As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

College Football 2009: To hell with FSU

jjbuck05jjbuck05 Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxWFDgQyZgo

This is the thread where we talk about College Football. Tebow be praised.

College Football is a sport contested between teams fielded (primarily) by American universities and colleges. In a match, or "game", as they are known, two teams alternate attempts at moving an oblong spheroid, called the "football", down the pitch, or "field", towards a goal scoring area, called the "end zone". "Points" are awarded according to the manner in which the goal is scored. At the end of a regulation game, the team with the most points wins.

A more complete discussion of the rules of "College Football" is available here

The most popular kind of College Football is called FBS -- meaning Football Bowl Subdivision. You may remember it as Division 1-A. A summary of the upcoming 2009 FBS season follows. Taylor Mays is listening.
taylor-mays.jpg

Rather than copy and paste a patently stupid top 25 list which is sure to be demolished by week 3, I will briefly summarize the season outlooks of the "contenders" for the National title. Colt McCoy is ready.
image_80635311.jpg

The Contenders

University of Florida
SEC+Football+Championship+Florida+v+Alabama+DQHqtmeLATvl.jpg

The defending BCS National Champions return 20 starters, including 11 on defense. They have a Heisman trohpy winner in Tim Tebow, a top-3 Middle Linebacker in Brandon Spikes and a joke of a schedule. The only games in which the Gators could conceivably be favored by fewer than ten are a visit to Baton Rouge and the Cocktail Party with Georgia. The SEC championship game should be interesting, featuring a rematch of A) the LSU or Arkansas game, B) Last year's SEC championship with Alabama or C) the Gators lone 2008 defeat at the hands of Ole Miss.

University of Oklahoma
SamBradford1.jpg

Last year's BCSNG runner-up returns 9 starters from a defense that, while mediocre on paper, stood relatively tall against the withering offenses of the Big 12 south. The Sooners also return the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Sam Bradford, and electric running back Demarco Murray. One major question is the status of the offensive line, which lost 4 starters from an immensely experience unit. The schedule provides some interesting games: The neutral site opener against an always-game BYU squad and a road trip to a young-but-talented Miami squad in the non-conference, with trips to Kansas, Texas Tech, and Nebraska as well as the highly anticipated Red River Shootout with Texas in-conference.

University of Texas
Colt-McCoy.gif

No player in the nation is as important to his team as Colt McCoy. Aside from his absurd passing stats (34 TD – 8 INT; 3859 yds; 76.7% comp.*). McCoy was also the Horns’ leading rusher, running for 561 yards and 11 TD. McCoy was best in the biggest games, passing at an 80% clip against Oklahoma, 90% against a highly rated (at the time) Missouri team, and 414 yards against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, including a game winning TD drive with just over 2 minutes to play. The only blip was at Texas Tech, when McCoy went for a measly 294 yards at 58%, and accounted for TDs on all three of Texas’ final drives, including the would-be game winner with 5 minutes left.

University of Southern California
ohio_state_usc_football_400.jpg

The Trojans lose key starters at Quarterback and Linebacker, but return All-American safety/cyborg Taylor Mays, a stable of proven runningbacks including Stafon Johnson and Joe McKnight, and most of an already veteran offensive line. Moreover, Pete Carroll is the only coach in college football who recruits like he's playing NCAA Football 2005 -- just 3 players on USC's 2-deep roster were rated fewer than 4 stars. The main storylines will be the Quarterback battle between Aaron Corp, Mitch Mustain and Matt Barkley and the Trojan's potentially brutal road schedule, featuring trips to Ohio State, Notre Dame, Cal, Oregon and Arizona State.

Required Reading

Dr. Saturday

The good Doctor, formerly known as Sunday Morning Quarterback, is the purveyor of the finest commentary weblog on the subject. Regular news postings, thoughtful commentary and insightful analysis all come at the finest of prices: free

EDSBS

Everything Dr. Saturday is not -- partisan, obnoxious and absolutely free of insight OR analysis. Also, effing hilarious.

Smart Football

Fantastic commentary on the X's and O's.

