As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cross-Country Supertrip 2009: There and Back Again

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I updated the groups. We're up to 12/13 cars now. Last year we had 14. I'll be getting started on the handbook soon, so if there's any sections you'd like to see in there, let me know. I still need to do some southern route changes that will be coming soon.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can remove the team Dukes of Cook County, Moe. Never got off the ground, hehe.

Rius on
    edited June 2009
    Bah. Did you manage to join up with another group?

edit: duh, yes you did. I really should read things before posting

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, The White Whale is out of it. We'll see what I manage for transportation, but my Explorer's just been totalled. :(

Theros on
  • w32trojanw32trojan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry to hear about your Explorer. I will know positively if my team is going/and where I will be living and thus starting the trip from about July 11th-12th. I will probably be moving before PAX, but I don't know where yet. It will most likely be Florida (I currently live in Virginia), or failing that, Canada, California, or Germany. When I have finally confirmed something I will be sure to let everyone know.

w32trojan on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Theros wrote: »
    Well, The White Whale is out of it. We'll see what I manage for transportation, but my Explorer's just been totalled. :(

I recommend BUS. DO IT.

Wormdundee on
    edited June 2009
    This is the wrong thread to be suggesting the bus to peole.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peole? Is that Spanish?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • mbradley1992mbradley1992 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    is there anyone coming through Memphis, TN or West Memphis, AR? I saw where there is a waypoint, but does anyone have room who is coming through, and how much is it?

mbradley1992 on
    edited June 2009
    There's a car coming out of Alabaster, AL that needs a driver. Their first stop is in Oak Grove, KY.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey Moe, I found someone over here in NH (at Staples) who's been a long time forum reader but infrequent poster... I'm trying to convince him to join us on the CCST as we speak. =) I'm going to try and point him over here to the thread so he can introduce himself. Our numbers grow! =);)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • teh1337ninj4teh1337ninj4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey Ive been of the forums for a while but haven't posted much. I wanted to join in on the CCST but haven't yet because I live about 120 miles from Seattle. This year I am planning on joining and I hope to have fun

teh1337ninj4 on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    leetninja - The final waypoint is in Ellensburg. If you can get there (take the airporter shuttle?) and if there is spare room in a car at that point (maybe Theros if he gets his new wheels?) you can join us for the final leg.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited June 2009
    I have a car I plan to use as well as at least 2 other riders, I sent my info thing to moe I was just introducing myself. I live in Yakima, that's like a half hour from Ellensburg

teh1337ninj4 on
    edited June 2009
    My mistake. You made it sound like you hadn't joined yet. And yes, I know where Yakima is. I wouldn't know about the Airporter shuttle service otherwise. :P

Liger on
  • brainsmithbrainsmith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, things have changed. Looks like we will be moving to Central Florida in August. I'm not sure what that means for my group, but I know for sure that our route would change if we still decide to go. I will update when i know more.

brainsmith on
    Get your own tauntaun!
    edited June 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    My mistake. You made it sound like you hadn't joined yet. And yes, I know where Yakima is. I wouldn't know about the Airporter shuttle service otherwise. :P

Yeah, my mistake sorry. This will be my 5th year going and the second with my current vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee), it worked really well last year; way better than my old Honda.

teh1337ninj4 on
    edited June 2009
    Exciting news. Qs23 and I have started work on this year's CCST Handbook. This year it will have more information and be more handbook-like. I've even got my cousin to do some minor artwork for the book.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    As for the mentok and his car thing. A possible solution is that when we get into the Indiana waypoint, mentok can gas up and immediately drive to Chicago (meanwhile we hang back in Indiana for an hour before departing), he then picks up geekgrrl and meets you at your place, where he parks his car. The three of you load your gear into your car and depart from there to meet us in Wisconsin. This plan puts things on a tight-ish schedule for departure preparation, but that could be alleviated by you and geekgrrl meeting up beforehand. This solves the car size problem, as you will be able to take your car, which you are more comfortable in. I haven't discussed this with mentok yet, as I only just recently came up with the idea, but I think it's a workable plan.

I think this could work. I would like to get Rius, bad easy and w32trojan together in a chat or on Skype to talk about all this.

We need to have this chat still. I think...

When I get home today I will sign on to Skype and I will look for you guys.
    I am on Twitter now btw. @stevemcbarnes

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
    edited June 2009
    Ahh, Mentok, I joined up with Bob Jackass' group out of the northern Chicago burbs. This way I don't have to mangle two other team's driving schedules and rosters, heh.

Rius on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    Ahh, Mentok, I joined up with Bob Jackass' group out of the northern Chicago burbs. This way I don't have to mangle two other team's driving schedules and rosters, heh.

10-4 good buddy. I just need to talk with w32trojan and geekgrrl now.

