As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Bitching About Bad Comics Thread

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited November 2009 in Graphic Violence
Hey, do you hate when comics are bad? Disappointed by something? Want to talk about it? Do it here. Keep it out of the other threads. This is where you can vent, and warn others about what you don't like.

This is where you can be angry and make bad jokes and whatever. If I see bad jokes and anger and stupid nonsense in other threads, I'll probably infract you. If you want to discuss problems you have with the subject of a thread in that thread, you can, but I'm going to expect you to be civil about it.

This is especially true for the moment of the week thread. Those threads are for highlights. If you want to bitch about something in there, well, I'm not going to have much tolerance for it.

Oh and side note, the phrase "moment of the weak" is stupid and you should feel stupid for using it.

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jeph Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooeb!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also! This isn't the thread to defend to the death your favorite creator or series. This isn't a GET ANGRY AT EACH OTHER FOR OPINIONS thread, this is a GET THE SHIT OFF YOUR CHEST SO YOU CAN DISCUSS THINGS RATIONALLY ELSEWHERE thread.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Could we get some clarification on what you consider inappropriate for the other threads? Like I have often wrote down that Hal is one-dimensional and not a very good Green Lantern. Is that bitching, or is that observation? Is there ever a time you would consider expressing views like the above relevant to a discussion in another thread?

Maybe just a few guidelines or examples would help.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's mostly tone. Basically, "I'm not a fan of Hal Jordan because I think he's one dimensional, etc." is fine because it's an opinion you backed up with a reason. Saying "Fuck Hal Jordan and his stupid fucking fists and fuck Geoff Johns for having his boner in his mouth" would probably not be okay.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's mostly tone. Basically, "I'm not a fan of Hal Jordan because I think he's one dimensional, etc." is fine because it's an opinion you backed up with a reason. Saying "Fuck Hal Jordan and his stupid fucking fists and fuck Geoff Johns for having his boner in his mouth" would probably not be okay.

Thanks that helps.

I'm kind of sad I don't have anything to bitch about right now...

when does the next issue of Ultimatum come out?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i'll submit my DV8 trade. ellis and ramos seemed like some kind of ultimate team up when i saw it in my LCS (i had a lot of ramos love after crimson).

there is however no subtlety in the writing at all; sex, violence and drugs are just crowbarred in to highlight just how adult it is, which makes it all the more juvenile and everyone is drawn in the most ridiculously proportionned manner. forearms and breasts are bigger than heads across the board. absolutely terrible stuff.

manji on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Thanks that helps.

Pretty soon i think, August maybe? I saw something on io9.com about a teaser image with Iron Man, Cyclops Storm and Hawkeye standing over a charred skeleton with THE END written in blood behind them.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Thanks that helps.

Pretty soon i think, August maybe? I saw something on io9.com about a teaser image with Iron Man, Cyclops Storm and Hawkeye standing over a charred skeleton with THE END written in blood behind them.

Wolverine has an extensive history as a charred skeleton. Perhaps he's going to die. And of course, killing Marvel's most famous character would pretty much be the cherry on top of the massacre that has been Ultimatum.

Incidentally, has anyone in the book beenoffered an ultimatum as of yet, or did Jeph Loeb just pick that title because it resembles the line's own name?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Thanks that helps.

Wolverine has an extensive history as a charred skeleton. Perhaps he's going to die. And of course, killing Marvel's most famous character would pretty much be the cherry on top of the massacre that has been Ultimatum.

Incidentally, has anyone in the been book offered an ultimatum as of yet, or did Jeph Loeb just pick that title because it resembles the line's own name?

That's been my problem since issue 1. No Ultimatums have been given... I really can't fathom why they felt the need to take this scorched earth approach to a comic line that just needed tweaking.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's been my problem since issue 1. No Ultimatums have been given... I really can't fathom why they felt the need to take this scorched earth approach to a comic line that just needed tweaking.

It's the Jeph Loeb style: subtly applied with a sledgehammer.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Guys I just wanna say I complained about Jeph Loeb before it was cool.

