As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

• Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am tres jealous of lady-bear. Clearly an excellent Alaskan dog.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only person who hates tail bobbing, ear cropping, or (in the case of cats) declawing?

It seems cruel.

I would never declaw a cat. Never.

Ear bobbing isn't something I'd do myself in most cases, but I'm certainly not an expert. There are times when it's important (bulldogs tearing up their own ears, for example), so ruling it out entirely isn't a good idea.

Tail bobbing, in most cases that it's usually done, is there to keep long tails from becoming an issue for the dog. In a lot of cases, this has to do with their uses in the field hunting, though, so if that's not something they're going to be doing it's not as good of an idea. I would personally never bob a dog's tail unless it was going to directly impact their quality of life (as for a hunting spaniel or something). But then, we've got a dog whose bobbing was botched, so I'm biased.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    You didn't crop her ears?

Any particular reason?

I've seen them go either way. Is it required/recommended?

Well it's not required unless you want to have a show dog. It's the breed standard. I'd suppose there aren't any health issues like ear infections but you'd have to ask your vet. Though she's clearly a bit old to have it done now.
    Am I the only person who hates tail bobbing, ear cropping, or (in the case of cats) declawing?

It seems cruel.

Ear cropping doesn't hurt the dog. In fact for most breeds it helps them perform their intended job better.

Tail bobbing I am fairly unfamiliar with so I won't offer an opinion on it.

You don't really know much about ear cropping either apparently. It's a purely cosmetic surgical procedure that involves weekly visits to the vet to replace the bandages on the ears and a month or two of tape strapped to its head... and was historically done to make dogs better fighters.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Part of having a dog is becoming part of a select group of people... nay, not just mere humans, but elites:
    People who talk about their dogs with other people who have dogs. Especially at the work place.

Oh my god.

I have become such a terrible, terrible stereotype of a dog person. I never owned dogs as a kid since I had allergies, but I grew out of them and now my wife and I have two dachshunds that are our pride and joy. I won't shut up about our dogs, because I love them so much. <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKlCdPW3AM

The barker is Sammy, and the little girl who wants love at the end is Lily. They do almost nothing but eat, sleep and cuddle. We adopted both of them after looking for dachshunds on Petfinder for months, though we got Lily six months after Sammy because we figured Sammy could use a friend at home. They wrestle with each other a lot, but they still love each other:

photov.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You didn't crop her ears?

Any particular reason?

I've seen them go either way. Is it required/recommended?

Well it's not required unless you want to have a show dog. It's the breed standard. I'd suppose there aren't any health issues like ear infections but you'd have to ask your vet. Though she's clearly a bit old to have it done now.

It seems cruel.

De clawing a cat IS crule. It's like cutting your finger off at the first joint.

Ear cropping doesn't hurt the dog. In fact for most breeds it helps them perform their intended job better.

Tail bobbing I am fairly unfamiliar with so I won't offer an opinion on it.

Ear cropping is banned in most countries in the world because it serves no purpose, causes pain, and generally requires the ears be taped for 6 months straight to get them perky. I don't have the time right now to find links anyone can read (ie not pay for) but studies have shown that dogs hearing is just as acute without cropped ears and they may be able to pinpoint the angle of a sound with slightly more precision with natural ears. Several US states are working on passing laws to ban ear cropping in all future litters.

Tail docking is banned in some countries but fewer than ear cropping b/c working dogs can and do split their tails. However, a lot of byb dock the tails way too short and that can cause permanent neurological damage. Breeders of performance dogs (not conformation) tend to leave tails natural because it helps with tighter cornering. Several US states are working on laws to only allow tail docking by a licensed veterinarian.

Dewclaw removal is more controversial and banned in fewer countries yet. This is partly because the painfulness and risk of harm varies greatly from dog to dog. Some dogs have fully formed dew claw "fingers" that are actually useful when doing things like digging and other dogs just have a nail and a bag of loose skin with no bones in it that tends to get caught on things and torn off very easily causing lots of pain and blood loss down the road. An individual dog can have some fully formed digits and some completely vestigial digits and some dogs don't even have all four dewclaws to start with. Several US states are working on laws to only allow dewclaw removal by a licensed veterinarian.

