As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shadowrun3] [Session 3 7/28] Stealing magical prototypes for fun and profit

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ha, sounds like hilarious and lethal hijinks. Post the log?

fadingathedges on
  • illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would like a look at the log if anyone has it.

Also, how will Yushima be introduced.

can someone also tell me how I can post my NSRCG sheet up here?

illgottengains on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sigh... First session and already my own party wants to kill me...

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to sabotage the run, I honestly thought I had it right. I even kept notes as we were playing. For whatever reason, I just mixed up the names. When the guard said "Thompson's?" my paranoia kicked in and I thought "it's a trick question by the GM to make us screw up! Quick, what's the name I'm supposed to give!" and confused our cover story with the company that originally built the place.

So yap, mea culpa and all that. Thank you piL for being generous, I'll try to be more dilligent next time.

Speaking of next time, do we have any idea whatsoever as to how we're going to take care of the guards around our target objective? I have a few, but I'd like to run them by the team before we proceed.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would like a look at the log if anyone has it.

Also, how will Yushima be introduced.

can someone also tell me how I can post my NSRCG sheet up here?

You can get your own web hosting!

Or you can email it to me.

Sigh... First session and already my own party wants to kill me...

For what it's worth, I wasn't trying to sabotage the run, I honestly thought I had it right. I even kept notes as we were playing. For whatever reason, I just mixed up the names. When the guard said "Thompson's?" my paranoia kicked in and I thought "it's a trick question by the GM to make us screw up! Quick, what's the name I'm supposed to give!" and confused our cover story with the company that originally built the place.

So yap, mea culpa and all that. Thank you piL for being generous, I'll try to be more dilligent next time.

Speaking of next time, do we have any idea whatsoever as to how we're going to take care of the guards around our target objective? I have a few, but I'd like to run them by the team before we proceed.

I need to be fair: what you were doing was both reasonable and happens. Nobody's going to get all the details right, and one of the things I try to do when I manage a game is keep the detail high. There's a lot of stuff to forget. It was just the right guy right time to make the mistake--a face making that mistake is especially hilarious. When the troll sam or the rigger makes that kind of mistake, it probably goes unnoticed and quickly forgotten.

Edit:

RE: Transcript

I uh, forgot to keep one, and didn't check to see if anyone else did. It may be lost to time. I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen next time.

piL on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I log all my IRC, I can get it when I'm home.

And while we're bugging you about it RU, because it's pretty funny, we're not pissed.

It does help to keep your shit straight in Shadowrun though, because as you saw it slows things down if people are inconsistent and it's hard to keep in it as characters.

Having characters/players botch runs happens so you'll want to be careful in the future, I think piL is just being generous due to first run and all. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for reassuring me guys.... now, about our "plan"?

Romantic Undead on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for reassuring me guys.... now, about our "plan"?

"Set everything on fire."

I mean, that's my plan, anyway...

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    Your plan sucks!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Infidel wrote: »
    Your plan sucks!

When people start shooting at you, you'll be glad I brought a fire elemental.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My plan; instead of going along with washwoman scam v2.0RC, we just start killing people the first chance we get, take the stuff we were sent for, hope that their decker's on site so we can take her shit, and then we drive into the red smog(Sunsets are an anachronism in this day and age).

Also, I'll be gone from the 31st to the 7th, to the east coast, hope that isn't a problem.

Edith Upwards on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Someone better have some dynamite or something similar.

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Someone better have some dynamite or something similar.

like a fire elemental

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    If you're worried about the thin walls,

I thought that's what we brought the troll for? :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Hey, as long as it can knock down walls, i'm cool with it. :P

EDIT: The elemental that is. Troll works too.

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    piL, where can I mail the logs to?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    If you're worried about the thin walls,

I thought that's what we brought the troll for? :D

And that's what I have the Ruger Super Warhawk for.

Because I'm not getting raw sewage on my hands, especially since it seems like said "raw sewage" might melt my boots.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    Allright well, as a non-fighter, I think we can try just a bit of finesse before we start blowing shit up, to even our odds.

So here's what I was thinking.

I'm really really, ridiculously good looking, so much so that even straight men like being around me. That being said, while we've still got our cover, I think I might be able to convince some of non-pro guards to leave the room under the pretense that we suspect the toxic spill has eroded the foundation and caused a toxic leak in the basement (where our target is) and that the basement needs to be evacuated. Now the pros might not fall for it, but the mundanes might, which works the odds in our favour a little bit. Hell, if we want to make the structural damage story even more convincing, we can have the elemental give the foundation a kick to help convince them.

Thoughts?

Romantic Undead on
    edited July 2009
    I don't think we should be planning in this much detail in ze thread. Your assurance that we can get through this without killing that many dudes is appreciated though.
    Not really, I just wanna throw an oversized eight ball at some rentacop's teeth.