To sum up:

What do you think of college footbal? Does [your team] suck as bad as [pundit] says it does? Will [conference other than your school's] prove itself to be completely overrated, once again? Will Tim Tebow ascend to heaven directly after winning the BCSNCG, or will he stick around for autographs?

Discuss.

A final note: this is my first OP, so please be merciful.

jjbuck05 on

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    your tags are screwed up

also I'm not looking forward to another season of tebow dicksucking

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woooooo true freshman quarterback and traditionally terrible safety play that will be even worse than usual this year! And starting a true sophomore and true freshman at defensive tackle.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to another season of tebow dicksucking

If you'd spend 5 or 20 minutes around him, your life would be better for it!

:x

juice for jesus on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also I'm not looking forward to another season of tebow dicksucking

Same here, if I never heard about Tim Tebow again, it would be too much.

I've never understood the hype over him. Sure, he's tall, he's strong, and he has a little bit of elusiveness, but his passing is far from elite (in both accuracy and arm strength) and I've never really seen a Joe Montana sense of leadership from him.

All I've ever seen is a big, tough rube that can admittedly take a hit, but whose skill set will not translate well to the next level.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited July 2009
    I'm not looking forward to another season of tebow dicksucking

If you'd spend 5 or 20 minutes around him, your life would be better for it!

:x

Thom Brenneman, somehow worse than Lundquist and Danielson. Note: I otherwise love Verne.

enlightenedbum on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I mean not to be down on tim tebow. He seems to be a generally good person who is really good at football. I am just tired of seeing halftime reports about how he read the bible to convicts and how his words to his teammates embody the lord's honest truth or whatever.

I know you have more material on your cards douchebags, talk about something else!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I really could not believe my ears when I heard that quote from Brenneman. He threw all pretense of impartiality out the window there. Nothing against Tebow, I'd just like my national sports broadcasters not to be blatantly partisan. Local broadcasts, sure, who cares.

juice for jesus on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    It's why I watch ESPN with the TV muted and the radio on. God, the Nebraska vs USC games were just a 2 hour long USC blowjob.

also team prediction time! win, loss, can win if the right team shows up

Florida Atlantic
    Arkansas State

Virginia Tech*
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    Missouri *
    Texas Tech
    Iowa State
    Baylor*

Oklahoma
    Kansas*
    Kansas State
    Colorado*

8-4 season probably with a bowl appearance. I have higher hopes for the road games this year since they won't start with 5 home games, so the team should get the road nervousness out a lot sooner.

FyreWulff on
  • Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Go Eagles

Cornell002 on
  • RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woooooo true freshman quarterback and traditionally terrible safety play that will be even worse than usual this year! And starting a true sophomore and true freshman at defensive tackle.

Michigan fan?

Roanth on
    edited July 2009
    Roanth wrote: »

Michigan fan?

Well done. Should be like 7-5, if Forcier is as good in real games as he was in spring practice/the spring game, maybe 8-4 or with the Big Ten sucking 9-3. But 7-5 is the most likely.

enlightenedbum on
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My team is Ohio State. We'll lose to USC at home and one other Big Ten team, ruining a chance at embarrassing ourselves in the biggest spotlight. But since we have the inside track, we'll go to a BCS bowl against an opponent who we have the potential to beat. Unfortunately, one play will screw us over and another bowl loss will end our season. We'll beat Michigan, though. That's always satisfying.

fortis on
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure it's less satisfying when we suck though. It was not quite as enjoyable at the end of Cooper's tenure for us. Still fun, but it gets old eventually.

We'll be back in a few years, this team is super young. Lloyd lost his passion for the game at some point (he was talked out of retiring after 2006 by the AD and you could tell in '07) and that hurt recruiting his last few years, thus: last year (add in the conversion of offenses...). Main goal this year is don't see Nick Sheridan take the field and make a shitty bowl game. Maybe keep the OSU game competitive and ideally beat ND and MSU. But as I said, expecting 7-5, though I haven't worked out the losses yet (OSU, PSU, annnnd after that the Big Ten sucks).

enlightenedbum on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    2 USC pics in the OP. :^:

If you're a football geek, then Smart Football is a great read.

