As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arcanum] We were unaware of any activity in the general vasectomy!

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I have three manuals for explosives, but I still can't even make fuel. Good thing I steal more than enough.

Update on Lefty
    Arcanum-026.jpg

As you can see, thieves' skills are next in line for upgrading.
    Arcanum-027.jpgArcanum-028.jpg

sooooo much gold I don't bother selling anything anymore. it's all in a bucket in the warehouse in shrouded hills. the only things I've purchased have been from the fence. The small oiled leather I bought. I think everything else has been stolen.
    Arcanum-029.jpg
    Wearin' the Jewel of Hebe or Charm of Hebe or whatever it's called. Got nothin' better to wear there, and it's not a magic item so I get the full effect (+2 Be, +1 Cha)!

Currently traveling with Jayna and Sogg (he's a good six levels lower than Lefty and Jayna, though D:)

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm gonna pump up my electrical affinity up to 7 to build myself the healing jacket, since I think that will be super-useful

then I may work on explosives. Probably take a point in Herbalism too just so I can make my own healing stuff and eventually ditch Jayna and Virgil.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuck man I think you need to train Throwing above Apprentice at that point.

I guess finding the trainer is the hard part.

august on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Throw some charged rings on that bitch!

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man, the hand cannon is fuckin' ridiculous.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so how do you tell what level your expertise needs to be at for a given schematic?

i'm a thief so i'm fuckin' rich, so i'm just going to buy a bunch of manuals and save myself some effort

but it seems like i have to put points into gunsmithy and such just to make the components i need for found schematics, anyways

hurghlulbhgublt

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I could steal from places if I wanted, maybe if I had the explosive skills for dynamite

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    august wrote: »
    Fuck man I think you need to train Throwing above Apprentice at that point.

I guess finding the trainer is the hard part.

That's on my to-do list for tomorrow! I literally just trained up :)
    Arrath wrote: »
    Throw some charged rings on that bitch!

I think electricity might be my next two level points for that very reason!

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man I need to find some Kathorn Crystal for some glasses and a sheet of Mithril for a gun. Anyone know where I can find them?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I pulled a pile of those crystals out of the BMC mines. Not sure where you'd buy them though.

Mithril you can buy from a dude in the wheel clan mines; one of the vendors will sell it. I think you can also find some somewhere in there, cause I remember holding on to some for a while before concluding I would never use it, then having to go back and buy some for the guy for one of the quests in quintarra.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also part of me really wants to play an evil half ogre technologist. He would wear a monocle, and sneer a lot.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    In Black Root, there's a merchant on the docks. I think the tech gears symbol hangs outside. Anyway, he has two locked barrels and one of them has a sheet of mithril in it.

As for the kathron crystal you'll run into them now and then in magick chests and the like.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man, the hand cannon is fuckin' ridiculous.

In a good way? I'm playing a gunslinger now, but I wasn't sure if the hand cannon was worth building.

Seems like most of the good guns are rifles of some sort.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    This is ridiculous and infuriating, does anyone know how to fix this: Hitting O opens the options menu which causes my game to crash, I don't know how to change key bindings. if I actually manage to access the menu, the names of the options don't appear. My main problem is the entire game crashing if I happen to hit O instead of I (right next to each other on the keyboard...) Anyone have any ideas?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah... I'm pretty sure there's no way to change key bindings.

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My game crashes a lot. I also occasionally get the BSOD when I exit it, but that might just be my computer being shitty.

Ave: In a very good way, especially real-time mode. It's not as long-range as the looking-glass rifle, but it's got way higher damage and in real-time you just fuck everything up nonstop. I think the faster fire rate helps, too.

Also, you can indeed raise skills above their normal level if you're using something to enhance a stat - I had 18 perception, bumped up to 20 with tech goggles, and was able to get my firearms to the final level even though my base stats were lower.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Based on this thread, I bought the game off eBay for a couple of quid, and set about creating a character who was skilled with swords, but would build into a bit of a gunslinger character. I start out at the crash site, search a few bodies, and go into combat against a wolf, assuming it'd be farely easy.

But no. I get a critical failure on my first turn and my arm falls off.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Adventures in Stillwater!

Cool...
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_30PM.png
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_35PM.png

Time to party hard
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_40PM.png
    And of course, it wouldn't be a party without an orgy at the end, would it?
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_13_51PM.png

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Based on this thread, I bought the game off eBay for a couple of quid, and set about creating a character who was skilled with swords, but would build into a bit of a gunslinger character. I start out at the crash site, search a few bodies, and go into combat against a wolf, assuming it'd be farely easy.

But no. I get a critical failure on my first turn and my arm falls off.

