As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    maaaaaan, what. from your reactions i'm surprised you don't want to recommend it to others.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    ok now that you're just about finished with the series (there's more after the credits) here's why I like school days
    1- if you ever ask yourself "why the hell doesn't ed just jump winry already" or "why doesn't the main character just do all those chicks in that harem anime (like negima). well this anime answers that question for you

2- you spent your whole reactions to saying what a dick makoto is. and in the end he gets what he deserved. so does that other girl
    Re: 2
    This is practically the only ending where that happens, though.
    Well this one is pretty much the bad end to cover.

Given the reasons why School Days (the game) got popular it's very clear why the anime took such a grotesque form.

Joule on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This is starting to get kinda wierd....
    Did he just nearly rape Sekai?

Niceguyeddie616 on
    edited July 2009
    ok now that you're just about finished with the series (there's more after the credits) here's why I like school days
    1- if you ever ask yourself "why the hell doesn't ed just jump winry already" or "why doesn't the main character just do all those chicks in that harem anime (like negima). well this anime answers that question for you

2- you spent your whole reactions to saying what a dick makoto is. and in the end he gets what he deserved. so does that other girl
    Visual Novel stuff
    anime stuff
    Well it's a good thing I'm talking about the anime and never saw or mention or have an opinion on the visial novels or anything else then.

So yeah. I liked the anime.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Now
    Sekai came over to his house for some reason. Does no one ever learn, I bet this will end up with her falling back into his arms again and Makoto will continue reaping the rewards of sociopathy.

How naive I was.....

OH MY GOOOODDDDDDD

Thetheroo on
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do I need to repost my School Days Will Destroy You rant?

Greeper on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You were warned. All I can do is keep a smug look on my face when I'm not laughing.

desugrin.jpg

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    Joule wrote: »

Given the reasons why School Days (the game) got popular it's very clear why the anime took such a grotesque form.

Actually there are three endings like that in the game, but none of them like the anime's. Which is still just out of like, 18.
    Kotonoha runs into them in the street and slits Sakai's neck with a sawblade.
    Kotonoha calls Makoto to the school and then head dives off the roof in front of him.
    Or Kotonoha calls Makoto to the beach and then stabs him in the gut and leaves him to die.

I really am convinced that it's only notable for School Days being more heavily animated than most VNs. It's certainly not notable for any other reason, especially given the number of VNs that are fucked up to begin with.

Aroduc on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Greeper wrote: »
    Please do. For the love of humanity.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

I wouldn't be opposed to something like that.

Rust on
    edited July 2009
    This is starting to get kinda wierd....
    Did he just nearly rape Sekai?

For the love of all creation, STOP NOW!

Thetheroo on
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Joule wrote: »

Actually there are three endings like that in the game, but none of them like the anime's. Which is still just out of like, 18.
    Kotonoha calls Makoto to the school and then head dives off the roof in front of him.
    Or Kotonoha calls Makoto to the beach and then stabs him in the gut and leaves him to die.

I really am convinced that it's only notable for School Days being more heavily animated than most VNs. It's certainly not notable for any other reason.

I posted a gif of #2.

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2009
    well my thread's almost done, but I'm glad that within it some people watched school days

I'll probably make the new one once we hit 100. For the title I'm thinking of: [Anime Thread] I thought it couldn't get any wooooorrrrssssseeeeee

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2009
    well my thread's almost done, but I'm glad that within it some people watched school days

strike witches on the other hand... maybe kelar would be the only person that i could get to watch that one. school days I think everyone can watch, and strike witches is loliloliloliloliloliloliloliairplane-tanfurries

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2009
    Should I be masochistic and watch Strike Witches? I'm thinking no.

Thetheroo on
    edited July 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I'll probably make the new one once we hit 100. For the title I'm thinking of: [Anime Thread] I thought it couldn't get any wooooorrrrssssseeeeee

I changed the thread title at least twice a day though.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2009

If girls not wearing pants doesn't bother you it's supposed to be pretty good. But if you watch it and like it, you probably won't want to admit it.

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2009

If girls not wearing pants doesn't bother you it's supposed to be pretty good. But if you watch it and like it, you probably won't want to admit it.

How old are the girls in question?

