As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arcanum] We were unaware of any activity in the general vasectomy!

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That would work.

Speaking of which, I am aware that Castroville is ridiculously out of the way - so if'd help I could always meet you guys half-way.

DE?AD on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you want, but no big deal. We'd be on the freeway most of the way anyway and my car gets good gas mileage, so I don't think we'd burn too much gas.

Moriveth on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alright, cool. I guess I will send you directions sometime this week, then.

DE?AD on
  • snapsnap Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is there anywhere to get a tesla rod without having to make it yourself?

snap on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not 100% sure but I seem to remember finding one near the end of the game. That's near the very end, though, so probably not very useful to you.

Moriveth on
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else run into the problem where you can't make the offering to Halcyon? I did the quest, fixed the altar and all that, but I can't open the altar or read the statue...

scarlet blvd. on
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone else run into the problem where you can't make the offering to Halcyon? I did the quest, fixed the altar and all that, but I can't open the altar or read the statue...

Sorry, haven't started working on the shrines yet. Let me know if you figure it out.

scarlet ave. on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

It's very possible that you have to sac to all the minor gods first.

Jasconius on
    edited July 2009
    Aren't there major gods and minor gods, or different rings or something, I think I read something like that in a walkthrough. I'll have to see though, I've only found maybe 4 altars so far

scarlet blvd. on
    edited July 2009
    Aren't there major gods and minor gods, or different rings or something, I think I read something like that in a walkthrough. I'll have to see though, I've only found maybe 4 altars so far

Yeah, that's your problem.

There are 4 circles of minor gods, 2 or 3 a piece, that you have to sac to before you can sac to the 2 major gods, one of which is Halycon.

Then, there's the All-Father, who you can't sac to unless you sac all of them in an exact order. The All-Farther bonus is ridiculously powerful.

There was a full list/order earlier in this thread, circa page 5.

Jasconius on
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I really need to get back to this game. I had the unfortunate realization with my friend this week that Supreme Commander is actually a retarded amount of fun on a LAN network...yes, we even have a table set up in our living room.

That...and have been playing Civ 4...so it might be a bit.

Drew-B on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I think I'll give Arcanum another try.

Does anybody know some good character creation guides? I don't wanna make a dud.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I haven't seen much in terms of character creation guides, though I suppose if you google about a bit there'll no doubt be some forum posts about new characters and stuff.

I wish my thief could branch out into tech a bit more. Gonna have to level him carefully so I don't waste too much.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I played around with black necromancy. It's satisfying to click on something and watch it die. Maybe I'll do a magic playthrough.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wrapped this up last night. By the end of the game, my character was just disgustingly powerful. Droch's Warbringer with maxed out firearms skill, and a kind of ludicrously large party. Gar, Jayna, Magnus, Smythe, Sebastian, Dog, and then a character who is a massive spoiler. My party was so big that my framerate was actually suffering in the final dungeon. Oh, and I gave Sebastian the other Warbringer, Gar had a Pyrotechnic Axe - the final battle took 30 seconds.

I really wish more games (RPGs in particular) had those vignette-style endings, where you see how you impacted everything. Feels very rewarding.

Poorochondriac on
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »
    Well, I played around with black necromancy. It's satisfying to click on something and watch it die. Maybe I'll do a magic playthrough.

Take magic levels in something like this order for the first few levels:

+ Black Necromancy 1 - Basic damage spell. Strength varies based on your magic aptitude, so this will get more powerful as you learn more magic.
    + Conveyance 2 - Open locks. Sweet spell, and Conveyance is good.
    + Mental 2 - Stun, key to surviving a lot of encounters.

After that, level what you like for a while. The only restriction is that, by level 15, you should have your Willpower at 18.

Depending on your character's race and background, this will either be really easy, or it will require you to sink most of your points into WP. (A good race/background combo is Elf/Dark Elf Follower, which starts you at 11 WP off the bat.)

The reason you need 18 WP is to buy Conveyance 5, Teleport. Once you have that, you can really branch out into whatever you like. I recommend putting more points into various branches of magic since this will make all of your spells stronger.

scarlet ave. on
    edited July 2009
    You can't go wrong with Conveyance. Ever.

You really can't go wrong with Dark Necro either.

I've always wanted to make a 5 point summoner though.

Strangely enough, it's the elemental pools that suck the most... Fire is decent, but not as strong as Dark Necro or Force.

Stay away from Divination at all costs... poorly thought out tree.

I believe several of the magic pools (and even some of the tech ones) were designed for a theoretical multiplayer community al a Neverwinter Nights that just never materialized.

Example: The Tempus pool... has a spell that locks something like a window or door.

Really?

Jasconius on
    edited July 2009
    I have a little dilemma. The first time I played Arcanum it was very hard but very satisfying as a gun character. This time I'm playing as a mage/melee, but it's incredibly easy. I have a part of five or six, all in their 30's (level wise, that is) and combat is a breeze. I know that if I skip some stuff and dive deeper into the main quest (I just finished Quintara) the game will get more challenging...but that's not really my style. I like to take my time, do side quests and that sort of thing...the problem is doing things like that level your character up...and I can already tell my character is way too strong for where I'm at in the game right now. I'm afraid that if I keep this pace up, I'll just continue to get stronger, as the level disparity between my party and my enemies gets larger.

Drew-B on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    don't spend your points for a while...?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

Take magic levels in something like this order for the first few levels:

+ Black Necromancy 1 - Basic damage spell. Strength varies based on your magic aptitude, so this will get more powerful as you learn more magic.
    + Conveyance 2 - Open locks. Sweet spell, and Conveyance is good.
    + Mental 2 - Stun, key to surviving a lot of encounters.

