As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do you eat when you eat alone?

124»

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to fry up hamburger with taco seasonings, then throw that in Mac n' Cheese with some Salsa and Sour Cream on top. Hell, sometimes I'd throw it in a tortilla and eat it that way.

But, my kids won't eat it. *sigh*

Houn on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you can stir fry cauliflower guys it tastes great. just chop it up into little bits.

broccoli too

Don't need to steam them if you don't want

my gf has taught me that the only thing getting in the way of stir frying a vegetable is basically fear of the unknown. ive never had it not taste great.

maybe....sweet potato? Normal potato is great chopped up small enough

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I find differentiating my eating habits between when I'm alone and when I'm with other people very odd. I've never thought of doing that before. I eat "food" when I'm alone or with other people and I never thought to examine if there were any broad differences between the types of food I eat. When I eat alone I usually either make a sandwich or English muffin pizzas or just snack on chocolate, cookies, or crackers. When I eat with other people I'm either eating out or someone is cooking for me. I don't think there's much of a difference between the two. Obviously the latter involves more elaborate food but I don't really have any control over that. I would be perfectly content eating English muffin pizzas with other people.

Sarksus on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My go to meal lately has been salad and a protein of somekind (sometimes chicken, sometimes chopped lunchmeat) cooked in a pan with some barceque sauce with some rice on the side. The salad requires no prep, and I quite enjoying cooking something so simple in a pan.

To simplifly things, I usually cook a bunch of chicken beforehand so I can pull it out as I need it and slice it up.

I'd definitely like to try to make more interesting things but I'm working two jobs right now and don't really have the energy or money to try new things atm.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    When I eat alone, I prefer to be by myself.
    Lots of hot sammiches and simple pastas usually. Delicious fried chicken in various forms as well, but especially mixed with rice, pineapple, and peppers for sweet n' sour.

Aroduc on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My go to meal lately has been salad and a protein of somekind (sometimes chicken, sometimes chopped lunchmeat) cooked in a pan with some barceque sauce with some rice on the side. The salad requires no prep, and I quite enjoying cooking something so simple in a pan.

To simplifly things, I usually cook a bunch of chicken beforehand so I can pull it out as I need it and slice it up.

I'd definitely like to try to make more interesting things but I'm working two jobs right now and don't really have the energy or money to try new things atm.
    what's your strat on cooking a bunch of chicken at once and storing it

because i keep thinking of doing it but i never do

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

what's your strat on cooking a bunch of chicken at once and storing it

because i keep thinking of doing it but i never do

In my experience, I can only do something like this if I'm, like, shredding a breast and making chicken salad, or putting cubes of it on a salad, or something like that. White meat chicken's already far too dry for me, but every time I've tried to store it after cooking it tastes like cardboard within a day. For short storage (2-3 days tops) I just use some tupperware, but for longer durations I'll wrap a single breast in a paper towel sheet, then some aluminum, stick a bunch of the little packages in some tupperware and freeze them, and that lasts for a month.

But, like I said, dryness and all. If you can tolerate that, you're good.

Edit: This applies to boiled breasts and baked breasts, I haven't tried storing grilled breasts.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Breakfast - 4 egg omelet with mushrooms and 1 serving of mozzarella cheese, topped with some black bean salsa.

Lunch - 1 can off tuna mixed with Newman's Own Peach Salsa, served on 2 slices of bread open face and topped with a little cottage cheese. Or Chicken Breast with fruit.

Dinner - 1 cup of raw oats and 2-3 scoops chocolate whey protein mixed with light vanilla soy milk.

Snacks are protein shakes, energy drinks (low/no sugar carb), Fruit, and Natural PB.

For chicken, I usually buy frozen bags from meijers, thaw them, and stick them in a zip lock bag for 2 or 3 days with some sort of light salad dressing (Newman's Own Sun Dried Tomato is my fav for now). Then just broil them in the oven slightly undercooked so when I microwave them later I don't dry them out.

Warder45 on
  • SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Man that omelette sounds delish but then you just ride the train to bland city, don't you?

SQUIRREL! on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Naw, its just his dinner.

Ive done that Newman's peach salsa-and-tuna sandwich thing, actually.

But I toast the bread cause I like crunch.