Thetheroo on
    edited July 2009
    I think the plot's watchable, and it has good animation and fight scenes, but it's like 20% things I can recommend to anyone, 80% loli fanservice

teens, so 13 to 19, but they all look like they're 12

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2009

I changed the thread title at least twice a day though.

I changed my script to set the title to whatever I want. Makes it easier to find when I'm browsing D&D.

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2009
    Here it is:

Here is why I hate School Days, as plain and as quickly as I can, at every reason I can still think of, for my memory of it is fading fast, my subconscious mind rebels against the very memory of such a mindfuck of a show, read on at your own peril.

School Days spoilers obviously, but you weren't going to watch it anyway right?
    The whole show is A Trap. Itou starts off pretty similar to a lot of weak-willed spineless anime main characters. You know, just like me . Immediately I begin to empathize with him. The first episode involves a rather standard fare: He has a crush on a girl but neither the willingness nor the raw guts to do what needs to be done. So I'm caught immediately. I empathize with him totally already: "Go on, good son." I say. "Do what you can."

Katsura is absolutely adorable. She's cute and earnest and shy and absolutely needs to be defended. Itou's crush on her is equally adorable. Silently, earnestly, they fall in love with each other without even talking. Absolutely beautiful. A relationship not realized in gestures or words or embraces, but merely in shy glances across a train. What, I think, is not to love?

Enter: Sekai. Immediately I don't really like her, there's a feeling about her of borderline insanity and busybody-ness that, by the time it goes away, has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Of course, she has her reasons too, events were set in motion by Itou's almost unnatural attractiveness to women long before the anime began. She began, as they say, to covet the flower that she wanted to give to another.

Sekai's busybody nature is essentially self-destructive, since she attempts to deny her feelings for Makoto in an eventually fatal effort to hook him up with Katsura. Her resounding success in this regard was almost comical for me, it seemed like a happy ending after only one episode.

Would that I had only watched that one episode.

I knew that the show would end in violence, but I didn't know how. It was that promise of violence that kept me watching, even though the toughest parts. But the lightheartedness at the beginning was so gosh darn unnatural that the thought of what was to come freaked me out.

So the next couple of episodes are Makoto's awkward first dates with Katsura, ha ha that guy sure is bad with women. If only that were true. The warning signs are appearing early, but I didn't notice them. He's a fucking teenager, his obsession with the tactile obvious, and he's making boy-scared Katsura confused.

If only that were the problem. The problem is: He can't get enough. He starts cheating on her with Sekai. His initial love totally overrun by physical attraction.

And that's the trap, ladies and gentlemen. Because that's just the beginning. His earnest love for Katsura never fully extinguished, he refuses to break up with her, unfortunately he began cheating on her just as she realized how much she loves him. Abandoned, alone, confused, he absolutely and utterly emotionally crushes his crush. Ha ha. I make a pun. By the time he does break up with her, sometime in like the NINTH EPISODE JESUS, she's so far gone in love with him that she refuses to accept it. She loses her mind. He drove her to insanity and later murder.

But that's not enough people destroying for him. He cheats on Sekai with a Jr. High girl, and thus begins his long string of emotionless hookups. At first I held onto my empathy with a slightly retarded diligence. "Poor confused Makoto." I said, refusing to see the truth. "He's just being cockblocked and because he's a dumb teenager he can't see the solution."

But it was obvious by the time he fucked Setsuna that he was in too deep.

He has reasons for choosing Sekai or Katsura. I don't blame him for not wanting to anger one or the other. But he's so weak-willed. So spineless. His ambition (not being content with what he had), his power (his ability to lay any girl he chooses, apparently), and his confusion are a dangerous cocktail of life destroying. If he had chosen one quickly, everything would have been avoided. Instead he drives gentle Katsura to insanity, practically rapes stoic Setsuna, and turns light-hearted, fun, busybody Sekai into the most dangerous thing of all: A woman scorned.

and in the end they kill him and the girl who killed him. A revolting bloodbath. Katsura wins I guess, because she survives. No, Setsuna wins, I guess, because she got away. Who am I kidding? The only winners here are the background characters that never get involved in this whole shitstorm.

