As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When I play Gears of War, I host.

2»

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Has the OP considered that his connection may just suck? And if thats the case then hosting isn't just creating an advantage, but is also being a dick. If you know you have a bad connection you should not host.

What, you can't leave a game when after you join it? He has every right to host.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    Has the OP considered that his connection may just suck? And if thats the case then hosting isn't just creating an advantage, but is also being a dick. If you know you have a bad connection you should not host.

What, you can't leave a game when after you join it? He has every right to host.

He has a slow connection. Therefore he needs to send the data packets to everyone. Therefore EVERYONE but him is suffering lag. If it's the only way he can score kills you really need to wonder about his skill level.

Also a note on live connections: How fast you can download shit isn't that important, the critical thing is the upload speed. 512k is the minimum recomended speed, and it really isn't enough if you want to play internationally. I only play on Australian host services because my new place doesn't have 1024k upload speeds.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    I don't actually understand what your question is. Your final statement is 'why the bitchin?'. Are you asking why the lag is so much worse for Gears than other games, or are you asking why other people complain about the lag...? I'm so confused.

Exactly. Why the hell did he make this thread? From what I can gather, he's complaining that when he isn't host, he doesn't do as well at GoW as he does in other shooters.

Has it occured to the OP that he might just be crap at Gears, and thus needs the hefty advantage that being host gives him over other players?

And it is quite an advantage. I'm not bitching, just stating fact. I relish the chance to be host whenever it comes up - the shotgun becomes a godly tool of death, especially if you can fire accurately from the hip.

I'm not going to dismiss the possibillity that I suck at Gears, although I think it's extremely unlikely that I just get a streak of amazing luck whenever I get the chance to play on a faster connection.

MVMosin on
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is a host advantage with a shotgun. It's pretty much a known fact in the GoW world, as it is in HALO 2.

As far as your connection goes, on average most players are going to play better when they play host. It's the way online gaming works. And yes your going to have sometimes when you don't host.

My biggest problem with all of this is the fact your saying you're good at other FPS's so by default should be good at Gears which is false.

As many people here have hinted at I think this is a simple case of you losing and blaming your connection instead of the fact you may just suck without the host advantage.

King Kong on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    My DSL provider has taken to telling me that DSL can't go any faster than 1.5Mbps. They're using it as an excuse for why I'm still paying fucking forty dollars a month for it while all my friends get 6.0 with yearly upgrades on cable.

In fact, I've been a Telus DSL customer for 8 years and the only thing they've raised in that time is the amount of money I have to pay for it.

Off topic...but what? You live in Vancouver, Telus has rolled out a High Speed Extreme that's 6Mbps, if it's live anywhere it's got to be Vancouver. I live in the middle of nowhere in Northern Alberta and I still have a 2.5Mbps line from Telus.

djklay on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know that this has already been said, but I find the statement "being the host isn't an advantage; but not being the host is a big disadvantage" to be stunning.

Defender on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not this piece of shit again...

Seriously, this fucking place is turning into Gamefaqs.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One nice thing about PC shooters is that there are usually dedicated hosts, so if you have a decent connection and pick a dedicated server with a low ping, and everyone else does the same, the game is fair.

Defender on
  • Options
    MVMosinMVMosin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    King Kong wrote: »
    There is a host advantage with a shotgun. It's pretty much a known fact in the GoW world, as it is in HALO 2.

As far as your connection goes, on average most players are going to play better when they play host. It's the way online gaming works. And yes your going to have sometimes when you don't host.

My biggest problem with all of this is the fact your saying you're good at other FPS's so by default should be good at Gears which is false.

As many people here have hinted at I think this is a simple case of you losing and blaming your connection instead of the fact you may just suck without the host advantage.

So you really don't think the fact that people teleport around the map when I'm off-host has anything to do with it?

MVMosin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    MVMosin wrote: »

So you really don't think the fact that people teleport around the map when I'm off-host has anything to do with it?

Here's the deal, though. OK, that sucks that there's bad lag. But EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN THE GAME (except the host) is dealing with exactly the same lag issue as you, unless you're asserting that you have an especially bad connection.

The same thing happens in Warcraft 3 all the time; you go to fire a Town Portal scroll to get your hero and army out of a shitty situation, and OH FUCK you get hit with a Death Coil or something after clicking the Town Portal, but before it actually goes off, and you die and your army is left stranded with no hero and half of them die and the enemy hero levels and fucks your town up. It's lag. The thing is, EVERYBODY has that same lag issue, it's not unique to you, so it becomes part of the game that you need to deal with. Eventually you can get good enough that you read your Town Portal just as the Death Coil is being thrown at you, so the enemy still spends the mana, but the spell hits during the five-second invulnerability period and you do not take any damage. Lag's a part of the game, even though the designers didn't go over to the programmers and say "Hey guys, can we get about two seconds of lag for online multiplayer? That'd be great." So even though it's not an intention part of the game, it IS a part of the game, and everybody (except the host) has to deal with it, not just you.

