As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your secret shame...

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    My mom owns the entire 1970s marvel limited KISS series.

Can... Can I be ashamed of my mom?

Edit: The gimmick was that KISS bled into the ink, so each issue was like having KISS's blood.

Why would you be ashamed to have the most extreme mom ever? That sounds both rad and the metal.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • revcomrevcom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i had multiple starjammers comics from the mid-90's

see, the drama works way better if cyclops' dad isn't just some normal guy dealing with his son shooting laser beams out of his eyes, he's just some normal guy who was abducted by aliens and who is a space pirate

revcom on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I collected the first 25 issues of Countdown. Then I figured our something was wrong with me.

I also own the entire (aka two) comic run of Snakes on a Plane.

Mr Pink on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also the comics I am least not ashamed of owning are the issues of the Punisher where he was turned black

That has to be the most unintentially racist concept I've ever heard of...and yet it's real. My god Marvel.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Whoops, it ate my reply!

I had this when I was a kid. I was like, "Is that even possible? Something seems wrong about that..." I also loved that Cage didn't freak out on him about it too (at least not as much as I expected).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a copy of Batman: Digital Justice. My favorite thing to do with it is to get it out and read the inside flap text for company:
    DIGITAL JUSTICE will be compared to such dystopian visions as 1984, BRAVE NEW WORLD, BLADE RUNNER, the novels of Philip K. Dick, the works of the so-called "cyberpunk" writers in recent science fiction, and, of course, the classic Batman comics that inspired it. Although it has elements in common with all of these, it is something more--a graphic novel of suspense and high adventure that comments on the redeeming power of myth. It both criticizes and embodies the technology that is changing how we think, how we live, and, quite possibly, who we are.

The back flap has some great stuff too...
    DIGITAL JUSTICE, which took more than a year to create, puts the latest advances in computer graphics at the service of what comic books have become at the dawn of the Twenty First Century--a state-of-the-art combination of 3D modeling, Raster and Vector painting and drawing programs, page layout and story telling. It was produced on a Macintosh II system with an 8bit/32bit color board, a system pallete of 16,000,000 possible colors, 8MB of RAM, a removable 45 MB hard disk drive and a 19" Trinitron monitor

In regards to author Pepe Moreno...
    As one knowledgeable editor says, "Pepe is a true visionary. What he's into now, we'll ALL be into in ten years. Heaven knows where Pepe will be by then.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Digital Justice is one of the ugliest fucking things I've ever seen.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited July 2009
    16 MILLION POSSIBLE COLORS, ANJIN

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my god

i hadn't even thought of the world of possibility we have in this digital age

it's passed me by

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There aren't even 16 million colors, damn it. If you change green a little bit, it's still green.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you look on Pepe Moreno's Wikipedia page, he's also self-credited with popularizing DRM.

What an upstanding individual!

HadjiQuest on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does reading Spider-man Loves Mary Jane count as a secret shame?

If so then that is definitely my shame.

Slicer on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    No, because it was a well-reviewed/received book that seemed to actually draw in female readers, from all accounts.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have every issue of those Mortal Kombat comics that were issued by Malibu Comics.

Should I . . . should I punish myself in some way? It seemed like every other phrase in those books was, "and this is for absolute certain . . .".

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have every issue of those Mortal Kombat comics that were issued by Malibu Comics.

Should I . . . should I punish myself in some way? It seemed like every other phrase in those books was, "and this is for absolute certain . . .".

I think reading those is punishment enough.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I have a copy of Batman: Digital Justice.

I'm going to need to see some scans of this beauty. All Google is returning is the cover.

Mr Pink on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Oh, holy shit. Here is a real secret shame, something that I am blushing even to type. I was digging through my longboxes the other day when I discovered a copy of one of the early-90s Marvel Swimsuit Specials.

See, when we were twelve or thirteen, my friends and I were in the habit of pooling our allowances and getting back issues and TPBs (which were mysterious, weird things) from this mail-order comic catalog outfit, since our local shop wasn't that well-stocked. With certain dollar amounts they'd give you your choice of freebies and one year one of the options was a pack of two Marvel Swimsuit Specials and the Image one, of which we each claimed one apiece - I think I chose mine because it had the Jim Lee picture of Psylocke, who was clearly the best. I remember we had to run to my friend's house as fast as we could after school got out so we could beat his parents to the mailbox.

