As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons (UNMARKED SPOILERS, BEWARE)

1565758596062»

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never got the impression that he was anything other than a cab driver, who was probably a vampire of some sort.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    Which Malkavian? The Malkavian PC? Because as I recall the Malkavian PC simply screams bloody murder.

Tube on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pretty sure the driver's sound files are named Caine_(Number here), or something like that.

If that isn't confirmation that he's Caine, I don't know what is. Also, I recall someone saying that Malkavian's flip the fuck out and refer to him as one of Caine's nicknames ("The Dark Father", which is Caine's nickname. It's also the name that the canon gives to Caine, if you take the interpretation that Caine is a "vengeful vampire god" sort of creature.) in a certain scene.

Edit: Damnit, got beaten to the punch.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Pretty sure the driver's sound files are named Caine_(Number here),

They also refer to the girl in the club as "blood doll 1"

Is that her name?

Tube on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For the third time in a row I'm going to note that if you had a crazy vampire who THOUGHT he was Caine, his sound files would be named Caine just as surely as Caine's sound files would be named Caine.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Is that her name?

Had might as well be, since that's the only interaction you get with her.

And i'd be inclined to believe that the Malkavian was right, considering that most of his/her lines are basically
    predictions of things that happen later in the game.

Archonex on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There are people alive today with the name Cain (or Caine). What if one were embraced? Whoops, canon paradox!

TL DR on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's not like it would be the first time something in oWoD was initially established as fact, then other writers decided "Nope, that's too nonsensical. It's just some vampires being crazy!"

See the weirdness involving the True Black Hand before revised edition decided vampires fighting an alien virus from space was dumb.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dammit, I bet this was there intention. Just name it Caine to fuck with people. I'm on to you sneaky bastards.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Is that her name?

And i'd be inclined to believe that the Malkavian was right, considering that most of his/her lines are basically

Right, and if the Malkavian said "holy shit it's fucking caine!" I'd agree with you be he doesn't. He says things that could be interpreted to mean that. Hints, teases, it's what the entire game world is all about. Making you think one thing and then pulling the rug out. Bait and switch.

Tube on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not that I know anything at all about this setting, but this is what the White Wolf wiki had to say, take it for what you will.
    The game hints towards the end that Jack's friend who drives the taxi is Caine, the father of all vampires. This is made more credible by the fact the characters speech files are kept in a directory titled "Caine" and that a Malkavian character will recognize the taxi driver as the father of all vampires in the prelude to the final battle, leading to a fair amount of hilarity. Driving a taxi is also consistent with being cursed to wander. Additionally, if the player activates the Auspex discipline, he will discover that the driver's aura is purple, indicating that he is a vampire (or, at the very least, not human). It must be noted though that some Vampire: The Masquerade supplements mention a Malkavian pretending to be Caine who travels around with Jack.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Dammit, I bet this was there intention. Just name it Caine to fuck with people. I'm on to you sneaky bastards.

It's up to interpretation, really.

Though, I don't see (Endgame spoilers)
    Jack orchestrating the entire scheme himself. He's cool and all, but he's a bit of a loudmouth. He probably had help somewhere, and in terms of scheming, Caine is the best. The guy did father an entire species of scheming monsters, after all.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Not that I know anything at all about this setting, but this is what the White Wolf wiki had to say, take it for what you will.
    It must be noted though that some Vampire: The Masquerade supplements mention a Malkavian pretending to be Caine who travels around with Jack.

Were those published before or after Bloodlines? I mean, if it was before, then it could be the devs fucking with everybody since its established that an imposter travels with Jack. If it was after, then it could be WW way of saying no it isn't Caine. Or it could be a million other ideas, all of which are varying degrees of plausible. That's really a lot better than a cold cut "this is it and everything else is wrong" isn't it?

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

Is that her name?

Right, and if the Malkavian said "holy shit it's fucking caine!" I'd agree with you be he doesn't. He says things that could be interpreted to mean that. Hints, teases, it's what the entire game world is all about. Making you think one thing and then pulling the rug out. Bait and switch.

