As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wednesday Comics-They're comics! On Wednesday!

Bloods EndBloods End Blade of TyshallePunch dimensionRegistered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
And when there's a holiday they'll be Wednesday comics on Thursday or something.

DC's new weekly anthology series starts today, complete with a who's who of todays hot writers and artists, printed on oversized newspaper-esque paper. Each issue is 16 pages and runs like 4.00
In other news, the Superman comic will be picked up by the USA Today and then online at it's site.

I'm so excited my teeth itch! Especially for the Gaiman/Allred combo!

Bloods End on

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    i am wicked buying this. i kept seeing scans of little bits of story around the internet and thinking it had been coming out already and i just kept forgetting to buy it. glad that is not the case!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For webcomic fans, Karl Kerschl does The Abominable Charles Christopher, and he posted this:
    I know you’re already accustomed to coming here on Wednesdays, but I wanted to mention that I have another comic sharing the same release date this week. It’s called ‘Wednesday Comics‘ and it’s a really cool project from DC Comics that’s a throwback to the old Sunday strips from the 1930’s. It’s a 12-issue weekly series and I’m drawing (and co-writing) a page of it each week – a story about The Flash (fastest man alive, FYI).

And there’s an added bonus contest!: I’ve snuck our favourite dim-witted yeti into one of the episodes! I’m not telling you which of the twelve issues he’s in, but email me a picture of yourself holding the page and pointing to him and you’ll be entered into a draw to win an original sketch from me. Send mail to mail@abominable.cc with the subject ‘Wednesday Comics Contest’.

Wednesday Comics launches this Wednesday , so head on over to your local comic shop and let me know what you thought of it!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Karl Kerschl's been doing comics for a while!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Karl Kerschl's been doing comics for a while!

Oh, I know, I just knew him first from webcomics and thought it was neat he was adding the yeti. :)

JoeUser on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This was a really clumsy read; I'm not a fan of the format, and wish it was a lot smaller. Also, it's easy to see many of these being collected in a 'deluxe size' anthology or coffee table book of some sort.

However, what the fuck was with that Wonder Woman strip? The art was great, but so much was crammed in that I had no idea what was going on, and if it were to be shrunk at all, the text would literally be impossible to read. It was probably the only real failing strip in the entire thing. Otherwise, I'm very much interested, but not sure if I can keep it up like this when it's such a menace to flip through. Most of the strips were great, particularly Flash and Batman. Kamandi, Superman, Metamorpho, and Adam Strange were other highlights. Even Didio's Metal Men seems really neat.

I love this throwback stuff, so this is like a dream to me. I just wish the dimensions were a little smaller.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wanted to pick this up so badly, but nowhere in town got more than a couple copies, that were gone way before I went in. Oh well. Hopefully next week will go better.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm. I was expecting 2000AD, and I got... crap. Still, it was better than Countdown.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anyone have pictures of how the book looks? I didn't see it today, and I'm curious about the dimensions and general size of the thing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The way it was at my shop:

It's folded into quarters, so that on a rack it is the same size as a comic. The paper is newspaper paper.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Does anyone have pictures of how the book looks? I didn't see it today, and I'm curious about the dimensions and general size of the thing.

It's pretty much full out newspaper size. A little less wide.

It's printed on newspaper stock, as well.

And if you're expecting anything more than a really fun throwback to the silver age, you're kind of SOL on this.

Edit: Here's a quick webcam shot of it against my face for scale:
    2009-07-0820-39-23380.jpg

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But Hadji, you don't look anything like your avatar! You actually look like Stuart Immonen!

As for the Wednesday Comics, you know this baby is headed to hardcover, with some frothy introduction about presenting the work in a 'more suitable format'.

I like the idea of it, I liked the Sixties vibe to most of the stories (especially Green Lantern) but I think it's overpriced for what you get. Still, it reminded me of the old Saturday Funnies we used to get up here in Canada, where I had to wait a week for the next Justice League, Star Wars and Spider-Man strips. Nice nostalgia trip, but I'm not sure if I'll make it again next week.

