As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Graphic Violence Forum Activity Thing: Ideas Needed! (Poll coming soon)

13»

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    honestly, yeah, I really want to move away from that

there's plenty of stuff to like about comics without constantly shitting on nearly everything

DJ Eebs on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's the thing: I think that talking about things we don't like can be interesting and productive, provided that we don't go "So-and-so is a terrible writer and should die". Instead, we can talk about why we didn't like something, why it didn't work, what we could have done differently.

In fact, I think that "Write a better version of Event X" could be a really fun exercise - as long as we focus on writing a better version of Event X, not on writing an angry, biting parody of Event X.

Delduwath on
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    How about we start with the Create a Hero contests and then hopefully branch out into a more permanent GV Comics Universe by using some of the ideas that get cooked up in the contest threads?

I believe the impetus is on action here. So let's start with something simple to get the ball rolling. We can shoot for the moon tomorrow.

I dont post a ton, but I agree with this a hundred times over. Most of us have the best of intentions and big ambitions for this stuff and it all loses steam in short order due to real life conflicts, laziness etc...

Something small like a create a hero contest with a focused and tight format will get finished and still be very fun. Then if everyone really likes it the ball is rolling to either add to the concept or go another direction. I would recomend a set format for submisision that limits the contribution to a one page bio and some sort of RPG character style stat sheet with one optional illustration. Keep the playing field as level as possible.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    What about artist/writer/storyline/guest appearance mad libs? Contributors get together in 2-person art/writing teams (or one person alone if they're ambitious), then everyone has to pick a scenario out of several hats and flesh it out. "::rummagerummagerummage:: Okay, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, as written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by Rob Liefield, featuring a guest appearance by Doctor Strange (Marvel Adventures). Go!"

Horrible idea? Too similar to others?

I'm tired of the negativity/meanness which is festering in this forum. Lately, people seem to be really hung up on things they dislike. It is tiresome.

What? I picked big names with (or written in) recognizable styles to highlight the idea I was presenting. I don't recall coming on here in the past and randomly shitting on creators, characters, etc. Perhaps you've confused me with someone else.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think he was trying to say that your idea may invite others to basically hate on creators or events they don't like.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I think he was trying to say that your idea may invite others to basically hate on creators or events they don't like.

That could be easily countermanded by event rules. Throw a "feel free to have fun with Amazons Attack! as written by Frank Miller if you get it, but using your entry to troll will get you disqualified if not worse" in there and you're golden.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm also a big fan of the old Wizard "casting calls." It could be fun to have a weekly or so challenge along the lines of (casting for Invincible, or what if an X-men movie were made in 1980, or a reboot of the Spider-man movie franchise) and each person entering would sum up their pitch for the movie in a limited number of words, then give their choice of director and post a photo for each of their chosen actors in their casting call.

Also, if we do something like this or like the hero-design contest, over in the AC, they've been letting the winner of each round choose the next challenge and it seems to have been working pretty well.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if this idea (or equivalent) has been offered but here goes: Guess that Hero/Villian.

Start with a few clues and add more assuming no one guesses correctly. Probably not alot of fun to run but theres my 2 canuck cents.

Caveman Paws on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

That could be easily countermanded by event rules. Throw a "feel free to have fun with Amazons Attack! as written by Frank Miller if you get it, but using your entry to troll will get you disqualified if not worse" in there and you're golden.

Yeah, I didn't confuse you with anyone. It just seems the concept is ripe for turning things nasty.

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2009
    Okay, here are the poll options I'm going to put up in...twenty-three minutes.

1) Create-a-hero Contest
    2) Comics themed Phalla/Mafia game
    3) Create a shared universe
    4) Comics Mad Libs project
    5) Other (note in thread)

DJ Eebs on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if this idea (or equivalent) has been offered but here goes: Guess that Hero/Villian.

Start with a few clues and add more assuming no one guesses correctly. Probably not alot of fun to run but theres my 2 canuck cents.

This idea, along with Phalla and shared universe are best ones thus far, IMO.

The guess Hero/Villain might actually be really fun if done right.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

edited July 2009

Yeah, I didn't confuse you with anyone. It just seems the concept is ripe for turning things nasty.

Your initial response said nothing about the idea itself and instead appeared geared toward framing me as an instigator of the behaviors which you decried. If that's not the case, go team us.

Anyway! I think taking on an author/illustrator's style that you don't personally like (or interpreting an event/character/shared universe that you don't like, for that matter) without turning the result into a string of cheap shots would be one of the chief criteria by which successful entries would be judged. It would be easy to parodize (to use my first example) Liefeld's style with a simple overabundant application of pouches, Cap pecs, and guns, but overdoing it would just cheapen the entry.

I'm not saying that entrants would have to lie about elements they don't like; just hate with style is all.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

1) Create-a-hero Contest

Is the create a hero thing be limited to heroes you started making when the contest begins?

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2009

1) Create-a-hero Contest

Is the create a hero thing be limited to heroes you started making when the contest begins?

I really don't know what you mean by this, but specifics on this kind of thing would be addressed in more depth once we figure out what everyone wants to do.

DJ Eebs on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Voting now!

Mr Pink on
    edited July 2009
    POLL IS UP

I'm locking this thread, take discussion to the new one!

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.