In the first post of this thread.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, I mean, we can blame Loeb as much as we want, but clearly Marvel felt it was a good idea. I just don't get why.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It might not have even been Loeb's idea. Its the Ultimate universe. Where we have the Ultimates, and Ultimate Spider-Man and friends. They needed a name for their event that's consistent with the motif. Its stupid, but it fits. It might have just as easily been an editor's idea as Loeb's.

Regardless of whose bad idea it was, its still effing terrible.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should've called it Ultimate Death or Ultimate Cannibalism.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I've only given the issues a glance at best and read some scans, but couldn't they have just had Magneto given an empty ultimatum? Like, "GIVE ME CONTROL OF THE ENTIRE WORLD OR SUFFER THE FATE OF NEW YORK!"

I mean, y'know.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Bourne Ultimatum didn't have an ultimatum either.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I think that Ultimatum was implied.

Leave Borne alone or die.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't know what movie you watched, because the ultimatum I saw was pretty explicit.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ahhhh...

Artists whose work I absolutely fucking hate:

Chris Bachalo
    David Finch
    Mcfarlane
    Silvestri
    Campbell
    Whoever that Japanese artist that was on X-Men for a while and did that one Batman: Black and White story and gave everyone huge fucking beak-noses...

I also hate it when artists give Mary Jane a chin and jaw that could be used for a fucking can opener.

JRJR, I'm looking at you there, but I've seen other people do it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't know what movie you watched, because the ultimatum I saw was pretty explicit.

Well, the results were explicit. But the Ultimatum was implicit.

This was the second movie, right?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well, I mean there was the point where he called the office and basically said "Fuck off, or you die."

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well, I mean there was the point where he called the office and basically said "Fuck off, or you die."

This is true. Before that scene it was implicit... either way, the movie had a damn Ultimatum. We can agree on that.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This kind of pushed it to the front of my mind, with the second page of the Superman Wednesday Comics strip:

Is it the "in" thing to make Superman all whiny and mopey about being the (until recently) sole survivor of Krypton? Do we need some fucking Twilight or whatever kids read to feel alone and isolated mixed in with the best superhero ever ever?

Get the fuck over it, haas.

The first thing you can tell with writers who don't get Superman is how they make him react to being a god among men. They make him sad, mopey, as if that's the only way to get character out of him. It's not. Arcudi seems to show this, Azzarello showed it in For Tomorrow, Rucka did just a little bit of it,no. As was even written in the strip, he was raised human, by loving parents who never made him feel alone.

It's this whole argument about him never being both Kryptonian and Human, it's always either/or with certain writers.

Also, Greg Land.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Urghh, did anyone read today's ASM?

Terrible, terrible stuff.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ahhhh...

Artists whose work I absolutely fucking hate:

Silvestri

Are you sure you hate him or the thirteen assistants who do his job for him?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    zing!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This kind of pushed it to the front of my mind, with the second page of the Superman Wednesday Comics strip:

Is it the "in" thing to make Superman all whiny and mopey about being the (until recently) sole survivor of Krypton? Do we need some fucking Twilight or whatever kids read to feel alone and isolated mixed in with the best superhero ever ever?

Get the fuck over it, haas.

The first thing you can tell with writers who don't get Superman is how they make him react to being a god among men. They make him sad, mopey, as if that's the only way to get character out of him. It's not. Arcudi seems to show this, Azzarello showed it in For Tomorrow, Rucka did just a little bit of it,no. As was even written in the strip, he was raised human, by loving parents who never made him feel alone.

It's this whole argument about him never being both Kryptonian and Human, it's always either/or with certain writers.

It was so bad. So, so bad.
    'Super-Prozac'? What the fuck.

I'm not a big fan of Bermejo's art, either. Or at least, not in the realm of superbooks. The good news is, pretty much every other story in Wednesday Comics is just a ton of fun, and about half of them are just great so far (Especially Kamandi, Hawkman, Metamorpho, Metal Men, Green Lantern, and the Flash).

