As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"We have a T-rex.." Or Games with Dinosaurs!

ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up.MichiganRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
adviva1_mrdna.jpg

Hi there kids, i'm here to talk to you today about Dinosaurs!

Specifically games with them or where you can play as them!

See one of my earliest gaming memories is loving to death Jurassic Park on the Sega Genesis. Where not only did this happen...

jurassic_park_profilelarge.jpg

But along with a full Dr. grant campaign, you could also play as the raptors.
cap0004.bmp

So let us all talk about games featuring dinosaurs... the good, the bad, the ugly...

Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
Zephos on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Turok

travathian on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hah! holy cow look at this operation flashpoint mod...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuvbouwWDEg

Zephos on
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really liked The Lost World on the Sega Saturn.

You could actually play as a T-rex. It was pretty cool.

Igort on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Best video game T-Rex ever, am I right?

trespasser1.jpg

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually, I'm surprised noone mentioned this yet.

The only game to accurately represent raptors

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I also really liked the Carnivores series, (up until whatever the hell came after Ice Age.) (Edit: its a dinosaur hunting game, since i didnt explain for those who might not know.)

i remember reading this little blurb in the manual and being so amazed by the "AWESOME STORY" set forth by the blurb of text.

" 2190 AD. On a routine exploration mission, science vessel FMM UV discovered a planet with suitable climate for humankind. During the initial scouting expedition, this young planet, code-named FMM UV-32, was declared inhospitable for colony life, due to its unstable terrain and immense population of prehistoric reptiles. News of this amazing planet spread, and articles on the "Dinosaur Planet" lead an earth corporation to purchase the rights to the planet, and create DinoHunt Corp. DinoHunt created the unique opportunity for paying customers to become dinosaur hunters for the first time in 50 million years. You are the newest client of DinoHunt Corp."

Zephos on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stunt driving, murderous hit and run, and velociraptors all in one game? Sweet!

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    ShiflettShiflett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6tA9lHjSdY

I remember playing Primal Rage on the megadrive (genesis) when I was little, enjoyed it back then, not so sure i would now :P

Shiflett on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh how I wish Dino-Riders would get a game.

It would be so epically bad. The toys were awesome though.

Zephos on
  • Options
    Green DestinyGreen Destiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    I also really liked the Carnivores series, (up until whatever the hell came after Ice Age.) (Edit: its a dinosaur hunting game, since i didnt explain for those who might not know.)

i remember reading this little blurb in the manual and being so amazed by the "AWESOME STORY" set forth by the blurb of text.

" 2190 AD. On a routine exploration mission, science vessel FMM UV discovered a planet with suitable climate for humankind. During the initial scouting expedition, this young planet, code-named FMM UV-32, was declared inhospitable for colony life, due to its unstable terrain and immense population of prehistoric reptiles. News of this amazing planet spread, and articles on the "Dinosaur Planet" lead an earth corporation to purchase the rights to the planet, and create DinoHunt Corp. DinoHunt created the unique opportunity for paying customers to become dinosaur hunters for the first time in 50 million years. You are the newest client of DinoHunt Corp."

That does sound pretty fun.

Green Destiny on
  • Options
    vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jurassic Park on the SNES. No saves. That shit was hardcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igk02yl8b-k&feature=PlayList&p=3ADFEC5A5049D455&index=0&playnext=1

edit: It also had the shittiest ending in the history of video games.

vrst on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »

That does sound pretty fun.
    Its pretty no frills for a hunting game, as its ancient, you spawn on an island, walk around and hope you dont walk in the aggro range of a carnivore (or shoot shoot shoot if you do.) Every dinosaur has a kill zone thats 1 shot one kill... once you accrue enough points to go for the t-rex, its only "weakpoint" is its eye.

Zephos on
  • Options
    Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow! those games are really awesome!

Lia Parker on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    vrst wrote: »

video snip!

Back when I was like 9 or 10, I played the shit out of that game. Going back to it now, I could really do without the horrible FPS sections inside buildings.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i never had a SNES, so yeah, but it looks to me that the Genesis 2 versions were the raddest of them all. so i may not have missed out.

Zephos on
  • Options
    vrstvrst Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

video snip!

Back when I was like 9 or 10, I played the shit out of that game. Going back to it now, I could really do without the horrible FPS sections inside buildings.

Yeah, the FPS section is obviously dated, although it was pretty OMG THREE D! at the time.