Oregon, it's pretty bad when I can't even tell if lsufreek is joking or not about new uniforms.
    glow_in_the_dark-Unis.gif

I really could not believe my ears when I heard that quote from Brenneman. He threw all pretense of impartiality out the window there. Nothing against Tebow, I'd just like my national sports broadcasters not to be blatantly partisan. Local broadcasts, sure, who cares.

*Tebow flagged for taunting.
    Thom Brenneman: That might be the first thing Tebow has ever done wrong! (Tebow had already thrown 2 INTs in the game)

Oklahoma DB says Tebow would be the 4th best QB in the Big 12.
    Thom Brenneman: That's probably the most ridiculous statement ever made.

Unfortunately, the Tebow worship overshadowed what was the best exchange from FOX's announcers during that game.

*Oklahoma ball on the Florida 2 yard line.
    Thom Brenneman: Should they go for it?
    Charles Davis: Yes, go go go!
    TB: It's risky.
    CD : Go go go!
    *Oklahoma rushes for no gain, bringing up 4th down.

BTW - you can always tell when a game's on FOX. The key indicator is if you take a shot every time the TV shows the band, you know a game was on FOX when you wake up in the hospital with a tube down your gullet.

BubbaT on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I already made a thread for this..but if you wanna use this one, its ok...

On BCS hatred news

Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) gave an OP-ED in Sports Illustrated yesterday.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1157360/index.htm

Complaints about the college football Bowl Championship Series are nothing new. Indeed, it seems every year an obviously deserving team is left out of the BCS due to its arcane and, to put it bluntly, biased nature.

Leaders in Washington are catching on to—and even echoing—the negative feelings about the BCS. During his campaign for president, Barack Obama said he believed the system should be scrapped in favor of a playoff, a stance he reiterated after he was elected. In May the House Energy and Commerce Committee held a hearing on the BCS. And the Senate Antitrust Subcommittee, of which I am a member, has announced it will hold hearings later this month to investigate the antitrust implications of the system.

Although there seems to be a fair amount of public support for these efforts to expose and potentially remedy the unfairness of the BCS, some have questioned whether, given all the challenges our nation faces, it is appropriate for the federal government to expend time and resources on college football's bowl system. However, I believe the case for government involvement—whether from Congress, the courts or the Justice Department—is compelling.

First and foremost there are serious questions regarding the legality of the BCS. The Sherman Antitrust Act prohibits contracts, combinations or conspiracies designed to reduce competition. I don't think a more accurate description of what the BCS does exists.

Under the current plan six conferences, which include slightly more than half of the teams in Division I-A, receive automatic bids to play in the five most prestigious and lucrative bowl games—even if teams from the other five conferences have had better seasons. For instance, in 2008 the only two undefeated I-A teams (Utah and Boise State) were from non-BCS conferences. And two other outside teams (Brigham Young and Texas Christian) finished higher in the BCS rankings than at least one of the champions of an automatic-bid conference. Yet only Utah was invited to play in a BCS game. And although the Utes had plenty of big wins, the BCS system denied them the chance to play for the national championship. So while every conference is technically part of the BCS agreement, the existing arrangement intentionally and explicitly favors certain participants.

In addition, every team from a preferred conference automatically receives a share from an enormous pot of revenue generated by the BCS, even if they fail to win a single game. On the other hand, teams from the less-favored conferences are guaranteed to receive a much smaller share, no matter how many games they win. The numbers are staggering. Last year the Mountain West Conference had one team qualify for the BCS, Utah, as did three of the automatic-bid conferences. Yet under the BCS formula the Mountain West received $9.8 million—roughly half of what the three bigger conferences got. And despite having the nation's only other undefeated team, Boise State, the Western Athletic Conference received just $3.2 million in BCS revenue.

This disbursement scheme places teams from these smaller conferences at a disadvantage when it comes to hiring staff and improving facilities. Because of their increased visibility and status BCS schools also receive an unfair advantages in recruiting top players and coaches. These inequities also extend far beyond the football field, as many schools in the country depend on the revenue generated by their football teams to fund other athletic programs and academic initiatives.

