As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shadowrun3] [Session 3 7/28] Stealing magical prototypes for fun and profit

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love magic too much.
    Esther Smith, 24 year old Hermetic Mage
    A - Full Mage
    B - 400,000 Nuyen (24,095)
    C - Elf
    D - Attributes
    E - Skills

Middle Lifestyle (5 months)
    Squatter Lifestyle (5 months)

Attributes
    Body 2
    Quickness 4
    Strength 1
    Charisma 5
    Intelligence 6
    Willpower 6

Derived
    Essence 6
    Magic 6
    Reaction 5
    Initiative 1d6

Pools
    Combat Pool 8
    Spell Pool 6
    Astral Combat 8

Skills
    Sorcery/Spellcasting (WIL) 5/7
    Conjuring (WIL) 6
    Aura Reading (INT) 3
    Shotguns/Enfield AS7 (QUI) 3/5
    Etiquette/Corporate (CHA) 2/4
    Car (REA) 1

Spell Design 4
    Anthropology 3
    Biology 2
    Conjuring 4
    Sorcery 4
    Etiquette 2
    Shotguns 2
    Urban Brawl 3
    Gang Identification 3
    Tir Tairngire 3

English / Scientific Jargon 3/5 (R/W 1)
    Sperethiel 4 (R/W 2)
    Japanese 1 (R/W 0)

Spells
    Stunbolt 6
    Lightning Bolt 6
    Armor 6
    Heal 5
    Physical Mask 2
    Increased Reflexes +3 2

Loot
    Conjuring Library 6
    Sorcery Library 6
    Sustaining Focus (Physical Mask) 2
    Sustaining Focus (Increased Reflexes +3) 2

Enfield AS7
    -Custom Finish
    -Smart Gun I
    -Smart Shades I
    -Sling
    -4x 10 round clip (slugs)
    -3x 10 round clip (flechette)

Secure Long Coat
    Tres Chic Clothing (+ x3 more)
    Nano Tattoos

Stimulant Patch (4) x3
    Trauma Patch
    DocWagon: Gold Service

Basic Pocket Secretary
    Music Playback Unit + 3x chips
    Forged Credstick 3 (Esther Smith)
    Micro-Transceiver 2 + Subvocal Microphone

Contacts
    Street Gang Tough
    Orkish Talismonger
    Edward Mort, the Ridiculous Ghoul Street Samurai of Sorts

INeedNoSalt on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    You forgot to link NSCRG

Are you using any of BlackJack's houserules?

Anyway, throwing together a few characters. Troll mechanic(Contact), and a few variations on the theme of former corporate security.
    I didn't so much forget as couldn't find. That's what I was looking last night Spork.

Edit: I'm not sure what Blackjack's house rules are.

Spork: :( Sorry to see you go, but understood. Don't stress out too hard!

INNS: From what I understand 4 marks language fluency. You'll have to roleplay that 3 english.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Hm hm.

What does an elven accent sound like? :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would totally be up for this if there is any room left.

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    INNS: I've always assumed it was a lisp.

Verr: There is, we're at 3 players so far.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Swanky, i'm looking into a decker type character. I only have limited experience with Shadowrun though, so i'll be a pain. :P

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    You'll be fine. Let me know if you need any help.

Edit: I'll be in irc in #pacf which brings up another issue. Does anybody know how we can roll dice there?

piL on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It occurs to me that we may find somebody who actually knows Seattle helpful.

Is Freefall 4 excessive for a physical adept?

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    piL wrote: »
    You'll be fine. Let me know if you need any help.

Edit: I'll be in irc in #pacf which brings up another issue. Does anybody know how we can roll dice there?

i'll see if i can get a dice roller working :x

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    It occurs to me that we may find somebody who actually knows Seattle helpful.

Is Freefall 4 excessive for a physical adept?

*points to OP*

i'm not sure piL's gonna take a third magic character?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    INNS is right. You're going to want some chrome I think Zahn. Sorry.

Question for anybody that knows: Elemental spells damage scales up from additional successes on the sorcery test, like normal weapons; is this correct?

piL on
    edited July 2009
    I have two concepts now
    A dwarf mercenary who, after putting the shaped charges in backwards, incinerating his client instead of the five heavily armed men outside the door, ended up SINless.
    and
    A troll Street Sam who enjoys the finer things in life, like suits, tea, and throwing Humanis Policlub members from high places.

