As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night and [PHOTO] Every Day

StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
In this thread, we post photos! (Shamelessly stolen from Grifter)

All photos are welcome, though most people post with the intention of receiving criticism so that they can become better photographers. Please do not spoiler your photos as that defeats the purpose of the thread.

For photography newbies:
What type of camera should I buy?
This can't be answered the same for every person. There's little difference in the photo quality between most major brands (Canon, Nikon, etc) so it comes down to price and personal preference. Make sure your camera lets you control settings like shutter speed, aperture, and ISO and preferably lets you capture images in RAW format. Other than that, get a bit of hands on time and see how the camera feels to you. Also remember that if you're buying an SLR, camera bodies come and go but lenses usually last while. For this reason it might be worth it to buy a cheaper body and spend a bit extra on some lenses.

Speaking of lenses, which ones should I buy?
Most kit lenses are a good starting place, though you'll begin to find them more limited once you're more comfortable with your camera. A good entry level prime lens for Canon cameras is this little guy. Other than that, you'll probably want to pick up a telezoom lens with a macro feature. This should get you set for a long while.

Any good books/sites I should read?
Lots of people recommend Understanding Exposure or the first Ansel Adams book. Don't bother buying any book that tells you how to use your specific camera model. All of that information can be found in your user's manual.

How do I become awesome at arting?
The best advice I can give is: keep taking pictures. That being said, don't just randomly point your camera at something and hit the shutter button. Stop for a moment to think about why you're taking this picture. What are you trying to show people? Is the current lighting/angle/etc going to help you show that? If so, proceed. If not, adjust your settings or body to capture it another way.

Resources/Tools:
Lightroom - Awesome software for managing your photo collection and editing RAW files.
LR Mogrify - Unfortunately Lightroom doesn't have a border option so use this tool. It also does watermarks and the like.
Canon Firmware Update - Unofficial firmware update that allows more options one some Canon cameras.
Strobist - Fantastic source on getting into off camera lighting. Don't be put off by initial complexities. It'll come.
Flickr - A free photo hosting site. Also has a pro option if you like. There's also a PA flickr group.
Phorumr - If you're using flickr and Firefox, this script auto generates the code you need to paste into the forum.
Photoshop Pyramid - Helps regulate your daily dose of Photoshop.
A DIY plexiglass frame - Nifty.
DIY Bokeh - A neat DIY to getting bokeh shapes.

There's also a great write up from Pope:
Some Photography Stuff

Types of Lenses:

Prime Lens - A lens with no “zoom.” While this might limit composition choices, it also usually means the lens is “faster” (meaning can achieve larger apertures, usually 2.8 and larger (2.0, 1.8, 1.4, 1.0, etc). The wider the aperture, the more light gets in and therefore the faster the shutter can be which is why primes are considered faster.

Zoom Lens - Any lens that can span a range of focal lengths. For example: 18mm-55mm. There are zooms in every category (normal, telephoto, wide, and macro).

Telephoto Lens - A lens that makes objects in the photo appear larger than they were to the naked eye. This is akin to being “zoomed in.” These lenses are comparable to physically moving closer to the subject. Some distortion can occur in the form of “compressing” the distance between objects.

Normal Lens - A lens where objects in the photo appear to be the same size as when seen by the naked eye. This lenses do not change your perceived distance from the subject.

Wide Angle Lens - A lens that shows a wider field of view than the naked eye. This is comparable to being further from the subject. Some distortion can occur (with a fisheye being an extreme example). Foreground objects appear disproportionately larger than background objects.

Macro Lens - A specialty lens that allows focusing on objects MUCH closer than with other lenses. Favored for all closeups (insects, flowers, etc).

Other Terms:

DOF - DOF stands for Depth-of-Field or Depth-of-focus. This describes how much of the shot is in focus (a plain perpendicular to the lens).

Focal Length - The size of a lens. Controls how “zoomed in” or “zoomed out” the picture is. On a 35mm camera a 50mm lens is pretty ‘normal’ and an 85mm lens is a short ‘telephoto’ and a 20mm lens is ‘wide.’ On a lower-end SLR a 50mm is a little bit telephoto.

Crop Factor - The ratio of size of the field of view between various cameras and compared against a 35mm film camera as the baseline. A typical digital SLR has a crop factor of 1.6 (meaning the field of view of the digital chip is smaller than a 35mm film frame). This affects the field of view offered by lenses. For example, a 50mm lens on a typical Digital SLR (DSLR) would be the equivalent of an 80mm lens on a 35mm film camera. A 200mm lens on a typical DSLR would be the same as a 320mm lens on a typical 35mm film camera.

