As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

looking for a new WIRED keyboard

• ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    God, I hate wavey keyboards.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So did I. My wrists hurt, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ditto. I just picked up one of the Microsoft 4000's to try and manage my wrist pains. It's actually not as bad to get used to as I thought it was going to be.

Kris on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought an Eclipse I. I love the backlight, the keys feel great. I have two problems, though.

1. The paint is scraping off the S key. I use WASD for games, and S is barely legible anymore. All other keys are fine. The only thing I can think of is my fingernail might be scraping the paint. Its kind of frustrating, because I have only used the keyboard for a little over 6 months.

2. I recently discovered that you can't press W+E then D. D won't be recognized until you release W. I discovered this playing Arma 2, while driving a vehicle. W is to go, E is to go faster, D is to turn right. In a similar scenario, I found my A (left) and D (right) keys did not offset each other. A would override D, but I wasn't paying attentiont to what other keys were in use. That is my biggest gripe with this "gaming keyboard".

I'm not sure if these issues affect the Eclipse II or III.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    When I used keyboards, I really, really, really loved my Saitek Eclipse. I imagine that the current revision of that is equally rad.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited July 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    When I used keyboards, I really, really, really loved my Saitek Eclipse. I imagine that the current revision of that is equally rad.

What do you use in place of a keyboard? o_O

Kris on
    edited July 2009
    A laptop, with a keyboard built in.

Pheezer on
    edited July 2009
    Ooooh, ok. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind. :P

Kris on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    Pheezer wrote: »

What do you use in place of a keyboard? o_O

What, you're not using a neural mindlink yet? Get with the times!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I loved my first gen g-15, but this g-19 is by far, hands down, the best keyboard I've ever used. Especialy with the 5 key ghosting. No more 3 key input max, which always sucked while gaming.
    http://webpages.charter.net/severen/IMG_2179.JPG

kralizecc on
    In warframe on PC my name is severenn
    edited July 2009
    Do you game with that trackball? D:

Kris on
    edited July 2009
    Yes, best pointing device in the world. The accuracy of what is essentialy finger painting is amazing, so much better than a mouse. Or a thumb ball for that matter.

kralizecc on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    krasdhjkbdshjkw no one is not denying that that is not a fine keyboard and I am sure many people would like that keyboard, I would for one.

Unfortunately when I took a shit today I did not spend 10 minutes on the toilet working out fat stacks of cash.

(I was actually playing bejewelled on my iPhone and was going pretty well actually)

Blake T on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    krasdhjkbdshjkw no one is not denying that that is not a fine keyboard and I am sure many people would like that keyboard, I would for one.

Unfortunately when I took a shit today I did not spend 10 minutes on the toilet working out fat stacks of cash.

(I was actually playing bejewelled on my iPhone and was going pretty well actually)

Maaaan. I was just thinking Hey those guys on the PA forum like to exaggerate...

Then I go check out the actual price. 200? For a modestly upgraded fucking gaming keyboard? I almost threw up in my mouth.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like the looks of this one. Thin, backlighting, not too much clutter. The normal price at Newegg is pretty high, but Google Shopping usually has open box or refurbs for ~$40. I might pick one up for my PC build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043

Michael H on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Im happy with my G15 at the moment, replaced my knackered old HP keyboard. The LCD is fun to play with, i use LCD Miscellany on it to keep a good look on my CPU/RAM usage and whatever. I rarely use the G-keys but im always looking out for ways i can use them.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure what your idea of "modestly upgraded" is exactly, but in my eyes that keyboard is leaps and bounds above the 15. Then again, I actualy know a bit about it. Also, $200 isn't my idea of a huge investment =\

kralizecc on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    An investment gains value over time, the keyboard does not.

Or an investment helps you earn more money.

Being able to watch youtube videos in an awkward way does not scream to me money making investment opportunity.

Everyone that has used it except for you has said the same thing.

It is nice but totally not worth the money.

Blake T on
    edited July 2009
    Any investment can gain or lose value over time, just being an investment doesn't mean it gains value. I don't really consider how much the board costs to be a big deal. I also know a number of people who both own and enjoy it, I'm not sure there's any validity at all in your comment.
    Maybe you mean that you've read a number of reviews saying that it costs more than they would pay?

kralizecc on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Technically, an investment is "money that is invested with an expectation of profit".

Technically, an "asset" would be "Any item of value that an individual or a corporation owns."

Realistically, it's a *%^#& keyboard. Just a really, really expensive keyboard.

Michael H on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    IANAEconomist, but I would assume that a tool like a keyboard could be considered an investment if its purchase and subsequent use led to a direct increase in productivity/profit. For example, if you were looking into buying a keyboard that let you type twice as fast as your old one, and you work as a data inputter getting paid by how much work you complete, that is an investment that would likely have a very good rate of return.

That being said, I'd be hard-pressed to find solid proof that a really expensive keyboard will make you that much more productive than an acceptably-priced keyboard so as to justify it as an investment.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like the IBM Model M's (yes plural, I have two) I use. I have one at work and one at home. The one at home doesn't get a whole lot of use, because it's PS2 and my PC doesn't have PS2 connections. Can anyone suggest a USB > PS2 converter?

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Go to a computer store, find one for $5 or whatever. I've got one or two floating around, had 'em for years.

I think maybe they even still come with the cheapo (but perfectly functional) keyboards you can get at Fred Meyer or Walmart or whatever.

