As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/8/09: Newspapers in a comic shop?

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
Scans below all spoilers...

Batman #688 was very good. Winick has not made Dick as dark as when he wrote Batman a few years ago, and it works better that way. And Bagley's art is phenomenal, with Hunter as his inker and Hannin does a great job coloring the book:
Dick, as Batman, wants the public to see him and is also letting his beat downs on crime go on camera so as to be easier for prosecutors (interesting story point).

He is also still trying to figure out how to fight with the cowl on, and has a good scene with Alfred (Bagley draws the best Alfred now)

And then he trains Damien:

b688a.jpg

b688b.jpg

b688c.jpg

and at the end of the issue Two Face puts the pieces together that Nightwing is now Batman, setting him up as the primary villain for Dick (this was also set up in Tomasi's run).

Another good issue this week was the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly #1. If you like westerns, this is for you. Dixon makes the Man with No Name stay true to his character, and the art is simple yet carries the story well. The last two pages below trump what Hickman is doing in Secret Warriors in that "movie speak" that he always does with one liners:
gbu1a.jpg

gbu1b.jpg

Now GL #43, it has great Mahnke art, but I get the feeling when Johns writes stuff with gore he kind of gets off on it, the way Kirkman has an unhealthy use of it in Invincible and Walking Dead
Black Hand tells his story like all other Johns villain one shots, but we now see that his costume is actually made from a body bag (.....wth?).

Also, at the end he kills his entire family, then kills himself (lots of blood everywhere, the scans below don't show it like other pages):

gl43a.jpg

gl43b.jpg

gl43c.jpg

Then Scar barfs up a Black Ring and makes Black Hand the Avatar of the Black, like Ion, Parallax, Predator (???? the star sapphire avatar)

Also, The Wednesday Comics is just regular newspaper stock, and was folded at my shop like it was an issue of Comic Shop News. I do like the concept behind it, but I really couldn't justify $4 for that, especially how that Superman page I read this morning just kind of sat there with good art and then I'm supposed to wait for a week to get another small part of the story. YMMV

TexiKen on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Now GL #43, it has great Mahnke art, but I get the feeling when Johns writes stuff with gore he kind of gets off on it, the way Kirkman has an unhealthy use of it in Invincible and Walking Dead
    Black Hand tells his story like all other Johns villain one shots, but we now see that his costume is actually made from a body bag (.....wth?).

Also, at the end he kills his entire family, then kills himself (lots of blood everywhere). Then Scar barfs up a Black Ring and makes Black Hand the Avatar of the Black, like Ion, Parallax, Predator (???? the star sapphire avatar)

I thought. . .
    Predator was Indigo. That picture seemed more purple to me than pink.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Those were the Zamaran women in the bottom of that panel, with their heads and their capes

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What is Predator?!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Here's the Predator page:
    gl43d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Intriguing. I would definitely say pink. Their corps embodiment can be a stalker, how fitting.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So...Black Hand is kind of fucked up huh?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's a bitch to read a newspaper in limited confines.

It's a bitch to read Wednesday Comics at all, really.

I'm at a point where I'm curious about how they're going to anthologize the book, because I'm not sure I want to step in for 12 weeks of this insanity.

Edit: The Wonder Woman strip in here is laid out so poorly that it's almost impossible to read.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    MotW: World of New Krypton #5, the first time the book has felt like it's actually going somewhere, and where the drama within the issue has transcended the trappings of a filler story.

Winnick's Batman is also great, and I'm inspired to try and pick it up until his run ends. I hate the gang war stuff, but his scenes of Dick adapting, and the stuff with Damien and Alfred is all just pure gold. I totally expected this book to suck, and it's completely reversed my expectations. I'm liking it even more than Batman and Robin so far.

Moment of the Weak: Absolutely nothing happened in Red Robin #2, and I almost didn't pick it up. I kind of wish I hadn't, although I am curious to see where it's going.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Batman #688
    and at the end of the issue Two Face puts the pieces together that Nightwing is now Batman, setting him up as the primary villain for Dick (this was also set up in Tomasi's run).
    Wonder how long they've had that in the works? From way back in JLA #0:
    JusticeLeagueofAmerica0Page07.jpg

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oooh, that's a good catch.

I know Dick has kind of had Two-Face as a potential prime villain since Dixon and Beatty's Robin: Year One story where Two Face beat him half to death with a bat. Tomassi has been an editor for a long time, I need to check those old Bat issues to see if he's the connection.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rrrggghh I cannot get my comics until Friday and this is such a big week

Woe

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oooh, that's a good catch.