Aperture - The aperture is the size of the opening of the shutter when it fires. It is measured as a fraction (so that 4.0 really means 1/4.0 and 16 means 1/16 and 1.8 means 1/1.8). The smaller the number, the wider the aperture. The wider the aperture, the smaller the DOF and the more light that gets in so the faster the shutter needs to be set.

Shutter Speed - How fast the shutter fires. Conventional wisdom dictates that a camera can be handheld at a shutter speed equal to 1/x where x is the focal length of the lens. For example, if shooting with a 100mm lens, you can handhold the camera up to 1/100 sec. Anything slower (1/50 sec, etc) would need to be balanced on a tripod or monopod or other stabilizer.

ISO - How sensitive the chip is to light. The higher the ISO, the faster the shutter can be set at. ISOs over 200 can start to introduce digital noise (comparable to film grain) with more noise coming from higher ISOs.

Exposure:

There are 3 major factors that affect proper exposure: ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture. Adjusting any of these factors affects exposure unless compensated for by either of the other settings.

For example, take the “sunny 16 rule.” The sunny 16 rule is a generalized rule of thumb for achieving proper exposure in sunny conditions. It states that you set the shutter speed to 1/ISO (ie - if using ISO 200 then set the shutter to 1/200 sec), then set the aperture to 1/16 (f-16 or f/16). So a proper exposure would be ISO 200, 1/200 sec, F/16.

Now if you wanted to change the shutter speed because you are using a 300mm lens and don’t have a tripod you could set the shutter to 1/400 sec. This would unbalance the above equation, so you could then compensate by raising the ISO to 400. Now you have ISO 400, 1/400 sec, F/16. Both this setting and the one above give the same exposure.

Depth of Field:

Depth of field is affected by two details: aperture and distance between the camera and the subject. Of these, aperture is the factor that gets manipulated most often when trying to change depth of field. The wider the aperture, the smaller the depth of field. When a lens is “wide open” (using the widest possible aperture, the smallest number) is has the smallest DOF. This is useful for blurring backgrounds and drawing focus where you want it. On the other hand, the smallest possible aperture (anywhere from F/16 on most lenses to F/22 or even F/45 on some lenses) gives the longest DOF. This is most useful in landscape photography where the ideal is to have ALL of the scene in focus.

Distance between camera and subject becomes an issue when shooting Macro photography specifically. When the lens is w/in mere inches from the subject then even a “normal” aperture like F/5.6 can yield a small DOF (a scant couple millimeters). To get all of a macro subject in focus it is usually necessary to shoot a F/8 or F/11 or smaller. This results in slow shutter speeds (see above) unless additional light is brought in (ie - from a flash). Slow shutter speeds increases the chance for motion blur (especially on a breezy day or when the subject is animate, ie a butterfly).

Here are a couple of articles by Ken Rockwell. they are a good read if you are interested in getting into professional photography. You've probably heard it all before though.

Why Photography is Not a Profession.
How to Become a Professional Photographer.
What Makes a Professional Camera.

His head is fairly far up his arse, but he is making money as a photographer. So whatever really.

KABLOOOOOOOOOM

DSC03957-2.jpg

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
Staleghoti on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Quality title, I approve.

Mustang on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stale: what version of PS do you have? If you have CS4 I can tell you how to quickly remove it (or lessen it quite a bit), the chroma I mean.

Prospicience on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey peoples, I recently unearthed a lost relic from 1979: A Nikon EM

My dad's old boss gave it to him as a present, and he hasn't touched it in decades. I mentioned an interest in photography and he fished it out for me. Seeing how it's been in it's case, it is still in good condition and I'm sure it works. I'm not bothered by the fact that it is old, but d'ya reckon I can take good pictures with it?

Muse Among Men on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey peoples, I recently unearthed a lost relic from 1979: A Nikon EM

My dad's old boss gave it to him as a present, and he hasn't touched it in decades. I mentioned an interest in photography and he fished it out for me. Seeing how it's been in it's case, it is still in good condition and I'm sure it works. I'm not bothered by the fact that it is old, but d'ya reckon I can take good pictures with it?

Is there a lens? Having a lens is handy.

