As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Black Donnellys

RaakamRaakam Too many years...CanadalandRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well, now that Studio 60 is either postponed or outright cancelled (which sucks) we're now left with this new show after Heroes.

I didn't catch the pilot on tv, I ended up watching it online - and I liked it. The music was really good, the acting was alright, and the storyline seems pretty rich in terms of potential. I was a little surprised at the graphic violence in the show, and with the way the story evolved, I'm expecting it'll stay that way for a while.

Assuming the acting gets a little better, it seems like a pretty solid show to replace Studio 60.

My padherder
they don't it be like it is but it do
Raakam on

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I saw that it had captain janeway in it so I'll probably give it a whirl.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I decided to boycott the glut of organized crime fiction in pop culture a long time ago.

Yar on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am with yar on this one. Another Irish crime drama, it's not like it hasn't been done before in movies/books/everything else. The premise is just a dead horse to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SlyJokerSlyJoker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I went in with low expectations, for some reason the ads for ti made it look like a WB teen drama, but i actually liked it a lot. Joey Icecream = awesome character.

SlyJoker on
  • Options
    Marblehead JohnsonMarblehead Johnson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Paul Haggis' last TV show is one of my favorite television shows of all time, and so far, the Black Donnelys is a little anvilicious, but still good waching!

Marblehead Johnson on
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's human nature to derive meaning from that something that actually lacks it in order to suit your goals.

Dismayed By Humanity Since 1992.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    Watched the pilot after Heroes, and by the end I was despising every single character.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The chick in the show is just amazingly beautiful, but i cant figure out where i've seen her before.

As for the show:

Italian > irish.

Irish mob, hah, drunken idiots :P

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didnt really want to watch it, but the wife recorded it and nothing else was on. Was better than I expected it to be, and since i dont really watch many shows, the mob thing is new to me.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    After watching it after heroes, I have to admit that NBC will be stealing another hour of my life on Mondays. I thought it looked dumb from the commercials and didn't care to watch it, but my roommate did. Glad I did. I also thought it looked like some WB Sopranos rip-off but it turned out to be very good. I just hope the later episodes are as good as the first.

Cojo Mojo on
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Honestly, I thought it looked stupid from the previews but ended up somewhat liking it.

Hopefully some of the stale acting will get better, but I'm willing to give the show a few more chances.

Although I have to admit it's just The Sopranos with lucky charms.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Brotherhood does Irish family crime drama better, and it's not just about the crime.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I watched the pilot and thought it could have potential but it just didn't do anything for me.
    From the advertisements I thought it could have some good character development with the one guy(tommy?) who wasn't a thug. They could have done something with his character to set him apart from everyone else and make it about him being the good kid, but I think the f***ed it up at the end by just turning him into another Irish mobster.

I might give it one more episode before I quit

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I taped it and I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

p.s. communist cow you do not have to censor yourself
    watch:
    fuck cunt shit balls cock dick dongs

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Witchdr wrote: »
    The chick in the show is just amazingly beautiful, but i cant figure out where i've seen her before.

On the OC as Marissa's lesbian fling?

I hate myself....

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The previews kind of appalled me before the show even aired.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »
    The previews kind of appalled me before the show even aired.
    You should watch it, and get appalled some more.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, it had a few rough patches, but I'm willing to chalk that up to the show still finding it's legs. I'll definitely be back next week, and I'll go one further; this was a lot more entertaining that Studio 60 has been it's entire run so far. it's not great (yet, I think it has potential) but at least I don't have the feeling I'm watching a train wreck in progress.

werehippy on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's on right now, after 30 Rock. I never heard anything about this show but it grabbed me with the editing and direction and hell, I love crime drama.

I does look like a WB teen drama though.

LRG on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It was pretty good.

Although the main characters could just stand around with their shirts off for an hour or so, and it would still be pretty entertaining.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    I taped it and I'm going to watch it tomorrow.

p.s. communist cow you do not have to censor yourself
    watch:
    fuck cunt shit balls cock dick dongs

eh I'm so used to other forums that I post on that won't let you post unless you censor stuff.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    That's where I've seen the main dude before - the deep end.

Here's a tip kids, never watch that movie with your parents. Never.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, we're about 3 shows in now, so a better feel for the show. It's alright, nothing special. The actor playing Tommy always seems to be smiling, which is really distracting when it's supposed to be a poignant sad scene.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I heard about it a while back, and it piqued my interest since the actual Black Donnelly incident occured just around here. Paul Haggis is from my hometown, and that damn story is everywhere, so I guess I'm not surprised.

But once I actually watched the show, it was pretty sad. I'm also not really fond of the idea of taking the story and "modernizing" it to present day, either. But these kinds of shows aren't really my thing, I've noticed. To me, this show looked like nothing more than an Irish lovechild of The OC and The Sopranos, neither of which I liked.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm watching it for now. It has potential.

Shinto on