms 3
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Tales of the Abyss
    Grandia 2
    Grandia 3
    Summoner
    Summoner 2
    Suikoden V
    Shadow Hearts
    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
    Radiata Stories
    Steambot Chronicles
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
    Tales of Legendia

If he had a DS and/or PSP, I could recomment more. If you lend him your PSP again, he could play:

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
    Final Fantasy 7
    Final Fantasy 1
    Final Fantasy 2
    Crisis Core
    FFT War of the Lions
    Star Ocean First Departure
    Star Ocean Second Evolution
    Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
    Tales of Eternia
    Class of Heroes
    Jeanne d'Arc
    Brave Story: New Traveler
    Yggdra Union
    Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When you say doesn't have internet. Do you mean "no internet at all, even dialup" or just "no broadband". Because there are a ton of PC games out there that can suck up oodles of time, but you probably need some sort of connection for the online activation or patches.

EDIT: I just saw that you said ex-wife took the computer. That blows. I've spent years on 4x games like Master of Orion 2, Alpha Centaiur, Civilization etc. Not to mention other awesome games like blizzards shit (StarCraft/WarCraft/Diablo)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Between the thread title, your brother, his daughter and the ranch, I was expecting a thread about more exciting stuff.

Now I'm depressed.

BlackDove on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get a job

Dsmart on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lost Odyssey is a pretty lengthy RPG. It has nice characters too which is a welcome change.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, he knows of the internet, but living out in the sticks means that he doesn't get it.
    And his ex-wife took the computer. The only reason he has a 360 is because it was a birthday/christmas present from me last year.

I'm really liking the PS2 idea though. I could probably get a used one from Gamestop for cheap and set him up with everything.

Oi, teach me not to read the OP properly...

I know this is G&T, but maybe a different hobby is in order. Reading, building and painting little army men, whatever. Sounds like any game you put in his hands he is just going to finish in a week anyway.

Foolish Chaos on
  • FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everyone else seems to be on top of the recommendations so I'll just take this moment to say this.

I envy your brother's position.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Civilization

This thread has a winner. Assuming that he likes it, Civ will last forever.

LaPuzza on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pfft Oblivion my ass. Get him Morrowind.

Brian on
  • KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So my brother is a stay at home dad, and between walks with his daughter around the ranch, her watching Pooh, Tigger and Dora, and playing some games with her, he has a lot of free time. Like I lend him a game and by the next day, he's asking if I have anything else for him.

Unfortunately he doesn't have internet out where he lives so that leaves out any multiplayer games. But most games these days he finishes in a day, maybe two. Fallout 3 gave him 3 days and I think Star Ocean gave him a week while Ghostbusters, Bioshock, and Resident Evil 5 gave him about 2 days tops.

So is there any long, in depth games out there? Something with the depth and customization of Armored Core with the length of say... a traditional S/RPG? He's got a 360 so I know that options are kinda limited.

Any recommendations?

Gamefly

Katholic on
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How did Fallout 3 give him three days?

Tell him to go back and actually complete the game instead of just rushing through the story missions.

I second this. Once I leveled up to 20 I took the perk that revealed every place on the map I didn't have. Weeks later I'm still out there spanking out random missions and exploring new places. I've got the final mission prepped and ready to go for when I get to every place on the map/get bored and I have all of the add on content downloaded.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Katholic wrote: »

Any recommendations?

Gamefly

For serious.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fallout 3 also has the DLC that comes on disc now in Best Buy.
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Get a job

Yeah that's a totally applicable suggestion, fuckstick. Way to read.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    Pfft Oblivion my ass. Get him Morrowind.

Fuck yes, I'm pissed I didn't make this suggestion. I put at least 250 hours into Morrowind.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

Any recommendations?

So when I read this, my first thought is the Front Mission series?

strategy RPG's, where you control squads of customizable mechs.

Morkath on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How is it possible to not have internet? Does he not have a phone line or cable TV? Is he some sort of weird type of Amish that is allowed to play video games?

Goose! on
    edited July 2009
    Or goose, as he states, he lives on a ranch.

They tend to not lay fiber out to farms, and usually the phones lines are such complete old shit that you are lucky if you can get 28k off them.

Morkath on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Or goose, as he states, he lives on a ranch.

They tend to not lay fiber out to farms, and usually the phones lines are such complete old shit that you are lucky if you can get 28k off them.

The answer is typically satellite in situations like this. Or that thing where you can get it from your cell phone or whatever.

slash000 on
    edited July 2009
    Good point, assuming it's available. Satellite isn't everywhere either due to geographical obstructions though.

Morkath on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But he also doesn't have a computer, apparently.

Orogogus on