KidDork on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    But Hadji, you don't look anything like your avatar! You actually look like Stuart Immonen!

As for the Wednesday Comics, you know this baby is headed to hardcover, with some frothy introduction about presenting the work in a 'more suitable format'.

I like the idea of it, I liked the Sixties vibe to most of the stories (especially Green Lantern) but I think it's overpriced for what you get. Still, it reminded me of the old Saturday Funnies we used to get up here in Canada, where I had to wait a week for the next Justice League, Star Wars and Spider-Man strips. Nice nostalgia trip, but I'm not sure if I'll make it again next week.

Might grab them all for investment's sake. They'll certainly be a neat collector's item sometime down the lane.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dammit Hadji, that kind of thinking led to holofoil covers.

I'm definitely waiting for Wednesday Comics to be collected in some kind of more attractive format. Paying 3.99 to read a bunch of stories one page at a time, printed on awkwardly folded newsprint, just doesn't appeal to me.

Munch on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kyle baker doing hawkman?

now that sounds intriguing

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »

I'm definitely waiting for Wednesday Comics to be collected in some kind of more attractive format. Paying 3.99 to read a bunch of stories one page at a time, printed on awkwardly folded newsprint, just doesn't appeal to me.

Same here. I'm a big fan of Paul Pope and Adam Strange, and the previews on his blog look amazing, but I am going to wait it out.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    anyone willing to post a photo of the final product? I'm curious as to what makes it so difficult to read. Is it quadfolded like a normal newspaper?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    anyone willing to post a photo of the final product? I'm curious as to what makes it so difficult to read. Is it quadfolded like a normal newspaper?

Click my spoiler tag a couple posts back. It'll give you a good idea of the size and the fold.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh rad. that would be pretty cool at 1.99.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the 3.99 price point is the only thing that bothers me. Otherwise, I'm glad to have it. I wish it folded back up a little easier though.

Lux on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I thought the same thing. Maybe Hadji = Stuart Immonen.

I was half-tempted to pick this up, but my local shop was sold out when I stopped in. Initially, it's seems to be making money for DC.

I wonder how it will be collected though (and yes, this will be collected at some point). Will they do it chronologically, or by story/character? And will they keep the newspaper format, or switch it to a traditional TPB.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Absolute Wednesday Comics

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the 3.99 price tag keeps me from trying it. even at 1.99 i would hesitate, but probably would have picked up the first issue. no thanks.

Rans on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    The following Special Variant covers for the launch of the new Ultimate Comics line will be a Foilogram cover with the regular cover art surrounded by holographic foil.
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn

Wildcat on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, what exactly is the experiment with Wednesday Comics? I assume there has to be an experiment, because it's really quite different from a regular comic book in many different ways, and I don't think comic book companies try random shit out just for the fun of it. Are they trying to see if comics printed on newspaper stock will be accepted? If oversized comics will be accepted? Newspaper-format? What, exactly?

I bought the first "issue" yesterday (because I was curious, and because I'm a sheep), but haven't had time to read it yet. Even if the stories are amazing, though, I have a hard justifying spending money on a combination of uncomfortable size, crappy paper (unlike most of the people on this board, I absolutely wouldn't want regular comics printed on cheaper paper), AND a relatively high price point.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So, what exactly is the experiment with Wednesday Comics? I assume there has to be an experiment, because it's really quite different from a regular comic book in many different ways, and I don't think comic book companies try random shit out just for the fun of it. Are they trying to see if comics printed on newspaper stock will be accepted? If oversized comics will be accepted? Newspaper-format? What, exactly?

I bought the first "issue" yesterday (because I was curious, and because I'm a sheep), but haven't had time to read it yet. Even if the stories are amazing, though, I have a hard justifying spending money on a combination of uncomfortable size, crappy paper (unlike most of the people on this board, I absolutely wouldn't want regular comics printed on cheaper paper), AND a relatively high price point.

The thing is, DC comics can and perhaps should be trying out new things with the medium. They certainly have the cash to spare.

