As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google Chrome OS

enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This needs a thread, either here or in G&T.

Intro reading:

Googleblog announcement.

Economist Article:
Clash of the titans
Jul 8th 2009
From Economist.com

Google launches a direct assault on Microsoft with the promise of a new PC operating system

THE announcement came as a humble blog post on Google’s corporate website late on Tuesday July 7th, but it delivers what is likely to be a dramatic shake-up for the information-technology (IT) industry. By promising to release, at some point later this year, an operating system for personal computers the online giant is launching a direct attack on Microsoft, the world’s biggest software firm.

The confrontation is likely to be momentous. Microsoft’s PC operating system, Windows, boasts a market share of nearly 90%. Although the firm’s empire has been showing signs of decline, it remains a dominant power. Yet industry watchers see a huge threat as the mighty internet company moves into new territory. TechCrunch, a leading technology blog, made it clear how vulnerable it believes Microsoft to be, reporting the news as “Google Drops A Nuclear Bomb On Microsoft”.

In reality it will be more of a slow explosion. At first Google’s Chrome OS, as the new software is called, will be targeted only at netbooks, the cheap and smallish laptops that are proving popular. The idea is to provide a compact operating system with a simple user interface that boots up in a few seconds and allows users to work securely and easily with web-based applications, such as e-mail and social networks. This is why the software is based on a stripped-down version of Linux, the popular open-source operating system, and comes with Chrome, the browser that Google released late last year.

And it will take a while for the program to be ready for prime time. “We have a lot of work to do, and we’re definitely going to need a lot of help from the open-source community”, writes Sundar Pichai, the Google executive in charge of the project, in the blog post announcing the new product. The first netbooks running Chrome OS, he explains, will not be available for consumers before the second half of next year.

Yet Google’s intention is clear. It is plans to do what the now-defunct Netscape attempted when it launched its first browser in the mid-1990s: to make Windows obsolete and turn the browser into the dominant computing platform. Eventually Chrome OS will be used to power full-fledged PCs. All applications written for the software will be web-based and will work with other browsers that are compliant with the latest web standards (even those running on Windows). Chrome OS would also allow users to work offline and synchronise changes later.

Microsoft has not offered an official reaction yet. But the firm must have anticipated such a move. Google’s assault comes when the once almighty software giant is vulnerable. Windows Vista, the latest version of its operating system, has not been a success. Its forays into Google’s main territory, web search and online advertising, have not brought big gains. European antitrust authorities are also still pursuing Microsoft, which limits its ability to strike back at Google.

Yet it is much too early to count Microsoft out. It recently launched Bing, a new search service, which has taken some market share from Google. In October, roughly when Google will make Chrome OS available, Microsoft will release the next iteration of its operating system, Windows 7, a version of which is supposed to run well on netbooks. And the firm is spending billions on a “cloud”, a global network of huge data centres, which will rival Google’s infrastructure and allow Microsoft to offer all kinds of web-based applications.

Will there be a clear winner? Probably not in the foreseeable future. The pockets of both firms are simply too deep. And that is a good thing: the epic fight between the two giants promises to speed up innovation. And that is what the IT industry needs to overcome the recession.

NYT Article (hopefully bypassing sign-in wall):
July 8, 2009
Google Plans a PC Operating System
By MIGUEL HELFT and ASHLEE VANCE

SAN FRANCISCO — In a direct challenge to Microsoft, Google announced late Tuesday that it is developing an operating system for PCs that is tied to its Chrome Web browser.

The software, called the Google Chrome Operating System, is initially intended for use in the tiny, low-cost portable computers known as netbooks, which have been selling quickly even as demand for other PCs has plummeted. Google said it believed the software would also be able to power full-size PCs.

The move is likely to sharpen the already intense competition between Google and Microsoft, whose Windows operating system controls the basic functions of the vast majority of personal computers.

“Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS,” said Sundar Pichai, vice president of product management, and Linus Upson, engineering director, in a post on a company blog. “We’re designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the Web in a few seconds.”

Mr. Pichai and Mr. Upson said that the software would be released online later this year under an open-source license, which would allow outside programmers to modify it. Netbooks running the software will go on sale in the second half of 2010.

The company likely saw netbooks as a unique opportunity to challenge Microsoft, said Larry Augustin, a prominent Silicon Valley investor who serves on the board of a number of open-source software companies.

“Market changes happen at points of discontinuity,” Mr. Augustin said. “And that’s what you have with netbooks and a market that has moved to mobile devices.”