These laws are causing a lot of problems in the dog sport world because these procedures are still commonly done in the US and that can make it illegal to take a dog into another country for a competition. All of these procedures are commonly done around 3-4 days of age and breeders don't pick the dogs they are keeping for conformation until about 7 weeks of age so if the breeder wants to be able to show any dogs out of a given litter they need to do the whole litter. There tends to be a lot less moving around of conformation dogs because they are generally only registered in one country so they haven't seen as many issues. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when US states start passing these laws.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For those of you in the US, how did your July 4th go?

I made the mistake of taking Eisley out during a big fireworks show about 100 yards away from my apartment. He was trying to run away, hug the ground, and watch the sky for impending doom at the same time. He didnt stop shivering until he went to sleep, and was wary to go outside the next day.

:(

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How old is Ava? She is gorgeous.

she's... 4 or 5 I think?

my mom's pretty serious about cruelty free stuff, she would have left our jack russell' tails undocked had she had the choice.

anyway it's a different look. I think it makes them look sweeter and less intimidating, and even how gentle she looks people still cross the street to avoid her when she's on a walkie. I think I prefer the uncropped ears anyway.

but yeah I think she's absolutely beautiful either way.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My sister had to move away to a condo where pets were not allowed, and I became the proud owner of a 5 year old mini daschund named Bailey. She never trained him, hardly ever took him for walks, spoiled him...I love the girl, but she's a terrible dog owner.

I now walk him every day and follow the whole Caesar Milan training regiment ( exercise, discipline, affection ) and I can now state without reservations that this is the coolest damn dog in the world.

5531_100149837422_692602422_2575039_3279975_n.jpg

edit- The pic I put up is acting funny. I'll repost it again later.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I made the mistake of taking Eisley out during a big fireworks show about 100 yards away from my apartment. He was trying to run away, hug the ground, and watch the sky for impending doom at the same time. He didnt stop shivering until he went to sleep, and was wary to go outside the next day.

Recently Jewel has been really freaked out by loud noises( mainly thunder) so I was careful to keep her inside or stay with her most of the day. It's odd she's never done this before anyone else have this issue with an older dog( like 12-14?)

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Recently Jewel has been really freaked out by loud noises( mainly thunder) so I was careful to keep her inside or stay with her most of the day. It's odd she's never done this before anyone else have this issue with an older dog( like 12-14?)

I'm glad I live somewhere that doesn't have thunder.

The only thing Lady Bear appears to be afraid of is fireworks. She gets frantic, runs around the house, whines and generally flips out. We were all going to be out of the house watching the fireworks from a boat. We had to decide if it was better to leave the dog at home or take her with us. We decided she could be alone at home rather than directly under the giant explosions.

addition: My boyfriend wanted to stay at home with her but he ended up having to go.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I'm glad I live somewhere that doesn't have thunder.

The only thing Lady Bear appears to be afraid of is fireworks. She gets frantic, runs around the house, whines and generally flips out. We were all going to be out of the house watching the fireworks from a boat. We had to decide if it was better to leave the dog at home or take her with us. We decided she could be alone at home rather than directly under the giant explosions.

addition: My boyfriend wanted to stay at home with her but he ended up having to go.

Yeah Dogs + Boats+ Fireworks probably would have ended badly.

Also I want to ask how a place can't have thunder.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    we ended up giving doggy valium to our jack russell when he started freaking out about thunder

1-2 hours before a storm his tail would go down and he'd start pacing around

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We left our dogs at home for the celebrations.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    we ended up giving doggy valium to our jack russell when he started freaking out about thunder

1-2 hours before a storm his tail would go down and he'd start pacing around
    We had a big (100~ lbs) golden mix who was absolutely fearless, with the exception of thunder/fireworks/gunshots. Those made her cower and wet herself in terror.

