As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Big smelly head [DOODLE] face with words that make me go ARAHAHREIAHRIA

• PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The last time I bought a pair of jeans, I had to live off of ramen noodles for 3 weeks....But my ass looks HOT!

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my jeans are starting to get destroyed, I get so annoyed when I see people who bought pre ripped jeans

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Skinny jeans make the ladies go wild.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pious wrote: »
    The last time I bought a pair of jeans, I had to live off of ramen noodles for 3 weeks....But my ass looks HOT!

My ass looks like two wheels of mozzarella cheese wheels standing beside one another.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Her hips and upper torso weren't large by any means (though she was rocking some solid Ds), but her waist was so small it was freaky.

that's awesome.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    lollolo WCK- that guy has SERIOUS moose knuckle going on!

NakedZergling on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trying a more realistic style:

KurtVon.jpg

Crits please

brokecracker on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    brokecracker:

It's not bad, but since you asked for crits, here are a few.
    1. There are multiple 'plans' on the face: the mouth/chin are on one plane, the eyes are on another. I don't have my tablet handy at the moment, but think about the lines that run top-to-bottom on the face from eyes to the corner of the lips.
    2. The eyes seem just a little big.

mattharvest on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    snip

Totally knew it was Vonnegut right away.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know how much realism you're trying to go for, cracker, but there's an incredibly charming style in that drawing that I would gladly pay money for. Enhanced by the fact that it's of one of my favorite American authors.

Tam on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks guys!

@ Matt: I totally agree. Once you said it, I can see the mouth is a bit off and the eyes are a bit big. This is why I post stuff here is because you all can see stuff I turn a blind eye to while drawing. I will try and do more frame work before I pencil in the next ones I do.

@ Kealoha and Tam: thanks! I am trying for a recognizable about of realism, you know, so I don't have to explain who it is a picture of if you have seen them before. I am thinking about doing a series of old men who were awesome but are now gone. This was like a test run. Kurt would obviously be in the list.

brokecracker on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks guys!

@ Matt: I totally agree. Once you said it, I can see the mouth is a bit off and the eyes are a bit big. This is why I post stuff here is because you all can see stuff I turn a blind eye to while drawing. I will try and do more frame work before I pencil in the next ones I do.

@ Kealoha and Tam: thanks! I am trying for a recognizable about of realism, you know, so I don't have to explain who it is a picture of if you have seen them before. I am thinking about doing a series of old men who were awesome but are now gone. This was like a test run. Kurt would obviously be in the list.

I know it's just a doodle, but cleaner line work and a cleaner scan would enhance future pieces. :)

NibCrom on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah that looks real nice.

As it is now however, the elements of the face are all kinda independent of each other. Next time try to make the eyes/nose/mouth work together to look like they belong on the same face. As mentioned, they appear to be on different planes and at different angles.

Still, it's a great likeness and the line work is quite good!

earthwormadam on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kkkkkkk, heres a bigger version of the lil red riding hood paintin:
    LittleRed.png
    Also stuff from meh sketchbook:
    My friend and I were talking about Harry potter having wands for hands and then ninjas...and...hmm...
    HarryPotter.png
    Buttahfly
    cocoon.png

worstcase on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    worstcase wrote: »
    HarryPotter.png

:lol: I enjoy this.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2009
    Ha nice potter comic!

I'm working on an enrty for the Terrible Yellow Eyes site and I think I've got the composition worked out.

wildthang.jpg

I'm going to attempt to do this in the Sendak style, with subtle color and thin crosshatching. The image still needs a lot of working out before I get to that point, so any thoughts or crits would be great.

I already know I'm going to be making changes to get the monsters looking a bit more faithful to the book, but feel free to fire away at crits anyway.

earthwormadam on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A thingy I made for the doodle thread in SE++

Mspaint

planetsmallatmosphere.png

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thats pretty amazing for mspaint.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited July 2009
    Jawsome. It'd be cool to make some of the brighter a little gray...maybe a few of them slightly pastel pink/blue/green, too...as stars also have very subtle colors.

Looks like it came out of a videogame or something.

