As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys, I need some help improving one of the PCs in my game. The other folks are all contributing and making kills and having fun, but this guy just seems to be a little lame compared to the rest. I'd rather not have him feel like he's the 'weak' member of the party, so I was hoping you guys could help me impove the guys build to be more effective. i.e. help me min/max a broken character.

First off; about the concept:
    The character is an outcast Eladrin who, disgusted with the haughty decadence of high elf society, has spurned his heritage and instead seeks to engage and foster human culture, who he sees as a young and dynamic force in the world compared to Elven stagnance and decay. Using the advantages of Elven mobility, he cuts a dynamic and inspiring path through the battlefield, weaving and twisting the combat to suit him and his allies.

Secondly, about the player:
    The dude is one of my good friends, and he's a great guy, but I'm going to be honest here: he has some faults when it comes to D&D. While he knows the rules, he doesn't ever seem to know how to use them to his advantage; he suffers from a lack of imagination that leads to both poor roleplaying (descriptively) and poor tactical decision making. While everyone makes stupid mistakes now and then that lead to disaster, he makes them more frequently and consistantly than anybody else; I know at least one of my other players plays more conservatively because she doesn't trust him to make sound tactical decisions on the battlefield.

The character sheet:
    Shackles, level 5
    Eladrin, Warlord

Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 17.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 17
    HP: 49 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +10, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +10, Heal + 7, History + 10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +2, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Endurance -1, Insight, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Improved Inspiring Word
    Level 2: Toughness
    Level 4: Weapon prof (Spiked Chain)

POWERS
    Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
    Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
    Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
    Warlord daily 1: Stand the Fallen
    Warlord utility 2: Aid the Injured
    Warlord encounter 3: Inspiring War Cry
    Warlord daily 5: Bastion of Defense

ITEMS
    Dynamic Dagger +2
    Mithral Chain +1
    Acrobatic Boots (heroic tier)
    Bag of Holding (heroic tier)
    Spiked Gauntlets
    Crossbow

Other stuff:
    This guys performance is well below the others. I'm not sure if it's because his build is so poor, or he's making shit decisions, or just because he seems like he's doing not much but he actually is because his play style is so... bland.

The party is leveling up to 6th level this week, so there's an opportunity to pick up a new feat, retrain, etc. and improve this mess.

The party other than the Warlord consists of an agile trickster Rogue, a twin weapon ranger and a shielding Swordmage.

His use of At-wills is negligable. He use Commander's Strike about once or twice and encounter; wolf pack tactics gets used about every other encounter.

Also: The Dynamic dagger was given to him to encourage a round of ranged combat and dagger throwing before he gets into combat. Nope. First round, draw dagger, transform to spiked chain, charge enemies. *smack head*

The Mithral was a plot item that served it purpose; I'm throwing a Rust Monster his way so he can convert it back to a light armour.

I guess I've got a few ideas about what he could do to get back into the game, but I'm just not good enough on the rules of players to optimise this thing; I'd like some other folks to look over it and make some suggestions, preferably without binning the whole thing and starting over. Ideally, I'd just like to work with the guy on his level up and bring him back into line with the rest of the party, but I think he needs more than retraining a single ability/power/feat.

So please, make some suggestions.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    What is this 'pathfinder' thing?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pathfinder is what Paizo did when WotC pulled their publishing license on Dragon Mag and they decided not to buy a 4ed licence. It builds on the OGL for 3.5, improving it's shortcoming and making sort of '3.75' D&D. It keeps more of the skills and more interesting ways to use them, and a lot more feat trees and the like to balance classes, rather than 4ed exceptions and powers based system.

It's a fairly solid system, particularly if you preferred 3.5 to 4ed D&D.

Fishman on
    edited July 2009
    Enlightening!

I prefer 4E.

Oh and I got a hold of Spirit of the Century. This is the same system as Dresden Files will use right?

I should read it now.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    from the looks of it Fishman, he doesn't quite get how to work with the character, or he has an idea of what he wants and is trying to get there in some fashion. I wish i was better at warlords cause then i might have some advice, but you might suggest dropping the spike chain gimmick? maybe pick up eladrin solider and have him use a polearm or something?

