As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game songs (on guitar!)

DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks. I recently asked for advice here on my first electric guitar, and long story short it was a great success! In between the lessons I'm taking I've been trying to learn various songs from games, from classics to my favorites.

But I was curious what big songs I might not be thinking of, or what you guys think would be fun to learn. They can be popular or obscure, it's all good to me.

Here's what I can do already
- Super Mario Bros theme
- various Legend of Zelda (theme, song of time/healing/storms, saria's song)
- Snakeman's Stage (Megaman 3)
- Flashman's Stage (Megaman 2)
- Cranky's Cabin (Donkey Kong Country)
- Green Hill Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog)

And here's what I'm working on, or want to try soon
- King Dedede's boss theme (Kirby)
- Vampire Killer (Castlevania)
- Kraid's Lair (Metroid)
- Forest Maze (Super Mario RPG)

Also, a few of my friends (a bass player, keyboard player, and drummer) want to get together and try some of these songs as a group. So if there's something you think might sound awesome with those instruments together then all the better. Now H/A, lay unto me your musical knowledge!

7yh4xczljsym.png
Daebunz on

• Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woah I'm playing a bit of game songs on my guitar too. Can you possibly send me some tabs?

I'm working on 'Stones' from Ultima 7, and The Legend of Zelda 2 Theme right now.

Funguy McAids on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This interpretation of shadow of the colossus is probably the best guitar based video game thing I know of.

That and cosmo canyon (FFVII) are the ones that me and my friends enjoy playing together.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further from FFVII (I'm not sure which one is the proper translation of the title)
    Otherworld from FFX
    Mute City theme (Powerglove did an awesome cover of this)
    Hell March from Red Alert 2

Actually you pretty much can't go wrong with any Final Fantasy boss/battle theme, and Red Alert 2 is chock full of awesome guitar-driven tracks

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    Still More Fighting/Those Who Fight Further from FFVII (I'm not sure which one is the proper translation of the title)
    Otherworld from FFX
    Mute City theme (Powerglove did an awesome cover of this)
    Hell March from Red Alert 2

Actually you pretty much can't go wrong with any Final Fantasy boss/battle theme, and Red Alert 2 is chock full of awesome guitar-driven tracks

Wow, how could I forget Mute City and FF battle music? I'll definatley check those out

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd suggest:

Bloodlines (Dracula X: Rondo of Blood)
    Contra (everything from the original)

But the one game I never hear any game tribute bands covering is the River City Ransom music. I don't think it needs to be reworked much if at all.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here are some remixes of video game music that I love listening to. I've tried to find an example on youtube. Most of the songs I ever got were from dwelling of duels, a competition that was great...but have not seen if they have had any since.

F-Zero - Big Blue
    sorry that this was only version I found:
    Ailsean's Flying Hachi-Roku
    also found which is not bad:
    this remix

Punch Out

Final Fantasy 6 - Boss theme
    please note I linked this version simply because I liked the intro song as well. The actual remix starts about 36 seconds in:
    housethegrate's Seized of Fury,

Thunder Force III

I can look for more if you like any of the ones I posted.

Tzyr on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    pretty much anything from the castlevania series

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These are all great ideas, guys. I'll have to start making a to do list for all the songs I want to try!

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png