(NSFW for PG-13 drawings with bad anatomy)
    1992.jpg
    lee1.jpg
    147772467_49556b73cd.jpg

It's pretty bad, but I still think it was a better deal than the time I ordered from that company and the freebie was six issues of Warriors of Plasm.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh god, the Swimsuit Specials. Man, all the crazy things I would've bought if I'd had the money.

Like Avengelyne and Lady Death....

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well having big boobs is the most common superpower.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hahahaha, oh god, I remember those swimsuit specials. Wow, that was really a long time ago wasn't it?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited July 2009
    I remember those swimsuit issues, or the first one at least. It was a comic, so it snuck past your parents radar, but was Playboy-lite. A friend had a clubhouse type place in his backyard and we had those pages plastered up in there to go along with the hidden SI swimsuit issue. We would sit in their and read our comics and look up the Wizard price guide to see how much we needed to buy all issues of ________ (whatever was cool at the time, either Batman or Wolverine or Spider-Man). Man, that takes me back to being innocent youths.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The Captain America looks kind of like Alex Ross' work, and aren't all the women of Marvel already wearing nothing more than swimsuits?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited July 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Jordyn wrote: »
    I have a copy of Batman: Digital Justice.

I'm going to need to see some scans of this beauty. All Google is returning is the cover.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's...bad.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    It's pretty bad, but I still think it was a better deal than the time I ordered from that company and the freebie was six issues of Warriors of Plasm.

Oh man, Plasm.

What's Jim Shooter up to these days anyway?

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Oh man, Plasm.

What's Jim Shooter up to these days anyway?

I like to imagine he's sitting in a dark lair with his cat, plotting a very elaborate and unbelievable plan to take over Marvel Comics, and finally do away with James Bond.

Hensler on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One fine day at the bookstore, I had a choice of buying either Venom: Lethal Protector #1 or Punisher 2099 #1. I went with Venom. To make up for it, though, I later bought issues of Hulk 2099 and and Spider-Man 2099. I couldn't find X-Men 2099, though ... :(

Also, I don't have a scan but does anyone remember Marvel's Sleepwalker #1? The cover was actually a paper mask for you to cut out.
    wikipedia wrote:
    "The character finally saw release in reaction to the DC Comics character Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. Popular legend is that Marvel, at the time, announced in a press release that Sleepwalker was "Sandman done right", although it is not known if this is actually true."

emnmnme on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    also the comics I am least not ashamed of owning are the issues of the Punisher where he was turned black
    How the hell did that happen?

Punisher nearly died, but his drug addict (I think) female companion was a surgeon or something and repaired him, but she had to use some chemical or something that pigmented his skin black. He then went on to team up with Luke Cage and be two angry black guys:

B2288060.JPG

B2288061.JPG

Okay, I need to see this ASAP.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought this at the impressionable age of 11, for the ridiculous sum of £20. ("But, Dad, it's totally worth it! Look, it comes with its own certificate of proof an' everything!")

It didn't even look half as good as the regular cover.

Red or Alive on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Punisher nearly died, but his drug addict (I think) female companion was a surgeon or something and repaired him, but she had to use some chemical or something that pigmented his skin black. He then went on to team up with Luke Cage and be two angry black guys:

The more I see it, the more I want to read it...It's so repulsive of a concept, yet I cannot stop wondering how horribly awesome it is.

We better be careful though: if Marvel catches wind that people are buying Black Punisher, we'll wake up to a Hispanic Punisher, Asian Punisher, Eskimo Punisher, Indigenous American Punisher, etc. It’ll be “It’s a Small World” crossed with heavily-armed vigilantes.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the lack of balance in your chose levels of political correctness.

"Black Punisher..."
    "Indigenous American Punisher"

ManonvonSuperock on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

The more I see it, the more I want to read it...It's so repulsive of a concept, yet I cannot stop wondering how horribly awesome it is.