After that, level what you like for a while. The only restriction is that, by level 15, you should have your Willpower at 18.

Depending on your character's race and background, this will either be really easy, or it will require you to sink most of your points into WP. (A good race/background combo is Elf/Dark Elf Follower, which starts you at 11 WP off the bat.)

The reason you need 18 WP is to buy Conveyance 5, Teleport. Once you have that, you can really branch out into whatever you like. I recommend putting more points into various branches of magic since this will make all of your spells stronger.

Woo! Thanks!

Yeah, I'm probably gonna pick a female (for the slight con bonus) Elf, with the dark elf background. It's really just a sweet deal. Only Child and Sheltered Childhood also looked interesting, but they have daunting draw backs.

Conveyance looks really cool, so I have no problem picking up all of it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited July 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

I suppose I could do that...but if you give me a shitty game, and add skill points to it, it instantly becomes a not-shitty game for me. They're my cocaine.

Drew-B on
    edited July 2009
    I'm level 37 or so now, and I feel like, yea I'm pretty powerful, but I wish I had the points to make all of the tech things, but still be effective with them, and it doesn't seem like I'll be able to. Maybe once my intellect hits 19, one more level I think, but then I still need to raise skills and perception if I want to make some machine guns and such, and add points to all my techs... Damn it all!

Maybe I could do an evil playthrough and check out some of the magic stuff, but it's always so difficult to choose your skills and such.

scarlet blvd. on
    edited July 2009
    Hey, I'm getting together with a group to play Catan tomorrow night, though. Never played before, but I'm pretty stoked. Anything I should keep in mind so I can play somewhat competently?

Drew-B on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »

I suppose I could do that...but if you give me a shitty game, and add skill points to it, it instantly becomes a not-shitty game for me. They're my cocaine.

Besides, your party members will level anyway, so they'll end up slaughtering everything without your help.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited July 2009
    You've got to be fucking kidding me...
    Because I didn't say the exact right thing to the dwarf king's son in the beginning, I can't get the king as a follower at the end? Seriously?!

scarlet blvd. on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, there are a couple spots like that, where you can screw yourself without knowing it until it's too late.

Craigopogo on
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised you're levelling so quickly with that many party members.

Not attacking will make you level slower. You get XP for damage done, so not doing any will help.

But you are 10 levels ahead of the curve, it's going to get easier and easier until the 40's. (which for you will probably be the high 40's)

Jasconius on
    edited July 2009
    Because I didn't say the exact right thing to the dwarf king's son in the beginning, I can't get the king as a follower at the end? Seriously?!

He's a shitty follower anyway, and he ends up leaving you for some scripted event.

Jasconius on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

He's a shitty follower anyway, and he ends up leaving you for some scripted event.
    I thought only Virgil left for something. Loghaire is pretty good, he starts with 20STR, so he's a decent fighter.

Craigopogo on
    edited July 2009
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

I thought only Virgil left for something. Loghaire is pretty good, he starts with 20STR, so he's a decent fighter.

I could have sworn he leaves.

Yeah he starts with 20 STR, but so do plenty of other followers.

Anyway, I started playing an evil, slightly magic thief, and it's been fun. Backstab is soooo OP. The only problem is when you critically fail on a backstab, you hit yourself for backstab damage.. and when you only have 5 str... it sucks.

Jasconius on
    edited July 2009
    I can't believe that...
    Oh wait, it's just drunk Sam
    0630090444.jpg

Drew-B on
    edited July 2009
    adorable

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited July 2009
    Ahaha, I can see nothing's changed since I moved away.

scarlet ave. on
    edited July 2009
    ps: about Catan, if you've never played before, just remember that the goal is to get points, not just to build stuff. Watch out for other players doing sneaky things like getting three Soldiers fast...you'll see what I mean pretty quick.

(I love that game so much, but it seems like getting three or four people together to play it is harder than setting up a goddamn raid was in WoW.)

scarlet ave. on
    edited July 2009
    That trash can is actually grated, like a cheese grater...so I don't know how effective it would have been.

Drew-B on
    edited July 2009
    Oh man. I killed Applebee, used a stick of dynamite on his safe... what do I find?
    Sword of Derian-Ka, 20 speed sword! I hope it triggers a special dialog in Tsen-Ang.

P.S. 22-26 damage backstabs at level 14? Yes plz.

Jasconius on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh jesus christ

i just got to the glimmering forest, right?
    and now i have to head back to the hall of records in tarant to find out about what's-his-name that knows about the dark elves. i ran into the orc revolt at the factory, and agreed to trick the orc leader into surrendering, thinking that I could bring about some peaceful resolution. I tried every solution I could and failed... but when I convinced them to burn tarant to the ground, I, uh... I kind of saved afterwards. Over my old one. And all my other saves are like, barely after the BMC caves part of the game. The thing is that everyone in Tarant is hostile to me... I managed to get out of the city unseen and ran around the map a bit, hoping that they would forget about it or something, but to no avail. Am.... am I completely fucked? Is this ever going to blow over?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2009
    Well, you did just
    tell a horde of orcs to destroy an entire city
    I don't think they'll forget

edit: Or rather, a tiny group of orcs...

scarlet blvd. on
    edited July 2009
    At that point you never really have to go back to Tarant anyway.

Until you come back for vengeance.

Jasconius on
    edited July 2009
    ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png