But while Google has deep pockets and a vast reach, it is in for a difficult battle when it comes to challenging Microsoft in the operating system market. Many companies have tried this over the years, with little success.

Google’s plans for the new operating system fit its Internet-centric vision of computing. Google believes that software delivered over the Web will play an increasingly central role, replacing software programs that run on the desktop. In that world, applications run directly inside an Internet browser, rather than atop an operating system, the standard software that controls most of the operations of a PC.

That vision challenges not only Microsoft’s lucrative Windows business but also its applications business, which is built largely on selling software than runs on PCs.

Google said Chrome OS will have a minimalist user interface, leaving most space on the screen to applications.

“All Web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite Web technologies,” the company said.

Google has already developed an open-source operating system called Android that is used in mobile phones. The software is also being built into netbooks by several manufacturers.

But Google has not encouraged netbook makers to use Android. The company appears to be positioning Chrome OS as its preferred operating system for netbooks, though it said competition between the two systems would likely drive innovation.

“It makes total sense,” Mr. Augustin said. “Android wasn’t really meant for netbooks.”

Google had planned to unveil the project on Wednesday but moved up the announcement after receiving inquiries from The New York Times, which reported the company’s plans on its Web site late Tuesday. Ars Technica, a technology news site, also reported the outlines of Google’s plan late Tuesday.

Google released Chrome last year, describing it as not only a Web browser but also a tool to let users interact with powerful Web programs like Gmail, Google Docs and online applications created by other companies. Since then, Google has been adding features to Chrome, like the ability to run such applications even when a user is not connected to the Internet.

Google said Tuesday night that it still had work to do to develop a full-fledged operating system. In a recent interview, Marc Andreessen, who created the first commercial Web browser and co-founded Netscape, said Chrome itself was already well along that path.

“Chrome is basically a modern operating system,” Mr. Andreessen said.

The first wave of netbooks relied on various versions of the open-source Linux operating system, and major PC makers like Hewlett-Packard and Dell have backed the Linux software. Intel, the world’s largest chip maker, has worked on developing a Linux-based operating system called Moblin as well. The company has aimed the software at netbooks and smartphones in a bid to spur demand for its Atom mobile device chip.

To combat these efforts, Microsoft began offering its older Windows XP operating system for use on netbooks at a low price. In addition, the company has vowed that its upcoming Windows 7 software, due out this fall, will run well on the tiny laptops, which have stood out as the brightest part of the PC market during the global economic downturn. Microsoft’s current Vista operating system is designed for more powerful machines.

If you post a nice link to other high quality articles, I'll throw them into the OP.

Credits:
mr_ekim - Googleblog post.

enc0re on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    My take: If Google manages to break the MS lock-in by having us use web apps for applications where compatability matters, this could spell the end of MS' de-facto OS monopoly.

At this point, I'm awaiting an announcement detailing how MS will strong arm PC vendors into not preinstalling Chrome OS. Strangely, I think it's us that Google will have the hardest time winning over. After all, I have heard of no plans to compete with MS' DirectX and XBOX/Games for Windows technologies.

enc0re on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They don't seem to be targeting gamers though but instead casual web users

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Which will be a demographic that is both easier and harder to break into.

Easier because they won't have to specifically deal with gaming issues, harder because Windows is ubiquitous and easy to get, and the average PC owner really doesn't have the urge to stick it to the man like a lot of gamers do.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jesus Christ Google. Why don't you just paste your logo over Costco's and call it a day?

Quid on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah if the OS is focused on the netbook market, gaming isn't exactly going to be a priority.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    enc0re wrote: »
    My take: If Google manages to break the MS lock-in by having us use web apps for applications where compatability matters, this could spell the end of MS de-facto OS monopoly.

At this point, I'm awaiting announce detailing how MS will strong arm PC vendors into not preinstalling Chrome OS. Strangely, I think it's us that Google will have the hardest time winning over. After all, I have heard of no plans to compete with MS' DirectX and XBOX/Games for Windows technologies.

As long as I can dual-boot -- which I'm sure will be possible -- Chrome OS is going to be a first-day download for me. No question.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

They may not be targeting us as users, yet. But since breaking into the OEM channels beyond ASUS et al. will be hard as hell, they'll have to target us as "installers."

Because when casual web user Aunt Emma wants "the Google on her CPU," who's she gonna call?
    You. She'll be calling you.

enc0re on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

They may not be targeting us as users, yet. But since breaking into the OEM channels beyond ASUS et al. will be hard as hell, they'll have to target us as "installers."