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2009
    60 days!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Also, Moe, there's still an error in your OP that bugs me every time I read it, heh. This is copied from your layout of route 1, New York to Fargo.
    Leg 5 - De Forest, WI to Rogers, MN
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 23:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 04:00 CDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

That should read Tuesday, September 1.

Also, yikes. Bob Jackass' group and I are (presumably) going to be meeting up at some point Tuesday evening, driving for several hours to Wisconsin, meeting up with the CCST, and leaving Wisconsin at 11PM local time. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that, hehe.

Rius on
    edited July 2009
    One person should start the trip having been awake for as long as possible so he can get some sleep during the first driver's shift.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• w32trojanw32trojan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm STILL desperately trying to arrange my living situation. As it appears, I will most likely not be moving anywhere, so assuming I go, all the plans and information about my team should remain the same, but unfortunately as I am as of yet still unemployed, I don't know how I'm going to fund the trip. All I lack between now and then is a job, and I'll be 100% for sure going.

w32trojan on
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    Also, Moe, there's still an error in your OP that bugs me every time I read it, heh. This is copied from your layout of route 1, New York to Fargo.
    Leg 5 - De Forest, WI to Rogers, MN
    Departure Point: Travel Centers of America 5901 US Highway 51, De Forest, WI 53532
    Departure Time: Wednesday, September 1, 23:00 CDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 284 mi/5h00m (0:22 Buffer)
    Arrival Point: Travel Center of America 13400 Rogers Dr, Rogers, MN
    Arrival Time: Wednesday, September 2, 04:00 CDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

That should read Tuesday, September 1.

Also, yikes. Bob Jackass' group and I are (presumably) going to be meeting up at some point Tuesday evening, driving for several hours to Wisconsin, meeting up with the CCST, and leaving Wisconsin at 11PM local time. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that, hehe.

Both Werezwolf and I will have worked a full day at work that day, but we've had our share of 24+ hour days of being awake. I'm more worried about the man-funk buildup. :)

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
    edited July 2009
    Both Werezwolf and I will have worked a full day at work that day, but we've had our share of 24+ hour days of being awake. I'm more worried about the man-funk buildup. :)

Febreze Auto is your friend. What I do is actually pack clothes that I'm not going to wear again during the trip, so each day I can change into a new set of clothes each day.

Also, most of the truck stops that are at the waypoints have showers that you can rent for like $10 or so. I'm not exactly sure what that entails, since I've never used one, but I swear somebody on the CCST used them at one point.

Moe? Do you know?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ew, truck stop showers? I envision bad things happening there, not unlike the bad things that happen in prison.

Thanks for the tip on the Febreze Auto. I should get some of that anyway.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
    edited July 2009
    It was Jared, he used the one in South Bend. He said it wasn't bad, though he used the floor mat they give you on the shower floor because he didn't bring any shower shoes.

edit: Also, Truck stop showers have locks on them, much in the way of a private bathroom. It's not like showering after gym in high school.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2009
    Is the Handbook ready yet? I want to read it a dozen times hehe.

Rius on
    edited July 2009
    Ew, truck stop showers? I envision bad things happening there, not unlike the bad things that happen in prison.

I was actually thinking about trying one out if I go this year.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

I was actually thinking about trying one out if I go this year.

Just don't pick the shower with the note that says "For a good time, be here at 9:14"

Or.... do pick that one...

Liger on
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to put a sign on Qs23's shower that says "For a good time, knock repeatedly."

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2009
    FARK:

AAA warns motorists to expect 1 of every 100 highway miles to be under construction this summer. Unless you're driving in Pennsylvania then the inverse will be true.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090710/NEWS02/307109889

So, uh how many hundreds of miles are we driving on this trip? Like 60?

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2009
    That's pretty typcial, I think. That's only really 250-300 miles of construction. Shit, 20 of that is Chicago alone. I'll hit up AAA and get the specifics on what is going to be under construction on our route.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2009
    I don't think we've ever really had a serious problem with construction anywhere else but around Chicago... except that one time leaving Montana.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, is anyone going on the super trip in New Jersey??? I've got a friend there who just lost her ability to get here.

Shade on
    edited July 2009
    The only cars with open space right now are coming from Baltimore and New Hampshire. If she can get herself hooked up with either of those cars, that would work, but I know for at least one of those cars, she has to be able to drive about 8 hours a day.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The only cars with open space right now are coming from Baltimore and New Hampshire. If she can get herself hooked up with either of those cars, that would work, but I know for at least one of those cars, she has to be able to drive about 8 hours a day.

she doesn't have her license yet, that's why she needs a ride. D:

Shade on
    edited July 2009
    I suppose she could ride with the New Hampshire van in that case (would have to ask VT for confirmation though), but she'd have to make her way up to at least Boston or Fultonville, NY.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.