As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your secret shame...

• ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I remember back when Mile High Comics had like "100 comics for 20 bucks!" or some shit, and I got a box of the shittiest Malibu, Impact, and Valiant comics possible.

I basically grew up collecting comics this way. As well as bagged copies of Knightfall and Maximum Carnage issues from the grocery store. When i was a little kid i only ever seemed to end up with Archie comics or whatever, so in my teenage years i basically snagged whatever superhero books i could get my hands on. And loved it ALL. I had a poster of Az-Bats on my wall for so long and thought all the metal and blades and whatnot were basically the bee's knees.

I STILL find grab-bag bricks of comics pretty irresistable and STILL think i might run across something awesome in there at some point. Basically i've just gotten a lot of Defenders #1 and everything Josh Blaylock's no-talent ass pumped out for Image before Devil's Due happened. Lots of Liefeld X-Books. Also pretty much every comic Valiant ever released. Every time i move i give away like 300 comics. :)

Scumdogg on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to collect Archie comics when I was 9.

Also: At my godparents cottage I had a ball reading there kids golden age romance comics, but that was more for the kind of thrill you get from watching an uwe boll movie.:lol:

edit: Also: I bought the entire run of gamma corps. It was truly terribad.

Gaddez on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a friend who still buys Sonic comics

He is 20 and a dragon kin.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For years I thought Nightwatch came first.

Shameful.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I own and re-read Danger Girl every few months, which always leaves me feeling like I should be back in highschool.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there is nothing awesome about blackwulf

nothing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought chuck tie-in comics

Were the Chuck tie-ins any good? I saw them on the shelf, week after week, and I was tempted every time but then I never did it.

Lucascraft on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I bought chuck tie-in comics

Were the Chuck tie-ins any good? I saw them on the shelf, week after week, and I was tempted every time but then I never did it.

eh

if you really, really like the show, they're not awful but they aren't anything worth talking about, really

DJ Eebs on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    ruzkin wrote: »
    I own and re-read Danger Girl every few months, which always leaves me feeling like I should be back in highschool.

I too like J Scott Campbell comics. I have the hardback edition of the first Danger Girl series. I really like it.

Bogart on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Here's the thing about Rob Liefeld.

His comics were shitty. And I knew this even as a kid. But he was so pumped about them. Every time Wizard did an interview with him, I would wear through the pages from flipping to it so much. Reading his coke-unbridled enthusiasm for everything ever motivated me to write and draw and were more effective at that than anything I've ever found since.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have two issues of Devin Grayson's Ghost Rider mini. It was one of the first "floppies" I bought after I started buying comics again. I almost didn't buy comics after that.

DouglasDanger on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    ruzkin wrote: »

I too like J Scott Campbell comics. I have the hardback edition of the first Danger Girl series. I really like it.

Danger Girl is awesome and there's no reason to be ashamed of liking it.

Liefeld's art is funky looking in retrospect, but I practically worshipped him during his run on X-Force. I have a weakness for cheap back issues and will buy almost anything in the dollar longboxes if I can get consecutive issues or a full miniseries. My biggest shame, though, is that I've yet to get more than halfway through Incognegro, even though I hyped it up a lot here on the forums and have owned it for two years.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My secret shame is on behalf of the world, for never truly embracing the majestic glory that was...

4741_4_001.jpg

You better believe I own this bad boy in all it's shiny foil goodness.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Regarding Spawn, why was he ever popular? Other than a really cool cape, is there a reason to like him?

Well, I'm enjoying the hell out of the new Spawn arc, which basically a reboot to the whole series.

And reading this thread has reminded me that I also have that issue of Thunderstrike.

Hensler on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i have all that spawn stuff too, it started out as an awesome series and then we found out why MacFarlane needs to stick to drawing and toys.

Spawn actually kept the batarang wound in his face in his series for a while, i thought that was cool.

I have all the HBO VHS tapes of the series which went about the same way, started off awesome, went to shit.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know the horrible early '90s Punisher mini-series where he was basically reborn as an angel or some nonsense and could pull any gun out of his trench coat and hunted gangster demons. I have it. Multiples of all four issues, including all the variant covers and other junk. It's still in my basement in the storage chest. I meant to sell it, but every time I go down to retrieve it, I spend an hour lovingly recalled my mis-spent youth, and it ends up back in storage.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Regarding Spawn, why was he ever popular? Other than a really cool cape, is there a reason to like him?

Well, I'm enjoying the hell out of the new Spawn arc, which basically a reboot to the whole series.

And reading this thread has reminded me that I also have that issue of Thunderstrike.

I'd actually love to know what's happening in Spawn these days. I stopped reading after issue 50 or so.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

I'd actually love to know what's happening in Spawn these days. I stopped reading after issue 50 or so.

Todd McFarlane came back to Spawn a few months ago, but up until that point you didn't miss much - Spawn became a god, a vampire, the end of the world, lots of horrible crap with a handful of good storylines (Cowboy spawn) scattered amidst it.