There's no denying that college football is a business. Most schools advertise and market their teams as they would a commercial product. There are also television networks, advertisers and the corporate sponsors that invest in and profit from these bowl games. All told, the BCS games generate hundreds of millions of dollars every year. If the government were to ignore a similar business arrangement of this magnitude in any other industry, it would be condemned for shirking its responsibility. In essence, those making the argument that the BCS is too trivial a matter to receive governmental attention are saying that we should hold colleges and universities to lower standards of fairness and ethical behavior than we would a commercial entity. I must respectfully disagree.

These justifications aside, government intervention into the BCS would be regrettable. There are many issues and challenges competing for Congress's attention. Those with the power to reform the system should do so voluntarily. If not, legislation may be required to ensure that all colleges and universities receive an equal opportunity. Most have argued that some sort of playoff system would be the fairest approach; frankly, almost anything would be better than what we have now. One thing is clear: No changes will take place if Congress does nothing.

Longtime football fan Orrin Hatch is the senior Republican in the senate.

and here is an interesting look at the BCS system Economicaly by a Professor from BYU

http://www.econosseur.com/

NCAA Bowl Finance: Something changed in 1995

With Senator Orrin Hatch's (R-UT) editorial in this week's Sports Illustrated and congressional hearings ready to get underway tomorrow, I couldn't wait any longer to put up this picture. The figure below shows total NCAA bowl payout revenues adjusted for inflation (2008 dollars, CPI) and divided into revenues that went to BCS conference teams and non-BCS conference teams.

TotBowlRevInfAdj-thumb-510x371.png

The three red vertical lines represent the evolution of the BCS system. Some history about the evolution of the BCS system from 1992 to 1998, along with the revenue plot above, gives some insight into the incentives and objectives of the BCS organizers. In 1992, the Bowl Coalition was instituted which took teams from five conferences (SEC, Big 8, SWC, ACC, and Big East) and Notre Dame to play in six bowl games (Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta, Gator, and John Hancock/Sun Bowl).

The Bowl Alliance was instituted in 1995. It looked just like the current BCS except that the Big 10 and Pac 10 remained with their Rose Bowl contract. So the Bowl Alliance involved the SEC, ACC, Big East, and the newly formed Big 12. The Bowl Alliance only included the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and Fiesta Bowl.

Finally, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was instituted for the 1998 season. This consisted of six conferences (SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East) and Notre Dame, and originally only included four bowl games. The BCS now includes five bowl games. The top two teams play for the national title, and the conference champions from the six BCS conferences get automatic bids.

The remaining two slots are considered at-large berths. However, the selection rules are such that the probability of ever having more than one non-BCS team play in a BCS game are close to zero. In fact, before 2006, no non-BCS team could play in a BCS game unless they were in the top six in the final BCS rankings.

In the figure above, the spike in non-BCS revenues in the 2004 season represents the 6th-ranked undefeated University of Utah's (MWC) BCS berth in the Fiesta bowl to play the 21st-ranked Pittsburgh, who Utah defeated 35-7. No non-BCS team played in a BCS game in the 2005 season. In the 2006 season, undefeated Boise State (WAC) earned a BCS bid to play in the Fiesta Bowl and defeated Oklahoma 43-42. Hawaii (WAC) earned a chance to play Georgia in the 2007 season Sugar Bowl, and Georgia won 41-10. And in the 2008 season, the undefeated University of Utah earned it's second BCS bid and defeated Alabama 31-17 in the Sugar Bowl.

The following numbers put in perspective the degree to which NCAA bowl revenues have been concentrated over the last 10 years. In the 2008 bowl season, the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 had bowl payout revenues of $143.2 million, which was 56% of all 2008 bowl revenue. Compare that to the $36.4 million earned in 2008 by all six non-BCS conferences and the independent teams (including Notre Dame) for a whopping 14.3% of 2008 bowl revenues. Note that 55 non-BCS teams took part in that $36.4 million, while 35 SEC, Big 12, and Big 10 teams took part in the $143 million.

It is clear that the conferences leading the BCS system acted strategically in how it was structured. The dissolution of the Southwest Conference and the Big 8 in 1995 and the creation of the new Big 12 at the same time as the Bowl Coalition was clearly a market consolidation. The question that the congressional hearings starting this week will have to answer is whether this constitutes a violation of antitrust law.