The downside to them, or mine at least, is that I don't think they're recognized at first, when the system's booting up. I can't get into the Bios on my old packard bell. :(

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeks wrote: »
    Go to a computer store, find one for $5 or whatever. I've got one or two floating around, had 'em for years.

I think maybe they even still come with the cheapo (but perfectly functional) keyboards you can get at Fred Meyer or Walmart or whatever.

The downside to them, or mine at least, is that I don't think they're recognized at first, when the system's booting up. I can't get into the Bios on my old packard bell. :(
    Are they USB? Older motherboards don't always recognize USB peripherals on startup.

MarvellousM on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yup. Through a USB > PS2 adapter.

Sucks, I really wanted to install some floppy disk linux on that bad boy, haha.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm about to grab a MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, because I can't keep my mind off it. I really want one, but I can't find how many keys I can press simultaneously on it. Is it just the standard 3? Or have they improved that tech to 5 or more? I know some gaming keyboards have unlimited, but I don't really NEED that, I want this more for the form factor.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm about to grab a MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, because I can't keep my mind off it. I really want one, but I can't find how many keys I can press simultaneously on it. Is it just the standard 3? Or have they improved that tech to 5 or more? I know some gaming keyboards have unlimited, but I don't really NEED that, I want this more for the form factor.

I bought one at the beginning of this week, and am already noticing less horrible pains in my wrists after a night of coding. So ++ to the design of the thing.

As for simultaneous button presses, I don't know the exact number, but I have been playing TF2 all week without noticing any problems of not-recognizing key presses.

Kris on
    edited July 2009
    I've seen that they've bumped that number to 15 simultaneous keys on some newer keyboards..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    I've seen that they've bumped that number to 15 simultaneous keys on some newer keyboards..

USB keyboards can only support six simultaneous keys (plus modifier keys). Some like the Das Keyboard claim N-key rollover, but that supposedly works wonky and is basically a hack.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited July 2009
    Oh, yeah. I think it was on the Das Keyboard site I saw that. Never mind me then.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The SteelSeries 7G claims to support 104 simultaneous keys by using PS/2 buffering. My keyboard of choice, as it has none of the unneeded features all other "gaming" keyboards seems to think are required. Way too expensive for what it is though.

Zell on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    nek4000mini.jpg

Obtain a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It really helps out a lot with RSI, and after you spend a while adjusting and getting back to your old typing speed, you'll start preferring it to flat keyboards. Jeff Atwood approves of it.

(Between this keyboard and my Trackman mouse, my roommate is the only person around who can even consider using my computer. :wink:)

been using 4000's for years and refuse to use anything else for work and play.

Ethea on
    edited July 2009
    I ordered my 4000 yesterday. UPS says it will arrive Wednesday. I can't wait! I hope it's sooner than Wednesday. Though I'm in training class all week, so I won't be using it extensively anyway. Did I mention I can't wait for it to get here? I need to hack the software a bit though, so I can change the zoom function to scrolling.

This will be my new work setup:
    nek4000mini.jpgintellitrackb1.jpg

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited July 2009
    kralizecc wrote: »
    I loved my first gen g-15, but this g-19 is by far, hands down, the best keyboard I've ever used. Especialy with the 5 key ghosting. No more 3 key input max, which always sucked while gaming.
    http://webpages.charter.net/severen/IMG_2179.JPG

Thank you for linking to a 10 MP camera's shot at full res. I really needed to be able to see your keyboard at actual size.

Pheezer on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have to throw in another recommendation for Apple's keyboards.

It's pretty silly how the loudest parts of my computer weren't even in the case; the mouse and keyboard are the loudest components by one hell of a margin, and for no good reason. I would imagine the vast majority of us don't need all that clickety clack to know that we have hit a key, nor do we need feedback to know that we have clicked a mouse button.

Mice can be silenced at home very easily, using little more than steady hands and a sheet of paper. This has the bonus effect of making the buttons "lighter" - that is, it takes much less pressure to click them, which has been a noticable boon not only in shooters but in general use. Keyboards, however, can't be silenced at home. At least, not to my knowledge.

And that's why I can't go back to big clunky monster fuck-off keyboards after trying Apple's offering. The noise difference is staggering, and key presses are much lighter too. After just a day I had got used to the lighter keys and the compact layout.

Mumblyfish on
    edited July 2009
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Mice can be silenced at home very easily, using little more than steady hands and a sheet of paper. This has the bonus effect of making the buttons "lighter" - that is, it takes much less pressure to click them, which has been a noticable boon not only in shooters but in general use. Keyboards, however, can't be silenced at home. At least, not to my knowledge.

Easier to press? Sign me up. Could you link or something?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Visti is looking for help to fix his wrists everywhere.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ShadowrunnerShadowrunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For anyone who's a fan of split keyboards, this one is really nice. It has a ball and socket joint between the two halves that's adjustable, so you can find the perfect height and angle to make your wrists happy. No media keys, but it's hands-down the most comfortable keyboard I've ever owned.

Shadowrunner on
    edited July 2009
    It's split, but it has no curve either. Plus it's about $100 more than what I just paid for the MS Natural 4000. I can see it though if you really want to get a good angle.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    It's split, but it has no curve either. Plus it's about $100 more than what I just paid for the MS Natural 4000. I can see it though if you really want to get a good angle.

If you want curved and split check out the Kinesis Advantage keyboards.
    You'll shit yourself when you see the price tag.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru