As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dogs] The joy of picking up poop in small plastic bags

• ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Our Boston is mildly afraid of thunder, but fireworks...yeah fireworks are her trigger. She is terrified of them, and won't even go outside for days afterwards. We have to carry her out, for her to do her business.
    Sucks, because we have this moron that lives beside us, and I swear he hangs on to some after a holiday just to scare the neighbors. He'll let off a really loud one between the buildings without warning, or concern for others well-being. I mean, it's dangerous to do that, some explode right over our place. Called the cops on him, but he's one of those, can't tell ME what to do type of assholes.
    Needless to say, Chloe (our Boston) doesn't like it, and I get severely pissed at the guy because of the effect it has on my dog.

Stupid son of bitch.:evil:

On a happier note, Chloe turned 1 year old recently.
    Chloe_Bday_1.jpg

Scotty on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    as much as I love my dogs I don't think i'd ever throw a party for them since they'd have no idea what was going on

Casual Eddy on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    as much as I love my dogs I don't think i'd ever throw a party for them since they'd have no idea what was going on
    Yeah, my dogs have a "party" every day when they get a walk and cookies. A new toy is nice, but my dogs get so excited at everyday things that a party seems unnecessary.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eh. It's just an excuse to go looking for crazy things to give them (like puppy ice cream) and, if you're a complete sadist, dress them up.

Whether they get what's going on is largely irrelevant.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Real men like their dogs big and hugable.
    26097616_.jpg

He's our pride and joy, a massive dog that eagerly tackles anyone who comes home, always finds something to chew on, bark at, or chase. He's also spoiled rotten, barking loudly when we're engaging in a conversation and aren't paying attention to him.

He's also terrified of thunder and fireworks, always running up to my bed like a big baby whenever a storm breaks out.

Jokerman on
    edited July 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Eh. It's just an excuse to go looking for crazy things to give them (like puppy ice cream) and, if you're a complete sadist, dress them up.

Whether they get what's going on is largely irrelevant.

Yeah, there was no "party" per say for Chloe, just the ice cream and a few photos to remember her turning 1.:)

Scotty on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is a great photo Scotty!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And really, you walk up to a dog with his doggy icecream and go "Oh, you don't understand this, I'll just take this icecream" and he'll tell you exactly how much he understands.

Oh, I miss my dog. Dachsen/?Beagle? mongrel (officially he was listed as a mix between "Dachsen" and "a hole in the hedge"). Most embarrassing moment in my life he was involved in. Was out walking him, little old lady comes up to me, looks at him, looks at me and says...
    "Your dog has a huge cock."

There's just no right answer there. "Yes" seems too accepting of the situation, "no" would have been a lie, "I hadn't noticed" a bigger one.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The right answer is pretty simple there: "Well they say dogs resemble their owners..."

firewaterword on
  • toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yay, dog thread! Here's some of the dogs in my life right now:

First up is the loveable Bindi Sue:
    picture015.jpg

This Great Dane is the offspring of one of the largest Great Danes in the US. She's my in-law's dog and is now 2 years old. This was taken when she was about 10 months and she's grown a little bigger than this. I'd show you a comparison shot of her and my wife, but I'm afraid she'd kill me if she found out I posted her picture even if its with Bindi. To give you an idea of how big she was at 10 months, my wife is 5'10" and Bindi is above her head when on her back legs. This dog is loveable and massive!

Next up, Bindi's older brother Bruno:
    Picture017.jpg

Bruno is my sister-in-law's pride and joy. He's a shitzu losaopsa (sp?) mix. He's pretty prissy, but I think it's due to the way my sister-in-law handles him. He's a good dog, but will chew and tear the shit out of any toys you might leave around. My in-laws also have a St. Bernard named Brownie, but I can't find any pictures of him right now. He's old, about 8 years, and the vets have started watching his age since most St. Bernards don't live past 8 or 9 years of age.

Lastly there's my dog, Eddie Vedder:
    Picture016.jpg
    Picture018.jpg
    Picture019.jpg
    Picture020.jpg

When we were looking at new places to live, we found this place that allowed dogs and my wife went on this shelter frenzy looking for one. Well, she saw Eddie and knew that I would love him. I used to have an Australian/German Shepard named Jaime who was this big loveable mutt. She passed on and Eddie is almost exactly like her...but with the attention span of a nut. The shelter found him out in a field with a weiner dog and brought them both in. They thought he was a Rottweiler (sp?) mixed with something else because of his color, but we've found out he's actually a Bernese Mountain Dog mixed with something (my wife thinks a retriever, but I'm still not sold on that). No one would pick him up and the day we tried to get him, they told us that a Rottweiler rescue place had adopted him. After much running around and phone calls we found out they took a different dog and Eddie came home with us (after getting a snip). He's such a good dog and he does not bark...not at anything. He'll grunt and whine and make noises, but he has only barked maybe twice since we've had him. He's a people person and now he thinks he's a cat (a 70 lb cat, but a cat none-the-less).

toolbert on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We filed another application for a puppy.

s1160a1563982m3378558.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited July 2009
    That is a great photo Scotty!