The murder is the last trap too, because even after all that, I'm not sure he deserved it. Emotionally unsatisfying, mentally draining, and physically disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

Not too long ago I was that kind of guy who'd watch girls on trains and fall in love with them that way, never saying a word. Since I'm pretty young, I'm also scared of the apparent power of sexuality. But I built confidence and matured a bit since then. School Days did a good job of tearing that down. Still, I see what they were trying to do, after all, and respect them for that.

Sick fucking show, though.

Greeper on
    edited July 2009
    meh it's just a bunch of lolis with no pants on.

You could do worse than Strike Witches.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE SCHOOL DAYS.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited July 2009

How old are the girls in question?

12-19, I believe. Most are 15+ IIRC.

Barrakketh on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

I really am convinced that it's only notable for School Days being more heavily animated than most VNs. It's certainly not notable for any other reason, especially given the number of VNs that are fucked up to begin with.

Guess I'm mixing up what I remember of the game's endings and the anime. They're not really things I want to keep in mind though.

Btw Aroduc/Pata/whoever else, sell me on Ever17. A non Type-Moon VN might be in order after I wrap up Tsukihime.

Joule on
    edited July 2009
    Here it is:

Here is why I hate School Days, as plain and as quickly as I can, at every reason I can still think of, for my memory of it is fading fast, my subconscious mind rebels against the very memory of such a mindfuck of a show, read on at your own peril.

The whole show is A Trap. Itou starts off pretty similar to a lot of weak-willed spineless anime main characters. You know, just like me . Immediately I begin to empathize with him. The first episode involves a rather standard fare: He has a crush on a girl but neither the willingness nor the raw guts to do what needs to be done. So I'm caught immediately. I empathize with him totally already: "Go on, good son." I say. "Do what you can."

Katsura is absolutely adorable. She's cute and earnest and shy and absolutely needs to be defended. Itou's crush on her is equally adorable. Silently, earnestly, they fall in love with each other without even talking. Absolutely beautiful. A relationship not realized in gestures or words or embraces, but merely in shy glances across a train. What, I think, is not to love?

Enter: Sekai. Immediately I don't really like her, there's a feeling about her of borderline insanity and busybody-ness that, by the time it goes away, has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. Of course, she has her reasons too, events were set in motion by Itou's almost unnatural attractiveness to women long before the anime began. She began, as they say, to covet the flower that she wanted to give to another.

Sekai's busybody nature is essentially self-destructive, since she attempts to deny her feelings for Makoto in an eventually fatal effort to hook him up with Katsura. Her resounding success in this regard was almost comical for me, it seemed like a happy ending after only one episode.

I knew that the show would end in violence, but I didn't know how. It was that promise of violence that kept me watching, even though the toughest parts. But the lightheartedness at the beginning was so gosh darn unnatural that the thought of what was to come freaked me out.

So the next couple of episodes are Makoto's awkward first dates with Katsura, ha ha that guy sure is bad with women. If only that were true. The warning signs are appearing early, but I didn't notice them. He's a fucking teenager, his obsession with the tactile obvious, and he's making boy-scared Katsura confused.

If only that were the problem. The problem is: He can't get enough. He starts cheating on her with Sekai. His initial love totally overrun by physical attraction.

And that's the trap, ladies and gentlemen. Because that's just the beginning. His earnest love for Katsura never fully extinguished, he refuses to break up with her, unfortunately he began cheating on her just as she realized how much she loves him. Abandoned, alone, confused, he absolutely and utterly emotionally crushes his crush. Ha ha. I make a pun. By the time he does break up with her, sometime in like the NINTH EPISODE JESUS, she's so far gone in love with him that she refuses to accept it. She loses her mind. He drove her to insanity and later murder.

But that's not enough people destroying for him. He cheats on Sekai with a Jr. High girl, and thus begins his long string of emotionless hookups. At first I held onto my empathy with a slightly retarded diligence. "Poor confused Makoto." I said, refusing to see the truth. "He's just being cockblocked and because he's a dumb teenager he can't see the solution."