The reboot starts with Al Simmons/Spawn using his powers to kill himself, and the same moment a mysterious coma patient awakens in a nearby hospital, with no memory of who he is. A big mystery branches out of this and Al's death, and the storyline has been a really good reset of the Spawn mythology, with Heaven, Hell, Sam and Twitch, and everybody in between trying to figure out what's going on. You could basically pick it up here and forget about the past 10 years of Spawn or so. It started in Spawn #185, and I think it's been collected into a trade already.

Hensler on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He also became a hippie.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Todd bought Mark McGuire's home run baseball. Then the record was broken again not long after that.

EDIT: Whoops, need to use some context clues next time.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited July 2009
    You know the horrible early '90s Punisher mini-series where he was basically reborn as an angel or some nonsense and could pull any gun out of his trench coat and hunted gangster demons. I have it. Multiples of all four issues, including all the variant covers and other junk. It's still in my basement in the storage chest. I meant to sell it, but every time I go down to retrieve it, I spend an hour lovingly recalled my mis-spent youth, and it ends up back in storage.

I don't have that one, but I have the sequel where Angel-Punisher teams up with Wolverine to fight aliens or robots or something. I just remember the art was good and I could only find 2 issues of it. So I bought the trade.

Hensler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    He also became a hippie.

Where can I read about Hippie Spawn? That really sounds too ridiculous to pass up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    My secret shame is on behalf of the world, for never truly embracing the majestic glory that was...

4741_4_001.jpg

You better believe I own this bad boy in all it's shiny foil goodness.

So how EXPLOSIVE!!!1! was it, anyways?

BostonGangler on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »

I also used to buy a ton of shitty manga, back in my awkward high school days, but have since sold most of it on eBay, except for the stuff that's actually good, like Onizuka, a dabbling of Lupin, Drifting Classroom, Good-Bye by Tatsumi, and, say what you will, the manga adaptation of Evangelion.

You know the Eva manga still isn't finished? Close to fifteen years now and it's still not over. I bet the Rebuild movies will be finished before the manga.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think my only comics-related secret shame is that i collected a good chunk of Countdown (not the full run) and its tie-ins for the Kyle Rayner appearances

wish i could tell DC that that was why i was buying them, not for their incredibly bad story.

Rans on
    edited July 2009
    hey thunderstrike was boss

ain't no shame there dogg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Shouldn't his name have been Lightningstrike? I mean, thunder doesn't really strike, does it?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited July 2009
    shut yo mouth

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    also the comics I am least not ashamed of owning are the issues of the Punisher where he was turned black

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2009
    also the comics I am least not ashamed of owning are the issues of the Punisher where he was turned black
    How the hell did that happen?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought the Evil Ernie returns White cover varient thinking that Chaos Comics would actually revive the series with a nice reboot only to find out about a month later that Pulido went bankrupt and now only owns Lady Death. I guess though it did give us the awesome Hack / Slash cross over.

So basicly I bought a hardcore cover to a series that died like a week later. Pretty much the reason I only buy trades now as its become a pain for me to collect the individuals. I should go through my old box and see what sort of gems I might have boxed away for all eternity. Think there is the gold foil cable # 1 and such in there.

Psychotic One on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How the hell did that happen?

Punisher nearly died, but his drug addict (I think) female companion was a surgeon or something and repaired him, but she had to use some chemical or something that pigmented his skin black. He then went on to team up with Luke Cage and be two angry black guys:

B2288060.JPG

B2288061.JPG

TexiKen on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    god, I wish I could have been at the pitch meeting that turned the Punisher black. That would have been priceless.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I picked up a copy of a Tarot trade the other day, and flipped through it, even though other people could see me.

KidDork on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    "Hey guys, have you seen New Jack City? How do we put that in the Marvel Universe?"

".......black Punisher?"

"Totally outrageous! Hey look, L.A. Law is on!"

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    B...but...Dying your skin black doesn't make you black. Isn't it even more racist to presume that?! I mean, really Frank? You gon' be all, "Yo Luke man, I feel yo pain, reparations! Curse the white man!"

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I own several issues of NFL Superpro.
    001.jpg

...yeah. I win (or is that lose?)...

ManetherenWolf on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My mom owns the entire 1970s marvel limited KISS series.

Can... Can I be ashamed of my mom?

Edit: The gimmick was that KISS bled into the ink, so each issue was like having KISS's blood.

HadjiQuest on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    "Hey guys, have you seen New Jack City? How do we put that in the Marvel Universe?"

".......black Punisher?"

"Totally outrageous! Hey look, L.A. Law is on!"
    "Guys, I just saw the greatest movie ever on tv. There's got to be a way to use that.

"...blackface Punisher?

see317 on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That has to be the most unintentially racist concept I've ever heard of...and yet it's real. My god Marvel.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png