As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Next Graphic Violence Activity: Besides the Contest!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Hello! This poll is to decide the next Graphic Violence forum event. There's more on that in this thread.

YOUR OPTIONS

1) Create-a-hero Contest - A series of contests where a theme for a hero or villain is given, and posters design their own hero/villain. What happens next is still up for debate, but it could be anything from just a series of minor contests to the gradual build up of a stable of heroes for forumers to design stories for.

2) Comics themed Phalla/Mafia game - A forum based game based on the Mafia party game. These would all be comics themed. For information on how these games are run on these forums, check out this thread.

3) Create a shared universe - A collaborative process where forumers work together to build a comic book universe and tell stories within it.

4) Comics Mad Libs project - A game where comics creators, characters and situations are mixed together and interpreted by forumers.

5) Guess That Hero/Villain - Sort of like 20 Questions, with the answer being a superhero or supervillain.

6) Other - Any ideas you don't see? Don't like the options given? Post them here.

The poll will be open until Monday, at which time we'll look at the results and see what we're going to do. We may do more than one of these options, it depends on how the poll works out.

Okay, go ahead and discuss!

DJ Eebs on

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes !

Shared Universe is neck and neck with Create Hero/Villian

can we vote more that once? I wanna vote for Guess that Hero/Villian

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    vote once and only once!

DJ Eebs on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The idea of us having a 'GV Forum Universe' is awesome. But it seems like we should do the create a character thing first, to build the stable.

Mr Pink on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My feeling is that the Phalla thing, and the Create a Hero/Villain thing, are the best choices.

The shared universe idea is a bit too ambitious to start with and, as others have mentioned, can best grow organically from the creation of single characters. The mad libs/20 questions options seem fun, but I think that they could be done at any time, with little coordination.

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Option 1 with Option 3 to follow after it has been proven a success

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    also the create a hero/villain idea includes pictures, which will bring in more people to browse and comment even if not participating than just fanfiction would.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I voted for the first one, but can we do mad libs anyway?

Geebs is pretty <Adjective>

Bucketman on
    edited July 2009
    "rad"

I choose "rad"

DJ Eebs on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm going for Shared Universe as well. It follows we'd have to create a bunch of characters anyway, may as well have someplace for them all to go once they're done!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm very disappointed with the results so far. I would have thought stories about heroes would be more fun than profile pages.

So, one vote for the shared universe.

And damn the naysayers, the unbelievers, those who would not venture for fear of failure. The cowards. They might be content to let life slip by, but I choose to grab it by the throat and shake it for all it's worth. And if we fail, it would be a grand failure indeed, one spoken of for many years to come. We can tell our grandchildren, I was there, I was part of something magnificent.

For more information on the shared universe concept, I refer you to the following posts. And remember, every item mentioned in those posts is negotiable. The ideas can be scaled back.

Personally, I believe we can succeed. I think we can create a living, thriving universe in which to populate our wildest ideas. The votes might be stacked against us at the moment, but a surprise comeback is not impossible, or even unlikely. We are still young. This is the time to dream big.

TeaSpoon on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love the Mad Libs idea, but from the point of view of trying to generate more interest and buzz in the forum I'm going to pick Phalla (surprise surprise).

A Shared Universe is, I think, perhaps better thought of as a second stage of the create a hero / villain concept; walk before you run and all that.

Wildcat on
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I love the Mid Libs idea, but from the point of view of trying to generate more interest and buzz in the forum I'm going to pick Phalla (surprise surprise).

A Shared Universe is, I think, perhaps better thought of as a second stage of the create a hero / villain concept; walk before you run and all that.

I have to agree with this post, but i voted for Shared Universe knowing that it will not be top pick, maybe second at most.

I feel strongly for this idea and hope that it becomes a natural second stage of the Create Hero/Villain idea.

Crossing fingers!

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Definitely! I think that whatever options are selected, Geebs will probably review their success or lack thereof a few months down the line. That is the point I would think that the shared universe idea could be brought in if the create-a-hero concept has taken off.

Wildcat on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Create-A-Superhero is so going to lead to a superhero tournament anyway. My guy can beat up your guy.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Create-A-Superhero is so going to lead to a superhero tournament anyway. My guy can beat up your guy.

Nuh-uh. My guy's, um... spydur-sense lets him dodge anything. Yeah.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn my sheeple DNA. I voted for the popular choice. I just hope the kids from the "God mash up" thread in the Art forum swing by for this. I want to vote for a Raptor Jesus/Odin mash up superhero!

For those who might be curious what I'm blabbering about:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=93106

Be prepared for awesome well in advance of clicking the above link.

Caveman Paws on
    edited July 2009
    I'm still a little disappointed. I kind of wanted the phalla to win.

Faynor on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

You might be able to kindly ask Geebs to do your own phalla.

I'm not overly a fan of them, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. But designing your own hero/villain has so much potential for awesomeness.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

You might be able to kindly ask Geebs to do your own phalla.

I'm not overly a fan of them, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. But designing your own hero/villain has so much potential for awesomeness.

Oh ho ho, I've never done one, so I don't think I qualify to run the game. The idea kind of interested me, and doing it in a comic setting sounding fun was all. C'est la vie!

My HARBINGER OF DOOM'S REQUIEM will have to suffice.

Faynor on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm... that title is good... but how about...

HARBINGER OF DOOM'S REQUIEM: ENDSONG
    REQUIEM HARDER

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited July 2009
    IT'S LIKE WE'RE PRINTING MONEY

Faynor on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I voted for the GV Comics Universe because Teaspoon called me a coward.