Also, it more than likely is going to need a good cleaning, lubricating and adjusting if it has been sitting for some time, as well as replacement light seals. You'll need new batteries in order to use most features, such as higher shutter speeds and light meter, but it can be shot up to 1/90 without battery power. Occasionally, and I just ran into this on a Yashica Lynx 5000e the other day, using a two battery system often the batteries will short one another out and leave a good deal of corrosion. If this is the case, standard household vinegar will eliminate visible battery corrosion, but internal corrosion may still be a problem.

Give it a test and let us know.

Uncle Long on
  • yogurtyogurt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cool, not much of a photographer, but I like messing around with photography every now and then

Some stuff from my foundation year photography class:

My pups, as seen on holga film:
    500x141.jpeg

500x327.jpeg

500x296.jpeg

Sunset, two photos taken with a digi, PSed together
    800x390.jpeg

Some photos from this camera I got from lomography.com, takes four sequential photos in a row, all on the same picture:

800x533.jpeg

800x512.jpeg

800x533.jpeg

400x269.jpeg

600x400.jpeg

Taken with an (ex)girlfriends fisheye from lomography:

800x543.jpeg

800x510.jpeg

600x395.jpeg

800x520.jpeg

yogurt on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It comes with a 50 and 72 mm lens, I'll do my best to clean it up.

Muse Among Men on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stale: what version of PS do you have? If you have CS4 I can tell you how to quickly remove it (or lessen it quite a bit), the chroma I mean.

I have elements 6

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's 'PARTY every day'!
    Not '[PHOTO] everyday'.
    Geeeeezz :rotate:

winter_combat_knight on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yogurt wrote: »
    600x400.jpeg

IT'S A HORSE!

TheBog on
  • PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    regarding the small dof on my shots in the last threads: I know, but that's what happens when you use 1.8, unfortunately. I didn't have just the one photo, there were many, and I selected that one out of the other candidates because she had the best expression. If the focus is off a sliver of a centimetre, I'll let it slide... no one but other photo nerds are going to be looking at them at 100% anyway. I'm aware of the shallow dof with 1.8... it's why I crave a full frame to have a little more breathing room.

ANYWAYS

ALL of the other crits, concerning lighting and positioning, and cropping, were brilliant. Thanks dudes. It was actually really helpful. I don't have any white foam core, but I do know where to get it. I'll be picking it up, soon. Also, what was I going to say? Oh, yeah, the model decided she wanted "water" involved with her photos someway, so I thought of the river that runs through the town immediately. Rennie's Mill, folks, is polluted and gross. This girl was a trooper. And she listened when I said "open your mouth a bit", "close your mouth a bit", "look to the left, and up a bit", and all of the other annoying commands I'm usually giving, which was refreshing. I love it when people listen and aren't all giggly and shy.

MORE PHOTOS.

3727812521_278ed8f895_b.jpg

3728612128_6cf1ed7869_b.jpg

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Penpal wrote: »
    regarding the small dof on my shots in the last threads: I know, but that's what happens when you use 1.8, unfortunately. I didn't have just the one photo, there were many, and I selected that one out of the other candidates because she had the best expression. If the focus is off a sliver of a centimetre, I'll let it slide... no one but other photo nerds are going to be looking at them at 100% anyway. I'm aware of the shallow dof with 1.8... it's why I crave a full frame to have a little more breathing room.

A couple of points:

1.) "Photo nerds," will tell you why a photo doesn't work. Everyone else will just tell you that it doesn't work or tell you that they like it because they're your friend/relative/don't know any better.

2.) You do realize that you can stop the lens down to increase your depth of field right? There really was no call for shooting at f/1.8 outdoors during the day time if not used for a very specific reason and with the utmost attention to focus. At any rate, that's no excuse for poor focus. It's not that the focus is off by a sliver of a centimeter, it's that it's just plain out of focus, and it doesn't take a 100% view or pixel peeping to see that, and full frame isn't going to make as much of a difference as you're hoping it will. Better to stop down.

Uncle Long on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Contemplating_Heaven_by_Rihani.jpg

Little_Clearing_by_Rihani.jpg

Hideaway_by_Rihani.jpg

Swirls_by_Rihani.jpg

Icy_Surface_by_Rihani-1.jpg

Crystallis_by_Rihani.jpg

Things that have caught my interest recently.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • needOpticneedOptic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    A couple of points:

1.) "Photo nerds," will tell you why a photo doesn't work. Everyone else will just tell you that it doesn't work or tell you that they like it because they're your friend/relative/don't know any better.