Also, when's the homework getting posted?

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    Where we left off, it's kinda hard for a homework bit.

But maybe he could have us do some backstory/additional legwork in the past or something if he really wants.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I think the homework was/is supposed to be backstory related.

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Sorry guys about taking so long for this. Basically, the homework for this session is to describe your lifestyles. When I was playing Shadowrun pretty regularly, I made a habit of writing out all kinds of details about contacts and lifestyles. I ended up with floor plans, and descriptions, locations, etc.

You don't have to go into that much detail (Crave's warehouse was located on these streets, and had a furnished bedroom on the second floor. I included in which nightstand my shotgun was, and where all of my gear was generally kept, along with a floorplan detailing furnishings, shop details, and vehicle locations). I would, however, like to know some detail. What neighborhood is your main location at? What about your safehouse? Is that medium lifestyle a bad apartment in a good area, or maybe a well furnished hole using stolen electricity somewhere in the sewers? There are special rules for lifestyles in the sprawl survival guide--you can use those as a guide if you want, but it's not necessary.

The more details the better, but I don't want anybody breaking themselves over it.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    That's an important part of a rigger and you know I already have worked a chunk of that out, I'll definitely have something written up nice with my background though.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    hey folks

i was kind of a dick at the end of the last session

sorry about that, i was out of line

that shit won't happen again

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    oh INNS

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    shush, you

just shush

Anyway, homework.
    Esther's Lifestyles, Mechanically:
    Middle: Area 3, Comfort 3, Entertainment 1, Furnishing 3, Security 4, Space 4
    Low: Area -1, Comfort 0, Entertainment 0, Furnishing 1, Security 3, Space 3

Esther lives in a very large, family-sized apartment with three bedrooms. It's got one bathroom, a kitchen and dining room, a living room, and a study. It's almost completely furnished, with a full dining room set, a comfortable bed, fully equipped kitchen and bath room, and a little study with a desk and other basic amenities. She doesn't really keep up with entertainment, with a bookshelf sparsely decorated with some old books and magazines forming the bulk of her entertainment.

Esther's own bedroom has a single large bed, nightstand, and a dresser. The second has a pair of smaller beds and empty dressers with matching night stands. The third is empty, with hardwood floors: this is where Esther draws up her summoning circles, and it is fortunately large enough to accommodate circles for the largest elementals she can safely summon.

This is holed up in an apartment in the Bellevue area. The building has armed guards present most of the time, as well as an expensive contract with Lonestar should something go wrong in the area. Esther has contracted a small astral security firm, as well, to ensure a small degree of safety in that realm when she isn't present.

Esther also has a small place in the worst parts of the Redmond Barrens, in a less-than-technical sense. She's marked out a small place where she can crash should she not be able to return home to her Bellevue apartment, with some basic security (heavy locks, mostly) and a bit of incentive for local toughs to make sure the place gets left alone. (Esther pays out small bi-weekly payments to a handful of gangers, and in return, they make sure nobody breaks in or squats there.) This place is almost entirely empty, save for a single mattress. It's got a roof, but otherwise it's a place to sleep with a few locks and room enough to draw up a rudimentary summoning circle.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    Is it dangerous to summon fire elementals in you guest room? That isn't a fire hazard or anything?

Yushi lives in a garage apartment in a Redmonton neighboorhood that actually still has houses, you know... the buildings that aren't connected to other buildings on the side... they have.. well some of them have lawns... nevermind. It's pretty small, but it's tucked away behind a house with access to the back alley. There isn't much in the way of security, some locks on the doors. If yushi is performing some magical stuff he might have a watcher spirit up but thats about the most of it. He likes to keep a low profile, and if he even suspects that he may be recieving unwanted visitors he just goes to a coffin motel for a few nights. He doesn't have a PC, just the standard vid-phone, and a trid for downtime. Yushi likes to watch samurai movies, or if he can catch a japanese fencing match he'll take that. He also has a small, but respectable collection of 19th and 20th century literature. He keeps the place fairly trashed, but he isn't a btl junky he's just lazy. He keeps his Rapier parked just outside his backdoor to the alley

illgottengains on
    edited July 2009
    Is it dangerous to summon fire elementals in you guest room? That isn't a fire hazard or anything?

Esther summoned her present fire elemental in a big alleyway because she didn't want to burn down her house. :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    You won't burn down your house summoning the fire elemental anyways.

(Unless you roll poorly! :lol:)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    You won't burn down your house summoning the fire elemental anyways.

