As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Visti! - Master of digression. Master! Master!

VistiVisti Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hi guys, so I decided I want to try my hand at some artzingz. So I went down to the art dealer and got myself some Copic markers which I have always coveted. After the initial blow of not being instantly awesome, I have however decided to keep a regular sketchbook in order to improve. Here's page one and some randomness:

Full page:
sketchpad-1.jpg

Closeups:
sketchpad-1-2.jpg
sketchpad-1-5.jpg
sketchpad-1-4.jpg
sketchpad-1-7.jpg
sketchpad-1-6.jpg
sketchpad-1-8.jpg
sketchpad-1-3.jpg

Randoms:
gloomyfella.jpg
gloomyclose.jpg
mossmaniajpg.jpg
sandman.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like them. That is all.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's some really nice character to your art. That said, you really should try studying form and anatomy to make your work more structurally sound.

Tam on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The 'randoms' in particular look pretty nice. Tam's advice would do you well to make them stronger, though.

lyrium on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the guy in your randoms looks like the guy from the IT crowd.

Lovin it 8-)

Leggraphics on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it's Moss. Or it's supposed to be, anyway.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Ah, finally got through my exams for this semester. Anyway, I'm a little frustrated at the way I draw noses, so I've decided to first have a go at doing some and then later looking at a bunch of reference and then doing another page to hopefully see some improvement. Anyway, first set of noses!

noses.jpg

First problem I see looking back at that from earlier today is that I cover up stuff I'm not sure about in a smudge of tone. (tone? Is that the right word. Anyway)

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Another set of first-go noses.

noses2.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, I lied! I didn't have time this week, but here I go! First set:

nosestudybridgman.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh they look sorta boxy. I like.

Noses are hard to draw, I always have issues with perspective or head on noses

worstcase on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, that's Bridgman's style. He sure loves drawing squares. Makes for some very powerful life drawings.

Here's some referenced from Loomis!

studyloomisnoses.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nose art! I like.
    I need to start doing some nose studies, my lack of nose knowledge has become increasingly apparent lately.
    You might say, it's been a bit on the nose?
    *pause for applause*
    Thank you, thank you, please do try the beef.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    Hogarth. I think I'm done looking at noses for tonight.

studyhogarthnoses.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Noses are not only fun, but necessary.

When I clicked on the first post's spoiler tags nothing showed up, then I read all the responses and was all idgi?

Ollie on
  • VandorinVandorin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm loving the depth that your drawings have, keep it up!

Vandorin on
    edited July 2009
    Screwed up bad on this one. Got burnt by painting on one layer in Photoshop..

Going to bed now, but I might try and redraw it tomorrow, losing that stupid sleeve, that I basically made because I totally screwed the rendering of the feathers up.

eagle-cloth.jpg

Here's an earlier version, as well.

ra-fail-1.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    You made me do this.

samdoesnotapprove.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fantastic!

Nice nose studies, too. It's funny how when you box out the planes of a nose you always end up with rugged manly looking noses :P Looks like they are coming along well though!

lyrium on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, that's true. I typically do female noses by adding as little as possible. Maybe I'll look into a female nose study..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Meh. Not happy with refwork tonight.

Untitled-1.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Right! Off to bed.

waits.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey man. Sweet nose studies. I really should do some of that myself. I have always drawn some pretty stylized noses, and realistic ones throw me for a loop off the top of my head.

Definately liking the boxy nose feel, and for the first art I've seen from you, sick work. Glad to see you're really open to study and improvement. Not too much to crtique, except that in your last study, with the hands, you seem to be referencing michaelangelo. I disapprove of this. He didn't have his proportions straight, and some of his hands are... pudgy.

I think it'd be more beneficial for you to pick up a modern day anatomy book. One I've always referenced myself is Giovani Civardi's "Drawing Human Anatomy", which is basically a breakdown of muscle and face structures, and a large number of well drawn studies to reference. It's at almost any art store, or, failing that, Amazon. Just a recommendation, of course.

Keep up the good work.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like you.
    Is that some IT crowd fanart in your OP is the likeness just coincidental

RubberAC on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ahhh Mr Waits, dudes face has buckets of character.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for all the nice comments! Moved my reply to the next page, because I got bottompaged!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Oh yes! And thanks for all the nice comments!

edit: ack, terrible topt:
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    Hey man. Sweet nose studies. I really should do some of that myself. I have always drawn some pretty stylized noses, and realistic ones throw me for a loop off the top of my head.

Definately liking the boxy nose feel, and for the first art I've seen from you, sick work. Glad to see you're really open to study and improvement. Not too much to crtique, except that in your last study, with the hands, you seem to be referencing michaelangelo. I disapprove of this. He didn't have his proportions straight, and some of his hands are... pudgy.

I think it'd be more beneficial for you to pick up a modern day anatomy book. One I've always referenced myself is Giovani Civardi's "Drawing Human Anatomy", which is basically a breakdown of muscle and face structures, and a large number of well drawn studies to reference. It's at almost any art store, or, failing that, Amazon. Just a recommendation, of course.

Keep up the good work.

Actually, I'm referencing Bridgman, I just really wasn't feeling it that time and I was pretty off the mark.

And that is totally IT Crowd fanart! As if one couldn't tell from my sig.

<3

Edit: sorry ' bout the short post, was posting from my phone. Anyway, I have a bunch of anatomy books, that I'm basically working through now. Note that I marked on the nose studies exactly which artist anatomy book I was working off of. Those being Bridgman, Loomis and Hogarth. I think the hand really highlights what I haven't been working on yet and I'm thusly very insecure about hands. Take a look at those eagle pictures.. Even as was moving the composition around, I was too scared to lose the hand I had drawn by dumb luck. And even looking at it now, I'm just boxing out shapes and neglecting details on it left and right.

Long story short, I think next study's gonna be hands. Or perhaps torso/shoulder.. I'm also looking at Hogarths eyes and I love the feel he gets from them. I've got my work cut out for me! Also need to do some gesture stuff. Also, I'm still terrified of pushing any piece beyond sketches. I can't imagine ever finishing anything.
    Mustang wrote:
    Ahhh Mr Waits, dudes face has buckets of character.

It so does. This might sound weird, but I was listening to his Rain Dogs CD (one of my alltime favorites) and I just though, "Man, this guy looks like he sounds. I have to draw this." So, the "cracked" shading was basically an attempt to capture that rusty, weathered feel I always get from him. I sort of succeeded, but I felt I could have pushed it further if I had more knowledge of brushes in Photoshop. I basically only use a hard, round brush and I know nothing about anything else. I digress, though!

tl;dr - I wanted to draw like you could tell he had this voice:

Man, I love this guy.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]