As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kingdom Hearts Art

Pleasance 13Pleasance 13 Registered User
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey, I'm new here, I'm working on making a Kingdom Hearts game with Turing and figured I'd show you the Art I'm working on for it. I don't usually color and I don't use a tablet, just a mouse, so if anyone has any pointers for me, I'd appreciate the feedback! :)

Into_Oblivion_Art___Color_WIP_by_DJ1NNsGR1MO1R3.jpg

Pleasance 13 on

Posts

  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User
    edited July 2009
    kingdom farts

    Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Pleasance 13Pleasance 13 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I know, theoretically they're terrrible games. But I find they have a certain charm..

    Pleasance 13 on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    your signature ... is way, WAY too big, dude. In this forum it can only be 80 x 500

    Your art looks pretty good, you should post it WITHIN the thread though. Stick the link into IMG tags.

    mully on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    that sig is obnoxiously huge and annoying

    your art is okay, but there is no sense of depth or depth cues anywhere, and you're running into nasty tangents. The overall silouette of the whole thing is ambiguous and doesn't really let anything read at all.

    Neat idea, nice linework, but I'd go back to the drawing board in terms of composition.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Pleasance 13Pleasance 13 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I destroyed my Sig, sorry bout that guys.
    your art is okay, but there is no sense of depth or depth cues anywhere, and you're running into nasty tangents. The overall silhouette of the whole thing is ambiguous and doesn't really let anything read at all.

    It's a work in progress, the coloring isn't complete. I will be shading everything nicely, giving it more depth and making parts stand out that seem to blend terribly into each other.

    There are some awkward points (like mickey's key and Maleficent's horns) but the way I wanted to portray this made that unavoidable. My composition and placement is just meant to resemble past works from Tetsuya Nomura for the Kingdom Hearts Series.

    Thanks for the advice.

    Pleasance 13 on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You might want to fix up that anatomy, too. Riku's head is a little squat and wide at the top. His arms and hands are way off. You need to really understand the way biceps, triceps, forearms, and foreshortening work. The hands are bigger than they would be otherwise, yes, but the forearms don't lead up to it. It's like his arms are really short and held downwards, then his hands pop. And they're also wrong anatomically themselves. The thumbs most notably. Try looking at your arms and hands in that position with a mirror. And if you don't have muscles for the arms, even a google search for arms muscles will help with the structure if you study it.

    Same kind of deal with Sora's hand, which looks unnatural, and Kairi's(sp?) arm (which looks like it's bending outwards at the elbow).

    As a note, Riku's pectorals and neck are also off, but it's not as apparent as the arms (though may become a problem once you fix the arms, since it's be about all that's left to fix).

    Rankandphile's right compositionally, though I can kind of see where you're getting it from. Still, it's almost too... balanced. Too compact within a large space. Boring.

    Also, be careful, if you're planning on using color and contrast to make things stand out. Things SHOULD stand out before you color, and as things recede in space you should use less contrast, and less saturation. If you do it too much, it'll bring the back forward in the image. And you really don't want that. Better to fix it now, before you're too deep in the shit to pull yourself out. (Or rather, you don't want to because of the hours you'd have wasted.)

    Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • CharisCharis Registered User
    edited July 2009
    In terms of composition, I'm guessing you are going for something like this.

    http://kingdomhearts.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/kingdomhearts2/media/boxart/us-cover.jpg

    The problem I see with your compositions are as followed:

    1. Mickey is standing on a box of grey. In most of the promo and box images for Kingdom Hearts they are on some pretty weird looking things, such as the white frilly teardrop shape in the above image, or cliffs or the like. Your box with grey isn't cutting it, especially since all the other characters are floating in space. Either come up with some kind of shape, or fix it so that Mickey's feet aren't visible (perhaps by moving him down).

    2. The directions the characters face and look is important! On the right side you the characters are looking backwards and to the right, or just to the right. Which would be fine, except for the fact that Sora, on the left, is looking towards the viewer. The balance is totally thrown off. Either make Sora looking to left side, or make Goofy or Donald looking to other sides. Add another character facing backwards on the other side, do something. Right now it's compositionally leaning and off balance.

    3. Sora, all the way in the back, looks like an afterthought, as if you needed to put him in there to balance the image or to just stick in a game character. Either move him out and draw more of him, or take him out and scramble it to make it work.

    and 4. Yeah, you copied the poses of Donald and Goofy exactly.

    http://kingdomhearts.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/kingdomhearts2/media/boxart/us-cover.jpg There's Donald.

    http://www.christian-gaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/kingdom_hearts.jpg There's Goofy.

    Official box art. I am decidedly unimpressed. Isn't the whole point of fanart to make it yours?