It's just a shame that the Superman strip happens to be the freebie promoting the series. They'd be much better off with the Batman strip, or maybe even the Metamorpho strip riding off Gaiman's credibility.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the Superman strip was absolutely horrendous. Yuck. I'm thinking about cutting off Wednesday Comics altogether (the first issue might make for a good keepsake, but I don't see the newsprint holding up well over time, it's expensive, and the quality is pretty uneven; Wonder Woman is downright offensive), and such a misstep isn't exactly encouraging. I think the good outweighs the bad, of course, but eh, ultimately not as wondrous a release as I was hoping.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Urghh, did anyone read today's ASM?

Terrible, terrible stuff.

At least its being consistent in its terribleness. I think Im gonna quit reading Spider-Man for now, its just spinning its wheels waiting for Dark Reign to end so Spidey and Norman can face off. The whole idiotic pregnancy-again storyline sealed it for me.

Deadpool though? AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsome.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought Amazing Spider-Man was supposed to be good again? I almost started picking it up during the American Son arc until I saw some dissenting opinions!

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Really, whether ASM is worth reading varies from week to week due to the rapid changes in writers. Then there's always the chance that a good writer may turn in a mediocre story too.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I thought Amazing Spider-Man was supposed to be good again? I almost started picking it up during the American Son arc until I saw some dissenting opinions!

Can;t remmeber the last one I enjoyed.
    I mean its given us Anti-Venom which is pretty poor, last 2 or so comics were him having a magic venom costume, then being executed at gunpoint by his arch nemesis who doesn't do execution at gun point only for it to be revealed that his mask, and only his mask, was bulletproof and unmask-proof so that comic became a torture session until the mask would turn hard and break. It was kind of interesting when he flipped out near the end and started kicking some ass but then he quickly reverted to pussy Parker and we're where we are now, which is him fighting a nobody over the dark past of his clone.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I gave in and read the 4th printing of the Obama issue when I started picking up weeklies again in the Winter.

I was surprised to see that Mark Waid was writing the book, and doing a damn good job. I skipped out for awhile, but opinion seemed to favor it here, so I started reading with the 24/7 story line (written by Mark Waid), which was actually really good until the final issue. Then the first issue of American Son was also great, but the 4 after it were all garbage.

The stories never do anything. It's like the writers are afraid of having any continuity at all, so they take these super baby steps in their story telling. And the only things they are really introducing are legacy versions of the rogues, and a bunch more goblins in particular.

I'm going to hop the party boat for issue 600, and then I'm jumping ship.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Howard Chaykin makes me furious. His art is atrocious enough that it would be terrible on its own, but I used like like American Flagg, man.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I gave in and read the 4th printing of the Obama issue when I started picking up weeklies again in the Winter.

I was surprised to see that Mark Waid was writing the book, and doing a damn good job. I skipped out for awhile, but opinion seemed to favor it here, so I started reading with the 24/7 story line (written by Mark Waid), which was actually really good until the final issue. Then the first issue of American Son was also great, but the 4 after it were all garbage.

The stories never do anything. It's like the writers are afraid of having any continuity at all, so they take these super baby steps in their story telling. And the only things they are really introducing are legacy versions of the rogues, and a bunch more goblins in particular.

I'm going to hop the party boat for issue 600, and then I'm jumping ship.

I'm pretty sure they are waiting for the end of Dark Reign and until then they're not willing or able to make any kind of significant impact on him.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Really, whether ASM is worth reading varies from week to week due to the rapid changes in writers. Then there's always the chance that a good writer may turn in a mediocre story too.

This is it exactly. ASM has some weird bi-polar disorder these days. You never know which Spidey you're going to wake up next to when you buy an issue.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Howard Chaykin makes me furious. His art is atrocious enough that it would be terrible on its own, but I used like like American Flagg, man.

Howard Chaykin is the sole reason I quit reading Punisher War Journal.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Personally i think it's intentional, we've had the painfully obvious build up to Hal Jordan Rainbow Lantern/White Lantern across the series, but thats really a red herring what will happen is that all the emotions with cancel out and Hal Jordan will end up becoming the Beige Lantern, the only man dull enough to mute and nulify the light of the entire emotional spectrum.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for bringing that up. Chaykin can be added to my list of artists I absolutely fucking hate.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Belly shirts on superheroines. Hate it with the raw fury of a billion super novas. Stop doing this, comic book industry, stop it right now. Also also, floppies need to die badly.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.