We better be careful though: if Marvel catches wind that people are buying Black Punisher, we'll wake up to a Hispanic Punisher, Asian Punisher, Eskimo Punisher, Indigenous American Punisher, etc. It’ll be “It’s a Small World” crossed with heavily-armed vigilantes.

It'd be like that Coke commercial from the 70s, except instead of Coke bringing the races together, it'll be the joy of vigilante murder sprees.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2009
    I have the strongest feeling the color change was justified to allow Frank to kill gangsters other than Italian at that point. For the longest time he just went after those Vinny's and Tony's in the slick suits, not the Puffy's and the Biggie's.

We've come so far now, to have Frank shoot anyone indiscriminately.

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    One fine day at the bookstore, I had a choice of buying either Venom: Lethal Protector #1 or Punisher 2099 #1. I went with Venom. To make up for it, though, I later bought issues of Hulk 2099 and and Spider-Man 2099. I couldn't find X-Men 2099, though ... :(

Also, I don't have a scan but does anyone remember Marvel's Sleepwalker #1? The cover was actually a paper mask for you to cut out.
    wikipedia wrote:
    "The character finally saw release in reaction to the DC Comics character Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman. Popular legend is that Marvel, at the time, announced in a press release that Sleepwalker was "Sandman done right", although it is not known if this is actually true."

Oh man, I loved Sleepwalker, I may or may not have the entire run in a box somewhere. Actually hearing that Sleepwalker was going to be in Ms. Marvel along with the Nextwave version of Machine Man is what convinced me to start reading her book.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Sleepwalker seems to be making a comeback. A lot of people I know have started digging it out and reading it "ironically" lately.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have the Lady Death swimsuit special. It's... the most horrible thing. There isn't a single drawing that holds up by current standards.

I also have Dawn #1, which is utter garbage beyond the front cover.

Delzhand on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know the horrible early '90s Punisher mini-series where he was basically reborn as an angel or some nonsense and could pull any gun out of his trench coat and hunted gangster demons. I have it. Multiples of all four issues, including all the variant covers and other junk. It's still in my basement in the storage chest. I meant to sell it, but every time I go down to retrieve it, I spend an hour lovingly recalled my mis-spent youth, and it ends up back in storage.

You know, I actually liked that series. I thought it was a very interesting direction to take Castle, a repentant Punisher, looking for forgiveness. I have alwasy thought that Castle was very similar to Hal Jordan, just naturally boring.

Matthew on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    You know the horrible early '90s Punisher mini-series where he was basically reborn as an angel or some nonsense and could pull any gun out of his trench coat and hunted gangster demons. I have it. Multiples of all four issues, including all the variant covers and other junk. It's still in my basement in the storage chest. I meant to sell it, but every time I go down to retrieve it, I spend an hour lovingly recalled my mis-spent youth, and it ends up back in storage.

You know, I actually liked that series. I thought it was a very interesting direction to take Castle, a repentant Punisher, looking for forgiveness. I have alwasy thought that Castle was very similar to Hal Jordan, just naturally boring.

I can't really comprehend his completely black and white viewpoint on morality. Like those villains in Civil War. I don't know them very well, but were they little more than robbers in colorful suits? Did they really need to be gunned down in a room full of heroes?

It just seems like his viewpoint is the kind that would develop from his tragedy and leave, but he's gripped to it mercilessly.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I guess Millar wanted to give Frank a Rorchach moment in the Civil War issue but I do agree the villains, GoldBug and the American version of Plunderer, weren't exactly mass-murderers. Plus the fact that Millar has a problem grasping the "subtle" part of storytelling most of the time.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought it was pretty weird to see Punisher involved in Civil War at all.

On a related note, I'm ashamed to have worn a Skull-Logo Punisher t-shirt in high school, and without even being a Punisher fan at that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Matthew wrote: »

Does anybody remember what issues had the Angelic Punisher thing going? I had the Wolverine team up mini-series, but not where he actually died and started working for Heaven. I'd like to go back and read it again.

Hensler on