Melding on
    edited July 2009
    I suspect he doesn't quite know how to make his character stats work with the way he wants to play; his natural tendancy to create turtling tanks is at odds with the concept of an agile swashbuckling master of battle, hence his high-dex Warlord build.

Dropping the Spiked Chain was something I hadn't thought of; it was one of the first features of the character and so I hadn't really considered it. I suspect he might like to hold on to it, but I'll definitely look into it, thanks.

Fishman on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Next week mutants and masterminds:

Burning, you can choose your character (Mikko or Pavel)
    Marsh, Jasper seems to be your only option
    DE?AD, while you technically could play the Wheelman, play your new guy
    Fabricate, well, both of your dudes are kidnapped. So if you want, play zombie JFK, or borrow one of the many characters DE?AD and I have sitting around collecting dust.

It will be a tough session, but, y'know, should be fun.

Straightzi on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pavel feels bad about abandoning the team.

Pavel will play next session.

Burning Organ on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the fun game, Quetz, never before have I had the pleasure of slicing up asps with throwing knives made out of folded up hamburger receipts.

Looking forward to rocking the tesla gun again though.

Marshmallow on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trying out the character builder
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    R-66Y, level 1
    Warforged, Swordmage
    Build: Assault Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 15, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 11, Cha 9.

AC: 18 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
    HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +8, Endurance +10, Athletics +7, Insight +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering, Heal, History +3, Intimidate +1, Nature, Perception, Religion +3, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Improved Swordbond

POWERS
    Swordmage at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
    Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
    Swordmage encounter 1: Foesnare
    Swordmage daily 1: Whirling Blade

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Magic Scimitar +1, Leather Armor
    RITUALS
    Create Campsite
    FORMULAS
    Antivenom

Antimatter on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Regarding the character builder, I wish they'd included more stuff with the Psionic teaser, but can't really complain about getting anything at all this early. The idea is pretty neat, but I've always preferred telekinetic psionics to telepathic.

Cilla Black on
    edited July 2009
    Reading the Spirit of the Century book.

Sounds cool as fuck!

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I'm wondering how viable this character would be to play, as the closest I've come to playing D&D is stuff like BG and NWN.
    Baden, level 1
    Shadar-kai, Rogue
    Build: Cutthroat Rogue
    Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Reflex: 16 Will: 13
    HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +11, Thievery +9, Acrobatics +11, Athletics +5, Streetwise +8, Intimidate +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +1, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History +1, Insight, Nature, Perception, Religion +1

FEATS
    Level 1: Life on the Edge

POWERS
    Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
    Rogue at-will 1: Disheartening Strike
    Rogue encounter 1: Positioning Strike
    Rogue daily 1: Handspring Assault

ITEMS
    Leather Armor, Climber's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Adventurer's Kit, Magic Short sword +1

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd put your eight score in intelligence and boost your strength score a tiny bit, but that's just me

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Looks like it would work fine, yeah. curious as why you have a magic short sword though.

Melding on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Originally it was just a regular one, don't know why I changed it.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fishman wrote: »
    Hey guys, I need some help improving one of the PCs in my game. The other folks are all contributing and making kills and having fun, but this guy just seems to be a little lame compared to the rest. I'd rather not have him feel like he's the 'weak' member of the party, so I was hoping you guys could help me impove the guys build to be more effective. i.e. help me min/max a broken character.

First off; about the concept:
    The character is an outcast Eladrin who, disgusted with the haughty decadence of high elf society, has spurned his heritage and instead seeks to engage and foster human culture, who he sees as a young and dynamic force in the world compared to Elven stagnance and decay. Using the advantages of Elven mobility, he cuts a dynamic and inspiring path through the battlefield, weaving and twisting the combat to suit him and his allies.

