As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bongeons and Boneons and boners

1565758596062»

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm a pretty big fan of lizard people in general

Straightzi on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lizardfolk are the best

why aren't they a playable race, yet? Who cares if they have overlap with dragonborn?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Honestly out of all the classes I find fighter and rogue the least interesting. not knocking them, they are often valuable to the team, but playing one eehhh.

As for races i have brief and frequent love affairs with all of them.

Melding on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lizardfolk are boring to me for the same reason Catfolk, Bearfolk, and other animalfolk are boring.

Oh, you're human with animal bits? Fascinating.

I prefer my non-human races non-human, thank you very much.

DE?AD on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Races I don't actually really like: Dragonborn, devas, goliaths
    Classes I don't actually really like: Fighters, paladins, and probably something from PHB2 I ain't thinking of

Straightzi on
  • ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just had the opportunity to play a fighter in that oneshot on monday, and as I was building him, I ended up thinking to myself: "Wow, this is a damn good set of abilities for a defender."

Probad on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Lizardfolk are boring to me for the same reason Catfolk, Bearfolk, and other animalfolk are boring.

Oh, you're human with animal bits? Fascinating.

I prefer my non-human races non-human, thank you very much.

The lizardman from soul caliber was the tits.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    People don't like fighters?! If there's something 4e did right, it was fighters, they are just about one of my favorite things. They actually made the weapon you pick have a difference on your abilities and fighting style! I was looking through it and thinking 'elven spear-wielder - it could really work!'

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009
    Devas and goliaths i like, dragonborn i have no issue with, i also hate gnomes, in all my years, i have yet to make a gnome character in anything ever.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    They finally made gnomes forest gnomes

Which were always my favorite sort of gnome

And I don't like fighters because if I want to make an elven spear wielder I'll make a warden. Same goes for pretty much any other fighter type (with a lot of them going warden, but a fair number going to ranger, rogue, and warlord as well)

Fighter is kinda like an interesting class, it has some fun mechanics, but it has no intrinsic flavor, which bothers me. I mean, I know, add your own in and all, but that doesn't always work out, so I choose other classes.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    I have a Kobold tempest fighter with duel spiked gauntlets. I took an at will where I can kick somebody and knock them prone, while screaming what part of Greece my character is currently in

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited July 2009
    yeah,that's why i dislike fighter and rogue, they're basically pretty vanilla, i don't know how warlord and ranger escaped this trap.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    I'd play a ranger or a rogue for that.

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Rogues aren't vanilla at all to me. I mean, partially because I love playing lying thieving types, but they have a flair to them that I feel fighters are missing

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    They are more flavourful then fighters, this i will grant you.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Fighters are what you make to be. One of the problems is that the archetype has been used so much over the generations (even from the days of Beowulf).

You gotta be creative.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited July 2009
    I kind of like Wardens, but some of their abilities just bother me, like I get that they're close to nature and all, but I don't want to transform into a fucking tree in the middle of a fight. Fighter allows for a less fantastic character than Warden, and I appreciate it for that.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    you don't become a tree, you become a treant, completely different.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    you don't become a tree, you become a treant, completely different.

It's a tree. The only way a power like that could be redeemed for me would be if they made some sort of juvenile "wood" reference in the description.
    I don't really hate Wardens, but their flavor just doesn't appeal to me in the same way a Fighter or Paladin or Swordmage does.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    Swordmage is my favourite defender (i like arcane classes a lot), Paladin is also one of my favourites, warden is a fun alternative though.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    I always forget about swordmages

They're probably my favorite defender too

Straightzi on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dubh, if you make the next thread, you must mention FATAL

I demand it

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Swordmages are up there, but I sort of wrote fighters off as the boring defender right away, and now that I've had a decent look at them, I'm growing more fond.

Probad on
    edited July 2009
    I really like charisma build Paladins, not sure why, but they are my favourite way of doing it, mostly so you can mix in sorcerer or warlock.

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Dubh, if you make the next thread, you must mention FATAL

I demand it

Can you repost the links? I'm gonna start working on it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey, Mori, Janson, and Dubh. You guys cool with me running the tutorial mission for the band thing on Sunday? I thought up a plot for it, and now I am all eager to use it.

DE?AD on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so today my M&M game got basically canceled because i, the GM, slept through the entire time we were supposed to be playing and missed all attempts to wake me up

i am pretty pissed about this

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    Found it, Mori.

Jesus, that should have been an infraction. :P

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Hey, Mori, Janson, and Dubh. You guys cool with me running the tutorial mission for the band thing on Sunday? I thought up a plot for it, and now I am all eager to use it.

Yeah, that sounds good. It'd give me time to flesh out the following bit of my campaign.

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    New OP. Steal and modify it, whoever.

Do you suddenly feel awkward? Have zits spontaneously sprouted on your face? Does the mere thought of the opposite sex make your palms go sweaty?

It's okay. You're in the tabletop gaming thread!