(Unless you roll poorly! :lol:)

well, starting the bonfire that you need to summon it might be risky :p

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2009
    So I may be playing in the midst of a car load of straights on Tuesday. Peoples who couldn't tell you what a mIRC client is. This could be interesting. D:

Verr on
    edited July 2009
    Good stuff guys who did it.
    Esther's Lifestyles, Mechanically:
    Middle: Area 3, Comfort 3, Entertainment 1, Furnishing 3, Security 4, Space 4
    Low: Area -1, Comfort 0, Entertainment 0, Furnishing 1, Security 3, Space 3

Esther lives in a very large, family-sized apartment with three bedrooms. It's got one bathroom, a kitchen and dining room, a living room, and a study. It's almost completely furnished, with a full dining room set, a comfortable bed, fully equipped kitchen and bath room, and a little study with a desk and other basic amenities. She doesn't really keep up with entertainment, with a bookshelf sparsely decorated with some old books and magazines forming the bulk of her entertainment.

Esther's own bedroom has a single large bed, nightstand, and a dresser. The second has a pair of smaller beds and empty dressers with matching night stands. The third is empty, with hardwood floors: this is where Esther draws up her summoning circles, and it is fortunately large enough to accommodate circles for the largest elementals she can safely summon.

This is holed up in an apartment in the Bellevue area. The building has armed guards present most of the time, as well as an expensive contract with Lonestar should something go wrong in the area. Esther has contracted a small astral security firm, as well, to ensure a small degree of safety in that realm when she isn't present.

Esther also has a small place in the worst parts of the Redmond Barrens, in a less-than-technical sense. She's marked out a small place where she can crash should she not be able to return home to her Bellevue apartment, with some basic security (heavy locks, mostly) and a bit of incentive for local toughs to make sure the place gets left alone. (Esther pays out small bi-weekly payments to a handful of gangers, and in return, they make sure nobody breaks in or squats there.) This place is almost entirely empty, save for a single mattress. It's got a roof, but otherwise it's a place to sleep with a few locks and room enough to draw up a rudimentary summoning circle.

This is pretty good INNS. 2 karma for this. I'm going to go ahead and assume it's the Halloweeners that you pay out too, and that it's a squatted apartment, unless you want to disagree. I say the Halloweeners because they're big enough (and if it were someone else, then changing boundary lines might mean your place gets ransacked for the hell of it), and I say squatted apartment, because it's more interesting than rent.

Yushi lives in a garage apartment in a Redmonton neighboorhood that actually still has houses, you know... the buildings that aren't connected to other buildings on the side... they have.. well some of them have lawns... nevermind. It's pretty small, but it's tucked away behind a house with access to the back alley. There isn't much in the way of security, some locks on the doors. If yushi is performing some magical stuff he might have a watcher spirit up but thats about the most of it. He likes to keep a low profile, and if he even suspects that he may be recieving unwanted visitors he just goes to a coffin motel for a few nights. He doesn't have a PC, just the standard vid-phone, and a trid for downtime. Yushi likes to watch samurai movies, or if he can catch a japanese fencing match he'll take that. He also has a small, but respectable collection of 19th and 20th century literature. He keeps the place fairly trashed, but he isn't a btl junky he's just lazy. He keeps his Rapier parked just outside his backdoor to the alley

1 Karma, I'm happy with this.

Just so you know, the area near Seattle (part of the Seattle sprawl) is simply called "Redmond" if that's what you meant. Yushi lives in an area dominated by the sprawl of the city, where as many lowlives end up crowding as can fit. How does this affect him? What is his relationship with local gangs. What's in the rest of the house? Yushi lives in a bad neighborhood he leaves a lot. Does he flaunt his magic to intimidate the locals into staying away, does he keep them out some other way, or does he simply hide his important goods really well, and lives with the fact that break-ins are a way of life in the Barrens?

piL on
    edited July 2009
    How many people can't make tonight?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    How many people can't make tonight?

I'm glad players have my back to ask stuff like this; I just keep going on my merry way and hope things work out. I'm not a very good internet-GM.

piL on
    edited July 2009
    I just got SSG, homework coming shortly.

Edith Upwards on
    edited July 2009
    I have some things to finish tonight, I can play if we are gaming but I won't complain if it's cancelled is all. :) Could use the extra time.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited July 2009
    I'll be here. That was a bit of a rush job on the homework. I meant Remington, I believe.

illgottengains on
    edited July 2009
    I'm here and good for tonight.

Romantic Undead on
    edited July 2009
    Zahn: What is SSG? EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out; I'm dumb.

Infidel: Not planning on canceling at all. Sorry!

illgottengains: I'm by no means a Seattilite, but my powers combined (Google maps) cannot seem to help me find a Remington, Seattle.

Edit: RU: Hurrah!

piL on
    edited July 2009
    Hey, what were the channels we used last time?

piL on
    edited July 2009
    #pashadowrun

#pasrooc

I believe.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png