As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iTunes on a Flash Drive

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have been changing computers a lot lately which tends is really destroy my iPods collection. So I've decided I would like to put all my songs and/or iTunes on a flash. So my questions are as follows.

1)Can it be done?
2)If it can how big a memory will I need(for 500-600 songs)?
3)Will I even be able to use it with my Ipod?

Thanks

Quire.jpg
nightmarenny on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just copy the iTunes/music folder to your flash drive and then copy it to the new computer in the proper place. "Add Folder" from iTunes. Good to go.

If you need to know the size, why don't you just find out how big your iTunes Music folder is? Right-Click, Properties on the folder.

Esh on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Just copy the iTunes/music folder to your flash drive and then copy it to the new computer in the proper place. "Add Folder" from iTunes. Good to go.

If you need to know the size, why don't you just find out how big your iTunes Music folder is? Right-Click, Properties on the folder.

I don't have a folder right now as I lost it with my old computer... still I think I can get it out of there, thanks.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't have a folder right now as I lost it with my old computer... still I think I can get it out of there, thanks.

Your iPod should tell you how much space the music on it takes up.

Esh on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Your iPod should tell you how much space the music on it takes up.

If worse comes to worse, use your ipod as the flash drive.

I want to say that there is an option to turn your ipod into essentially a flash drive. You can then, on another computer, go into the ipod by using "my computer" and copy out the files to that computer. Then, open itunes, select that file to be used by itunes, and select "Keep Itunes folder organized" under advanced options. You'll have to do that last step if you want your songs to be renamed to their proper name.

If someone else can verify these steps, that would be awesome. I remember doing this a long time ago, but my google-fu isn't finding the instructions I followed.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get an 8 gig flash drive, these go for as cheap as 20 bucks these days, (shop around), this will do ya for your entire music collection and then some.

Just please, for the love of god, don't use a flash drive as the only storage for an important collection of anything. it's all too easy to pull out a flash while it's writing and corrupt the whole drive.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited July 2009
    Well, I already made the thread so I'd like to ask a relating question. Is there any way to recover songs I purchased from itunes but have no other copy of?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited July 2009
    It was my understanding that your itunes account, on an "authorized computer", allows re-downloads without repurchase

Captain Vash on
    edited July 2009
    I've authorized the computer does anyone know the next step?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Hmm.
    Turns out I was wrong, however it looks like apple is fairly understanding of this kind of thing.

Read this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/58109/2007/05/restoringmusic.html

follow his advice.

Captain Vash on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I already made the thread so I'd like to ask a relating question. Is there any way to recover songs I purchased from itunes but have no other copy of?

If these are already on your iPod, you can copy-and-paste the hidden files from from there to your hard drive. Then import that into iTunes.

I've had to do this 2 or 3 times. Unfortunately, all the files and folders are named "XDSF" or something, so you can't pick and choose what you're copying. And it's a little hit and miss. I've lost a few songs, and some tags don't revert back to their proper title or artist. But that's a lot easier to deal with than losing 4000 songs.

Kiwi on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Just put everything on your iPod and download SharePod

It'll copy whatever you want from your iPod to your hard drive

Me Too! on