I am currently in the process of estimating a model of NCAA football that fits the dynamics of the percentage of BCS and non-BCS teams playing in both BCS and non-BCS bowl games. I can then simulate how annual conference revenues would change over time for BCS and non-BCS conferences if the BCS system were changed. For example, how would revenues change if a playoff system were instituted? Antitrust or not, the figure above demonstrates the resources at stake. Both BCS and non-BCS conferences would do well to evaluate their options carefully.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited July 2009
    man it would be weird to wholeheartedly agree with orrin hatch about something

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited July 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    BTW - you can always tell when a game's on FOX. The key indicator is if you take a shot every time the TV shows the band, you know a game was on FOX when you wake up in the hospital with a tube down your gullet.
    I watched one of Texas' games last season, and they showed that damn band constantly. Fattest band ever.

juice for jesus on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    You can also tell how badly the stadium has emptied by how much of a vertical angle is on the camera.

Man, that one 70-3 Texas/Colorado game, they didn't even show the seats for the last half..

FyreWulff on
  • Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Go Rebels....

They aren't exactly a sleeper, when the Rebels crush the gators in the SEC championship game and its called the "shocker of the nation"......it wont be....I just hope we get to see Tebow cry on national television again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96vAbtpakLg

Sob, cry....lose some more....in the swamp...take that championship and pack it in your ass.....

GO REBS!!!!

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    if nick sheridan steps on the field I will teleport there and kick him in the nuts until he gets off of the field

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Medopine on
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alabama should be up there as a contender. 2 #1 recruiting classes on one team, already coming off an undefeated regular season, returning most of its defense (including Terrence Cody, the best DT in the country), and a lot of talent on offense.

They also have a weak schedule this year (Most difficult games: Virginia Tech in Atlanta, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee all at home, and at Auburn) that should turn into an undefeated regular season.

If they face Florida in the SEC championship game, it should be a tossup. If it's any other team, they should dominate them.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Edgler VessEdgler Vess Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alabama should be up there as a contender. 2 #1 recruiting classes on one team, already coming off an undefeated regular season, returning most of its defense (including Terrence Cody, the best DT in the country), and a lot of talent on offense.

They also have a weak schedule this year (Most difficult games: Virginia Tech in Atlanta, Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee all at home, and at Auburn) that should turn into an undefeated regular season.

If they face Florida in the SEC championship game, it should be a tossup. If it's any other team, they should dominate them.

With no QB, the tide lose to the rebels..even if its played on the moon...when it happens can i quote myself?

Edgler Vess on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009

Helps your recruiting rankings when you oversign so much that they have less than two months to kick 10 guys off the team to hit the scholarship limit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Put Alabama up there but don't put up Utah who showed that the BCS is full of crap? They should be the first team listed, they deserve it.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited July 2009
    I'm sorry, if Nick Sheridan didn't throw up a random duck at the end of the first half for no fucking reason which gets intercepted and sets up a free Utah TD, friggin' Michigan beats them last year. And we were absolutely awful until Minor figured shit out, at which point we were merely normal type awful.

enlightenedbum on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My Alma Mater, TCU, can look forward to another season of everyone talking about "how great they probably are if they could only play some real competition," and end the season in the top fifteen despite playing absolutely no one, and everyone still being bitchy about not having a higher ranking.

I don't know if I can support Div-1A anymore until they actually have a conclusive championship determination. I played at Div-1A and Div-2, and Div-2 has an honest-to-god playoff system, as does the other two divisions that aren't in the BCS leagues. It works fine, I promise you.

Atomika on
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    *sigh*

Another year of mediocre Michigan State football. On the plus side, no Ohio State on the schedule this year, and we play Western Michigan late in the season, so it's kinda like an off week.

However, no Ringer is gonna hurt. No Hoyer might hurt too, although he never struck me as a particularly talented QB.

Squirrelmob on
    edited July 2009
    *sigh*

Another year of mediocre Michigan State football. On the plus side, no Ohio State on the schedule this year, and we play Western Michigan late in the season, so it's kinda like an off week.

