As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Turning old XP machine into a wireless music server?

RecklessReckless Registered User regular
Heyo all,

I've got an old XP machine I built about 5 years back sitting and collecting dust in my old room at my parent's place. They've got no need for it and want it out of the house. Instead of throwing it away, I got the idea to turn it into a sort of a wireless music server for parties at my apartment.

I'd like to throw a wireless card in there, and then have my roommates share their iTunes libraries over the network. I'd set up some decent speakers and the like. On top of that, I'd like to control the whole setup with the Remote app for iPod Touch. In fact, once I get the whole setup running nicely, I'd ditch the monitor and just control iTunes with Remote.

Is this doable? Is there anything I'm missing?

Reckless on

• Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to staple in a question of my own about networked music systems.

when moving into my new house I declined the distributed audio system knowing that ultimately I'd do this myself through the use of a series of media center extenders, but I was wondering if there was a way to distribute the same audio accross several computers, or if the audio would have to be started on each one... Like, synced network audio or something... As silly as that sounds...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I use a machine for this purpose. Just tell Windows to start iTunes at startup and use Remote Desktop (or TightVNC with DFMirage if you use Home) to remotely control the computer (no monitor needed!). I see no reason why couldn't use your iPod Touch to control iTunes directly. In fact you could use a VNC client on the iPod Touch to control the desktop of the computer if needed.

darkphoenix22 on
  • alienalien Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    I am also researching how to set up wireless music network at home - easy and on the cheap. Found sound blaster for itunes. Anyone has experience with this? It looks good but I did not find any reviews or anything like that:
    get-7-2009-upload2world_com_wms.PNG

alien on