Arch on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have found, over the months living with another person, my diet has slowly improved. I eat lest pre-made stuff, cook more (my roomie love my cooking, so bonus there). On the other hand I probably eat out a bit more often.

Curly_Brace on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    warder45s got a good healthy day goin there

i need to be like that

though i could stand for a more exciting dinner

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    When I eat alone it's pretty much the same as what I have when people are around: pasta, or a delicious sandwich. Or cereal.

I guess when I'm alone cereal more often happens at like, 3am.

electricitylikesme on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Nachos.

Speaker on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Nachos.
    Don't lie. You've got so many babies lying around I'm sure you get confused sometimes and just start gnawing on them.
    What, a whole 2 little ones now? <3 for you and yours, Speaker

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm bad when I'm alone.

So many chicken nuggets. Probably with a side of rice.

Kraft dinner . . . and usually with whatever leftovers I was supposed to be eating (like half a leftover turkey once) thrown into it.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The biggest difference is I don't host people. Ever. If I'm eating with someone else, that means it's either a restaurant or I'm at a friend's place and they're cooking. If it's a potluck, then I bring up a larger amount of something I normally cook, so I'm guessing that if I ever did host somebody, I would eat pretty much the exact same things I do when I'm alone.

But that's in the past year since giving up potato chips. They were a serious addiction that I would only eat when I was alone. And I'd eat a lot of them. But I don't eat them at all anymore with the exception of parties - I'll munch 'em responsibly. :P

Nova_C on
    edited July 2009
    Nachos.
    Don't lie. You've got so many babies lying around I'm sure you get confused sometimes and just start gnawing on them.
    What, a whole 2 little ones now? <3 for you and yours, Speaker

No no. Just the one. She's terrific though.

But really, when I'm alone I make some vegetable nachos, crack open a cold coca-cola and watch C-Span.

Oh yeah.

Speaker on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why in the world did I think you had two. Hm.

Anyway, mmmm, nachos.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    a cold coca-cola

Regular or diet?

Because if it's diet that sounds like a pretty decent evening to me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited July 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    a cold coca-cola

Regular or diet?

Because if it's diet that sounds like a pretty decent evening to me.

Man what

diet

ahaha

yeck

Speaker on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    warder45s got a good healthy day goin there

i need to be like that

though i could stand for a more exciting dinner

If he's eating off tuna I wouldn't say that's very healthy.

Octoparrot on
  • KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited July 2009
    Something that is going to be the death of me 40 years from now.

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I can't accept going for cheaper food, personally. Yeah it's true that we spend like 9 percent of our income on food as opposed to 15 percent or something in years past, but this is truly your life. Your sustenance. It keeps you going. It's so important that you eat well with high quality ingredients. Take the time to go to the market, instead of the supermart. Spend that extra few percent on food. Make sacrifices on your budget elsewhere, because it will pay off in the long run. That's the one thing my parents didn't allow me to skimp on during school. I was told to live like a peasant, but eat like a king.

The rare times I do eat out, I go to good restaurants. Even alone. It's definitely worth the cost. Nutrition is obviously the most important, but great taste makes it fun. There's so much depth in the world of cuisine, I've not even begun to scratch the surface.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I'm eating alone it's usually Hot Stuffs (Hot Pockets in the states I guess),Michelinas, and other assorted frozen dinners.If I'm feeling fancy then maybe some homemade poutine* (fries,can of gravy, bag of cheese) or Tuna Melts (melted cheese on top of Tuna salad on a piece of french bread).

If I have a guest though, then out comes the Pasta (I make a kickass sauce),thai dishes,steaks,etc. (real food).

* For the poutine connoisseurs out there, yes, I do know that REAL poutine uses cheese curds, not just shredded mozzarella,but I simply don't care.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I almost always eat alone. I also try to cook something totally new at least once a week, and at least two of other nights cook something in my established repertoire. I try to limit myself to one heat-n-eat meal (usually a frozen pizza) each week.

Cooking for yourself is cheap and I happen to be humiliatingly poor at the moment. It's also fun. And healthy, sometimes. The bacon cheeseburgers I grilled last week, not so much.

Come to think of it, cooking for myself and cooking for other people is almost exactly the same, except I don't get any leftovers for the next two days when I cook for other people.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I eat shit when I'm alone (not actual shit, but the nutritional equivalent)

oh fuck something just happened to my back ow ow ow

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png