As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to share space with Athiest pals?

2»

• Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would just look at them straight faced and say "You guys realize that you are saying the exact same things as people trying to convert others to X religion? All you guys are doing is using different language." If that doesn't stop and make them think for a second then, well.. they're just navel gazing with their newfound unfaith.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    robotbebop wrote: »
    I would just look at them straight faced and say "You guys realize that you are saying the exact same things as people trying to convert others to X religion? All you guys are doing is using different language." If that doesn't stop and make them think for a second then, well.. they're just navel gazing with their newfound unfaith.

That's not true.

Converting people to a religion requires fairy-tales, "belief", and superstition.

Converting to atheism or agnosticism requires logic, reason, and serious rational.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    there's always a possibility that there's something more beyond what science might understand

you realize that science is the study of reality and not some atheist belief structure, right?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's not true.

Converting people to a religion requires fairy-tales, "belief", and superstition.

Converting to atheism or agnosticism requires logic, reason, and serious rational.

No, no.. that's you labeling both sides, labels based on your own perspective on things. What the OP's friends are saying is this: I don't like what you believe, and that you do not believe the same thing as me, so I find you stupid and ignorant.

-- EDIT: I actually thought of a much better statement: You don't believe the same thing as me, and since I am utterly convinced that what I believe is true then you must be completely wrong. There, now it is no longer about converting. It's one person flat-out calling the other wrong.

That is hardly logical, reasonable or rational.

The debate of religion vs non-religion is another subject.

I think you should watch that video somebody posted a few posts up.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's not true.

No, no.. that's you labeling both sides, labels based on your own perspective on things. What the OP's friends are saying is this: I don't like what you believe, and that you do not believe the same thing as me, so I find you stupid and ignorant.

-- EDIT: I actually thought of a much better statement: You don't believe the same thing as me, and since I am utterly convinced that what I believe is true then you must be completely wrong. There, now it is no longer about converting. It's one person flat-out calling the other wrong.

That is hardly logical, reasonable or rational.

The debate of religion vs non-religion is another subject.

I think you should watch that video somebody posted a few posts up.

What I said is true though. Religion involves those 3 factors, while atheism/agnosticism involve their 3.

Sure there's more but those ones present a good view of the level of intelligence behind either.

To OP: What you should do is take the opportunity of living with these people to seriously discuss matters. However, don't get caught in circular arguments or biased opinions. Use evidence, reason, and serious thought and you can either refine your religious views or theirs.

Maybe God put you in this position so you can help these poor souls find salvation through your insight.
    or
    Maybe they can show you the futility of your beliefs.
    or
    Maybe it will just be fun and interesting.
    or
    Maybe you can just not talk about the subject and keep your thoughts to yourself.

Now personally I consider myself agnostic with a hopeful ideal of a form of "God". What this means is that I think there can be a form of life beyond this, due to many possible factors, but it is not the God of the Bible. That I consider to be outright lunacy for many reasons I won't get into.

My beliefs have changed over time and experience and I expect it to change more as I go on. I enjoy talking to people of differing beliefs because it gives ideas you won't otherwise obtain on your own.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    So blatant antagonism and debate aside, of all the actual advice in this thread so far, I still throw my support to just telling them outright either that you don't want to discuss it, or that you do want to discuss it when they have grown past the point where every new idea they come across means that they need to diminish or belittle your viewpoints, ideas, or beliefs.

Just be straightforward about it. I don't think they're necessarily bad friends, but if they don't really understand how uncomfortable they're making you then they don't know what to fix about their behavior so as to stay respectful, at least where more personal topics are concerned. I really doubt they're going to turn around and say to you "We've decided we don't want to be around people who are so stupid as to believe in God. Sucka."

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I prefer a nice passive aggressive rolling of the eyes with a "This again!", and then walking off. Just because they're your friends doesn't mean you need to be part of all their conversations.

They'll get the message eventually :P

Sunday_Assassin on