Secondly, about the player:
    The dude is one of my good friends, and he's a great guy, but I'm going to be honest here: he has some faults when it comes to D&D. While he knows the rules, he doesn't ever seem to know how to use them to his advantage; he suffers from a lack of imagination that leads to both poor roleplaying (descriptively) and poor tactical decision making. While everyone makes stupid mistakes now and then that lead to disaster, he makes them more frequently and consistantly than anybody else; I know at least one of my other players plays more conservatively because she doesn't trust him to make sound tactical decisions on the battlefield.

The character sheet:
    Shackles, level 5
    Eladrin, Warlord

Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 17.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 17
    HP: 49 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +10, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +10, Heal + 7, History + 10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +2, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Endurance -1, Insight, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Improved Inspiring Word
    Level 2: Toughness
    Level 4: Weapon prof (Spiked Chain)

POWERS
    Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
    Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
    Warlord encounter 1: Hammer and Anvil
    Warlord daily 1: Stand the Fallen
    Warlord utility 2: Aid the Injured
    Warlord encounter 3: Inspiring War Cry
    Warlord daily 5: Bastion of Defense

ITEMS
    Dynamic Dagger +2
    Mithral Chain +1
    Acrobatic Boots (heroic tier)
    Bag of Holding (heroic tier)
    Spiked Gauntlets
    Crossbow

Other stuff:
    This guys performance is well below the others. I'm not sure if it's because his build is so poor, or he's making shit decisions, or just because he seems like he's doing not much but he actually is because his play style is so... bland.

The party is leveling up to 6th level this week, so there's an opportunity to pick up a new feat, retrain, etc. and improve this mess.

The party other than the Warlord consists of an agile trickster Rogue, a twin weapon ranger and a shielding Swordmage.

His use of At-wills is negligable. He use Commander's Strike about once or twice and encounter; wolf pack tactics gets used about every other encounter.

Also: The Dynamic dagger was given to him to encourage a round of ranged combat and dagger throwing before he gets into combat. Nope. First round, draw dagger, transform to spiked chain, charge enemies. *smack head*

The Mithral was a plot item that served it purpose; I'm throwing a Rust Monster his way so he can convert it back to a light armour.

I guess I've got a few ideas about what he could do to get back into the game, but I'm just not good enough on the rules of players to optimise this thing; I'd like some other folks to look over it and make some suggestions, preferably without binning the whole thing and starting over. Ideally, I'd just like to work with the guy on his level up and bring him back into line with the rest of the party, but I think he needs more than retraining a single ability/power/feat.

So please, make some suggestions.

As for abilities, the Dexterity does not appear to be doing anything for him; Most of his attacks are Strength (so only +2 to-hit and bonus damage), while Charisma amplifies several Inspiration powers. That 11 in Wisdom isn't any more effective to his skills than a 10, and he'll have a hard time noticing the difference.

His Int is wasted either by being too low for the powers that use it (like Commander's Strike) or he's wasting his training on powers that don't take advantage of his inspirational build (and characterization). I won't suggest he change builds from his character concept, so different powers might be a good route, like Furious Smash.

But ultimately an extra +5-10% hit rate or 1-2 points of damage isn't going to help bad tactics or party support. Wolf Pack is a solid exploit and he should be using it with the Swordmage or Ranger to gain combat advantage every turn, especially with a reach weapon.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The first game Dark Heresy, concentrates on agents of the Inquisition; two other games in the line are planned, with the working titles of Rogue Trader - which will cover interstellar travel, traders, and Xenos - and Deathwatch - which will allow players to create Space Marines. With Games Workshop's decision to shut down Black Industries and transfer the rights for all of Black Industries' RPGs to Fantasy Flight Games the future of the line was in doubt, but Fantasy Flight have announced that they do intend to release Rogue Trader and Deathwatch to complete Black Industries' original vision for the line.

Oh my goodness
    wiki
    [cite needed, lol]

aw jeah

DouglasDanger on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've always been kind of curious in the 40k universe as to how Rogue Traders worked exactly, so far as travel. There are apparently a lot of them working autonomously, yet you need Navigators to really travel anywhere in a non-insane amount of time, and the three-eyed freaks don't really grow on trees.

Cilla Black on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you can apparently play as a navigator in Rogue Trader. I read it somewhere on this page.