Also, I was VERY afraid of this game. Something just made it very uncanny for me, especially the indoor sections. I was about 10 at the time as well.

vrst on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    NES version of Jurassic Park was where it was at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AlFUYDnLY

Because of the kick ass music. Aww yeah.
    That they stole from a completely unrelated C64 game

This thread is making me sad though, because it made me think about BC, which should have come out. And E.V.O. which should have had a sequel by now. Also Dino Crisis 3, but that makes me sad for other reasons.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There was an awesome arcade game of Jurrasic Park, where you were in the back of a jeep shooting at dinos.

There was also some game set on an island in the JP universe, I forget the name. It was an FPS and your character was a woman. I thought it was pretty rad at the time (I was 14 or 15?) because your health was displayed as a heart tattoo. On your tits. Yeah, you could look down and stare at your character's tits.

Robman on
  • Options
    SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    There was also some game set on an island in the JP universe, I forget the name. It was an FPS and your character was a woman. I thought it was pretty rad at the time (I was 14 or 15?) because your health was displayed as a heart tattoo. On your tits. Yeah, you could look down and stare at your character's tits.

That would be Trespasser, and those would be Minnie Driver's tits.

SmokeScreen on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Research Indicates entire Let's Play of that game is rather informative and interesting. I suggest watching it if you have the time.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The original Tomb Raider (and subsequent remake) holds a special place in my heart for the scene where the T-Rex comes out at you for the first time. I had to pause and clean my pants out after that.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

video snip!

Why were the dinos exploding?!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i never played trespasser... shame its probably impossible to find these days.

Zephos on
  • Options
    SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played the shit out of Trespasser when I was a kid. I was SO excited when it came out because I was a total freak for Jurassic Park. The physics, the fact that you had to manually aim your gun with the in game cross-hairs, how you could pick up nearly everything and bash in a dinosaurs skull in with it, the way dinosaurs could wreck your shit real fast if you weren't careful, I loved it all.

Oh, back when games weren't "buggy", they were just really hard...

SmokeScreen on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    video snip!
    Why were the dinos exploding?!
    It's like a NES port of Chaos Engine. How odd.

[edit] Trespasser was a combination of loads of brilliant ideas. That all ended up horribly executed. Except possibly the storyline; watching a playthrough of the game is a good way to appreciate the atmosphere without being annoyed by the gameplay.

Glal on
  • Options
    Green DestinyGreen Destiny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, back when games weren't "buggy", they were just really hard...

Those were the good 'ole days :P

Green Destiny on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I always like the KING KONG game's dino sections.
    Especially the T-rex parts...always tense for me.
    157500ss_sm2.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's funny because the first GIS result for Jurassic Park: Trespasser is the PC's tits.

That game could definitely stand to be remade in the Crysis engine, perhaps as a mod. The "total realism" idea was really neat, especially how you couldn't reload guns (no ammo!) and they became improvised clubs after you emptied them.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis was pretty good too. Although its a shame the dino's couldnt breed among other things.

Zephos on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    E.V.O.
    You could be an amphibian with a giant horn and mace like tail, ruining dinosaurs with your awesome, evolving skill set.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I wish I knew the name of this one old PC (or maybe mac) game that used to be on the computers at my elementary school, 7 years ago. it was a 3d game, seemed like N64 quality graphics and you were a raptor or something, and you had a jetpack so you could fly, and you could shoot different kinds of guns and missiles to kill other dinosaurs. I have been trying to find the game ever since :(

Edit: wait! I found it!
    Nanosaur.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joe and Mac series for SNES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxVOpM0p_DQ

Also was an NES game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3uVB62XU0k

And there was a sequel!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFwXj5VMA4U&feature=related

Also, Secret of Evermore had dinos in the first part... Really just raptors.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Of course, how can you go wrong with Dino Crisis (1 and 2, 3 not so much).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNw58nU-p1Q

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    It's funny because the first GIS result for Jurassic Park: Trespasser is the PC's tits.

That game could definitely stand to be remade in the Crysis engine, perhaps as a mod. The "total realism" idea was really neat, especially how you couldn't reload guns (no ammo!) and they became improvised clubs after you emptied them.

Guess what? http://www.moddb.com/mods/jurassic-park

Well, not quite Trespasser.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i'm actually going to re-install Operation genesis based on the fact that there was a mod that was in development forever for it that was finished sometime last year that i want to give a spin. No baby dinosaurs, but apparently the overall AI is vastly improved.

Plus you know, its a fun tycoon style game :D

Zephos on
  • Options
    aspaaspa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aspa on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Theres This Advergame on xbla... its kinda fun for about 2 min... but you get to be a t-rex.

Zephos on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dino. Park. Tycoon.

Played that shit in 4th grade. To this day I still want to play it again.

IvanIssacs on