As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mario Marathon - Donate to Child's Play

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Gabe and Tycho just twittered (tweeted?) about this.

http://www.mariomarathon.com/

Think Desert Bus, but playing every Mario game instead. It doesn't look like they're doing any particular order (the star chart shows them skipping around a bit), but check it out and watch some Mario!

Last year they raised over $11,000. Can you help them beat it this year?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woah, are they already on Super Mario 64? Are they playing these things in order?

Oh, they aren't. Ok.

Frem on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just saw that they (and others joined in) did this with Zelda last year. I hope they do it again because that would be awesome. Even though they didn't raise nearly as much with Zelda as they did with Mario.

When I was watching (as I posted this) they got a call from the local news interviewing them and what they were doing. Pretty cool to see this stuff get more mainstream attention. Hope they can shatter last year's amount!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am watching the Couch Dog cam more than anything. I think it is hilarious that they (the viewers) named the dog Couch Dog.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're trying to 100% SMB2 right now, and are dying a lot on World 5. I'd hate to see how they'd fair on SMW's special levels.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    The game video should be the main video (and have the most audio), while they should be the inset..

FyreWulff on
    edited July 2009
    I dunno, after watching them fail at those Super Mario 64 desert and water levels over and over again, they were definitely more entertaining than the video insert. Watching that one guy start to play Sunshine made me want to donate to get someone else to play.

Plus, if they were the insert, how would we get a good look at Couchdog?

Frem on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It'd be more like desert bus if they played Mario Sunshine for a week nonstop.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some people would argue that playing Mario Sunshine at all is worse than a week of Desert Bus.

Quite honestly, having spent my New Year's 07-08 doing a desert bus run was probably the worst experience of my life. We aimed to get one point, and we got that one point at like 10:30am, everyone completely fucked over from sleep deprivation and mind-numbing bus noises. We ended up looping Through the Fire and the Flames to make things worse, and that was easily the worst part.

Needless to say, it's something everyone needs to do at least once in their life.

I give these guys mad props for doing something that I wish I could do, even if this isn't DBFH, and it's Mario.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited July 2009
    So, wait. What was so bad about Sunshine? I see all this criticism of it, yet it still pops up in most every "must have" list for Gamecube. The guy playing it on the stream was just horrible in general; he was just messing around and not actually going for any of the goals.

Frem on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woa, these guys are serious. Is that one guy dressed up like Luigi?

Anyway, good luck to them. Child's Play is an awesome organization. I hope they raise a ton.
    Frem wrote: »
    So, wait. What was so bad about Sunshine? I see all this criticism of it, yet it still pops up in most every "must have" list for Gamecube. The guy playing it on the stream was just horrible in general; he was just messing around and not actually going for any of the goals.

I don't see what's so bad about it either. I have it. I haven't beaten it yet, but what I've played so far I thought was awesome.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Plus, if they were the insert, how would we get a good look at Couchdog?

Can't get any more lime than that.

They are up to $11,101.64. So awesome. I swear they die way more than they should. Haha.

I really wish I would've done something for Child's Play while I was in college. It was on my to do list and I never did it.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was coming to post this but was beaten by a day. Either way, awesome.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited July 2009
    I like how $12,000 is Mario Galaxy 100%, but Mario Sunshine 100% is $24,000. :)

I never liked Sunshine. It just didn't feel much like a mario game, imo.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mario Sunshine is a great video game but a poor Mario game. It just doesn't have the magic.

Zek on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My pet peeve

When people doing a livestream of a game make the mistake of thinking I want to look at them

The game should take up most of the screen

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This reminds me of Simben's contribution, which was entertaining and successful. If my skimming hasn't failed me, it seems to be in the same vein.

McAllen on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    My pet peeve

When people doing a livestream of a game make the mistake of thinking I want to look at them

I would prefer that too assuming they can do podcast-style commentary. Staring at them through a camera, they're usually just a bunch of chumps sitting around in a daze.

Zek on
    edited July 2009
    I like how Desert bus kinda gives us both. You can see a screen of just them, or a screen of the game. Though Desert Bus is hardly the game you would probably sit and watch.

I want to do this with my friends.. Need to figure out what we would do though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    They need a continuous camera on Couch Dog.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited July 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    My pet peeve

I would prefer that too assuming they can do podcast-style commentary. Staring at them through a camera, they're usually just a bunch of chumps sitting around in a daze.

