As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck yeah. The Chrono Cross OST is still the best thing I have ever whined my parents into importing.

YggiDee on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On top of Dragon God and Chronopolis, I was also quite a fan of the Miguel fight music (People Seized With Life), Time of the Dreamwatch, and Dragonrider. Hell, even the vocal and acoustic guitar credit song. In and out of game, they're some of the most beautiful music in videogame history. In my opinion at least :)

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Time of the Dreamwatch has to be the best Chrono Trigger theme remix I've ever heard.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But this is the best Chrono Cross remix you've ever heard-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vwBXv2VZUw

YggiDee on
    edited July 2009
    I want to have your children.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited July 2009
    I <3 that song so much. Thanks for posting that :D

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    god that's glorious.

I <3 the Chrono Cross soundtrack so so much.

I used to just turn on the game and stand in the overworld with the TV off just to have the music in the background.

I seriously need to pick up the OST.

EDIT: I think Star Stealing Girl is my favorite song; but I might retract that at a future time.

HMM $60 on half.com. Anyone know a better import site that might have it cheaper?

EDIT2: only $37 at playasia. Might spring for that even though it says a week or more wait time.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited July 2009
    Evangir on
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMrhEr7b9-M

EDIT: Soundtrack totally bought. Hope it comes sooner rather than later.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2009
    Yep. Favorite. No questions.

Sorry for spamming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoEMaWrQBQM&feature=related

The Dude With Herpes on

• arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okie, I guess I am going to finally get this for DS.

Without going back through 450+ posts, how did the DS version hold up to the SNES?

Having never played either, am I missing anything important or anything cut from the original?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Here's a rundown of the changes shamelessly stolen from gamespot:

Spoiler-free changelist:
    - The game has been retranslated, and while a majority of the game script is near identical, some of the more famous lines have been changed. Examples of retranslations include the removal of Frog's faux Olde English accent, Magus being referred to as the Fiendlord (and consequently, his army is now simply the Fiends and not the Mystics), and the 12,000 B.C. era being named "Antiquity" instead of "The Dark Ages."
    - The addition of the PlayStation's new features, which include the bestiary, anime cutscenes, music player, and treasure guide
    - The addition of a DS style combat system, which simply moves the commands from the top screen into the bottom screen, clearing up the screen a bit
    - The addition of the Arena of the Ages
    - Contrary to what I said on On the Spot last week, they actually did add an extra spot for a letter in character names, meaning you can name the spiky-haired protagonist Chrono if you so choose. Just know that it's sacrilege.
    - New items. If you thought Rainbow was ridiculous there's a new sword for Crono that's more powerful and has a 90% critical hit rate.
    - The formally missing song Singing Mountain was finally added into this iteration

Spoiler-filled changelist:
    - The addition of the Lost Sanctum. This is a new quest hub that appears in both Prehistory and The Middle Ages eras, and is a settlement of friendly Reptites that were not associated with Azala. While I appreciate the effort to add these new areas into the game, the quests are totally pants, to borrow a British term. They're self-contained to the village and the surrounding new zones, and it's just full of a bunch of boring fetch quests. I hope you like climbing that mountain, 'cause you're going to be doing it like 200 times.
    - The addition of the Dimensional Vortices. This new dungeon is actually a series of three dungeons that appear, one each in the Future, the Present, and Antiquity eras. Each one is composed of single screen areas randomly stitched together (so it is different each time you visit) from all of the dungeons of the game (and including the same monsters that originally appeared in that screen) that culminate in a unique challenge. For example, one of the Vortices requires you answer four multiple choice trivia questions about the game, and another splits your characters up into two separate groups that must work independently. The final bosses of the Vortices are clones of three of your party members, and upon defeating a clone the original receives significant stat boosts. Also, you find out what happened to Dalton, and he claims he will form the greatest army the world had ever seen in Porre, which further ties Chrono Trigger into its sequel, Chrono Cross.
    - An additional ending can be found by beating the game and then revisiting the bucket in the End of Time that originally led to the Day of Lavos. This new location effectively welds Chrono Trigger's notions of parallel time travel together with Chrono Cross' idea of multiple dimensions, and most certainly ties together the two games. You witness the fate of Schala (now the Dream Devourer), and see what is proof that Guile in Chrono Cross really IS Magus and not like, another timeline's Janus that grew up without a crazy mom or something.

EDIT: What the hell? Naming Chrono Chrono is sacrilege? I can't think of a playthrough I didn't name him that.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2009
    The thing I notice most is changes to certain sound effects. The sound on the SNES just seemed better; particularly spells like Flare and Luminaire. Not sure why that would be different though. :(

Other than that it seems a very good port.

Evangir on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/52400.html

Looks like a full Orchestral Chrono Trigger soundtrack coming our way. Fuckin sweet.

It's actually just a reprint of the snes sountrack. The orchestra stuff is just the main theme, and a medley, on an extra dvd.