What books are we using?

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    I like both concepts. We're using SR3 stuff for the most part. I guess that's Man and Machine, Cannon Companion, Shadowrun Compendium, Matrix, Rigger 3, Magic in the Shadows. The year is 2061, so the SOTAs are out. I'm sure there's all kinds of stuff I've missed, but yeah--round about there.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Hrm. Noob question. Is essence attackable, or drainable in some such way, because it's looking like that number could go down fast?

Verr on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A low essence isn't particularly dangerous to yourself in combat. It's not like someone is going to usually be able to attack it and make you pay for it.

The point of essence is balancing chrome vs magic. You can't do both easily.

And hrmm, Tuesdays eh? I work until 6:30pm EST though. I could make a 7pm EST game.

Would a rigger concept work, or would that not be ideal for what you have in mind?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Riggers are just fine, but keep in mind the struggles you'll have as a rigger character. Just try not to get too focused in one single thing is what I suggest, because no, you cannot use your submarine 8 skill all that often.

I think you make the fifth player Infidel, even if you're late. Correct everyone?

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Will the time be a problem? I can get home and eat and be ready for 7pm.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Still plan on starting at 6. If everyone else is fine with you showing up an hour late, I'm ok with it as well.

piL on
  • illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The main thing about having a low essence is that it makes healing you with magic a lot more difficult.

illgottengains on
    edited July 2009
    Where does that come in, exactly?

Because the Heal and Treat spells don't mention Essence anywhere.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    I know recovery can be a bitch when you're awakened, magic loss sucks.

Wooo new geas because you took a nasty slug to the gut on that last run!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Where does that come in, exactly?

Because the Heal and Treat spells don't mention Essence anywhere.

Heal's target number is 10-essence (of the person being healed)

Other notes about healing: You can use first aid before but not after magical healing.

Magical healing only works on damage now. If you sustain 6 points of damage, and magical healing heals you for 3, you cannot be magically healed to full. If you later sustain 4 more points of damage, and end up 7 points down, and a mage gets 5 successes, it will only heal 4 boxes, bringing you back up to three down.

Edit: Looking up bioware, found something I didn't know. Geasa cannot be used to counter the magic effects of bioware, since it's only a virtual loss. I don't think it applies to anyone, just neat.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I bugged my friend to give me his copy, and i'm in an ongoing struggling to throw together a character, stat wise. At a mega-lan deal right now, so i'll try to get it up by tonight.

Verr on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    pIL, you should totally, totally look at using BeCKS as the chargen system. It's very, very good, although it tends to make slightly less-powerful characters at game start than point-buy or priority. (Priority is, in my opinion, a pretty horrible chargen system.)

Salvation122 on
    edited July 2009
    man no way do i want to redo my character. eff that.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    Also, I can't get the NSRCG file to work. D:

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Holy crap. I'm wading through the decker section of the core book. This looks very complex. D:

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    decking can be made more simple, when I GMed SR2 I dumbed the rules down a bit so as not to get all bogged down in the 'trix

illgottengains on
    edited July 2009
    Oh, i'll deal, just don't complain when I get you all killed. :winky:

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Ya. I'm sure we'll be fine. I'll admit, I was about 13 when I started playing SR2, maybe younger ^^.. so our comprehension of the rules may have been subpar.. I can only just remember the decker plugging in while the rest fo the group is standing around his meat corpse.. decker: Ok. I'll analyze this node. Me: Ok roll for it. This is a SPU node. Not the CPU, but it's pretty important. Decker: I'll shut the node down then. Me: Ok. blah blah.. Other players: YAWN YAWN YAWN Decker: On no BLACK ICE!?!? ME OH YES! Roll for initiative! (One hour later) Other players: ZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZ Decker: Sweet! I unlocked the doors for this floor of the tower! Hey guys? Guys?

illgottengains on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmmm.... I've been playing a great deal of NEOTOKYO (and so should you! free mod if you already own the Source engine!) and this could really scratch an itch I've been developing ;o Most of my experience is 2e, but I'll catch up and maybe submit a character, unless a 'we're full' beats me to the punch.

e~ That's about how I remember decking IGG, and at times going astral or off-site rigging ;p To be honest, PbP is more ideal for SR if that's still the case.