Nobody calls me a coward, Teaspoon. Nobody!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys we can still do Madlibs, its not like their hard

<Noun>-Man was in the <Place> fighting <Adjective>-<Animal Name> who threatened to steal the city's vast stores of <Noun>

Bucketman on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Guys we can still do Madlibs, its not like their hard

Penis-Man was in the penis fighting Penisy-Penis who threatened to steal the city's vast stores of penis.

Am I doing it right?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Apparently noone else wants to play hero/villain trivia :( (ok, so 4 others want to)

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited July 2009
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I voted for the first one, but can we do mad libs anyway?

Geebs is pretty <Adjective>

Dongfull.

Mr Pink on
    edited July 2009
    Penisman wrote: »
    Guys we can still do Penislibs, its not like they're hard (OH WAIT THEY ARE HAHA GET IT!)

Penis-Man was in the penis fighting Penisy-Penis who threatened to steal the city's vast stores of penis.

Am I doing it right?

You missed a few.

Faynor on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Apparently noone else wants to play hero/villain trivia :( (ok, so 4 others want to)

Write up an OP and send it in a PM to Geebs. Worst he could do is say no.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited July 2009
    I think this poll closes in a couple hours, so if you haven't voted, now's the time to let your voice be heard.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    It is critical that you pay attention at this time.

Vote for the Shared Comic Book Universe

TeaSpoon on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    the Create a Hero/Villain ---> Shared Universe sounds like the best course of action

Diablo Fett on
    edited July 2009
    Poll's closed. I guess we can talk about what the results mean in the morning. Or afternoon. Let's go with afternoon.

DJ Eebs on
    edited July 2009
    So it looks like the Create A Hero Contests won pretty convincingly. Those will definitely be the first things we do. Now would be a good time for people to brainstorm possible themes, and possible rules for the contests.

Second and third place were closer. I think we can possibly do all of the top three, but priority is going to the create a hero contests. Phallas will be, at most, a monthly thing. Nothing more frequent than that, hopefully. As far as the Create a Shared Comic Book Universe goes, we can, hopefully, begin to build a story with the characters we end up creating in the Create a Hero contests. I know that's not exactly what a lot of you were hoping for, but I think we're going to start small and build up.

DJ Eebs on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would say have a new challenge once every two weeks. Have submissions open for a week, voting for four or five days, and then the remaining days to determine the theme of the next challenge.

Have a general theme for each contest chosen by the winner of the previous challenge.

Entries would be a paragraph or so biography and a drawing of the character, nothing fancy expected. Just something to clearly show the visual design of the character.

Guidelines would probably need to be just precise enough to ensure that people are actually competing against each other. If you really want to take it in the "create a universe" direction, the winner of each challenge would be considered "GV canon."

I imagine challenges such as:
    "sole survivor of race of mole-people"
    "tech-based non-powered billionaire"
    "hero personification of christ"
    "result of super-soldier program funded by columbian drug lords"
    etc.

voting would then be based on how entertaining of a character the contestant creates in his mini-bio paragraph and the strength of the visual design.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here are some ideas for theme:
    (in no particular order)

-- Gold/Silver Age style Hero/Villain
    -- Anti-Hero
    -- Silly Hero/Villain
    -- "A List" Heroes/Villains i.e. very powerful, JLA or Avengers caliber heroes
    -- "B List" Heroes/Villains i.e. less powerful but still interesting characters such as Daredevil, Booster Gold, etc
    -- Tech / Science / Alien / Magic / Mutation / Accident or other origin themed Heroes/Villains
    -- Genre themed Heroes/Villains i.e. traditional super-hero, western, sci-fi, noir, gangster, urban, robot etc

Lucascraft on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We definitely need to put in a power cap to prevent a Thor or Sentry or Hulk from being created. Some themes:

Ridiculous Silver Age origin
    Exploitation Film character
    Worst Super Power Ever
    Least Likely Horror Monster to Become a Superhero
    I'd be A Mary Sue If Not for One My Crippling Weakness
    Aliens Anal Probed Me and All I Got Were These Super Powers

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited July 2009
    I think 'Worst Super Power Ever' would be hilarious.

Mr Pink on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    We definitely need to put in a power cap to prevent a Thor or Sentry or Hulk from being created. Some themes:

Ridiculous Silver Age origin
    Exploitation Film character
    Worst Super Power Ever
    Least Likely Horror Monster to Become a Superhero
    I'd be A Mary Sue If Not for One My Crippling Weakness
    Aliens Anal Probed Me and All I Got Were These Super Powers

Brilliant.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Since we are going on the Create-a-Hero avenue followed by a create a universe using said heroes possibly perhaps one of the themes should be a create-a-villian as well?

Also, does anyone know if there's folks on the forum that could draw something if our own drawing skills suck the proverbial bisuit?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Here are some ideas for theme:
    (in no particular order)

-- Gold/Silver Age style Hero/Villain
    -- Anti-Hero
    -- Silly Hero/Villain
    -- "A List" Heroes/Villains i.e. very powerful, JLA or Avengers caliber heroes
    -- "B List" Heroes/Villains i.e. less powerful but still interesting characters such as Daredevil, Booster Gold, etc
    -- Tech / Science / Alien / Magic / Mutation / Accident or other origin themed Heroes/Villains
    -- Genre themed Heroes/Villains i.e. traditional super-hero, western, sci-fi, noir, gangster, urban, robot etc

I like this much better than "sole survivor of race of mole-people"-type challenges. Otherwise, you might as well specify what gender, favorite color, and social security number the hero must have.

TeaSpoon on