Defender on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1. The host's shotgun is more powerful.

FALSE.

2. The host always takes point.

FALSE.

3.The host begins running before anyone else.

FALSE.

You should do more research. I recommend playing the game.

Your right with #2 and 3, but I'm going to have to completly disagree with #1. It is a very common belief that the host has an advantage with the shotgun (not more powerful per say but definitly lag advantages).

It tends to get on my nerves when the host gets me with his shotty when it was clear i should have killed him (I.E. those shotgun firefights where your both firing as fast as possible and your shoting back and forth and just as you go to shoot that deathblow somehow, even though you've been firing before him for the past 30 seconds, he downed/killed you before your shot goes off or better yet you even heard your gun shoot yet he didnt get hit.)

Since i know this is going to happen with the host i tend to fight them from a range and take this issue away from the host, that or wait around a corner and chainsaw that mother fucker.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I haven't played Gears of War since November.

Can someone explain the "shotgun is better for the host" thing? That intrigues me.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    I haven't played Gears of War since November.

Can someone explain the "shotgun is better for the host" thing? That intrigues me.

It's just a minor lag issue. It just shows itself regularly with the shotgun. The host might be a step close then he appears, maybe you shot first but the host kills you anyway. I've even had times where the host was facing away from me and i've been killed by them.

Honestly its usualy not a major advantage, but its enough to be noticable. If you do start playing gears again just be mindfull of the host when hes got his shotty out.

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »

Here's the deal, though. OK, that sucks that there's bad lag. But EVERY OTHER PLAYER IN THE GAME (except the host) is dealing with exactly the same lag issue as you, unless you're asserting that you have an especially bad connection.

The same thing happens in Warcraft 3 all the time; you go to fire a Town Portal scroll to get your hero and army out of a shitty situation, and OH FUCK you get hit with a Death Coil or something after clicking the Town Portal, but before it actually goes off, and you die and your army is left stranded with no hero and half of them die and the enemy hero levels and fucks your town up. It's lag. The thing is, EVERYBODY has that same lag issue, it's not unique to you, so it becomes part of the game that you need to deal with. Eventually you can get good enough that you read your Town Portal just as the Death Coil is being thrown at you, so the enemy still spends the mana, but the spell hits during the five-second invulnerability period and you do not take any damage. Lag's a part of the game, even though the designers didn't go over to the programmers and say "Hey guys, can we get about two seconds of lag for online multiplayer? That'd be great." So even though it's not an intention part of the game, it IS a part of the game, and everybody (except the host) has to deal with it, not just you.
    Didn't they patch War3's TPs to make the hero invincible like two years ago?

Or is that only in TFT?

Either way it was an extremely dumb change.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    major_tom wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    I don't actually understand what your question is. Your final statement is 'why the bitchin?'. Are you asking why the lag is so much worse for Gears than other games, or are you asking why other people complain about the lag...? I'm so confused.

Exactly. Why the hell did he make this thread? From what I can gather, he's complaining that when he isn't host, he doesn't do as well at GoW as he does in other shooters.

Has it occured to the OP that he might just be crap at Gears, and thus needs the hefty advantage that being host gives him over other players?

And it is quite an advantage. I'm not bitching, just stating fact. I relish the chance to be host whenever it comes up - the shotgun becomes a godly tool of death, especially if you can fire accurately from the hip.

I'm not going to dismiss the possibillity that I suck at Gears, although I think it's extremely unlikely that I just get a streak of amazing luck whenever I get the chance to play on a faster connection.

But you already said that your 'luck' (i.e. the rate at which you can get kills) massively improves with the shotgun and longshot when you host. That's the host advantage right there, sir.

From what you've said, it seems pretty clear that you're assuming that just because you're good at FPS games you should be good at Gears. As others have pointed out, Gears is NOT an fps. I didn't have much luck in the game until I realised I should stop trying to play it like one.

EDIT: Also, if you're seeing people 'teleport' around the map when you're off-host then that means that you have a pretty unstable connection (probably suffering packet loss) and you really shouldn't be hosting. Of course, as someone said, you have 'every right' to host if you want, and people have 'every right' to just leave, but often people don't know any better, and it's still a pain in the arse (for clients) having to join a game and then having to quit after half a round.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...