Yeah, I can't read Japanese, but when the orchestral music was playing it was straight from the CD that came with the pre-orders of CT: DS. And they only listed two tracks. They're pretty good, but the medley is way too short.

But, hey, that CD was one of the reasons why I pre-ordered, so...

ASimPerson on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've recently gone back to Chrono Trigger to get all of endings. I'm a little disappointed to find out that most of them are just variations of the credits.

Peewi on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've recently gone back to Chrono Trigger to get all of endings. I'm a little disappointed to find out that most of them are just variations of the credits.

I was actually thinking of doing just that, but now I'm not so sure D: How many actually different endings are there?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

I was actually thinking of doing just that, but now I'm not so sure D: How many actually different endings are there?

There's room for 13 in the ending log. Some of them are nice, but there's also some that are just stupid things going on next to the credits.

Peewi on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AJMujiJ-UQ&feature=related

I lol'd. Actually pretty impressive.

Zerokku on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    If you've never played this, but have played the others, then play this first.

The problem being that the only ones I played all of were Super Mario RPG (which I can hardly remember) and Earthbound, which I adore and am fine playing through again.

Still play through chrono trigger first :P

Well I saved the Queen then Frog walked off and I wasn't sure where to go next/it was drink special night at Freestate Brewery so I powered off for the night.

I REALLY like that you can avoid battles by walking on certain parts of the map.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2009

The problem being that the only ones I played all of were Super Mario RPG (which I can hardly remember) and Earthbound, which I adore and am fine playing through again.

Well I saved the Queen then Frog walked off and I wasn't sure where to go next/it was drink special night at Freestate Brewery so I powered off for the night.

I REALLY like that you can avoid battles by walking on certain parts of the map.

IIRC it tells you to
    Go back to the canyon you first arrived, and head back to 1000 AD

Glad you're enjoying yourself so far.

Zerokku on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pick up Marle, if you haven't, then go back to the canyon you started out in

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So why has no one made a Chrono Cross thread yet? There'll be much less crossfire, and that game deserves one. (I also started replaying it after finishing CT DS on general principle.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So why has no one made a Chrono Cross thread yet? There'll be much less crossfire, and that game deserves one. (I also started replaying it after finishing CT DS on general principle.)

I pretty much made this as just a CT DS thread but decided to change it to make it an all-encompassing Chrono thread since it started coming up a lot in the Final Fantasy thread.

ASimPerson on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I pretty much made this as just a CT DS thread but decided to change it to make it an all-encompassing Chrono thread since it started coming up a lot in the Final Fantasy thread.

Ah, coolness. It's been surprisingly civil thus far. (CC/CT discussions usually end in tears.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2009
    I personally like to think that it's been done so many times now people know how it'll end.

But since we've yet to crack the 20-page mark maybe we've just gotten lucky so far.

ASimPerson on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Spoiler-free changelist:
    - The game has been retranslated, and while a majority of the game script is near identical, some of the more famous lines have been changed. Examples of retranslations include the removal of Frog's faux Olde English accent, Magus being referred to as the Fiendlord (and consequently, his army is now simply the Fiends and not the Mystics), and the 12,000 B.C. era being named "Antiquity" instead of "The Dark Ages."
    - The addition of the PlayStation's new features, which include the bestiary, anime cutscenes, music player, and treasure guide
    - The addition of a DS style combat system, which simply moves the commands from the top screen into the bottom screen, clearing up the screen a bit
    - Contrary to what I said on On the Spot last week, they actually did add an extra spot for a letter in character names, meaning you can name the spiky-haired protagonist Chrono if you so choose. Just know that it's sacrilege.
    - New items. If you thought Rainbow was ridiculous there's a new sword for Crono that's more powerful and has a 90% critical hit rate.
    - The formally missing song Singing Mountain was finally added into this iteration

- The addition of the Lost Sanctum. This is a new quest hub that appears in both Prehistory and The Middle Ages eras, and is a settlement of friendly Reptites that were not associated with Azala. While I appreciate the effort to add these new areas into the game, the quests are totally pants, to borrow a British term. They're self-contained to the village and the surrounding new zones, and it's just full of a bunch of boring fetch quests. I hope you like climbing that mountain, 'cause you're going to be doing it like 200 times.
    - The addition of the Dimensional Vortices. This new dungeon is actually a series of three dungeons that appear, one each in the Future, the Present, and Antiquity eras. Each one is composed of single screen areas randomly stitched together (so it is different each time you visit) from all of the dungeons of the game (and including the same monsters that originally appeared in that screen) that culminate in a unique challenge. For example, one of the Vortices requires you answer four multiple choice trivia questions about the game, and another splits your characters up into two separate groups that must work independently. The final bosses of the Vortices are clones of three of your party members, and upon defeating a clone the original receives significant stat boosts. Also, you find out what happened to Dalton, and he claims he will form the greatest army the world had ever seen in Porre, which further ties Chrono Trigger into its sequel, Chrono Cross.
    - An additional ending can be found by beating the game and then revisiting the bucket in the End of Time that originally led to the Day of Lavos. This new location effectively welds Chrono Trigger's notions of parallel time travel together with Chrono Cross' idea of multiple dimensions, and most certainly ties together the two games. You witness the fate of Schala (now the Dream Devourer), and see what is proof that Guile in Chrono Cross really IS Magus and not like, another timeline's Janus that grew up without a crazy mom or something.

