As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] 1/21 - 1/25 Free Return Weekend

• ydejinydejin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Triple B wrote: »
    ydejin wrote: »
    Aumni wrote: »
    How much faster is the Mount when you get it? I'm at 33, eagerly making my way.

One thing to be aware of is that the user-owned mounts are actually quite a bit slower than the horse routes from the stables. If someone purchases a ride from a stable master and you set off at the exact same time as they do, except on your own horse, they will outdistance you quite quickly.

That said the player owned mount is a lot, lot faster than walking. I would say that the user owned horses are somewhere between 1.75x and 2x as fast as walking.

Hoobajoobawhaaa?

User-owned mounts are not restricted to traveling on the roads. Therefore, even if there *is* a physical speed difference, you're able to take such huge shortcuts that you'll always get there first if you're riding your own mount.
    I'm not saying there's no utility on a player-owned horse. I'm just saying I was really disappointed to discover when I got my horse that it goes a fair bit slower than the horse-routes. I want Aumni to be prepared for it, so he's not also disappointed when he gets his mount.

I would say a lot depends on the route and how high-level the character is. Some routes go fairly straight some don't. From what I've seen the roads are fairly clear of mobs and staying on the road does tend to reduce encounters. Cutting across country can be difficult in some areas unless everything is grey because of your character level. For example, I can't imagine trying to get up to Rivendell from Ost Guruth without taking a stable horse, unless everything is Grey to you. It would just take too long fighting every damn mob from the Ford to Rivendell.
    And I think player mounts are actually like a 35% run speed boost, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well be). They don't overtake a "Forced March"-ing Warden very quickly at all, from what I've seen.

Maybe. Horses sure seem a lot faster. Try playing without a horse with friends on a horse and tell me if you think it's only a minor speed improvement.

ydejin on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I would say a lot depends on the route and how high-level the character is. Some routes go fairly straight some don't. From what I've seen the roads are fairly clear of mobs and staying on the road does tend to reduce encounters. Cutting across country can be difficult in some areas unless everything is grey because of your character level. For example, I can't imagine trying to get up to Rivendell from Ost Guruth without taking a stable horse, unless everything is Grey to you. It would just take too long fighting every damn mob from the Ford to Rivendell.

That is the part that really sucked with one of the book quests (I think volume 1 book 3) to finish you have to fucking go to rivendell when all the monsters are just about purple. Oh god that is pain.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And I think player mounts are actually like a 35% run speed boost, if I'm not mistaken (which I may very well be). They don't overtake a "Forced March"-ing Warden very quickly at all, from what I've seen.

Maybe. Horses sure seem a lot faster. Try playing without a horse with friends on a horse and tell me if you think it's only a minor speed improvement.

I don't consider it a minor improvement at all. It's a hell of an improvement, and you'll never find me arguing that it doesn't beat the shit out of walking everywhere. Even as a hunter, my 15% run speed buff feels nonexistent when a horse gallops by.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

That is the part that really sucked with one of the book quests (I think volume 1 book 3) to finish you have to fucking go to rivendell when all the monsters are just about purple. Oh god that is pain.

Roll an elf and grind the Return to Rivendell deed. :D

freakish light on
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Speaking of mounts. Turbine is holding a horse design contest, so warm up yer Photoshop skills!

I know the perfect horse for this.
    horselb6.jpg

Vray on
    edited July 2009
    Vray wrote: »
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Speaking of mounts. Turbine is holding a horse design contest, so warm up yer Photoshop skills!

I know the perfect horse for this.
    horselb6.jpg

I was wondering how long it would take for this to be posted. :lol:

Triple B on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, hey, new thread!

I've been playing a Warden (Aultar) together with my fiancee and have really been enjoying it. I tried starting up another hobbit alt (a hunter, his name is Sintango) but the thought of going through the Shire again so soon gave me a headache (I really like the Shire but it's kind of a one shot deal, the whole area takes so god damn long to complete it's insane). So instead of that I rolled a Dwarf Champion named Rokgrimlar.

So I've now tried 3 of the 4 starting areas (I had a Human minstrel a long time ago the first time I played the game) and I must say I like the Dwarven one best. Besides the Vale of Thrain it's very compact, there isn't a whole lot of running. I was able to get leveled up pretty damn quickly.