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2009
    I'll make sure to alert all the Hosts and IC when i'm in the matrix, you non-deckers have something to do.

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Here is a rapidshare link for NSRCG that works for me. The above link was all fux'd for me as well.

http://rs129.rapidshare.com/files/45415927/nsrcg.zip

fadingathedges on
    edited July 2009
    Well, I got a ramshackle rough draft thrown together, I still need to buy Cyberware, and other miscellaneous stuff, plus I haven't counted my skillpoints. I'll work on it tomorrow. I have a 13 hour or so drive to do, so it'll be changed late.
    Verr mk1
    Skills (A) 50
    Resources (B) 400,000
    Attributes (C) 24
    Race (D) Dwarf
    Magic (E) -

B 4
    Q 5
    S 5
    C 3
    I 6
    W 5
    E
    M -
    R 5

Active:
    Clubs 3
    Pistol 5
    Stealth 5
    Biotech 3
    Computer 6
    Electronics 6
    Etiquette (Matrix) 3
    Cars 3
    Bikes 3

Knowledge:
    Cybertechnology 5
    English 6
    w/r 3
    Japanese 4
    w/r 2
    Cityspeak 2
    Matrix (Cyber) Gangs 4
    Drugs 3

Stuff:
    Fichetti Security 500 (400)
    - 4x10 Regular Ammo (80)
    - 2x10 Gel Ammo (60)
    Club (Baseball Bat) (10)

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    I lied, my core book is 3e not 2nd, so I'm actually more familiar than I expected to be. Different cover than yours pictured though, which threw me off.

I'm making a face to compete with yours, RU! I'll make a backup plan too though in case yours is unbeatably cool.

fadingathedges on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    A low essence isn't particularly dangerous to yourself in combat. It's not like someone is going to usually be able to attack it and make you pay for it.
    Well, unless they're HMVV-positive, or (if I remember correctly) Insect Spirits or targeting you via ritual sorcery, in which case you're straight fucked.

None of these are particularly common in your typical SR game, though. In my experience, GMs usually (correctly) view vampires as fucking broken unless you're in an almost entirely magic-based game, and reserve ritual sorcery as either a plot device or a way to screw you for royally fucking up/pissing someone off.

Salvation122 on
    edited July 2009
    Well, fading, TBH with the new ruleset "hacking" is pretty simple once you know what you want you want to do. At least, it looked simple when the "Technomancer" did it. Which I think is great. It didn't bog down the game. However. They made it WiFi. No more need to drag your decker's smelly arse into the Renraku compound, course, he/she came along anyway because why sit out side picking up signals on the sidewalk when you could be hacking with the right side of your mind and shooting your SMG with the left side.. You don't even Jack in anymore! It's terrible, they effed with the whole aesthetic of shadowrun and made hacking a "Magical" thing. Sort of like every hacker is an Otaku that just picks up on bianary code floating through the air. The concept is crap. But the rules for it work.... But I digress. Decking needn't be over complicated and bog down a game. Hopefully it'll be nice and smooth like Yushima in the Astral.

"Is that mostly cyberware troll hanging around that next corner's aura looked angry? three successes. Ok. I cast Influence pn him and tell him whatever he does DO NOT FIGHT US!"

illgottengains on
    edited July 2009
    e~ That's about how I remember decking IGG, and at times going astral or off-site rigging ;p To be honest, PbP is more ideal for SR if that's still the case.

that way the rest of the team can sit around for months instead of half an hour :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Oh, i'll deal, just don't complain when I get you all killed. :winky:

"What do you mean, "couldn't access the LTG"?"

"Oh fuck."

"Well, I gotta go guys."

"What does that mean! D:"

"YOU ARE SURROUNDED, PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD"

"Oh goddamnit."

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    I plan on being a little fast and loose with the decking rules. Not completely just half-assing it, but doing what I can to make it go smooth and fast. Deckers are encouraged to get in and out anyway, because every action and every turn adds to your security sheaf. My advice to deckers: have a plan going in.

piL on