EDIT: What the hell? Naming Chrono Chrono is sacrilege? I can't think of a playthrough I didn't name him that.

Because his name is Crono without the 'h'?

Cobell on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Was it just me or did Frog's accent go from normal throughout the first half of the game or so and then switched to faux olde english for the second half? If not at least in cases where frog was not forced, but an optional character to bring with you (such as the side quests for better items at the end of the game).

Sanders on
    edited July 2009
    Cobell wrote: »

Spoiler-free changelist:

Because his name is Crono without the 'h'?

Oh, dur; good point.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited July 2009
    http://fangamer.net/products/chronometer

Tempted to pick one of those up for myself. Looks good, and subtle enough to not be screaming "Holy shit I'm a nerd" while wearing it.

Zerokku on
    edited July 2009
    Fuck you Zerokku I just bought one out of impulse oh my god that shirt rocks so hard I got gold + black

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited July 2009
    I now have the shirt and it is awesome

Zephyr_Fate on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yeah we're gonna need to see some pictures of your geek body wearing that shirt.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Ampix wrote: »

Yeah we're gonna need to see some pictures of your geek body wearing that shirt.

I'll have some up by next week. I lack a camera and webcam and I'm not going to be wearing it until my birthday party next friday.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Crossposted from the vgm thread:

There's this new cd coming out that's a bunch of chrono trigger fan arrangements. It's a collab between a bunch of artists, and is being headed by the famous Mustin.

http://baddudesmusic.com/ go here, go to "albums/eps" and click on Chronotorious album, then hit tracks, you can preview all the songs (except the bonus songs).

Check out this fucking badass preview of the magus track http://baddudesmusic.com/music/Dhsu_Vs_Mustin_-_BAMF_(RADIO_EDIT).mp3

NickTheNewbie on
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish them the best with their Square Enix lawsuit for selling the music. Why do they think OC Remix releases their stuff for free?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited July 2009
    I wish them the best with their Square Enix lawsuit for selling the music. Why do they think OC Remix releases their stuff for free?

Surprisingly, game music cover albums are a legal gray area that game companies are surprisingly chill about. I've bought at least 10 vg cover albums in my time, and there are tons out there. I mean how do you think powerglove would get to tour with dragonforce and play their final fantasy music if the companies cared a substantial amount.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

There's this new cd coming out that's a bunch of chrono trigger fan arrangements. It's a collab between a bunch of artists, and is being headed by the famous Mustin.

http://baddudesmusic.com/ go here, go to "albums/eps" and click on Chronotorious album, then hit tracks, you can preview all the songs (except the bonus songs).

Check out this fucking badass preview of the magus track http://baddudesmusic.com/music/Dhsu_Vs_Mustin_-_BAMF_(RADIO_EDIT).mp3

OK, I realize taste is subjective and I've only listened to the preview linked and not the others, but...

That was bad.

The piano is a great and versatile instrument, but it's not always suitable and light piano for this track is... wrong.

Furthermore, that preview is pretty jazzy and swinging. Fighting Magus is a moment of 'Jesus Christ, I'm up against some unknown evil wizard who might unleash the end of the world, and I've already fought through his whole damn castle, and... what are those lights?... is that him?... are we fight..HOLY JESUS HE IS THROWING MAGIC LIKE IT'S NOTHING AND WHY CAN'T I HURT HIM!?' and not a moment of 'Hey, let's lounge!'

Grim Squeaker on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

OK, I realize taste is subjective and I've only listened to the preview linked and not the others, but...

That was bad.

The piano is a great and versatile instrument, but it's not always suitable and light piano for this track is... wrong.

Furthermore, that preview is pretty jazzy and swinging. Fighting Magus is a moment of 'Jesus Christ, I'm up against some unknown evil wizard who might unleash the end of the world, and I've already fought through his whole damn castle, and... what are those lights?... is that him?... are we fight..HOLY JESUS HE IS THROWING MAGIC LIKE IT'S NOTHING AND WHY CAN'T I HURT HIM!?' and not a moment of 'Hey, let's lounge!'

Yeah, I don't really get that Magus track.

It kinda comes off as something you'd hear in Magus' castle if his castle was a dentist's office.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited July 2009
    You might be right about that track, but it fits surprisingly well with many of the other tracks on the album that chose to use that instrumentation. If you can't stand anything but rock, go for the tracks by danimal cannon and ailsean.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited July 2009
    The tracks I've heard so far make me realize that these guys know how to do better remix CDs than OCRemix. FFIV's recent remix album comes to mind...

Zephyr_Fate on