    Charis on
  • Pleasance 13Pleasance 13 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    The grey box i will be turning into more of a platform thing that will blend in with the background (which will be black) and it will sort of resemble ice and smoke. Hard to explain, but harder to show you what i mean.

    I DID think through where the characters eyes were looking, I want them where they are.
    Same with Sora's positioning.

    And yes, Donald And Goofy were copied from those images, they were originally just placeholders so I could see a generally finished composition, but I do admit, I got lazy and decided to keep them in. Not the best descision, but they do fit, so I dont mind. Not like I'll be distributing this.

    Pleasance 13 on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I find it rather hard to critique copied artwork. There isn't anything too terrible about doing that for the first couple of things you draw but you're really better off drawing from life. Not to mention its always easier to critique things from life.

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Even harder to critique things with an attitude like that. If you don't want any critique, and you can't respond constructively, you shouldn't post your art here. And even less so when it's not your art.

    I can have thought through a composition for hours, and I can still be wrong about it. Just because you think you're right doesn't mean you are. Excuses don't help anyone, least of all yourself.

    Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yo friendo, post some more stuff. And not just your KH stuff either. I know you gots some!

    Oh, and some warning. People here can be jerk butts, but they're (usually) trying to help.

    Edit: And yeah, your line work is awesome. Especially considering it's with a mouse. Though get your damn self a tablet! (You can borrow mine sometime)

    2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We're jerks with hearts of gold.

    Except Metalbourne.

    He has a heart of shit. (but that's why we love him)

    Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

    Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    Even harder to critique things with an attitude like that. If you don't want any critique, and you can't respond constructively, you shouldn't post your art here. And even less so when it's not your art.

    I can have thought through a composition for hours, and I can still be wrong about it. Just because you think you're right doesn't mean you are. Excuses don't help anyone, least of all yourself.

    ...


    Anyway

    As a piece trying to replicate the style of the Kindom Hearts artwork, i think its a pretty good illustration. There are issues but it can be fixed if you want to fix them. Looking at the colours, they look a little grey and dull. Maybe try bumping them out by adjusting the levels. Though it could just be how my web browser is displaying it. Also, goofy gets a little lost in the picture. In the official artwork, the artist uses a lot of contrasting highlights to bump the characters out and add depth. I know urs is a work in progress but incase you havnt considered it, give it a go.

    winter_combat_knight on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ...Why did you quote my post?

    Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    Maybe he was pointing out that you were being a jerk for no reason.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think Radar mistook the OP's explanations for excuses, and went into "bad webcomic rage" mode.

    MKR on
  • CharisCharis Registered User
    edited July 2009
    The way I saw it was the same way as Radar. To me, OP's post of explanation was more of a 'these things are right because they are the way I want them, they are not wrong because I meant them to be this way and I am right.' Alternatively, 'I don't care their wrong because I want them that way, and if that's wrong I don't want to be right!'

    That last bit could do with being read in a foxy, breathy voice, if anyone was wondering.

    Anyways, that's the way I took it, and decided not to say anything further until now.

    Charis on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    If that's how he wants the picture, that's how he wants it. He was polite about it and has thanked everyone for their criticisms. There's no need to be a jerk to him.

    Tube on
    Hobnail wrote: »
    This forum has taken everything from me
    This hurts but I deserve it

  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He was polite to Rankandphile, which is who he thanked. Otherwise, he was indignant. And being a jerk would be telling him that I think it's wrong to copy other artist's work, or that I think fanart sucks, or something like that. I'm sure that people starting out drawing who can't portray something realistically still want what they drew. You have to understand that people hold different opinions without basically ignoring them. But saying "it's ok because I wanted it that way", isn't the way to handle yourself.

    Or, rather "I DID"(which he stressed, indicative of being defensive)"think through where the characters eyes were looking, I want them where they are. Same with Sora's positioning." Is along the same lines. He simply wrote the critique off because he didn't agree, without explaining why he didn't agree, or what he thought so that it may be challenged.

    A better way to take it would be: "I understand your point. Sora is a main character, but he just wasn't the focus of this piece, so he takes a backseat to the ones in front. And because Donald and Goofy were traced, and I decided not to change that, I felt that the way they were facing was the best for this composition, and that them looking inwards arbitrarily would be awkward. But I'll consider what you said for my next piece."

    And yeah, maybe that's not exactly what he thought, or it seems fake, but sometimes people deserve common courtesy.

    That is also applicable to myself, and I might have worded it better. So, for that, I apologize. But please don't defend him by insulting me and calling me a jerk. Tell me to please be more polite. All you're doing is egging me on.

    And MKR, I could rant about webcomics all day. :P No need to provoke me in a different thread.

    Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dude Radar, shut up.

    Like it or not, he's the artist and he can do whatever the hell he wants, it's his piece. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean that he has to take it.