2.) You do realize that you can stop the lens down to increase your depth of field right? There really was no call for shooting at f/1.8 outdoors during the day time if not used for a very specific reason and with the utmost attention to focus. At any rate, that's no excuse for poor focus. It's not that the focus is off by a sliver of a centimeter, it's that it's just plain out of focus, and it doesn't take a 100% view or pixel peeping to see that, and full frame isn't going to make as much of a difference as you're hoping it will. Better to stop down.

Did I ever tell you I like you? Well I do. Good post.

I picked up two books - "The Moment It Clicks" and "Minimalist Lighting". Started on Minimalist lighting, good stuff. I'm also going to order my strobe kit... *braces for hit to wallet*...

needOptic on
  • hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Took a trip a few weeks back to N.C. to visit family. Somehow spent most of the time with my camera set on ISO800 (crap... Nikon D50 is really noisy at 800/1600). I really want a low-noise body. Oh well...

Some daylilies I happened upon while at the Carolina Raptor Center:
    3676018992_5573886d01.jpg

My niece, Jianna:
    3674259730_2fbb87826b_b.jpg

My other niece, Jayna:
    3673461473_068051cbd8_b.jpg

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    To follow my usual trend for new photo threads, here is some old stuff (Done with kodak gold 200 and tmax 400 on my pentax me-super):

453300963_c4fc2114a3_o.jpg

453300961_2db3924ce1_o.jpg

not sure if i've posted this one before:
    453300965_501c0d5fa1_o.jpg

These photos were taken roughly 7 years ago.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited July 2009
    I like that face de textur

needOptic on
  • PenpalPenpal Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    no disrespect from "photo nerds", man, none at all. I am one. And I said I appreciated the crits, they were great, but I was pointing out I was aware that using 1.8. Also, I know that I'm getting good crits here, and I'm not "lashing back" because they're too "harsh", or something, because I said in my first reply that I appreciated them. I post my photos on two other websites, and flickr, and the reason I don't like flickr is exactly because every comment is usually something like "LOOOOVE THIS!" or something that isn't constructive at all. I appreciate that you even replied and commented on my photos. I really do, like I said, appreciate the honest photo critiques. They're helpful, and using a foam core is something I'll do from now on, too.

actually, running back into lightroom, It seems I was using 2.8. Which isn't as bad. And also, it wasn't daylight, it was 9 o'clock and I was losing light. I agree, though, about the small aperture.

I shoot with a 50 1.8 on my film camera, too, and I love it, because of the giant viewfinder and the lower focal length. That's what I meant by my "breathing room" comment... it's not a magic wand, but a 50 on a ff would give me a (to the eye) less shallow depth of field.

Penpal on
    Kevin+Coffey.png
  • swdeeswdee Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Hello, new user here

Stumbled on this thread and I was just scanning a few prints I made last week. Crits welcome, I'm pretty new at the whole thing. so now for the photos: on tmax B&W 100 and 400 taken with an old Konica Autoreflex T3

alli.jpg

city1.jpg

elevatoraction.jpg

ferriswheel.jpg

rocks.jpg

mia.jpg

lights.jpg

swdee on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys! H/A pointed me this way.

Here's my thread there.

Basically, I'm a 19 year-old who is going to Europe this next year who needs a camera. I go to a school that's big on photo and all my friends are photographers, and I've spent enough time with them and with their cameras to know I'm actually interested in getting a DSLR for the trip. Only problem is, I don't know too much about cameras. I'm going to be moving around a lot, and taking a lot of relatively close-range architecture shots, although I'd really like to do portraits too. Probably going to be wanting some landscape shots as well.

So, what is a cheap ($400 or less, ideally - I know I'm getting it used) solution to what I need? Can someone point me in the right direction? I hear good things about the Rebel XT and the D50 - anything else I should know?

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009
    Read the OP

Staleghoti on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I did, but the OP isn't tailored to my specific situation.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited July 2009
    Swdee - I really like those pictures. Especially dig the out of focus Ferris wheel at night and the kid.

needOptic on
  • StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some random pics I got around to processing and uploading.

3733634915_c233196f19.jpg

3733632899_92e0e9b367.jpg

3733627369_2354f2ee9f.jpg

Stregone on
    edited July 2009
    #2 is just begging for a ihasahotdog caption. Excellent eyes.

Staleghoti on
    edited July 2009
    Picked up a Canon 580EX (mark I), barely used for $230. Pretty damn good deal.
    Went to pick some blueberries with wifey & friends and figured I'd test the flash with some of the product at home.