He has reasons for choosing Sekai or Katsura. I don't blame him for not wanting to anger one or the other. But he's so weak-willed. So spineless. His ambition (not being content with what he had), his power (his ability to lay any girl he chooses, apparently), and his confusion are a dangerous cocktail of life destroying. If he had chosen one quickly, everything would have been avoided. Instead he drives gentle Katsura to insanity, practically rapes stoic Setsuna, and turns light-hearted, fun, busybody Sekai into the most dangerous thing of all: A woman scorned.

and in the end they kill him and the girl who killed him. A revolting bloodbath. Katsura wins I guess, because she survives. No, Setsuna wins, I guess, because she got away. Who am I kidding? The only winners here are the background characters that never get involved in this whole shitstorm.

The murder is the last trap too, because even after all that, I'm not sure he deserved it. Emotionally unsatisfying, mentally draining, and physically disgusting. Avoid at all costs.

Not too long ago I was that kind of guy who'd watch girls on trains and fall in love with them that way, never saying a word. Since I'm pretty young, I'm also scared of the apparent power of sexuality. But I built confidence and matured a bit since then. School Days did a good job of tearing that down. Still, I see what they were trying to do, after all, and respect them for that.

This guy. THIS FUCKING GUY.

Give me an internet hug, I need one.
    Chen wrote: »
    meh it's just a bunch of lolis with no pants on.

You could do worse than Strike Witches.

LIKE FOR EXAMPLE SCHOOL DAYS.

Dude, I've learned my lesson here. That was probably one of the biggest mistakes ever, I am scarred for life over here.

Thetheroo on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Strike Witches really isn't that bad.

I only caught the flu because I watched it.

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through episode 11 of School Days though.

WHY? WHY? I thought episode 5-6 were bad enough. This guy is a total sociopath.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2009
    Here it is:

didn't read it but
    line one is why I liked the show. it's a trap. like kaufman

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2009

Me and you are gonna need to go chill in the One Piece thread full of kickass pirates and manly men after this.

Speaking as an internet friend, stop this madness right now. It's not worth it.

Thetheroo on
    edited July 2009
    Here it is:

didn't read it but
    line one is why I liked the show. it's a trap. like kaufman

You are a fucking soulless monster. Let me spoil LIFE for you outside of tags: You die.

Greeper on
    edited July 2009

Me and you are gonna need to go chill in the One Piece thread full of kickass pirates and manly men after this.

No XoB, you've come too far to give up. You must experience it yourself!

Then maybe you can watch
    Robin help "recruit" Franky

to cleanse your mind.

"AN ORANGE?"

Barrakketh on
    edited July 2009
    PS: Aroduc, why are you here instead of ranting how surreal Canaan is?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    PS: Aroduc, why are you here instead of ranting how surreal Canaan is?

Spite.

Aroduc on
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    almost done with ep. 5

the music stopped, Makoto looks angry,

I-I'm scared

Niceguyeddie616 on
    edited July 2009

I feel responsible. I must finish this. Once and for all.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited July 2009
    kaleedity wrote: »
    I'll never see school days unless some bizarre situation comes up, but some guy had his american friends unfamiliar with the... uh, genre watch the whole series as he recorded their commentary. It's nsfw.

If for whatever reason you don't want to be spoiled, you can just listen to the audio, it doesn't give anything away.

This is a summary (NSFW)

The best part is the "WHAT...[silence] ...totally serious" reaction.

This was almost exactly how I was, except with more cursing.

Is there a full video of this anywhere online?
    almost done with ep. 5

the music stopped, Makoto looks angry,

I-I'm scared

BE VERY SCARED.

Thetheroo on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I watched the ED to Needless and I had to make sure my door was locked so Chris Hanson wouldn't walk in. D:

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
    edited July 2009
    School Days: Episode 11
    That list. That was even longer then the count I had going on!!!

Holy shit he is worse than a normal sociopath. He knows that he is doing wrong, but he flips it on and off like a switch.

Just. One. More.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited July 2009
    Noooooo, XOB!!!!! Why do you torture yourself!!!!!!

Thetheroo on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So is School Days filled with naked or is it bad just because of where it ends up? Because I can deal with a soul crushing ending, but I don't want to watch 12 episodes of porn.

deadonthestreet on
    edited July 2009
    Twenty more minutes.

Xenogears of Bore on
This discussion has been closed.