I know Dick has kind of had Two-Face as a potential prime villain since Dixon and Beatty's Robin: Year One story where Two Face beat him half to death with a bat. Tomassi has been an editor for a long time, I need to check those old Bat issues to see if he's the connection.

Dark Victory plays with the connection, too.

They're pretty much cut out to be arch enemies.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The way I see it, the arch-enemy thing doesn't really work unless they're fighting each other for reasons beyond one being a crime fighter and the other being a criminal. Do they have the personal connection and/or philosophical differences needed to qualify?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Batman was good, ditto all around on how great Bagley's art was. I doubt many picked this up but War of Kings: Warriors explained Gladiators origin and it was very well done.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The way I see it, the arch-enemy thing doesn't really work unless they're fighting each other for reasons beyond one being a crime fighter and the other being a criminal. Do they have the personal connection and/or philosophical differences needed to qualify?

I think in continuity right now, Dick's parents were killed as part of a gang war between Two Face and the Falcones. And because of that, a lot of the early tales about him involve Two-Face as the arch villain.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was also taken aback at the price for Wednesday Comics. I thought it would be much cheaper, a kind of 'Hell, I'm here picking up my regular books, it's only $1.99, may as well grab that, too' type of purchase. I liked most of the strips (Paul Pope's Strange Adventures the most) but I'm not sure I'll pick it up again.

My MOTW so far has been the sheer, gleeful ridiculousness of Marvel Adventures: Super Heroes. This may change when I pick up my Bat-books on Friday. (Payday, woot, etc.)

KidDork on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    judd winnick seems an odd choice for post battle for the cowl Batman. hrm

wednesday comics, now that sounds pretty choice

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For some reason I didn't see that coming in Green Lantern, even though it seems obvious now.

Also, wow, World of New Krypton took a sharp turn today.

Lux on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    judd winnick seems an odd choice for post battle for the cowl Batman.

Which is why they are replacing him after 4 issues with Tony Daniel (yes, they thought it was a good idea to let him write again).

KVW on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Spider-Man was pretty lame, especially for an annual. Pete kept pushing the dad and brother thing though he never called Uncle Ben dad, he wanted to bang his cousins (ill let this fly) but then he gets stabbed in the gut by a nobody villain? Pretty boring, plus Ben having the exact same hairstyle as him like a decade ago?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spider-Man was pretty lame, especially for an annual. Pete kept pushing the dad and brother thing though he never called Uncle Ben dad, he wanted to bang his cousins (ill let this fly) but then he gets stabbed in the gut by a nobody villain? Pretty boring, plus Ben having the exact same hairstyle as him like a decade ago?

So how is this a moment of the week? Don't you have anything nice to say about what you bought this week?

"Moments of the weak" are an awful thing. Awful to read, certainly, but do we really want to turn into one of those boards that is known for its bitching? Whoever coined that turn of phrase really should be clobbered.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

So how is this a moment of the week? Don't you have anything nice to say about what you bought this week?

"Moments of the weak" are an awful thing. Awful to read, certainly, but do we really want to turn into one of those boards that is known for its bitching? Whoever coined that turn of phrase really should be clobbered.

I assumed it was up for discussion. Ive not seen that many comics this week but from what I have only GLC has been remotely good but the whole necrophilia and stuff didnt make for all that interesting a story. Superman was an ok read though there are people who really depend on him so being so ready to give up his life for a world he barely knows was a bit irritating.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Besides Booster Gold and R.E.B.E.L.S. both being pretty entertaining, my moment of the week is finding out that Chuck motherfucking Dixon is going to be dropping in at my local shop for a signing.

Now a question of decorum, given his acrimonious split from DC; do I bring a few issues of his Birds of Prey/Robin/Justice Riders stuff to have signed?

Munch on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bring a picture of Dan Didio with a heart around it.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd rather not have an author I respect shank me with a pen.

I actually thought about drawing a comic book-style drawing of Chuck Dixon punching Dan Didio to have signed, but thought it would be in poor taste.

Munch on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think having him sign an issue he wrote for DC would be in poor taste. You enjoyed those issues and asking him to sign one would be a way of showing him that you appreciate his work.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

When a book is bad it should be known that it is a bad book, even if it is someone's opinion. It also may deter some people from picking it up if they have the same taste in books. We aren't going to turn into CBR because someone says the ASM annual is bad.

