As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/8/09: Newspapers in a comic shop?

2»

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Intriguing. I would definitely say pink. Their corps embodiment can be a stalker, how fitting.

It's a sexual predator.

Seriously guys!

Furu on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    Intriguing. I would definitely say pink. Their corps embodiment can be a stalker, how fitting.

It's a sexual predator.

Seriously guys!

Danny Glover.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Furu wrote: »

It's a sexual predator.

Seriously guys!

Danny Glover.

shit happens

Furu on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Spider-Man was pretty lame, especially for an annual. Pete kept pushing the dad and brother thing though he never called Uncle Ben dad, he wanted to bang his cousins (ill let this fly) but then he gets stabbed in the gut by a nobody villain? Pretty boring, plus Ben having the exact same hairstyle as him like a decade ago?

So how is this a moment of the week? Don't you have anything nice to say about what you bought this week?

"Moments of the weak" are an awful thing. Awful to read, certainly, but do we really want to turn into one of those boards that is known for its bitching? Whoever coined that turn of phrase really should be clobbered.

When a book is bad it should be known that it is a bad book, even if it is someone's opinion. It also may deter some people from picking it up if they have the same taste in books. We aren't going to turn into CBR because someone says the ASM annual is bad.

It is okay to say something's bad. But this is the last moment of the week thread where talk about which books suck will be allowed. And if I see "moment of the weak" again I'll probably infract whoever says it. I hate that phrase, mainly because it's not clever and it's kind of nonsensical.

I don't want to quash all debate though, so I will promise I'll have a place for everyone to bitch about comics by next Wednesday. This is a moment of the week thread, and it should be for highlights and not HEY GUESS WHAT SUCKS THIS WEEK, GUYS.

Is that something thats necessary? Wouldn't it just be a big thread of negative? Couldn't you just make it a rule that you have to post something thats good if youre going to post something thats bad?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought Legacy would be only on the tangent of Utopia, like Rogue and Gambit just got to SF and fight some no name right on the edge of the city. But those scans made it look really good, and how foolish of me to think Carey wouldn't make lemonade out of lemons. I guess I'll pick it up next week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Ms Marvel was pretty good this week though man unless its a big fake out they really
    brought Ms Marvel original back fast

Does she really not know DEadpool? I could've sworn they've fought.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh. Heh. Hahahaha. That's a real shock.

But, no. I don't recall them meeting. She was way before his time and then post-House of M they never interacted because, well, she had Machine Man.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Can someone tell me why Rogue is back with
    Danger and Gambit?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Danger and Gambit?

Does Rogue keep powers she absorbs for keeps or is it still a temporary deal?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    RaykefireRaykefire Devil by the Deed Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Does she really not know DEadpool? I could've sworn they've fought.

They defineatly knew each other in issue 50 of Cable/Deapool when they were fighting the venomsaurs.

Raykefire on
    3dS: 2852-8431-6782
    XBox: Raykefire
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Danger and Gambit?

Does Rogue keep powers she absorbs for keeps or is it still a temporary deal?

That's a good question, I only remember after the latest storyline she can touch without stealing powers or memories now, she has control over that aspect

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rogue can use any power she's ever absorbed now, I believe. But her power was reset in Messiah Complex, so she only has access to power's she absorbed since then, so she's lost all the Ms. Marvel, Sunfire, and Wolverine stuff that.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Rogue can use any power she's ever absorbed now, I believe. But her power was reset in Messiah Complex, so she only has access to power's she absorbed since then, so she's lost all the Ms. Marvel, Sunfire, and Wolverine stuff that.

I think that's wrong. I'm pretty sure she can just control when it "triggers" now. They still fade away like they used to.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It still fades away, but she can touch without it messing her up, and their memory doesn't overpower her own. So she can kiss and high five people without worrying about learning what they had for lunch as a result.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unless, of course, they've been eating garlic bread.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow. I finally got around to reading No Hero 6.

