As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2009 BYOC Info/FAQ (BYOC SOLD OUT!)

• CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    I... Am... REGISTEREDDDDDD.......aaa.....a.

yay.

Big Red/Disco, can you MAYBE give us a heads up as to what games/events we may need to install to participate in? I seem to remember last year there was a hiccup in that not enough people had the games to participate in the events...

UT3. Counter-Strike Source. There is always someone playing DOTA.

Two of the games from last year that not enough people had installed was Trackmania and Flatout:UC. Flatout is a fantastic racing game and I hope to see more people with it this year.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my seat between Tajah and S7arbuck. I'm stoked.

EDIT:

Also, just out of curiosity, why no email yet? I definitely checked the box asking to get one once BYOC went live and only through my genius friends knew of this right away.

Is one going out?

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2009
    altmann wrote: »
    Big Red/Disco, can you MAYBE give us a heads up as to what games/events we may need to install to participate in? I seem to remember last year there was a hiccup in that not enough people had the games to participate in the events...
    A rundown of our planned byoc activities will go up before the event, probably between 4-6 weeks from now. The byoc activities are generally one of the last things we plan due to their casual nature.

David Coffman on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A good idea is to bring stuff you like to play, but I remember a shit ton of TF2 last year.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought the process was overly complicated. I finally figured it out.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got my seat between Tajah and S7arbuck. I'm stoked.

EDIT:

Also, just out of curiosity, why no email yet? I definitely checked the box asking to get one once BYOC went live and only through my genius friends knew of this right away.

Is one going out?

Yeah, I never got it, either, not sure it went out.

Side note, was it really that hard to register? I didn't have an account and I got through it in about 5 minutes, easy. Maybe it's a test, like 'you must be this 1337 to enter!':winky:

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The email hasn't gone out yet

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited July 2009
    BYOC is 45% filled up right now :)

BigRed on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Got myself and 2 friends registered. Ill be in seat GI-15, as far as I know.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    BYOC is 45% filled up right now :)

How does that compare to last year? Would last year already be sold out or what?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Nah. It's tough to really compare (some of the conditions are different), but so far it's definitely going faster than last year.

As far as an email, it definitely hasn't gone out and it may not go out at all, depending on how fast the rest of the room sells out.

David Coffman on
    edited July 2009
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    Nah. It's tough to really compare (some of the conditions are different), but so far it's definitely going faster than last year.

As far as an email, it definitely hasn't gone out and it may not go out at all, depending on how fast the rest of the room sells out.

You are cheating.

You said it wouldnt sell out within a week and now are haxing by not sending out the email so you arent proven wrong :P

BigRed on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am sitting on Tycho side M-15. Essentially in the corner. Come say hello.

I was going to be Gabe side, but I saw Tycho was... underrepresented. What can I say I'm a sucker for the underdog.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How the heck do I buy 3 tickets(myself and my two kids). It says the 2 ticket option is sold out. Will it let me purchase a single ticket three times?
    r

Rayman on
    edited July 2009
    There's a cap of 2 byoc seats per account. This is probably something we'll remove next time around, but for now you'd need to create a second account.

David Coffman on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is going to be a long couple of months, I absolutely cannot wait for this shit

byoc.jpg

Azio on
    edited July 2009
    You sir, are in the middle of MADNESS!!!!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay, I'm psyched about this! =) It'll be the first time doing BYOC for me =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

You better be sitting next to me.

Houn on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is looking to be awesome. I am sad that I can't do BYOC this year, but I am hopefully going to be able to hit it up next year.

Wormdundee on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Gonna be a lot of ill will and hard feelings if you don't send the email before it sells out. Just sayin'.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited July 2009
    I'm not entirely sure it can really be avoided, given the demand so greatly outweighs the supply.

The idea, though, is that the people who most want to get into byoc are here, so we give them first crack.

Then there's the people who are interested but haven't been following the forums counting down the days [ie, who would be getting an email].

Then there are the people who, if they happened to see it on the pa front page, would say "hey, I guess that sounds interesting".

David Coffman on
    edited July 2009
    I'm not entirely sure it can really be avoided, given the demand so greatly outweighs the supply.

The idea, though, is that the people who most want to get into byoc are here, so we give them first crack.