    DeeLock on
  • CharisCharis Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Dude Deelock, telling someone to shut up on forums makes you look ignorant.

    If you'd taken the time to read Radar's post instead of skimming it or ignoring it, you might have noticed that he wasn't saying he had to take the critique. He wasn't saying the artist had to do what he said. He was saying that the artist, and people in general, should listen to critiques that people give them and respond politely. Because, as you might not have realized, Radar took time from his day to respond constructively to the piece, commenting on the anatomy. Just like I took the time of day to try and help with the composition.

    And you know, if people responded politely instead of telling other people they are jerks, and should shut up (like I might have done in fourth grade) then pointless derailing arguments like these wouldn't happen on threads.

    Charis on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ITT Penny Arcade's art forum has a moment of inner reflection, and the gaping universe of sematics regarding the word "critique" collapses on itself.

    Pleasance, I think you've got a solid start. I'm curious to see how it progresses. Personally, I think a scene element to it (some sort of conjoining background) may make it more interesting. Right now, the characters feel perhaps a bit too disconnected. Each one is solid on their own, but they're just not that interesting all together.

    Keep posting updates.

    Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I actually don't think this is too bad. It's really not my cup of tea, but apart from the massive amount of white space, which I assume will be fixed, there nothing seeringly wrong with this. Shame that you straight up copied your donald and goofy though....I'd to see you revisit them and replace them with your own work and flesh out the colours and rendering a bit more, but all in all I think you've done a pretty solid job.

    EDIT: Oh yeah, and watch those tangents. Sort them out and you'll get more depth out of it.

    Mustang on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Charis wrote: »
    Dude Deelock, telling someone to shut up on forums makes you look ignorant.

    If you'd taken the time to read Radar's post instead of skimming it or ignoring it, you might have noticed that he wasn't saying he had to take the critique. He wasn't saying the artist had to do what he said. He was saying that the artist, and people in general, should listen to critiques that people give them and respond politely. Because, as you might not have realized, Radar took time from his day to respond constructively to the piece, commenting on the anatomy. Just like I took the time of day to try and help with the composition.

    And you know, if people responded politely instead of telling other people they are jerks, and should shut up (like I might have done in fourth grade) then pointless derailing arguments like these wouldn't happen on threads.

    Strong words. Respectable and with common sense. We have a winner!

    Hm... It looks great, but I don't like the placement of Sora. I would like to at least see more of the face or be hunched over more.

    A suggestion if you will? Maybe and evil aura around the Witch? (Esmeralda? I can't remember....) Or a shining glare emanating from the key blade from the scene with Micky on the first one? If you continue on with this project that would be awesome.

    If you ever save up for a tablet, then you will end up having to practice on it daily to keep a steady flow on it. It takes time to learn (this coming from a lazy tablet learner) but when you get good it it you can do some awesome stuff with it. (Look up Mona Lisa or Captain Jack Sparrow in photoshop)

    Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    (Look up Mona Lisa or Captain Jack Sparrow in photoshop)

    Wait, why are these examples of good artwork on the tablet? Im not saying their badly done, but its just... copied from a photo. Good practice perhaps, but for some reason a lot of people who don't do art or just not that much seem to think its one of the end points of the whole art skillset.

    *edit
    Damnit! What a terrible top of the page.

    Wassermelone on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1
    (Look up Mona Lisa or Captain Jack Sparrow in photoshop)

    Wait, why are these examples of good artwork on the tablet? Im not saying their badly done, but its just... copied from a photo. Good practice perhaps, but for some reason a lot of people who don't do art or just not that much seem to think its one of the end points of the whole art skillset.

    *edit
    Damnit! What a terrible top of the page.

    actually that captain jack sparrow one is pretty bad
    the eyes aren't even looking the right direction
    it is good practice -- but certainly don't look at those examples as 'good'
    (not bad though)

    mully on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mully wrote: »
    1
    (Look up Mona Lisa or Captain Jack Sparrow in photoshop)

    Wait, why are these examples of good artwork on the tablet? Im not saying their badly done, but its just... copied from a photo. Good practice perhaps, but for some reason a lot of people who don't do art or just not that much seem to think its one of the end points of the whole art skillset.

    *edit
    Damnit! What a terrible top of the page.

    actually that captain jack sparrow one is pretty bad
    the eyes aren't even looking the right direction
    it is good practice -- but certainly don't look at those examples as 'good'
    (not bad though)

    Honestly I didn't even look at them.

    On another forum I go to that is about as far from anything art related as one can get, someone posted one of these. When I told them it wasn't actually at all impressive you might have thought I'd peed in not just one, but both of their parents eyeballs for all the rage I received.

    Wassermelone on
Sign In or Register to comment.