I've never played or collected wh40k, but I waste a lot of time reading about the setting. I've read a couple of the DH books, the player's book and that one expansion book with the... Angry Armored Nun-Vixen with Big Gun on the front. I really enjoy the setting. I'm definitely going to buy the Rogue Trader book when it comes out. I read it is supposed to be out for GenCon09, which is in August.

DouglasDanger on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've always been kind of curious in the 40k universe as to how Rogue Traders worked exactly, so far as travel. There are apparently a lot of them working autonomously, yet you need Navigators to really travel anywhere in a non-insane amount of time, and the three-eyed freaks don't really grow on trees.

well, the thing with Rogue Traders is they aren't just random dudes who run freight

they are special houses with letters of marque from the High Lords of Terra themselves, and that these letters of marque have been passed down over generations through the Rogue Trader houses.

the houses themselves are retarded rich, so, it wouldn't surprise me if they were able to employ Navigators.

Pony on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, these avenger dudes are some pretty hateful mother fuckers aren't they?

You know, this book is starting to grow on me

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Did... Anyone else own the books of Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness?

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man, these avenger dudes are some pretty hateful mother fuckers aren't they?

You know, this book is starting to grow on me

goooooooooooooooooooood

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited July 2009
    Wait until you see an avenger in action, they are amazingly badass.

EDIT: Most of the classes are pretty badass in action, really.

Marshmallow on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys a GURPS supplement came into work today.

It showed how to play GURPS set in The Village.

Yes, that Village.

prisoner.jpg

Shorty on
    edited July 2009
    I just happen to be watching those DVDs.

I'm not sure I could do it justice as a DM. At least, not without spiking my player's coke with grain alcohol.

Fishman on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    goddamn I love the Prisoner

it was so fucking good

INFORMATION

INFORMATION

Shorty on
    edited July 2009
    Did... Anyone else own the books of Exalted Deeds and Vile Darkness?

i owned the former, but not the latter

book of exalted deeds was full of the most broken-ass shit, in terms of feats and stuff, my god

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    I read a fair bit of both in bookstores. They were stunningly awful stuff if I remember correctly, all of the worst parts of the alignment system available in a handy two book set.

Marshmallow on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought for a moment that a wuthering heights RPG might actually exist

thank you for that moment of existential horror

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited July 2009
    I read a fair bit of both in bookstores. They were stunningly awful stuff if I remember correctly, all of the worst parts of the alignment system available in a handy two book set.

yep

they were like what people on the wizards of the coast message boards think alignment should be

but in a book!

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Um, there is, albeit a very simple one. It is linked in the OP.

Marshmallow on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I've spent longer extolling the virtues of GURPS sourcebooks rather than playing it- but that's because there's so much virtue to extol

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vow of Poverty Monk = super broken

Squall on
    edited July 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    Vow of Poverty Monk = super broken

or VoP + Druid

Pony on
    edited July 2009
    I think I made a Vow of Poverty Fighter once for funsies, he had an absurd amount of feats by level 20.

Marshmallow on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The campaign I'm in right now has a VoP Paladin/Saint.

The Saint bit makes his character really hard to kill.

Immunity to almost every element, DR 10/evil, plus fast healing 5.

I mean we are at level 14, but Sainthood is just so good.

Squall on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I think I've spent longer extolling the virtues of GURPS sourcebooks rather than playing it- but that's because there's so much virtue to extol

You should be extolling the virtues of Rifts instead

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Um, there is, albeit a very simple one. It is linked in the OP.

There's a review for it on The Forge where it implies there were a few more rules within the english rules (the French version apparently had a retarded number of extra rules for stuff that aint got a business in gothic romance). Still keeping my eyes peeled for the actual PDF.

So I was thinking the premise for a PA Wuthering Heights tragedy is that John Gabriel dies and his friends and family must split up his estate when his will is discovered to have simply left 'everything' to his 'peeps'. All his friends and relatives argue with and plot against eachother over who he liked most and who has sentimental value over what stuff. Duels, murders, and professed homosexual love ensue.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
This discussion has been closed.