As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A lot of MMO's offer such incentives like this, LOTRO is doing one as well right now in fact.

Cade on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Really Lotro is doing one as well
    I will ask my brother if it's true since he played the game for a time and went back to wow

The odd thing is I got the email and some from Circuit City? I thought they went out of business

Brainleech on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really Lotro is doing one as well
    I will ask my brother if it's true since he played the game for a time and went back to wow

The odd thing is I got the email and some from Circuit City? I thought they went out of business

I think they were bought by TigerDirect and are back as an online-only store.

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    According to one game site I read yeah LOTRO is doing one, pretty sure it's either going on right now or more or less soon enough.

The population in AoC is actually supposedly going up, they have fixed a lot of the issues most people complained about. For the most part now people complain about AoC because hey it's AoC even if they haven't touched it since the game first came out.

Cade on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What specifically is LOTRO doing regarding high level characters? Feel free to respond in the LOTRO thread or something. I had a level... something not that high minstrel. 35 maybe. I occasionally get the itch.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2009
    LOTRO is really fun :)

I don't put that much time into it at all, but the time I do spend is enjoyable.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    According to one game site I read yeah LOTRO is doing one, pretty sure it's either going on right now or more or less soon enough.

The population in AoC is actually supposedly going up, they have fixed a lot of the issues most people complained about. For the most part now people complain about AoC because hey it's AoC even if they haven't touched it since the game first came out.

I haven't played it at all, but I've seen a recent marketing spread they did in MMO magazine, and it was rather funny. 'No really, we've fixed some stuff and the game is awesome now.'
    Makes me sad.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got a two week reactivation trial in the e-mails.

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Anyone else here get one and thinking about trying it?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I too want to try the reactivation thing. Except I can't. I installed the game again from the CDs and now my patcher crashes every time it tries to patch during the fourth step (the download that's around 1.5 gig). Anyone have any ideas?

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I too want to try the reactivation thing. Except I can't. I installed the game again from the CDs and now my patcher crashes every time it tries to patch during the fourth step (the download that's around 1.5 gig). Anyone have any ideas?

I'm sure there's a client you can grab off the web.

I actually downloaded the 10 day free trial the other day and haven't started it yet, but the patching process took about 5 or so hours (it was basically a 12gig patch). I really wanted to jump on this when it came out but at the time my PC was utter garbage. Now that I have a rig with some real power in it, I plan to max out all of the settings, pointing and laughing at my old pc sitting in the corner.

kriegs on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    Oh hey, was just looking for this thread for exactly this reason. Reinstalling the client now, and then we'll see how much patching there is.

Echo on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What specifically is LOTRO doing regarding high level characters? Feel free to respond in the LOTRO thread or something. I had a level... something not that high minstrel. 35 maybe. I occasionally get the itch.

I think they meant the free weekend.

Yeah, pretty much all non-WoW mmos do this at some point. EQ2 offered like 2 months free last year and CoX has free weekends as well.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    There is a 500~MB patch and then a 1.8GB patch.

The directx10 stuff is very pretty, but kills my framerate.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I tried AoC again, played for maybe an hour and I'm done again.
    At least it was free.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I did the same thing.... Only I was suckered into buying a month of play for *Buy this now or you can't later!* goodies. Wasted 12 bucks. Oh well, only 12 bucks. I somehow forgot that I didn't like the combat system and skill usage in the game in the first place, and that hasn't changed.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I resubbed, played for 2 days, and quit. I think I might just be falling out with MMOs in general, but AOC has some easily noticeable problems that bothered me. The UI for one is terrible, and the fact that I was picking up way too many damn abilities with my Necromancer to manage, especially on the subpar macro bar provided, was just annoying.

Probad on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Probad wrote: »
    I resubbed, played for 2 days, and quit. I think I might just be falling out with MMOs in general, but AOC has some easily noticeable problems that bothered me. The UI for one is terrible, and the fact that I was picking up way too many damn abilities with my Necromancer to manage, especially on the subpar macro bar provided, was just annoying.

Custom UI's fixed alot of that.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Probad wrote: »

Custom UI's fixed alot of that.

Except that I couldn't find a single one that still works. There might be one or two still out there, but most of the UI people gave up because of the massive amount of suck eminating from AoC.

As a side note, AoC is the only MMO with a UI that caused me to get a custom UI, and I've played a decent amount.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I've modded the UI's of almost all the MMO's I've played, besides like Asheron's Call and Everquest.

Oh, and I haven't touched LotRO's interface since they don't allow too much of that shit.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't see anything in AoC's UI that is really any different than other default UIs.

They all pretty much suck.

I do agree with the too many abilities thing. You do seem to get way too many.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    So, pretty much everyone who resubbed is already done? Answers that, I guess.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not done, I fully expect to play out the rest of my two weeks I'm having a bit of fun chopping off peoples heads and looking at the pretty sights.

Its a decent PVE game but it's nothing special. But I don't expect anyone from PA to actually stick with any other MMO than WoW. I'm still amazed there are PA guilds in WAR.