Hey thanks, it helps to have a good camera.:)

Scotty on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Yeah, my dogs have a "party" every day when they get a walk and cookies. A new toy is nice, but my dogs get so excited at everyday things that a party seems unnecessary.

My dogs love Christmas. I always get them a squeaky toy and wrap it up. They get so excited that they just rip through the wrapping paper and then they run around with the new toy. Squeaking it, bringing it to us, playing tug-of-war with each other.

I don't throw them parties or anything, but it is really funny and cute to watch them go after their Christmas present.

Invisible on
    edited July 2009
    Everybody knows that dogs enjoy poker parties.
    Not my image or dogs.
    721645301_d55afe8859.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Dog on the right is totally bluffing.

Rust on
  • Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not my image or dogs.
    721645301_d55afe8859.jpg

How did they get all those beagles to stay there? o_O

This is my puppy his name is george
    firstsnowoftheseason125.jpg

He is the bringer of doom in the ways of kisses, licks nips and bites. He is one of the most laziest, and greatest beagles I have ever seen. However he is full of piss and vinegar so he never stops.

Masked_Mullet on
    edited July 2009
    <3Dawwwww!<3

firewaterword on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    About a week ago we think our dog got stung by a bee or something outside. Her whole face puffed up, eyes almost swelled shut. The vet said to give her an oatmeal bath and a couple milligrams of Benadryl, since she wasn't showing any signs of respiratory distress.

She didn't like the oatmeal bath.

6288_513363495049_176800313_30615770_7285163_n.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had a golden retriever growing up. Everyone always commented that she was the friendliest and most affectionate dog they had ever met. She was a bit on the small side and was two colored: She was almost white when she was a puppy, but then the fur on her back, head, and most of her tale darkened to a golden color while leaving her underside a very light cream color.

She was very unusual for a golden. While she was a very friendly dog as they often are, she hated water. She was scared of our pool. She wouldn't hang her head out the window of a car like most dogs, but would instead breathe in your face and nuzzle you while you were trying to drive. She was also very maternal towards our cat. I'm not sure what she thought our cat was, or maybe if she thought the cat was just another dog. Every night after their dinner, my cat would cuddle up next to my dog, and my dog would clean her. Near the end, as my dog was getting sick, I looked outside once and noticed my cat cleaning my dog by licking and nuzzling her ear, almost like she was trying to comfort her.

It's actually been almost fifteen years since she died. We never got another dog. For one thing, we didn't think the cat would take well to another dog. Second, we weren't sure if we wanted to go through that again, caring for a dog which is basically like a child and getting near the end and having deal with it passing on. I'm not sure if I ever will get another dog. I don't have any pictures, at least not scanned in since she pre-dated digital cameras.

Has anyone posted this yet? http://www.dailypuppy.com/

Dalboz on
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    One of the bigger drawbacks of pet ownership is that they tend to die before you do. Christ knows I'm still pretty torn up from my dog dying four months ago, because for the first five or six years of his life we lived in a pretty crappy neighborhood and he was one of my only friends.

Rust on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    I had a golden retriever growing up. Everyone always commented that she was the friendliest and most affectionate dog they had ever met. She was a bit on the small side and was two colored: She was almost white when she was a puppy, but then the fur on her back, head, and most of her tale darkened to a golden color while leaving her underside a very light cream color.

She was very unusual for a golden. While she was a very friendly dog as they often are, she hated water. She was scared of our pool. She wouldn't hang her head out the window of a car like most dogs, but would instead breath in your face and nuzzle you while you were trying to drive. She was also very maternal towards our cat. I'm not sure what she thought our cat was, or maybe if she thought the cat was just another dog. Every night after their dinner, my cat would cuddle up next to my dog, and my dog would clean her. Near the end, as my dog was getting sick, I looked outside once and noticed my cat cleaning my dog by licking and nuzzling her ear, almost like she was trying to comfort her.

It's actually been almost fifteen years since she died. We never got another dog. For one thing, we didn't think the cat would take well to another dog. Second, we weren't sure if we wanted to go through that again, caring for a dog which is basically like a child and getting near the end and having deal with it passing on. I'm not sure if I ever will get another dog. I don't have any pictures, at least not scanned in since she pre-dated digital cameras.

Has anyone posted this yet? http://www.dailypuppy.com/

My mom is so attached to our dachshund... she's 12 now. I know it's going to emotionally damage her like Carl Fredricksen after Ellie died in "Up!"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gonna contribute to this thread like no one's business.

This is my boy dog, Zeus:
    IMG_0753.jpg

As you can plainly see, he's a total moron. But what you might not know about him is that he's incredibly adorable. Loves to chase tennis balls. If you throw one in his presence, be prepared to continue doing so until either you or he dies of exhaustion.

This is my girl dog, Maggie:
    IMG_0755.jpg

Also a total cutie. But, unlike her darling brother, she's a damn genius. One of the smartest dogs I know. Up until a few years ago she was as springy as a Jack Russel Terrier mix could be (Zeus is a Pomeranian mix, we think) but sadly she was immobilized by bad genes and severe premature arthritis. She's still scrappy as fuck, though. And she can scoot too and fro, albeit in short bursts.

