As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which LCD to buy

ronzoronzo Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I am not sure which of these two moniters to buy. Both are 20.1 Widescreen for around the same price: 200ish

BenQ

Sceptre 1

Sceptre 2

The last two are very similar. If anyone could point out which is the better one, that would be awesome. Also note that even though the sceptres are 20-30 bucks cheaper, I will have to buy a DVI cable for them, which is included with the BenQ one evening out the price.

So, my question , is which of these three is the best by either personal experience, or going off of reviews(if you have the review, please link it for me). Also, if someone would like to suggest another model around the same price (only a little higher, not above 250 at the most).

Thanks

ronzo on

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone? No one here has experience with these? Should i turn this into a general LCD/CRT/monitor discussion?

ronzo on
  • Options
    DakDak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Um, if you don't mind me asking a general HDTV question in your thread -

So I went to buy

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...house-lvm-42w2

and the dude said some crap about I should buy a Monster surge protector/powerbar, because the picture will be fuzzyish without it because of electrical blah blah blah blah. Most of it I assume is bullshit - the part about how spending $160 on a powerbar is justified, anyway.

What I want to know is, does the power bar/surge protector actually do anything noticeable for the picture quality, and is it necessary to protect my TV with one?

If so, I can totally get a cheaper one somewhere other than Best Buy, right?

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited March 2007
    20021125h.gif

this pretty much describes it

I don't know anything about all that fuzz roundabout he was trying to sell you on, but I would suggest getting an honest-to-goodness surge protector, if just for the peace of mind

those things do work, and I have had things fried because I wasn't using one

Whippy on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Avris wrote: »
    I am not sure which of these two moniters to buy. Both are 20.1 Widescreen for around the same price: 200ish

BenQ

Sceptre 1

Sceptre 2

The last two are very similar. If anyone could point out which is the better one, that would be awesome. Also note that even though the sceptres are 20-30 bucks cheaper, I will have to buy a DVI cable for them, which is included with the BenQ one evening out the price.

So, my question , is which of these three is the best by either personal experience, or going off of reviews(if you have the review, please link it for me). Also, if someone would like to suggest another model around the same price (only a little higher, not above 250 at the most).

Thanks

One of those sceptres has a glossy screen, which is supposed to make colours more vibrant and blacks blacker. On the downside it tends to have bigger problems with reflections.

From the comments it looks like it's hard to go wrong with any of the above if you're just worried about gaming.

Rook on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The BenQ looks like the worst of the three. It has a lower contrast ratio, slower response time, and says something about dithering in the amount of supported colors. Unless BenQ is a better brand or something, I can't see any reason to get it over either of the Sceptres.

Of the two Sceptres, one has a better contrast ratio (1000:1 versus 800:1) and slightly smaller viewing angle (160 versus 176), and the other has a glossy screen and appears to come with a DVI cable. Other than that they seem to be the same. Only one of them specifies HDCP support, but they both say "Windows Vista Enabled", which I've always assumed to mean it supports HDCP (though I really have no idea).

I can't stand glossy screens, and the contrast ratio is pretty important to me, so unless I've missed something, I'd go with the one with the 1000:1 contrast ratio.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dak wrote: »

and the dude said some crap about I should buy a Monster surge protector/powerbar, because the picture will be fuzzyish without it because of electrical blah blah blah blah. Most of it I assume is bullshit - the part about how spending $160 on a powerbar is justified, anyway.

What I want to know is, does the power bar/surge protector actually do anything noticeable for the picture quality, and is it necessary to protect my TV with one?

If so, I can totally get a cheaper one somewhere other than Best Buy, right?

It's bullshit to get you to buy a $160 piece of junk.

badpoet on
  • Options
    DakDak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's what I figured.

But i'd like to buy a surge protector, but I've got an interesting problem - the place I just moved into has these weird European wall plugs, so my land lard gave me a power bar that plugs into the wall socket, but has North American plugs lined up on it.

How does that affect my situation? Basically, if I plugged a surge protector pwoerbar into an extension cord, then plugged THAT into the wall, does it still have the same effect?

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Similar question: I'm in a dorm room and space is tight. I'd like to get a monitor that I can use with both my PC and my game consoles (Wii, DC, PS2, probably X360 evenutally). That means component inputs as well as the usual DVI/VGA. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably something cheap (like I said, I'm in college). I don't want to pay too much extra for a component input.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SCEPTRE monitors break a lot... like A LOT!

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Similar question: I'm in a dorm room and space is tight. I'd like to get a monitor that I can use with both my PC and my game consoles (Wii, DC, PS2, probably X360 evenutally). That means component inputs as well as the usual DVI/VGA. Anyone got any suggestions? Preferably something cheap (like I said, I'm in college). I don't want to pay too much extra for a component input.

If you can get a good deal on the Dell 2005 it does s-Video/composite and DVI/VGA. For component inputs the FPD2185W from gateway covers that but might be a bit more pricey ($350@circuit city).

I

Rook on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But i'd like to buy a surge protector, but I've got an interesting problem - the place I just moved into has these weird European wall plugs, so my land lard

You give your rent checks to a really fat guy?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's what I figured.

But i'd like to buy a surge protector, but I've got an interesting problem - the place I just moved into has these weird European wall plugs, so my land lard gave me a power bar that plugs into the wall socket, but has North American plugs lined up on it.

How does that affect my situation? Basically, if I plugged a surge protector pwoerbar into an extension cord, then plugged THAT into the wall, does it still have the same effect?

Dude, a surge protector is just what the name implies: It's a fuse that melts if your electrical grid gets a surge, so that your appliances don't melt instead.

Seriously, it's just a fuse.

There are other, more sophisticated stuff, like "line stabilizers" (i don't know how you guys call it in english), which supposedly evens out unstable AC, on top of having the fuse.

And the big daddies, No-Breaks, which do all the stuff above plus they have batteries of their own.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png