LittleBoots on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not done, I fully expect to play out the rest of my two weeks I'm having a bit of fun chopping off peoples heads and looking at the pretty sights.

Its a decent PVE game but it's nothing special. But I don't expect anyone from PA to actually stick with any other MMO than WoW. I'm still amazed there are PA guilds in WAR.

You shut your filthy mouth. The PA guilds in WAR will reign forever.

I've seen most of the sights in AoC, though, so I'd only want to come back if the new content was significant.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I think the PA guild for LOTRO is still going as well.

Interest in AOC really wasn't lacking due to PA's normal ADD. I wanted AoC to be good, but was let down pretty hard. :x

Shens on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

You shut your filthy mouth. The PA guilds in WAR will reign forever.

I've seen most of the sights in AoC, though, so I'd only want to come back if the new content was significant.

I'm not sure why it is that less-than-millions of subs translates into "nobody plays" on the internet. If you read holes like MMORPG or Massively you'd think that WAR is a day away from having the plug pulled, LotR has ten people roleplaying on a single server, and AoC and Darkfall have been shut down for months (this is a tangent though - I don't think you were going there Boots).

I'm not sure where Internet Wisdom veers from reality so sharply, but it does.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, so the current thread title is still pretty relevant, huh?

I got that offer in e-mail from Funcom asking me to come back and try it again, so I checked out this thread to see what was happening.

Pretty much what I figured, really.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm not seeing what's new.

Also, where do I create that level 50 character?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, seems to be blatant lies going on. The newsletter is all "Make a level 50 character!"

When I checked the forums for info it turns out that you need to have at least one character at 50+ already.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh yeah, I remember them mentioning about that, yeah as you found out you need to have one level 50 to make a level 50, although not sure what the process is by which you make it happen.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You create a new character, and when you finish it asks if you want to make them automatically 50. You start with 1 gold, 50 silver, full equipment for your class including weapon options as well as a bag. It's not the best equipment obviously, but it's believable that most people would have equipment on similar scale to this at 50 from what I remember.

I was just afraid that everyone that did this would have equipment equal to a level one starting tortage.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    You create a new character, and when you finish it asks if you want to make them automatically 50.

...and, like I said, you already need to have a character at level 50. Because I'm sure not getting that choice.

Echo on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    You create a new character, and when you finish it asks if you want to make them automatically 50.

...and, like I said, you already need to have a character at level 50. Because I'm sure not getting that choice.

While it is dumb to even mention it to somebody who does not have a level 50 character already, i'd imagine it would be pretty obvious that you do need one. Typically when companies offer that it is for older players to skip the boring part of the game to get to the real meat of the game, after they've done the boring stuff once already.

Except in AoCs case, levels 1-50 is the only part that somewhat resembles fun.

I am a little irritated by the GMs. A few of the goons are getting back in and I was the last one to be in control of the Hordes of Goonheim name (and therefore the tier 3 city) yet it seems that Funcom decided to pass over ownership to somebody who wasn't even a member of the guild, or shouldn't have been, as he is not registered on our forums. I'm just too lazy to redownload to fight a GM over it.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cade wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I remember them mentioning about that, yeah as you found out you need to have one level 50 to make a level 50, although not sure what the process is by which you make it happen.

Thats what I was answering.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are the GM's still volunteers and completely incapable of actually giving support?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sanders wrote: »
    While it is dumb to even mention it to somebody who does not have a level 50 character already, i'd imagine it would be pretty obvious that you do need one.

Verbatim from the newsletter:
    Did you know that you can log in today, create a new character with the class of your choice and see that character instantly turned into a level 50? You can! This onetime offer, per account, allows you to start out a new character without going through the low levels - perfect for trying out a new class! The level 50 character is activated through character creation.

That's what made me go "Oh really?" and decide to try it out again since they outright say that I can make a level 50 character.

Echo on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Funcom was deceptive and/or outright lied?

News at 11!!

Galielmus on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Did you know that you can log in today, create a new character with the class of your choice and see that character instantly turned into a level 50? You can! This onetime offer, per account, allows you to start out a new character without going through the low levels - perfect for trying out a new class! The level 50 character is activated through character creation.

That's what made me go "Oh really?" and decide to try it out again since they outright say that I can make a level 50 character.

I got that same newsletter, and for a brief moment it actually piqued my interest. Glad I didn't fall for it though, and came to check here instead. Now I have even less desire, if that was even possible, to ever play a Funcom game again.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sanders wrote: »
    While it is dumb to even mention it to somebody who does not have a level 50 character already, i'd imagine it would be pretty obvious that you do need one.

Not the first time nor will be the last funcom used poorly chosen words to deceive people. But yeah, after reading it I'd assume the same you did.

Sanders on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the combat system. What's the problem?

Anyway, if anyone is on Tyranny I have a lvl 80 PoM that I'm... re-evaluating. I wish we still had the guild going. Broodax was the shit.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Khaled and I keep thinking about reinstalling. But then we remember that AoC was such shit that it made the baby Jesus cry. How are the raids?

Darkewolfe on
This discussion has been closed.