I'd like to introduce you to my two friends. F7 and F8.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ave: In a very good way, especially real-time mode. It's not as long-range as the looking-glass rifle, but it's got way higher damage and in real-time you just fuck everything up nonstop. I think the faster fire rate helps, too.

Doesn't it take like 6 bullets a shot, though? I've been using the Fine Revolver in real time, and it burns through ammo way too fast.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Doesn't it take like 6 bullets a shot, though? I've been using the Fine Revolver in real time, and it burns through ammo way too fast.

Hmm, I haven't seen it use up that much ammo. But I'm also so good with guns now that I can headshot most anything.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Adventures in Stillwater!
    Cool...
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_30PM.png
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_35PM.png

Time to party hard
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_14_40PM.png
    And of course, it wouldn't be a party without an orgy at the end, would it?
    Screenshot-7_9_20096_13_51PM.png

This and the Stillwater Giant quest are two of the best in the game, if you ask me.

Arrath on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah but doesn't the Stillwater Giant have like 5 different resolutions?

It's a pretty good one, no matter how you do it though.

The humorous thing is that, if I recall correctly, in one resolution, actually capturing the real one will get you laughed at, and you've got to go find the fake one to actually convince people. Awesome.

I enjoyed the one where you have to go hunt down Terwilliger. Without a strategy guide, that one gets fun.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm settled with 22k gold. I can stop ransacking every merchants' bedroom and start questing again.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    so I'm doing th siamease head quest and
    eariler in the game I grabbed that not in the dudes house and then I dropped it again, so now its gone. Is there any way I can find that dude? I don't remember what the note said

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The note never really said anything special, it's not that important. The quest doesn't tell you where he is yet, so I guess you'll just run into him.

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    alternatively you could just use console commands to regain the item. check gamefaqs or something for the item codes.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    KangarooKangaroo Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Hey suckers.

It was just about two weeks ago I gave in to the urge to start playing Arcanum again. I never did finish the game, and I looked at my save file and realized it was just about three years ago that I paused. Searching Google for info on skills brought me to this thread, where a bunch of you also just restarted playing an eight-year-old game at the exact same time. Something in the air, I guess?

P.S. I love molotov cocktails especially when thrown without throwing skill and then the whole room gets blown away. That alone makes this game a 10/10.

P.P.S. Thanks, Scarlet, for the uploads. Never knew about the HQ updates, and the 320kbit music is great. I've always been so in love with this game's music, especially Radcliffe's Commission and the title tracks.

Kangaroo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    alternatively you could just use console commands to regain the item. check gamefaqs or something for the item codes.

does Arcanum have these? GameFaqs has no list and I even found some random forum where some guys said that no, Arcanum does not have console commands like past Trokia games.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    finally got a couple of points in gunsmithy and now i've got me a fine revolver

goes through bullets like crazy, but i've got a few hundred left and i am finally, at level 25, stomping some fucking ass. fuck yes.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    @bucketman: I've seen item code lists, so I assume there's a way to hack. I think I also saw a post about how the latest official patch had removed the ability to cheat. Not sure about that, because I think I also saw something about the unofficial patch enabling cheats once more.

Keep googlin', there might be somethin'. I'm at work or I'd help the cause.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    finally got a couple of points in gunsmithy and now i've got me a fine revolver

goes through bullets like crazy, but i've got a few hundred left and i am finally, at level 25, stomping some fucking ass. fuck yes.

Man, wait until you get the Mechanized Gun. Uses 6 bullets at a time, but it blows away anything you point it at.

I just got the Charged Sword schematic, and thought I might as well give it a try. Goddamn, if you get the chance to use this weapon, by all means do so...it does like an additional 1-30 electrical damage on top of the Balanced Sword's damage.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After all of my rampaging burglaries, I have amassed roughly 1200 bullets for use later when I decide to branch into guns.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The master firearms quest is so fun. One of the few really challenging quests in the game.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    can't wait to get the aerial decapitator... gonna be a throwing legenddddd

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really want to see an Arcanum 2 in the same sort of style as Fallout 3 and Morrowind/Oblivion.

I bet it could be awesome.

They'd need a better-implemented crafting system, though.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I keep trying to play this game

but get bored at or soon after I leave Tarant

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really want to see an Arcanum 2 in the same sort of style as Fallout 3 and Morrowind/Oblivion.

This would be awful.

Im' not saying it needs to be isometric but.

Dear god please no

Dsmart on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dsmart wrote: »

This would be awful.

Im' not saying it needs to be isometric but.

Dear god please no

Hey!

I like Fallout 3!

Though you are probably right that a first-person Arcanum experience might not be the best idea.

Maybe if somehow, someone did a steamworks and magick version of Mass Effect?

Would that be cool-enough for you?

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I...I don't even understand what that would look like.

scarlet ave. on