Munch wrote:
    Now a question of decorum, given his acrimonious split from DC; do I bring a few issues of his Birds of Prey/Robin/Justice Riders stuff to have signed?

You should ask him to sign Nightwing #39 because it's the best Nightwing issue ever.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Intriguing. I would definitely say pink. Their corps embodiment can be a stalker, how fitting.

It's a sexual predator.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MotW: X-Men Forever #3.

Kitty cutting up Storm so bad she gonna wish she no cut her up so bad.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    More explanation/scan.

And is Wolverine in Sabertooth's body?

Uncanny X-Men First Class #1 was good, and at 2.99 (was supposed to be $3.99) it will be picked up for the series. Roger Cruz draws a great Nightcrawler, who is the focus of this opening two-parter. And Wolverine gets his ass kicked (literally):
    The X-Men eat lunch with the Inhumans:

uxmfc1a.jpg

And Wolverine shows off the Danger Room, which Gorgon sees as being too easy:

uxmfc1b.jpg

uxmfc1c.jpg

Nightcrawler and Colossus go to Attilan, and Kurt likes the place because he can be himself there. BUt then he is witness to the Inhumans being exposed to the mists, which Nightcrawler is opposed to because they aren't bron different but have it put upon them. Cue cliffhanger for next month

The only thing weird about it is the timeline. Jean has become Phoenix, but isn't hanging out at the mansion and is trying to live her normal life (which I thought ended with Uncanny #99). But Lilandra is shown here. Maybe this is after the team was thought to be dead after fighting Magneto?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    More explanation/scan.
    Mmmmmm...

No. What do you all care anyway? It's just CD and his stupid still-reading-Claremont nonsense.

And is Wolverine in Sabertooth's body?
    No.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well you can't say Kitty f'ed up Storm and then expect us to not know why. You bring the setup, or you gon' get served. That's how we roll in the OC, yo.

Steve Harvey.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HAHAHAHA

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009

When a book is bad it should be known that it is a bad book, even if it is someone's opinion. It also may deter some people from picking it up if they have the same taste in books. We aren't going to turn into CBR because someone says the ASM annual is bad.

It is okay to say something's bad. But this is the last moment of the week thread where talk about which books suck will be allowed. And if I see "moment of the weak" again I'll probably infract whoever says it. I hate that phrase, mainly because it's not clever and it's kind of nonsensical.

I don't want to quash all debate though, so I will promise I'll have a place for everyone to bitch about comics by next Wednesday. This is a moment of the week thread, and it should be for highlights and not HEY GUESS WHAT SUCKS THIS WEEK, GUYS.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xmen Legacy, Batman and GL were all pretty great this week (loved Mahnke's art, is he on GL fulltime now?)

The end of GL was pretty awesome in a creepy way.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why not just have a separate Moment of the Weak thread then?

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    because the phrase "moment of the weak" is terrible

I've got a solution in mind, but it will have nothing to do with that phrase

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Moment of the Reek? I'm so sorry.

Anyways, someone mentioned Legacy, so I decided to scan some because it's good! Spoilers and scans ahoy.
    Rogue, Gambit, and Danger send a message informing Cyclops they're coming to San Fransico, and make their way in a dingy plane that they modified to reach Mach 2. Mid conversation, Pixie teleports in saying Scott got the message, and he needs them now.

img018.jpg

img020.jpg

So, anyways, the gang goes about saving people and rescuing mutants and such. Rogue ends up getting into a fight with Ms. Marvel because she was near an unconscious HAMMER agent she found, and gets thrown around a little bit before she shoots the window out of the room of the room they're in, forcing Karla to phase, then runs through her (and the glass!) to escape. So metal.

Gambit, while trying to quell another riot, ends up getting into a bit of a scrape with another Dark Avenger, Rogue and Danger come to the rescue, which ends up leading to...

img013.jpg

img015.jpg

img017.jpg

Pretty awesome.

Faynor on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's an interesting point about Rogue absorbing god-force. Has she ever touched another one (e.g. Thor or Herc)?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's an interesting point about Rogue absorbing god-force. Has she ever touched another one (e.g. Thor or Herc)?

She's touched Thor before without any problems beyond getting greedy for more, but she broke contact before anything really interesting happened. In a What If? that followed, she actually sucked all the power out of Thor, leaving him dead and gaining control over Mjolnir in the process.

At least, that's what I gathered from the What If? I read.

Robos A Go Go on