NightDragon on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gave my robot her weapon. Electric yo yo!

power_shot_2.jpg

PROX on
    edited July 2009
    Yea, I should do that... the only one that isn't grey or white is the little representation of betelgeuse, which is a sort of pastel red

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Playing. I know the bg is out of perspective and the line weight is a little off, too. But I like the foreshortening.

sktchcopy.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited July 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    A thingy I made for the doodle thread in SE++

Mspaint

planetsmallatmosphere.png

Man I remember my few ventures into pixel art

have you looked up all those excellent tutorials?

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Tutorials? I used to write some for some other boards... but which tutorials do you mean?

If you got some around I'll happily take a look, as you're a pretty rad artist

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Cracked open a book on crazy (mostly) found art architecture, tried to do something with it. Didn't really like how it turned out, probably a less realistic treatment of it and/or breaking up the large pieces by not slapping them all on one large plane probably could have helped- give them more topography. Plus the colors look ok on one of my monitors and absolutely eye-searing on the other. :/
    piecemeal.jpg
    Ah well.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2009
    Well it looks like someone painted a cool cave-cathedral and then let a kindergartener go to town with crayons.
    Tutorials? I used to write some for some other boards... but which tutorials do you mean?

If you got some around I'll happily take a look, as you're a pretty rad artist

Well, they're not my tutorials, I didn't mean to give you that impression if I did. I just remember finding a most excellent series of tutorials on isometric and non-isometric pixel art going from the basics all the way up to mixing colors. let me see if I can dig them up.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Hey thanks

I basically worked my way up from stick figures and ugly MSPaint doodles throughout the years to learning some techniques to getting certain textures and and impressions of colours out of it

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited July 2009
    Here's one:

http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218

I don't wanna fill the doodle thread up with posts, so I'll just edit and add to this post as I find them

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    Hey thankya, I'll definitely be finding some techniques in here I don't use

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited July 2009
    Crap, most of the artists I remember closed shop. Sorry, duder.

Tam on
    edited July 2009
    That's ok, I'll just practise more

Thanks Tam

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Le crap!
    pg17.jpg

theres too much empty space..and I don't like where I cut off the legs...dunno, prolly just going to touch it up and move on to the next page.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Working on line quality per Tam's advice, what do yo gus think... still shaky on the lineart? And the eyes are just temporary= me toying with the idea of this character having fuscia eyes. Feel free to weigh in your opinion on color. Thanks.

Girlcopy.jpg

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited July 2009
    Looks pretty good to me, line wise. Confidence will come.

I dunno if you were going for realistic proportions or not, but that ear is pretty elfish. Also the eyes and lips are really looking like what your brain thinks those elements look like, and not the complex shapes that they are in reality.

Hair looks nice!

earthwormadam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very fond of your lines monarch, jealous even.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    That's ok, I'll just practise more

Thanks Tam

no prob

213kgns.jpg

edit: as a new beginning painter, I'd love some crittin's on this and the paintings to follow, as I am not entirely convinced I know what the fuck it is I'm doing.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yesss Tamington, you should be doing these all the time, and then, colour.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    Mutton chops yeeeeeeaaaaah

NightDragon on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mariobasmall.jpg

Do threads really fall off the AC that fast? I can't seem to find mine anywhere...
    Anyway, a mario doodle, I might finish it. Any suggestions would be great.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks pretty good to me, line wise. Confidence will come.

I dunno if you were going for realistic proportions or not, but that ear is pretty elfish. Also the eyes and lips are really looking like what your brain thinks those elements look like, and not the complex shapes that they are in reality.

Hair looks nice!

I kinda was going forrealistic proportions in that I have NO idea what thy are... yeah that ear is effed up. I'll fix that. And you are exactly right about the eyes and lips, I didn't use a ref for them so they are just a shape that says "female lips" to me. After I get paid tomorrow I'm getting a decent sketchbook and gonna start doing some candid people studies and try to brush up on my anatomy. I think I might start my own actual thread for that. Thank you for the crit.

Mustang: Wow, thanks for the vote of confidence, sir. I appreciate it.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
This discussion has been closed.