Then there's the people who are interested but haven't been following the forums counting down the days [ie, who would be getting an email].

Then there are the people who, if they happened to see it on the pa front page, would say "hey, I guess that sounds interesting".

And the % of people actually showing up drops with each group.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    skarsol wrote: »

Gonna be a lot of ill will and hard feelings if you don't send the email before it sells out. Just sayin'.
    i gotta agree with you. i consider myself reasonably hardcore, but i do retire from the forums each year for several months. i certainly appreciate being given a better chance to get in (as i already did, in a great spot!), but i would not discount bitching by someone taking time off from the forums who was counting on that email.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    The email hasn't gone out yet

Miffed I didn't get an email but glad I checked up on this recently. Registered and paid :)

Viscountalpha on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Where are you Houn? There's like a sea of people =)

That whole lower three rows were taken by the time I signed up (it was super quick! =) ), so I signed up in row 4... but then there was only one seat there and one of the guys who's coming with me wanted in on the BYOC, so now I'm in row 5. =( Where are you at in there?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You're not sitting next to me. You're not even sitting in the bottom three rows. The cool kids rows.

Houn on
  • GiuocoGiuoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else having all kinds of problems registering? I have to use tricks just to log in. I paid using paypal and its still saying I owe. Also I can't even type comments in the support ticket so the admin is getting mad at me for opening new tickets. I'm about to give up.

Giuoco on
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Where are you Houn? There's like a sea of people =)

That whole lower three rows were taken by the time I signed up (it was super quick! =) ), so I signed up in row 4... but then there was only one seat there and one of the guys who's coming with me wanted in on the BYOC, so now I'm in row 5. =( Where are you at in there?

Youre sitting pretty close to me. Im the 4th seat in row 4.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
    edited July 2009
    Giuoco wrote: »
    Anyone else having all kinds of problems registering? I have to use tricks just to log in. I paid using paypal and its still saying I owe. Also I can't even type comments in the support ticket so the admin is getting mad at me for opening new tickets. I'm about to give up.
    If you are still having problems, if you haven't already, shoot us an email at pax_pc@penny-arcade.com.

Sorry you're having problems!

David Coffman on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm signed up.

Those who haven't yet should do so quickly, when I picked my seat about half the spots were gone. It's only been four days.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    An advisable strategy, particularly as we will be sending an email in the next couple days or so.

David Coffman on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    You sir, are in the middle of MADNESS!!!!
    yeah my thought process was "which section has more people, I want in the middle of that"

Azio on
    edited July 2009
    BYOC is 65% full :)

BigRed on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The BYOC sounds really cool, but I suppose it's not something I should be doing my first year at PAX, right?

Also, I'm joining the CCST to get to Seattle and I don't think there's room in the car (or at the BYOC lol) for my 32" monitor/tv, heh.

Rius on
  • GiuocoGiuoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Giuoco wrote: »
    If you are still having problems, if you haven't already, shoot us an email at pax_pc@penny-arcade.com.

Sorry you're having problems!

This issue is resolved ... thanks for the help.

Giuoco on
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    The BYOC sounds really cool, but I suppose it's not something I should be doing my first year at PAX, right?

Also, I'm joining the CCST to get to Seattle and I don't think there's room in the car (or at the BYOC lol) for my 32" monitor/tv, heh.

You should DEFINITELY do BYOC!!! It's like having your own private PAX apartment. you get a little personal space (NO ONE can enter BYOC other than BYOCers). Period. So you won't get bothered. Also, BYOC is like a private party, like the VIP room, the Champagne room or at least the messy basement...

I probably spend maybe %15-25% of my time in BYOC, not a HUGE amount, but it's nice to have that space to chill during PAX and play games. Plus, it's good to let off some steam... by playing on steam... er... yeah.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rius wrote: »

You should definitely do the BYOC. I've done it every year at PAX. Like altmann said, it's like a private party. It's also very handy to have a place to put things, so you're not carrying swag around all day. And of course theres all the TF2.

Getting your setup here sounds like it would be the big problem.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I pretty much just use BYOC as a place to 1) access the internet and 2) dump my stuff, so I don't have to go back to my hotel room to do either of those things. Last year I just brought my laptop and it was fine.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited July 2009
    Also 32" tv/monitor is too big.

the LCD limit is 24" for space/power concerns

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.