However, no Ringer is gonna hurt. No Hoyer might hurt too, although he never struck me as a particularly talented QB.

Weak Big Ten though, Sparty might be the third best team, and with no OSU on the schedule...

It's probably them or Wisconsin, to be honest.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2009
    Weak Big Ten though

Is this something new?

:P

Atomika on
    edited July 2009
    Weak Big Ten though

Is this something new?

:P

Well, outside of OSU's complete inability to beat an SEC team and Michigan's inability to beat a PAC 10 team (but we beat SEC teams!) they do reasonably well in bowl games usually. Except last year, and probably this year.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2009
    Well, outside of OSU's complete inability to beat an SEC team and Michigan's inability to beat a PAC 10 team (but we beat SEC teams!) they do reasonably well in bowl games usually. Except last year, and probably this year.

It's just hard to see perennially the sports media treat the Big 10 like they're the second or third best conference when there's no post-season history to refute such a claim. The Big Ten, for the most part, would have trouble keeping pace with the ACC, or possibly even the Mountain West with BYU, TCU, and Utah on their side.

I think mostly I'd like to see Notre Dame join up and have them play a true championship like the two best conferences, SEC and Big 12, do. And that goes for the Pac-10 as well.

Atomika on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It'll be interesting to see how Florida does with a new Offensive Coordinator.

It'll be more interesting (for me, personally) to see how Mississippi State does with their old one. (Probably not well, as we're in the toughest division of the toughest conference, but we'll see. At least our away games aren't utter destroyers.)

Salvation122 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm sorry, if Nick Sheridan didn't throw up a random duck at the end of the first half for no fucking reason which gets intercepted and sets up a free Utah TD, friggin' Michigan beats them last year. And we were absolutely awful until Minor figured shit out, at which point we were merely normal type awful.

Utah still beat Alabama, and pretty easily too.

The Utes' bigger issue than respect this year is that their roster was basically emptied out by graduation after 2008. Their QB was a 3-year starter and MWC Player of the Year - he's gone, and the backup threw 7 total passes last year. Of their 7 all-conference players, 6 graduated. They lost their top 3 WRs, 60% of their total yards from scrimmage, and the best kicker in the country - who in 4 games decided by 4 points or less was 11/11 on FGs.

Utah should be competitive for the MWC title, but they're not close to a #1 ranking this year - and I thought they were #1 last year (almost losing is still better than losing). They're not set up like a USC who can just reload their roster every year, the reason Utah only shows up every 4-5 years is because they usually have a group of seniors who have played together for 4 years and developed amazing cohesiveness. That's what they had in 2008 and 2005 (Alex Smith's senior year).

Plus Utah is @ Oregon, @ TCU, and @ BYU this year. Those were all home games for them last year. They also lost both coordinators.

TCU are the frontrunners to crash the BCS party.

BubbaT on
    edited July 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    TCU are the frontrunners to crash the BCS party.

Except until postseason, they're not likely to play a top 10 team. Or possibly even top 20.

Atomika on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    fortis wrote: »
    My team is Ohio State. We'll lose to USC at home and one other Big Ten team, ruining a chance at embarrassing ourselves in the biggest spotlight. But since we have the inside track, we'll go to a BCS bowl against an opponent who we have the potential to beat. Unfortunately, one play will screw us over and another bowl loss will end our season. We'll beat Michigan, though. That's always satisfying.

I found out yesterday I have tickets for the USC game. So fucking awesome.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Achem.

WE ARE

Khavall on
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    WE ARE . . .

Disappointing?
    Perennially over-rated?
    Choke artists?
    Coached by Methuselah?

:mrgreen:

Atomika on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Don't you dare say anything about JoePa we have killed for so much less.

Ok, I guess he is old and biblical so we'll let it go for now

Khavall on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Don't you dare say anything about JoePa we have killed for so much less.

Ok, I guess he is old and biblical so we'll let it go for now

8_640x390.jpg

Up.jpg

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing my team (Troy) play Florida this season, despite the fact that we're probably going to get completely butt-fucked.

One Thousand Cables on
This discussion has been closed.