As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to find the answer key for a specific text book.

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi everyone. My mom is currently studying to become a teacher. Because she's a busy person she's taking an online course, and it's turning out to be very tough. The teacher is barely reachable so my mom is forced to work through the problems herself, and her assignments are horribly long. She's had almost no free time the past few weeks and it's really been stressing her out.

I've heard some of my friends talking about finding answer keys for whole text books online, and I think that would be a lot of help for her. The problem is I can't find the specific textbook anywhere. I guess it's possible I'm just looking in the wrong places, so I come to you for help. This is the book.

If finding answer keys isn't possible then recommendations for different websites that offer math help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Food on

• Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    <<<I'll think of the website in a little bit if someone doesn't beat me to it. It had user submitted solutions for a good number of books, half of them were free, you could pay to get the other half. It had my E&M and quantum mechanics books in there so surely it has some discrete math book.>>>

^--I think it was cramster, and they don't have that book. One could always break out the instructor's manual: http://www.amazon.com/Discrete-Mathematics-Teachers-Charles-Kenneth/dp/0132152452/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246922071&sr=1-6

It appears to be a crappy textbook, if she has the money to spare, she wouldn't be the first person in the world to buy a textbook of the same subject but of better teaching quality to supplement a crappy assigned one. Hopefully the problems are reasonable but the book just sucks at teaching you to do them, in which case a better book would help. If she has limited interaction with the teacher, that could be the problem.

Of course the classic college advice: She should explain (in person if possible, and very nicely) the situation, NOW, before it becomes a super big omgimgonnafail issue, that she's worried that the various stresses of life and what have you are gonna land her in a omgimgonnafail situation, to the professor. In my experience most professors are amicable to things like extending deadlines. If that's an option for the online course

BlochWave on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have you tried contacting the publisher?

Some are very against providing answer manuals to students (the ignorant publishers are anyway) while others readily supply it.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, it didn't occur to me that she could just buy the answer key online. I think she'll be willing to do that with the way this course has been going.

Food on