We talk about all kinds of games, here! Hell, we'll even talk about board games!

penny_arcade_party.jpg

Some of our favorites:

-Dungeons and Dragons 4e
    -World of Darkness
    -Mutants and Masterminds

Straightzi explains the classes and races of 4e!
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Alright, Player's Handbook. The main shit. The shit you need to play. Here is what it has got going on for it:

Races:
    Dragonborn- Alright, at first I was like, "Pshaw, dragonborn." But no, that is incorrect. Not only do these bastards look like dragons walking around in big fucking suits of armor, they breathe fire, or acid, or what have you, and make awesome fucking battlefield commanders. Plus, despite being basically lizardlike in appearance, the chicks have huge racks.

Dwarves- Dwarves are where the shit is at. Gimli and those thirteen hobbit motherfuckers have nothing on these dwarves. Yeah, they're short, but they're still using weapons just as huge as the rest of you, and they're wearing armor like it ain't no thang at all, and the motherfuckers do not get tired. They just fucking don't.

Eladrin- Alright, elves are pretty cool. You know elves. And despite what everyone says, fairies are pretty cool. Well eladrin are kinda like both of those, only, y'know, better. They're the lords and ladies of the feywild, which is a crazy magic land straight out of A Midsummer Night's Dream and classical fairy folklore. Oh yeah, and they teleport all the fuck over the place, just for the fun of it.

Elves- Elves aren't fancy prancy sissies in D&D, not anymore at least. No, they are hardcore woodsmen, hiding in the trees with their bows and straight taking you out. And all of them can do that. They're so rad that they all just know how to use a longbow, like, naturally.

Half-Elves- Also known as half-humans, these motherfuckers are the best of the best between elves and humans. You're a human, you know how awesome you are (pretty awesome), and elves are badass forest gods, so you just gotta like half-elves. And what do you know, everyone does. They just kinda get along, despite not being a real proper race in their own right.

Halflings- These short motherfuckers ain't no lazy Baggins stock no, they are athletic motherfuckers who specialize in thievery, wildernessing, and kicking your ass. They're nimble as motherfuckers, and get out of the way of all sorts of shit you throw at them, beside being charming little bastards because they're the size of like a ten year old. A ten year old that will eat you for breakfast.

Humans- You know humans, you are one. If that doesn't sell you, well, these humans can do anything. They aren't specialized for one thing or another, no, it's your choice. They are versatile as hell, and thus are capable of being better than anyone else in so many ways it can't even be comprehended.

Tieflings- Alright so take a devil, and then take a human, and cross that shit straight up. These are humans with horns and cloven feet, and they're deceitful, wily motherfuckers. They ain't some weird crossbreed that never ever shows up either, they're all over the place. Sure, not as much as humans or nothing, but still pretty dang prolific, and total gothcandy.

Classes:
    Cleric- Alright, if you went to Catholic school you're gonna get this one easy. Think of those nuns and priests and shit who hit you with rulers. Yeah, now give them a huge fucking suit of armor, a fuckall big morningstar, and divine goddamn retribution following every strike. Burning with holy fire and shit, right there. Add in the ability to heal the hell out of you without even touching you, and you've got yourself a cleric.

Fighter- The name says it all for this dude. The motherfucker knows how to fight. He's got big weapons or he's got shields and heavy armor, or whatever, but he will knock you on your ass and curb stomp the fuck out of you with whatever it is he is using. On top of that, the bastard yells at you the whole way through, and you're so distracted you can't fight anybody but him.

Paladin- Alright, now take those first two, and make them into one dude. One dude with better armor than either of his component two. One dude who not only carries around a sword bigger than you, but also has a direct fucking line to God and holy fire raining down around him, around all of you. And he doesn't just distract you from fighting other dudes, you hit one of his bros in a fight and he's gonna hit you with that fuckall sword.

Ranger- This is a dude who knows the woods. And not in any gay hippy way, no, he just straight up knows the fucking forest. Oh yeah, and he can wreck you with his choice of weapons. Either a massive fucking Robin Hood bow, or a pair of slicing scimitars moving faster than that dude who got shot in Indiana Jones. Or, y'know, nature itself, a fucking bear. Yes, that's right, he can kill you with the power of his pet fucking bear.

Rogue- This is a stealthy as fuck dude who steals your wallet. Or a con artist who steals even more. Or a dude who just pounds on you until you give it to him. Point is, the dude knows how to steal, and knows how to fuck you up. Generally with tiny little knives and crossbows that most other people would do jack shit with, and generally before you can even see him do it.

Warlock- Alright so say you want to be a magician or something, but you don't want to be a boring old wizard buried in books. How about you sell your soul, y'know, to the devil, the faerie queen, or, y'know, the lost gods of the Necronomicon? Yeah, if you do that you become a warlock, and you have the power to throw around magical energy just for fucking kicks, and wreck dudes with their own nightmares and demonic images and shit.

Warlord- Most dudes on like, a war battlefield will probably be some mookish fighters or something, but the warlord, that is the one who knows exactly what is going on. The one who is ordering them all into the fight, on top of being in the fight himself and knocking through bad motherfuckers like paper dolls. On top of this, one fucking pat on the ass and encouraging word from this guy has you fighting for ages. Now that's some fucking charisma.