3737538634_becdd82245.jpg

Flash to the left side of the apple. Bounced it off the white wall to the right of the picture.

3736789923_3ae2931d3b.jpg

needOptic on
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Some from a recent trip to the lake with my family.

3737555918_400efd0fd4.jpg

3736756943_3bb4f0994d.jpg

3736753277_21d4d01aa3.jpg

3736789791_a89169a818.jpg

Houndx on
  • Lotus JetLotus Jet Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Took these over the past 2 years or so on my Rebel XT:

IMG_72641.png

IMG_8686.png

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_4971.png

IMG_5166.png

IMG_4277.png

IMG_3929.png

skyway.png

Lotus Jet on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    nO: your pictures have the uncanny power to move me to sour my fridge for apples and blueberries. Great shots.

Here are some pictures I took during Kelby's photowalk event. The event started by the breaking of the strap on a full frame Canon with 34lb L lens. The owner was lucky, as the only visible damage was just a light scratch on the outside of the lens.

3738065082_47e2e25890.jpg

3738063798_964db41308.jpg

3737267509_9484c113ae.jpg

3738070278_556c50f70c.jpg

3737266251_f1148710a9.jpg

3737263163_4c3e810674.jpg

3737265061_cbe6530448.jpg

3737276099_6c27e24d57.jpg

muninn on
  • FlyingmanFlyingman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    muninn: Some fantastic shots and perspective there. Looks like some really nice architecture. The last shot with the pidegeon is very well-timed and framed.

I haven't been here in a while, here is some new and newish stuff.

3694742832_ef4a482cf4_o.jpg

3737903203_31aa2bc571_o.jpg

3737903761_1d6d375d8b_o.jpg

3738696840_88789050d1_o.jpg

3738697850_7ef6a16025_o.jpg

Flyingman on
    PAsig-1.gif
    edited July 2009
    Munin - I like 2 and 3. A lot of interesting lines there and good comps.

needOptic on
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, I hear there's a photothread in here, right?

swdee: the shot of the kid upside-down is fantastic.

birds.jpg

Jake! on
  • StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This forest is surprisingly lush for being in the heart of northern virginia.

3737326319_49d7a90be1.jpg

3737333037_5ed424fe96.jpg

Almost expect to see a t-rex stomp by or something.

Stregone on
    edited July 2009
    Stregone wrote: »
    This forest is surprisingly lush for being in the heart of northern virginia.

3737326319_49d7a90be1.jpg[img][/img]

3737333037_5ed424fe96.jpg[img][/img]

Almost expect to see a t-rex stomp by or something.

Forests are hard to shoot because there is just so much going on. You should try isolating a single subject in pictures like these or waiting for some interesting light streaming through to make the picture more dynamic.

CommunistCow on
  • dagookfatherdagookfather Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Muninn: I really love the bird picture on the end.

I wish I would have picked a different perspective, but when I'm drunk, and riding a bicycle with 600 strangers, I'm lucky if I even pull out my camera and figure out how to use it.

I'll spare you guys the shots of random girls stripping at the bar afterwards...

3733681942_6d3cba0b63_o.jpg

dagookfather on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haven't been shooting much lately, but I did get to do a recent shoot down at The Bitter End on Bleecker. because of some really awkward stage lighting, or rather my inability to deal with it well, I wasn't able to get a lot of shots that I really liked. A few came out all right, though, and the band was really happy.

20090705-IMG_6353.jpg

20090705-IMG_6254.jpg

20090705-IMG_6309.jpg

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
    edited July 2009
    Muninn: I really love the bird picture on the end.

I wish I would have picked a different perspective, but when I'm drunk, and riding a bicycle with 600 strangers, I'm lucky if I even pull out my camera and figure out how to use it.

I'll spare you guys the shots of random girls stripping at the bar afterwards...

3733681942_6d3cba0b63_o.jpg[IMG][/img]

Oh Happy Thursday bike rides you are so wacky. Are the Denver ones full of Burning Man people too? I know the Boulder ones certainly are.

CommunistCow on
  • erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So many pictures!! Comments soon...

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_9999_11.jpg

IMG_9999_16.jpg

IMG_9994.jpg

and a super-closeup:

IMG_9999_30.jpg

erisian pope on
  • UberslugUberslug Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Love those leaves dude, but I think they definitely look better in color.

Uberslug on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stregone wrote: »
    dawg

Oh man, he looks sooooo happy. :D

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.