I'm really enjoying being a Champion too. I'm up to 17 and I love AoEing down groups. I can't wait to start doing actual group content. If there are any other Champions around, I do have a quick question: is it worth it to by the ability to use shields and invest in a decent one? Would doing so make me viable off tank, or a primary tank if we couldn't get a Guardian/Warden?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never did - Im terrible at being a tank in this game.

MrIamMe on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So my friends want me to play this, and I have an important question.

Which classes don't have annoying fucking yell attacks?

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only class I havent seen yell at all is the rune-keeper.

My champ doesnt yell, but does use a horn sometimes.

MrIamMe on
    edited July 2009
    So I've now tried 3 of the 4 starting areas (I had a Human minstrel a long time ago the first time I played the game) and I must say I like the Dwarven one best. Besides the Vale of Thrain it's very compact, there isn't a whole lot of running. I was able to get leveled up pretty damn quickly.

I really like the Dwarf starting area too. The Shire is fun also. The Elvish starting area is IMO pretty weak. There's really not much there, although I suppose you can argue that some of the quests down in the Eastern end of the Dwarf starting valley (say North and East of Tharsi's Lodge) are actually both Elvish and Dwarvish in nature, with some of the quest givers being Elves.

The problem I ran into the first time I played through as an Elf was I ran quest Northward from Celondim (the Elvish starting city) and then I ran into Kheldul (the Dourhand port) which was way out of my league. I wasn't sure what to do after that since the mobs were way out of my league, so I ended up going into the Shire. Turns out if I had tended eastward, instead of westward, after finishing the Celondim/Duillond quest area I would have been in more level appropriate territory.

ydejin on
    edited July 2009
    Arkady wrote: »

Well I can tell you that you absolutely do not want to play a Warden. My Warden yells pretty much constantly, say every 3rd sword stroke. I don't think you want to play a Guardian either. I think my Guardian probably yells a couple times a fight, and he would probably yell even more if he was tanking (I usually play solo).

ydejin on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The warden's yells are rather annoying, I agree. Thankfully spear-shield-spear-shield does a nice amount of damage too. But the bread and butter skills in large fights (ie: spear-shield-fist-(spear) and sp-fi-sh-sp) still involve yelling. :( Also the AoE drains.

AoE drains are fucking awesome, by the way.

Also: Mount>forced march. If only because you can get clubbed in the face a few times before being reduced to walking speed.

Aldo on
  • MatsuhitoMatsuhito Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, resubbing sometime tonight hopefully. Or tomorrow. I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed in like an hour so it really just depends on when I can get back on the computer.

Matsuhito on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Getting aggro on a horse is what makes the reputation mounts so amazing. They're much sturdier.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm the only person who likes the hilarious screaming attacks. My wife thinks they're ridiculous, but I just like the notion that I can scream with such volume and power that things keel over dead. Go Wardens!

Entriech on
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maybe it's a sign you need some breath mints... or something.

I'm kind of annoyed at my minstrel's yelling skills (there are one or two when I'm dpsing). I much rather kill things with my funky drum beat of doom pounding out the deadly ballads.

Kass on
  • FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So me and a friend spent like 3 hours last night playing around with the music system. We had a huge gathering of people listening to us play the pokemon theme song while synced - it was the best thing ever. Any suggestions for good duo or trio songs to play? (maybe with a link to the abc files? :P)

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
    edited July 2009

Burglars don't yell. Hunters don't yell either, and I want to say loremasters are not yellers, though you will probably find yourself yelling YOU SHALL NOT PASS, but that goes away in time.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Burglars don't yell. Hunters don't yell either, and I want to say loremasters are not yellers, though you will probably find yourself yelling YOU SHALL NOT PASS, but that goes away in time.

I haven't had the will to yell about anything since they started retardifying the look of staves... :x

Doomulon on
    edited July 2009
    I dunno my main is a burg, so I have a long sword in one hand and a short dagger in the other. I like the look of it, and I got some help from the burg boards so I'll respec probably tonight to a less dps more utility based build. Though Vilya is still kind of barren of groups. How are books 7 and 8 of volume 2? Are they like the previous books in that mostly solo with one major nasty group instance?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    8 has a tleast 2 group quests. I see LLFs for them flying by on glff a lot.