While I don't like the idea of comics on newsprint, there are dozens of different paper stocks. The coated glossy stuff is really pricey. The Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibi are printed on a different kind of paper stock, for example. It is not glossy/shiny/coated. I think it is printed on "offset" paper, with a pretty heavy basis weight. (I work at a printing press, so I know a bit about paper) I think offset paper is fine. As it is right now, I buy a lot more trades than I do single issues because the price is damned ridiculous.

Somehow, DC comics prints Wednesday Comics on newsprint and sells is for almost 5 dollars. What in the hell sense does that make?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Personal moment of the week:
    Finding a copy of The Thunderbolts Trade #1 and The Walking Dead HC #3.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. My shop was all sold out. Now I have to go to the dirt mall one.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The thing is, DC comics can and perhaps should be trying out new things with the medium. They certainly have the cash to spare.

While I don't like the idea of comics on newsprint, there are dozens of different paper stocks. The coated glossy stuff is really pricey. The Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibi are printed on a different kind of paper stock, for example. It is not glossy/shiny/coated. I think it is printed on "offset" paper, with a pretty heavy basis weight. (I work at a printing press, so I know a bit about paper) I think offset paper is fine. As it is right now, I buy a lot more trades than I do single issues because the price is damned ridiculous.

Somehow, DC comics prints Wednesday Comics on newsprint and sells is for almost 5 dollars. What in the hell sense does that make?

Well, that's my question. I think normally, when you run an experiment, you try to reduce the number of variables. The accepted wisdom is "lower quality paper BUT pass the savings down to the customer"; they seem to be testing "lower quality paper AND ALSO the customer pays more, order the expensive champagne today, Johnny".

I have an unhealthy, fetishistic approach to the physical objects that I amass, so I want my comics to be as high-quality as they can reasonably be (just like how I don't want pages to be bent or covers to be scuffed when I buy a book, etc.), but I'm pretty sure that I'm in the minority (which is probably for the best, really). To be fair, though, glossy pages make it really difficult to read the comic when there's a light source perpendicular to the page.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason, when I heard the original idea of Wednesday Comics, and how they would be appearing on newsprint, I was assuming that we would be seeing these comics is real newspapers, as a way of bringing in a new generation of readers. That makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense is the reality of the situation, which is selling a new comic format in comic shops to people who already spend money on a weekly or monthly basis in their local comic shops. The reality of the $4 newsprint comic is that it isn't going to expand the medium at all. Its basically the same thing as "preaching to the choir." Its selling comics to comic fans.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I heard the Superman strip was going to be in USA Today. I'm not sure if it actually is or not though.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I heard the Superman strip was going to be in USA Today. I'm not sure if it actually is or not though.

...Really

...Really?

It's in the goddamn OP.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, really.
    I'm human, I miss things once in a while.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I thought the same thing. Maybe Hadji = Stuart Immonen.

I know Stuart Immonen, so I'm sure he isn't Hadji. Stuart's hair is more grey, for one thing. But I'm still wondering if Hadji isn't a clone. Marvel does want more work out of him...

KidDork on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So has any one asked DC what exactly is bringing up the cost on this thing? I like the idea, but man 4.00 bucks is too much fo rme.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So has any one asked DC what exactly is bringing up the cost on this thing? I like the idea, but man 4.00 bucks is too much fo rme.

Just a guess, but I'd say its because they need to pay 15 writers, 15 artists, and just as many inkers, colorists, letterers, and editors. This is a huge project with lots of people involved and they all need a cut.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm curious how many of us will continue to pick this up.

KidDork on
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The uniqueness of the idea and the stellar execution make this well worth the ~$50 total investment for me.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Supergirl story was soooo adorable.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hypertime wrote: »
    The uniqueness of the idea and the stellar execution make this well worth the ~$50 total investment for me.

Yeah, I'm looking at the whole cost as something along the lines of owning something special for the overall price of a game, spent $4 at a time.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    But won't you probably be able to pick up the eventual trade for around that or a bit higher? Why not just wait.

noir_blood on