Wizard- The wizard is all about books of magic, which sounds kinda lame, I mean, you already gotta read shit to play this game, why you gonna read shit once you're playing it? I'll tell you why, it's because of the wizard. The wizard has a magic fucking book full of goddamn explosive fireballs and illusionary nightmares and shit. That is the kind of book we all want, so do your best to mimic it and play a fucking wizard

Let me break down the player's handbook two for you son

Alright, we got some races:
    Devas- Part angel, in contrast to the tiefling's part devil. Pretty sleek for that alone, but then on top of that they are perpetually reincarnated into newer, more devatastic forms, so any given deva character has thousands of years of experience floating just below the surface.

Gnomes-So you know Eladrin, right? How they're all fey as fuck but they're that classy Oberon and Titania bullshit going all over the place. Well gnomes are like that, only sly mischievous little fuckers. Old school bogeyman house fairy shit going on, and hell, the bitches turn invisible when they get hit. That is pretty much the best.

Goliath- You think dragonborn and shit are big? You ain't seen goddamn nothing, because these motherfuckers are huge. "So?" you say, "Who cares if they're big?" Well these guys are gonna make you care because they've got skin like stone and are designed for beating the tar out of things.

Half-Orcs- Half-Orcs used to be a shitty little race of rape babies, but no, not anymore. Now they are sleek and almost attractive and can dish out damage like nobody fucking else. I cannot say enough about how good they made half-orcs, they're like everybody's favorite villain only, y'know, better.

Shifters- These dudes are pretty much in here for players who want to be playing faggy world of darkness games. But they ain't part vampire or nothing, they're part fucking therianthrope. Either wolf or tiger, your choice, but needless to say they kick as much ass as the animals they got in their veins.

Classes:
    Avengers- If you saw paladins and thought they were zealous, you ain't seen nothing yet, because avengers will rip your shit up in the name of the Lord without using some cheap ass huge fucking suit of armor or shields or nothing. Religious fucking assassins at their absolute finest.

Barbarian- Being a big fighter dude is pretty cool, right? How about a big fighter dude who sees red, hulks out and goes into a mad fucking rage, embodying all sorts of animals and mythical creatures and shit to swing around the biggest weapon he can find and destroy everything in his path?

Bard- The bard is like that pretty good musician you saw that time who really, like, moved you man. Except this one actually moves you, then enchants you, then rips your soul straight from your body with intense virtuoso power.

Druid- Alright, history lesson. The druids occupied the British isles and worshiped sick Celtic deities and practiced human sacrifice. Amongst other things, they claimed the ability to turn into animals. So guess what the druid can do? Yes, that's right, turn into animals, but not just animals, primal fucking forces of nature. That and, y'know, curse you and all your descendants to next thursday.

Invoker- The invoker has a power that forces all enemies to kneel before him or suffer intense psychic damage. They are the crazy street dudes standing on soapboxes crying about the lord to your clerical minister and priest. And they ain't faith healers either, they have ridiculous fire and brimstone shit going on.

Shaman- This is a dude who has an animal that walks around with him, except, instead of a real animal, it's a super ghost animal which he can channel his power through. He does this to ravage the shit out of his enemies with crazy magic ghost animal claws. On top of that, he will heal the shit out of you and your buddy.

Sorcerer- Wizards are kinda neat, right? They like, study magic and become really good at it and carry around big ol' spellbooks and use them a lot. Well, sorcerers are like this, only, instead of spellbooks and years of study they've got the magic in their veins. This gets better when the magic is there because of fucking dragons and primordial chaos and shit, allowing them to destroy anything in their path.

Warden- The last of the primal sorts, the warden is a big bulky fighter who then embraces nature so much that he lights on fire. And then he swings a big fucking spear over his head and all his enemies light on fire too. And then are struck by lightning and rams made of pure nature magic. The man controls the elements, and that is hardcore.

Curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes? Moriveth solves that mystery, along with his trusty box o' porn!

NSFW

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited July 2009
    Add in the online games that are currently going on.

Which is uhh, both of mine, Marsh has something going on I think, Burning was talking about things, DE?AD has Gloss

Straightzi on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    this is easily the fastest I've ever seen a tabletop thread fill to 100 pages

that's nutso, buys and girls

D&D be gettin all popular and shit

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man in every iteration of DnD I ever played (which was basically video games) there was no reason in hell to be a half-elf over an elf or human

did that change

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009
    Also Spirit of the Century is everyone's favorite RPG it should probably be in there

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Man why would I put FATAL in my box of porn

my box of porn has stuff that I like to whack it to, and overly complex diagrams and mathmatical formulas on vaginal and anal penetration are totally not it

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    Quick someone give me a thread title

I added to the OP Dubh made but

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    Fuck D&D, let's all play FATAL

Moriveth on
    edited July 2009
    Alright cool

We good to honor lock this shit?

New thread here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=10907489

This thread honor locked

Straightzi on
    edited July 2009
    S... sure? I'm unsure if I should post

Moriveth on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
This discussion has been closed.