Wow.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    X-Men Legacy continues to be good and seeing Ares get his ass handed to him was also a plus during that issue. My Moment of the Week goes towards Danger and her heroics resulting in her "savee" calling her a transformer.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    X-Men Legacy continues to be good and seeing Ares get his ass handed to him was also a plus during that issue. My Moment of the Week goes towards Danger and her heroics resulting in her "savee" calling her a transformer.

That was pretty cool, I like what they are doing with all three of those characters in Legacy, though Remy is just normal Remy but I like who he is these days.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    UUUGGGGGGGGGGH

I read through all 25 issues of Wasteland out now based on Warren Ellis' recomendation.

I got read issue 25, and went to pick up the next, only to find that it did not exist yet. I let loose a vaderesque Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've got to stop reading GV: I always end up going back to the comic store and picking up books recommended or loved here. I have a weekly budget, and I keep blowing over it. And it's all your fault.

Having said that, I picked up X-Men: Legacy, and found it one of the most enjoyable X-Men stories I've read in months. I was curious, though:
    Is there a baseline power for gods in the MU? When Rogue touched Ares and went all Streaming White Eyes of Power, I found myself wondering if there are gods whose powers Rogue could fully absorb? Sure, Ares is a powerhouse, but what about Loki? Or Balder?

And a yellow bra? With a green suit? Really, Rogue.

KidDork on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    She absorbed Thor's powers once back in the 80s.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KidDork wrote: »
    I've got to stop reading GV: I always end up going back to the comic store and picking up books recommended or loved here. I have a weekly budget, and I keep blowing over it. And it's all your fault.

Having said that, I picked up X-Men: Legacy, and found it one of the most enjoyable X-Men stories I've read in months. I was curious, though:
    Is there a baseline power for gods in the MU? When Rogue touched Ares and went all Streaming White Eyes of Power, I found myself wondering if there are gods whose powers Rogue could fully absorb? Sure, Ares is a powerhouse, but what about Loki? Or Balder?

And a yellow bra? With a green suit? Really, Rogue.

Well, it depends what you mean by baseline.

All Gods in Marvel are kin: they are all directly descended from the living energy of their particular planet via the Godwave. This means that even gods in different planets are more like cousins than different species. To a certain extent, each generation is less powerful than the previous, probably because they're a larger number of individuals distributing the same amount of energy. You can see this in Atun being stronger than most 'current' gods, and with Odin being stronger than Thor/Loki.

So, presumably Phobos (Ares' son, currently w/ Nick Fury) would be easier to fully absorb than Ares himself. But he could still be above her threshold.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can see this in Atun being stronger than most 'current' gods, and with Odin being stronger than Thor/Loki.

i thought odinforce-infused thor was at least as strong as odin, but i suppose they didnt really give a metric to measure this by did they?

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can see this in Atun being stronger than most 'current' gods, and with Odin being stronger than Thor/Loki.

i thought odinforce-infused thor was at least as strong as odin, but i suppose they didnt really give a metric to measure this by did they?

Odinforce-infused thor had the power of Odin so he was as strong as him.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My odinforce-infused dad can beat up your odinforce-infused dad.

Faynor on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Odinforce-infused thor had the power of Odin so he was as strong as him.

Exactly: the Odinforce was basically Odin's powers rendered external. I don't mean to give the writers too much credit, but it's the same concept as Thor's powers now being tied into Mjolnir. Arguably, the idea (which isn't new) is no different from Sauron transferring his power into the One Ring. A lot of modern magical fiction has rested on the conceit that if you have a given level of power, you can basically increase it by divesting yourself of some control. I suppose the 'cost' of a potential loss of all your power confers the 'benefit' of having more power at your disposal so long as you have the tool. So, Odin - in separating his powers from his Self into the Odinforce - made himself more powerful.

Actually, now that I think of it, this isn't dissimilar from the original Odin myth of his sacrifice of his eye for wisdom and the knowledge of the runes.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Odin also had the Spear of the Heavens, no? That's a pretty strong weapon if I remember right.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Odin also had the Spear of the Heavens, no? That's a pretty strong weapon if I remember right.

Gungnir? I don't think it was even mentioned in any great detail.

Mai-Kero on