Aldo on
    edited July 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    8 has a tleast 2 group quests. I see LLFs for them flying by on glff a lot.

Well I don't worry about 8 so much since its new, I'd worry more about getting to 8. Though I was surprised I managed to get up to 7 previously without too many problems. I guess I have to be patient. And it sounds like burgs and specifically gambles got buffed.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    So a few minutes ago, we got the message that Dondorin has left the kinship. Then upon trying to send him a tell, I got the auto-reply "This player does not exist."

Um. What?

Triple B on
    edited July 2009
    So a few minutes ago, we got the message that Dondorin has left the kinship. Then upon trying to send him a tell, I got the auto-reply "This player does not exist."

Um. What?

Do they have server transfers in LOTRO? Maybe he swapped servers or deleted his guy?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009

Um. What?

Do they have server transfers in LOTRO? Maybe he swapped servers or deleted his guy?

They do have Server Transfers.

ydejin on
    edited July 2009
    They do, but for him to bail and not say anything is lame on steroids. He never expressed any displeasure with the kin or the game, as far as I know.

Triple B on
    edited July 2009
    Could be account theft.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could be account theft.

Sounds like something an account thief would say.
    I'm kidding

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could be account theft.

I'm kidding

That sounds like something account thieves would joke about.

freakish light on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So is there a lot of good looking heavy armor at high levels? I'm loving the heck out of my Dwarven Guardian that is now level 15. I see a lot of 60 Champions running around looking insanely awesome, but I haven't even run into a 60 Guardian yet to get a feel for what some of them look like.

As an aside, this game is absolutely terrific. I feel like they snatched little things I've loved about games ranging from EQ to WoW and added their own flavor to make a near perfect PvE experience. I'm a pretty jaded MMOer, and this game is still giving me a lot of wow factor.

Joshmvii on
    edited July 2009
    Heavy armor has a lot of nice looks, and the great thing is with the outfit system you can always look like what you want to no matter what you are wearing.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2009
    Heavy armour wearers can look as cool as they want to, because they put every item that is not class-bound in their cosmetic slots to make the perfect outfit.

The Radiance Set for Guardians looks awesome, though:

b8armor.jpg

Aldo on
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, that is awesome looking. How does one acquire that set?

Joshmvii on
    edited July 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Wow, that is awesome looking. How does one acquire that set?

"Hard" mode of the radiance instances, I think the helm comes from the watcher raid fight? There is a radiance boosting helm from another instance that is non set based.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I might end up trying this again with my wife. Im a fairly long time MMO player/gamer, shes new to the whole thing. She had a Level 30ish mage in WoW, I played paladin, we had good times. But I know shes gonna hate WoW endgame, so looking at a switch.

1) Good idea switching?

2) What class combo should we do?

CangoFett on
    edited July 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    So, I might end up trying this again with my wife. Im a fairly long time MMO player/gamer, shes new to the whole thing. She had a Level 30ish mage in WoW, I played paladin, we had good times. But I know shes gonna hate WoW endgame, so looking at a switch.

1) Good idea switching?

2) What class combo should we do?

Lotro is more about the questing, and story of the quests then wow, you can skip the story and just follow the directions but you miss out on a good chunk of the game. The end game is a lighter form of wow, without the requirement of min maxing, more based on skill.

LOTRO is a bit more grindy, doing deeds can be tedious if you want to maximise your skills you'll end up doing it from time to time.

Class combo is entirely up to you, one thing thats nice about the classes is they tend to duo well for the most part (just don't combine like warden and guardian). You don't need to adhere to a strict healer tank duo.

Captain and any other class would work well, captains are sort of the LOTRO paladin with a pet.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Roll an elf and grind the Return to Rivendell deed. :D

Pfft, I ran from Ost Guruth to Rivendell on my Hunter and never had to engage in combat. Of course, being able to scare away bears and wolves helped.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could be account theft.

I'm kidding

That sounds like something account thieves would joke about.

I wonder if anyone's taken the name "Account" for a burglar yet.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow. Despite my inability to write, a silly blog post I made about a texture glitch has been featured on the launcher. I'll try not to let the e-fame go to my head.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
This discussion has been closed.