Yeah, with Simben's there was live commentary from fans and the people running the show would answer or do most of the things they were told to. It kind of worked, but the quality of the light and visual effects were very blurry and I couldn't even see a lot of the images because it was so bad. But it was their first run, I think.

EDIT: Referring the the video quality of the actual game.

McAllen on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They're pansies for not doing Lost Levels at all.

Shady3011 on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What did Simben do?

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Every time I see this stuff I'm tempted to start a ustream account.

Then I realize that

a) nobody would watch me play videogames live

b) I'd have to drag my TV & videogame hardware over to the computer every time I wanted to do this.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited July 2009
    $12,225 raised so far. Spread the word if you have Twitter. (#mariomarathon)

Watching this made me turn on my Wii (even if only for a brief 5 minutes). I might replay Galaxy soon.

And yea, if I knew exactly what I needed to stream stuff, I would do it all the time. I have the Dazzle, but it isn't happy about HD gaming (plus I don't know how to stream video to Ustream). I tried before and failed.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • DeadLiarDeadLiar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mario_marathon.jpg

I do say that this is by far the best part of this.

I will say though, to be honest, most of this is boring.
    It is, however, hard to make Mario games interesting.

DeadLiar on
    edited July 2009
    I don't find it THAT boring. Plus, when it goes slow, there is always Couch Dog and the guys reading the Twitter/Chat.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They aren't particular good Mario players. Then again, sleep deprivation does take a toll on one's skills.

Shady3011 on
    edited July 2009
    No. They just aren't that good. Haha.

edit: Them sucking at these games and not knowing the Pokemon theme song is angering me. Casual gamers. Pfft.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't think them not knowing the pokemon theme song is a negative point.

Dude is straight up terrible at SMW though.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My pet peeve

I usually agree, but at least this time I get to see a guy dressed like Luigi.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to come in and kick the ass out of all these games. They should do something interesting like show all the crazy hidden shit. Demonstrate how to get the coin ships and N cards and white mushroom houses and crap.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd like to come in and kick the ass out of all these games. They should do something interesting like show all the crazy hidden shit. Demonstrate how to get the coin ships and N cards and white mushroom houses and crap.

They've raised over 15,000 dollars as normal guys.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    :sigh:
    I hate bad Mario players (not as people, kudos for raising cash).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, it is kind of awful to watch.

Xtarath on
    edited July 2009
    Athenor wrote: »

They've raised over 15,000 dollars as normal guys.

That doesn't make it not boring and painful to watch.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited July 2009
    While they are terrible at times (saw one Mario 64 moment where he was probably 10 steps from the star, went to get a coin box and fell down maybe 15 levels that he just spent probably 30 minutes climbing), it's almost better that way. It's more of a passive thing to come in and out of to watch and you don't have to sit and stare at it. Plus it's almost hilarious how bad they can be at it. You would think after playing Mario for so many days they would be pretty good at it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    While they are terrible at times (saw one Mario 64 moment where he was probably 10 steps from the star, went to get a coin box and fell down maybe 15 levels that he just spent probably 30 minutes climbing), it's almost better that way. It's more of a passive thing to come in and out of to watch and you don't have to sit and stare at it. Plus it's almost hilarious how bad they can be at it. You would think after playing Mario for so many days they would be pretty good at it.

I bet if it were first person and dual wielding they'd be a lot better at it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They finally got all 120 Stars in Mario 64, after taking all of two hours getting the last one. There's no way in hell they're completing Sunshine.:(

They've raised $16,300 though!

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thank God! They finally finished Super Mario 64. D:

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
    edited July 2009
    Elaro wrote: »
    What did Simben do?

Simben and his French Friends got together and did a marathon of Resident Evil. It was a 24 hour marathon and granted they didn't get to complete some of my favorites (Just RE:CV, really), they raised a nice sum of money for their first attempt, all going to Child's Play I think.

EDIT: After seeing some footage it was exactly like what these guys did, except video quality was worse. I really wish I didn't miss all the 2D marios :(. But holy cow 17,000 is a lot of weed or drugs or presents for underprivileged children

EDIT: And oh my god these guys are total Mario fhegs!

McAllen on