Because when casual web user Aunt Emma wants "the Google on her CPU," who's she gonna call?

Most likely Aunt Emma won't know what the hell a CPU is and will only care about what's already installed on her computer. She probably wouldn't even realize there was a Google version of Microsoft.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Most likely Aunt Emma won't know what the hell a CPU is and will only care about what's already installed on her computer. She probably wouldn't even realize there was a Google version of Microsoft.
    The marketing push for this is going to need to be pretty substantial to break through the mental monopoly windows has for a lot of people.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't really figure out what the attraction is going to be. I have some ideas but nothing is clicking, I definitely need to wait for more information.

Starting with netbooks seems to be a good strategy, though.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If it's faster than Windows XP I'd consider throwing it on my NetBook. All I use that for is web surfing and taking notes in class.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like google programs, and I use them at home because I'm too cheap to buy MS software, but I run Vista because I wanted DirectX 10. My computer is (sadly) my only gaming platform so I don't expect to be sticking it to the man anytime soon.

Dman on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I assume Google has resources monies to put together a GUI suitably close to Windows XP.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Judging by how little people know about Chrome the browser, I'm not seeing this being any form of massive attack against MS. The marketing required would be immense to even get a little penetration into the mindshare MS has right now for the desktop OS.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I can't really figure out what the attraction is going to be. I have some ideas but nothing is clicking, I definitely need to wait for more information.

Starting with netbooks seems to be a good strategy, though.

If they're following their typical designs, the attraction is ease of use and speed. Essentially they don't add slow crap 0.1% of the users may enjoy, and instead focus on making everyone's experience relatively enjoyable and responsive.

So on an OS level, trying to simplify application installation/removal/updating, simplify basic troubleshooting and device management, and break down the concept of a structured filesystem into a well indexed pile of "your shit"

That's just off the top of my head as to what google has been trying to do with all of their apps.

kildy on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually it would need to be installable from a USB since I don't have CD drive on my netbook. I like the Chrome browser though, but that's more because of how slim it is real estate wise (1024x600 resolution on my netbook) than because it's faster or better or something.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's probably just going to fill the netbooks/portable niche. I think there's a wide open gap of opportunity there. Those machines need something somewhere between a mobile phone GUI and a full blown OS. Either one doesn't do them justice. If the Chrome OS is robust enough to satisfy basic computing needs while being lightweight enough to work efficiently with netbook hardware, it could be a real success.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Judging by how little people know about Chrome the browser, I'm not seeing this being any form of massive attack against MS. The marketing required would be immense to even get a little penetration into the mindshare MS has right now for the desktop OS.

Marketing? Word of mouth. I bet that by week's end half your non-tech friends will know all about Chrome OS.

And they are smart and not starting on the desktop. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they combined Android and Chrome OS to hook us as follows:

smartphone -> netbook -> desktop/laptop

enc0re on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think my main computer, whatever it is, will run Windows for a long time. A netbook, though - if I get one and the Chrome OS is as fast as they (and I) want it to be - would almost certainly be the Chrome OS. Considering Chrome's UI, I'd really like to see what UI they come out with for the OS.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ubuntu is a better OS for the casual web+email computer user than anything else. Free, works out of the box, the new release is about as user friendly as you can possibly get.

But the general public still sees OSX as the easy/artsy/hip OS and Windows as the professional OS.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If Chrome OS boots fast - really fast, like under fifteen seconds from start - a dual-boot would be a nice idea. When You Need Your Internet Fix, Like, Right Now.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll give it a try, but I don't know if it will supplant Windows as my main OS. I mean, I use Chrome almost exclusively at home for surfing the web, but its more because I don't like switching between browsers and because I prefer the way it handles tabs, not because its a superior browsing experience. I think Chrome OS will be a win for me if it can run faster on older hardware (where I'd likely use it) than the Windows alternative while providing basic functionality (web, video, audio, networking). I really don't care much about "sticking it to the man", I care about ease of use, functionality, and cost.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A Google operating system has been anticipated for a long time, but I always figured that we wouldn't hear a word about it until the very day it's available for download. That's the way Google seems to work.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Robert Scoble is saying that Google timed the announcement so that it'd be only a few days before a "big announcement" from Microsoft (whatever it turns out to be). If so, nicely played, Google.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    A Google operating system has been anticipated for a long time, but I always figured that we wouldn't hear a word about it until the very day it's available for download. That's the way Google seems to work.

And it will be in Beta until Microsoft has released Windows 8.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Marketing? Word of mouth. I bet that by week's end half your non-tech friends will know all about Chrome OS.