The Malkavian isn't that straightforward in speech but his insights are usually spot on.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Is that her name?

I do distinctly remember the Malkavian PC saying that he was the Dark Father or something very similar to that.

I don't really care either way, but it's strongly hinted at.

Then again, the whole game you think you're trying to avert Ghehena and it ends up being a ruse. This very well could be too.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NVBNVB Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For the third time in a row I'm going to note that if you had a crazy vampire who THOUGHT he was Caine, his sound files would be named Caine just as surely as Caine's sound files would be named Caine.

I really think this is reading WAY too much into it. Troika made an entertaining game but I doubt they would chose to name sound files simply for the sake of confusing people who played the game.

NVB on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »

It's up to interpretation, really.

Though, I don't see (Endgame spoilers)
    Jack orchestrating the entire scheme himself. He's cool and all, but he's a bit of a loudmouth. He probably had help somewhere, and in terms of scheming, Caine is the best. The guy did father an entire species of scheming monsters, after all.

He could have had help from, oh, I don't know.. The canon Malkvian pretending to be Caine?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NVB wrote: »

I really think this is reading WAY too much into it. Troika made an entertaining game but I doubt they would chose to name sound files simply for the sake of confusing people who played the game.

Working Designs used to program their games to have special audio files for people who tried to hack them.

It's definitely feasible.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Like I edited into my post at the top of the page, the "Dark Father" is Caine's nickname to vampires. Just wanted to point that out.

And most of the stuff with the OWoD seems to be ambigous when it comes to Antediluvians, Caine, and those associated with him. It's to let DM's handle that material any way they want. Confirming that Caine exists fucks with that concept.

Not that it matters now, however, now that they did the whole Gehenna thing and ended that particular series, confirming that he does exist in the canon.

Archonex on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Cabbie is Tim Cain(e) of Troika, manifesting himself into the game to guide you through the ending personally as an apology to how rushed and combat-heavy it feels.

The reason the Malk PC freaks out and calls him Dark Father is, well... he was the Lead Programmer, and could screw the PC over and send him/her to ally and then get screwed over by the Kui-Jen or LaCroix if (s)he picked the wrong dialog options.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My suggestion for the new thread title:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Caine has the last laugh.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's kind of silly to say definitively one way or the other that the cabbie is Caine, end of story. They clearly wanted his identity to be up for grabs - possibly Caine, but just as possibly not. Sound files being named Caine isn't really evidence - they wouldn't name the soundfiles MaybeCaineMaybeNot. Part of good storytelling, and this is something that the game does well, is not pulling the curtain back all the way.

Like Tube said, it's okay to THINK that he's Caine, but to claim that you have irrefutable proof is wrong.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Caine's in your cabs, deciding your fate.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, they just wanted to play with people and make the cab driver mysterious. Whether or not he's actually Caine is entirely irrelevant, and also completely contrary to what they wanted to achieve by putting him in there. It's a clever piece of speculation, just like the entirety of the plot. People having debates like this one was likely their intent.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Alternately:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Shut The Fuck Up About Caine

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Arg...finally gave in and reinstalled this.

What's the latest fanpatch again? Someone should update the OP with all the pertinent info so we're not asking again and again ever few pages.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heir wrote: »

What's the latest fanpatch again? Someone should update the OP with all the pertinent info so we're not asking again and again ever few pages.

Version 6.3 is the newest one.
    http://www.patches-scrolls.de/vampire_bloodlines.php

Edit: Outdated link replaced with new one.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Heir wrote: »

We're in second thread territory, some kind Cainite scholar can just fancy up a new one.

Beckett?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gah I'll do it but odds are someone will have a new OP posted by the time I finish mine. In any case, dibs.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Beckett doesn't believe in the existence of Caine or the Antediluvians

in fact

he thinks Caine is just a metaphor for mankind's earliest conflict between hunters and farmers

Pony on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Which makes his companion in the Gehenna novel all more ironic.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TychoCelchuuu on