This is my sister's big girl dog, Riley (I'm including her because she's awesome and also lives with me):
    IMG_0754.jpg

A German Shepard/Border Collie mix. Smart as hell. Cute as all get out. Has more personality than the god of charisma himself. And did I mention that she's probably the sweetest dog you'll ever meet? Best part about her: she talks. Sort of, anyways. She halfway barks, halfway howls, halfway speaks in her own crazy little doggie language. Pretty much understands anything and everything you say to her. She can even spell!

Hacksaw on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hacksaw those are some happy looking dogs.

Mr Pink on
    edited July 2009
    Well there was food to be had when those pictures were taken, so that's probably why.

Hacksaw on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

How did they get all those beagles to stay there? o_O

This is my puppy his name is george

He is the bringer of doom in the ways of kisses, licks nips and bites. He is one of the most laziest, and greatest beagles I have ever seen. However he is full of piss and vinegar so he never stops.

Necromancy.
    One beagle staying involves food. Three plus? No I'm sorry there's magic afoot.

All beagles pretend to be lazy. This is a ruse to get your sandwich into range.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • aquiliusaquilius Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Here's our Giant Schnauzer pup, Dutch. We picked him up from a rescue group who had bought out the breeder to get them out of the business. Dutch was about 10 months old in this picture from this past winter.

First Snow:
    CofAse8iyS0h9YuxsSQ68w?feat=directlink

Giant Schnauzers are amazing dogs!

Cheers!

aquilius on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Giant Schnauzers are awesome dogs. Had a pair that lived up the street from me. Completely nuts but great dogs. And Hacksaw, naming a white fluffy ball like that Zeus takes balls much bigger than mine. Great looking dogs. That border collie/German shepherd mix would probably do your taxes if you asked.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2009
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    That border collie/German shepherd mix would probably do your taxes if you asked.
    She can unlock doors. Not just open, unlock.

One time we came home and found her in the yard. This confused us, as all of us specifically remembered locking the door behind us before we left so something like this wouldn't happen (she knows how to get out of the yard). When we went inside to investigate, we found dog saliva on the interior lock. It seems she'd gotten up on her hind legs, twisted the lock open with her mouth, then turned the doorknob and opened the door.

It's worth noting that the door opens into the house.

Hacksaw on
    edited July 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    "Up!" SPOILER

Thanks, dick.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    That border collie/German shepherd mix would probably do your taxes if you asked.
    She can unlock doors. Not just open, unlock.

One time we came home and found her in the yard. This confused us, as all of us specifically remembered locking the door behind us before we left so something like this wouldn't happen (she knows how to get out of the yard). When we went inside to investigate, we found dog saliva on the interior lock. It seems she'd gotten up on her hind legs, twisted the lock open with her mouth, then turned the doorknob and opened the door.

It's worth noting that the door opens into the house.
    My Chihuahua can open his kennel from the inside so now I have to lock it and put an old collar around it.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    aquilius wrote: »
    Giant Schnauzers are amazing dogs!

Cheers!

Every Shnauzer my dog has met has turned into a mortal enemy. Its hilarious.

All I can think of running through his head is "Oh boy oh boy hes over there I can take him I can take him I can take him!"

Wassermelone on
    edited July 2009
    We picked up Jack yesterday!

3713175414_a411207a86_b.jpg

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So cute!

Did you get any sleep at all last night? How old is he?

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • PryanPryan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So my fiancee and I have the pleasure of owning a bull terrier. His name is Monty, and he is basically a clown in a dog suit.

Admiring a hydro electric dam in Vt. Possibly trying to decide how to pee on it
    5415_565506997462_18103484_33843114_3063969_n.jpg

Post-bath catatonia
    5415_565699970742_18103484_33852192_5385820_s.jpg

Deep, sensitive and suitable for MySpace
    3302_558232181252_18103484_33460221_2197727_n.jpg

Why?
    n18103484_32997566_7.jpg
    because that's where socks live.

Pryan on
  • 1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is my Nanook, well technically she became mine AND my girlfriend's ever since I moved in, but she is totally the greatest ever. Sorry if my pictures are crappy.

Short Hair
    NanRyu.jpg

Fuzz Ball
    Nanook1.jpg

again sorry for the white eyes but our house is dark.

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • 1600Points1600Points Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man I love Bull Terriers.

1600Points on
    Steam ID - 1600Points
    Xbox Live - Doctor Xedd
    Gametap - RIbar77
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We (wife and I) have 2 beagles and a bassethound (rescues).

There is just something about having a pack of hound dogs that makes life extra nice. I'd have 10 more if it weren't for the fact that they would eat me out of house and home. (Plus the neighbors would run me out of town due to the howling and barking!)

edit: I'll post a few pics when I get home

Yall on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dogs are like children with shorter lifespans.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Dogs are like children with shorter lifespans.

:(

Don't remind us!

Yall on
  • PryanPryan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1600Points wrote: »
    Man I love Bull Terriers.

They really are cool. Weird looking but with a ton of personality. Much like myself and most of the PA boards!

Pryan on