Living on a storm plain that was frequently hunted and 300 yards from our town's yearly fireworks display was unfortunate for her.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    July 4th was actually the best day for my dogs. When the fireworks were intermittent the days before and after, they went barked and ran around looking for people at the front door for every single one. On July 4th though, they eventually got used to them and ignored them.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    Backstop wrote: »
    My wife's brother got a pug a couple of years ago and it spends about 23 hours a day in the crate. When they let him out he runs wild, jumping up on people and trying to burn off energy so they beat him with a newspaper and stick him back in the crate. Their daughter says things like "I hate this dog" and "I wish we could get a Pomeranian" and so forth. The daughter really wants to be a veterinarian, but I'm hoping that she goes to college and picks a different career.
    If you don't want to treat a dog right, don't get one. There are plenty of options to find a better home for that pug.

Pugs are one of the sweetest breeds out there and I'd rescue them all if I had the ability to take on another dog.

Seriously, what the fuck

How can you utter "I hate this dog" and keep it in a crate all day and then think you want to be a vet

Medopine on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    July 4th was actually the best day for my dogs. When the fireworks were intermittent the days before and after, they went barked and ran around looking for people at the front door for every single one. On July 4th though, they eventually got used to them and ignored them.

This weekend was awesome for my dogs too. We went down to the parade and saw lots of people and doggies, and then walked around town touring through all the outdoor portions of the arts festival getting drive by pettings from lots of kids (and some parents who used the kids as an excuse to pet them). And that night we went down to the beach and hung out with my cousins and their children. They both couldn't care less that we could feel, not just hear, the big fireworks, or that the kids were throwing and stomping on snaps right next to them. They were just happy to get the pettings from the crowd.

narv107 on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I finally uploaded this, picture of my dog (don't currently live with her, she's with my Mom). She's 15 or so, amazingly high energy even now.
    tootsie3scaled.jpg

edit - I do plan on taking some better pictures but I still haven't done it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    She going blind? Those look like cataracts.

Rust on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Real men like their dogs big and hugable.
    IMG_0157.jpg

He's our pride and joy, a massive dog that eagerly tackles anyone who comes home, always finds something to chew on, bark at, or chase. He's also spoiled rotten, barking loudly when we're engaging in a conversation and aren't paying attention to him.

He's also terrified of thunder and fireworks, always running up to my bed like a big baby whenever a storm breaks out.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    it does look like that but she has shown no outward signs of having trouble seeing besides that. I think they're taking her to the vet next week actually so I'm expecting to hear if anything is wrong, though I should tell them to ask.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I lived with my parents we had a border collie. Smart dog.

Fondest memory I had was of my nephews 4th birthday party. All of the kids were outside playing and Shiva was out there with them, as she was generally good with kids. We hear a bit of crying and some laughing, and take no real notice of it for a bit until my sisters friend comes busting in the house laughing her ass off. She takes us outside and we see Shiva has herded all the fucking kids into a small area, and a few of them are terrified.

Holy shit I never felt so bad for laughing in my life.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    My wife's brother got a pug a couple of years ago and it spends about 23 hours a day in the crate. When they let him out he runs wild, jumping up on people and trying to burn off energy so they beat him with a newspaper and stick him back in the crate. Their daughter says things like "I hate this dog" and "I wish we could get a Pomeranian" and so forth. The daughter really wants to be a veterinarian, but I'm hoping that she goes to college and picks a different career.
    If you don't want to treat a dog right, don't get one. There are plenty of options to find a better home for that pug.

Pugs are one of the sweetest breeds out there and I'd rescue them all if I had the ability to take on another dog.

Seriously, what the fuck

How can you utter "I hate this dog" and keep it in a crate all day and then think you want to be a vet

Maybe she thinks you shoot the dogs to put them down ?

Seriously I'd call an animal rights group or something. That's definitely abuse if you aren't exaggerating.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    haha

herding dogs are known for herding children

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When I lived with my parents we had a border collie. Smart dog.

Fondest memory I had was of my nephews 4th birthday party. All of the kids were outside playing and Shiva was out there with them, as she was generally good with kids. We hear a bit of crying and some laughing, and take no real notice of it for a bit until my sisters friend comes busting in the house laughing her ass off. She takes us outside and we see Shiva has herded all the fucking kids into a small area, and a few of them are terrified.

Holy shit I never felt so bad for laughing in my life.