And they are smart and not starting on the desktop. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they combined Android and Chrome OS to hook us as follows:

smartphone -> netbook -> desktop/laptop

It's not likely that any non tech friend I have will mention this in the least. And these are friends who actively use Chrome now because I sat them down and pointed it out.

There's word of mouth on a lot of things, but new niche operating systems? That's a techie thing. Especially when they're just casually announced and no details are available.

My non techie friends have about a 10% chance of knowing that Windows 7 is incoming soon, or that there's even a new windows coming out.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's not likely that any non tech friend I have will mention this in the least. And these are friends who actively use Chrome now because I sat them down and pointed it out.

There's word of mouth on a lot of things, but new niche operating systems? That's a techie thing. Especially when they're just casually announced and no details are available.

My non techie friends have about a 10% chance of knowing that Windows 7 is incoming soon, or that there's even a new windows coming out.

This is a testable hypothesis. Let's report back with our experiences on Monday. I bet you 10 Dollars* that I'm right.
    *ZWR. Not USD.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sure. You highly overestimate how much my non tech friends give a shit about computers or watch any news that would cover this. <3

kildy on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    If it's faster than Windows XP I'd consider throwing it on my NetBook. All I use that for is web surfing and taking notes in class.

That's pretty much me. I do all of my surfing and networking on my netbook, and if it makes it faster and removes the BS, I'm all about that.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Most likely Aunt Emma won't know what the hell a CPU is

It's that big box that the keyboard is plugged into.
    a.k.a. "the hard drive"

:(

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

That's pretty much me. I do all of my surfing and networking on my netbook, and if it makes it faster and removes the BS, I'm all about that.

Actually one of the observations that often pops up when people discuss OSS alternatives to things like Microsoft Office is that most people only use 10%* of the features. But people use a different 10%, so in the end OO.org has to run around reimplementing everything.

When I think of 'web surfing' I initially think of web browsers - and, well, Chrome does that pretty well.

But I also want Flash and an inbuilt PDF reader (and exactly those and little else). Some other people want extensions, like adblock. Some other people want inbuilt *.doc readers too. Podcasts. Streaming media players. Torrent clients. Messenging clients. etc. etc.

I wonder how Google will deal with that; Linux support varies in quality for things like Flash.

*bullshit number

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are netbooks with built-in mobile broadband widely available in the US yet?

Every so often I see an announcement for a new Asus/Dell/whatever netbook with mobile broadband built-in but then I read a little closer and the broadband is only available in the UK.

If I have to purchase it through a cellular carrier on a contract, that = fail.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OP might want to link to the official blogpost on Chrome OS

Other than the hubbub that Google is trying their hand at OS development, I really fail to see what exactly is so revolutionary about this. Based on the blogpost and by the very name of the product itself, this is essentially a web desktop embeded into a tiny linux OS.

Personally, I wish Google the best, but I'm not sure how they will succeed as others have tried and failed to make significant headway into this concept with large VC funding. Perhaps the convergence of cheap computing and ubiquitous internet connectivity may put Google in a "right place at the right time" situation, provided they can gather enough developer interest for killer-apps.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Those two you linked are completely different concepts - you're right, though, that the "Web OS" concept tried and failed countless times. Google's making an actual operating system, not an AJAX webtop-y thing. Google already has successful webapps that work perfectly with Chrome; they've practically been slowly building up to this for the past five or six years.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is also Google trying it, as opposed to random-company-noone's-ever-heard-of.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am very excited for this.

I have a spare computer laying around here somewhere and would gladly throw a new OS onto it to try it out some.

If I like it a lot then.. I might make a partition on my current back up drive and just use that and use both on the same computer.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So it's essentially Linux + Chrome? That sounds interesting, but I'm not getting all the hype. I mean, I can already install Linux on a netbook and put Chrome on it if I wanted to...

Shadowrunner on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pretty much, but with a new windowing system and UI, which I'm curious to see. Also, they seem to be aiming to make the initial boot-up really fast.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Because teh Googles and its bags of cash is behind this, really. If they can't make OEMs adopt Linux on a broad basis (and thereby present some meaningful competition), who can?

edit: also a UI that is easy for Windows users to migrate to, also pretty cool

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For nearly 10 years I've looked at every move Google makes and thought, "it seems that they have their sights set on M$ and are taking baby steps to make it a real possibility." I wouldn't worry that this is "just targeting netbooks" at this time. I'm convinced that their long-term strategy has always been to take down Microsoft completely.

Yar on