Eh it'll get them ready for high school cliques.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On the thunder thing when I was younger my family had a pair of samoyeds. Sweetest dogs ever. Use to pull me in a sled when it snowed. But they were afraid of thunder. If we weren't home they had the habit of locking themselves in a closest and then trying to dig through the floor. We had to do a lot of carpet repair because of this in the summer.

Our current Scottie, Hook, is also afraid of Thunder but instead of running around scared or anything he just wants a lap to sit on. So you just hold him and pet him till the storm passes which isn't a big deal. Especially since he is like a big black teddy bear anyways.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

We routinely stay inside on 4th of July and New Years due to fireworks and the fear our dog shows. This 4th I was blaring music to soften the fireworks, which was incredibly effective. Of course, idiots then proceed to set them off throughout the middle of the night, when we are sleeping and without music....

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Medopine wrote: »

Seriously, what the fuck

maybe she wants to be a vet for creepy people, you know the kind of guys that own snakes and/or rats (Incenjucar).

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    haha

And cats. And domesticated rabbits. And shoes.

I knew an Australian Shepherd that wasn't trained to herd, but would walk in extremely tight circles whenever he was agitated.

That's right; he herded air.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    haha

Herding dogs get severely annoyed by Gus at the dog park. Most of them don't swim so they end up barking futilely at the edge of the dog pond.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately, we were declined for our first adoption selection. I think distance was the biggest factor, because they offered to have me select a dog from a closer shelter.

So, the search continues. I really dislike having to fill out applications before meeting the dog and talking to the shelter, but that seems to be the status quo unless I want to go to the SPCA for a pit bull.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't automatically discount Pits. They're great dogs, they just require more responsibility and training than your more popular dogs. They are most definitely not for everyone though, I'm just saying if you have the room, time, and dog experience, there's no reason you couldn't find an absolutely great one.

Obviously I'm biased since I own one though.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    haha

And cats. And domesticated rabbits. And shoes.

I knew an Australian Shepherd that wasn't trained to herd, but would walk in extremely tight circles whenever he was agitated.

That's right; he herded air.

Please tell me you named him Appa.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We just found four puppies and the mother dog under a building at my grandmother's house. So cute, I put some food and water out for them. The puppies are just about past being weaned. No telling how long they've been out there. I tried to get the mother dog to come to me, but she kept her distance and barked at me. Though she appreciated the food.

I already have three dogs at my house, otherwise I would take one (and I still may end up with one), but I guess we'll have to find something to do with them. Both my Aunt and close family friend are real dog people, so I think if they don't find homes with them they'll go to a no-kill animal shelter that the friend volunteers at.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I miss my dog now.

I had a brittany when I was growing up. What an awesome dog. So friendly, so much fun, so much energy. I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

It seems cruel.

I would never declaw a cat. Never.

Ear bobbing isn't something I'd do myself in most cases, but I'm certainly not an expert. There are times when it's important (bulldogs tearing up their own ears, for example), so ruling it out entirely isn't a good idea.

Tail bobbing, in most cases that it's usually done, is there to keep long tails from becoming an issue for the dog. In a lot of cases, this has to do with their uses in the field hunting, though, so if that's not something they're going to be doing it's not as good of an idea. I would personally never bob a dog's tail unless it was going to directly impact their quality of life (as for a hunting spaniel or something). But then, we've got a dog whose bobbing was botched, so I'm biased.

If I didn't know it would be immensely painful I would consider bobbing my adult lab's tail since she has happy tail, and she knows it but can't control it so she ends up getting excited, wagging her tail overly hard, getting blood all over the walls, and then looking really really sorry.

Poor kid just wants to be happy, but ends up making herself sad in the process. :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I don't think any labs' tails should be bobbed, they're like the dog's most distinctive feature.

Mine broke it once by slamming it into a door jamb. It was hanging all limp and sorry for weeks, and when it finally healed he had a weird little dip in the middle of it for the rest of his days.

Rust on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Like I said, I won't do it because it would assuredly be extremely painful, but I know it hurts her, too.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We got my dog exactly 3 years ago today! :D

(and we are taking him to the kennel today... :( going to see the inlaws...)

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brb guys, gonna go pet my dogs.

EDIT: Back, that was fun.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png