As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crayon Drawings Are Pretty

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
So I mentioned to my five year old, Maddie, that there was a forum where people posted the pretty pictures they made. Maddie loves to draw, and she loves to show off her work, and she asked me to post some of her drawings here. Yes, I know you're not supposed to post the works of other people, but she is adorable and has me wrapped around her finger.

So.

Here we have a picture of Maddie in what she considers a very pretty dress. She likes flowers.

maddiedrawing1.jpg

The next three works are part of a series that she did all in a row. While she makes really cute drawings of kitties and puppies and princesses, I really like her more abstract work, where she just kinda dicks around with shape and color. She first started with a rainbow, though she subverted the normal color arrangement and instead had the gradation occur along the length of the rainbow, rather than from outside to inside. (Note: when she explained this to me, she did not actually use the word "subverted.")

maddiedrawing4.jpg

Next she colored some thick, vertical lines, and drew some hearts over them:

maddiedrawing3.jpg

Last is my favorite. Just a series of color squiggles dropping down demarcated regions, with her name in rainbow colors on the right side. Maddie would point out that the colors of her name and of the left-most column are in order, while the ones in the middle are not. She thought it would be pretty if they were different.

maddiedrawing2.jpg

Thank you for playing along. You have a made a little five year old girl very happy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Her anatomy is off.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    It's not her fault; she had a bad model.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I must complement her on using the proper order of rainbow colors in the writing of her name.

Clearly, she is well schooled in EM wavelengths.

And yes, I never thought Indigo was valid color entry anyway. I commend her for leaving it out.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited July 2009
    Indigo is the worst color.

Actually, she really likes indigo (I think she mostly likes saying the name), but she stopped using it in her rainbows a few months ago. Not sure why.

ElJeffe on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Her dress is very pretty :)

lyrium on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love the drawings of children, because they are pure concept and no object. It's a cool effect.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this is so adorable

Loomdun on
    splat
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I wish I drew more when I was a kid.

Phthano on
    edited July 2009
    I drew all the time as a kid. Around this age, I was drawing skyscrapers on the side of volcanoes being attacked by dragons. I couldn't be hassled with such girly stuff as kitties and rainbows.

Maddie drew a skyscraper once. It was in the shape of a heart. All the windows were pink.

She's such a girl.

ElJeffe on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yeah, where are the dinosaurs fighting evil robots with laser eyes?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Maddie_drawover.jpg

Here I did a draw over for you to show you what I mean. I put arrows all over the place to clarify.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I approve of this. It's awesome.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    It's an excellent dress

for a clown to wear

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    These look just like my drawings!

MagicToaster on
  • FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The dress is pretty great. Also love the flower. Because flowers rule. I don't care what you dinosaur lovers say.

Fantasyrogue on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love the drawings of children, because they are pure concept and no object. It's a cool effect.

I wouldn't necessarily call it pure concept and no object, at this age children are still building upon the imagery and symbols they use so it is still objective but the conceptual side is more available it is very abstract and less concerned with physical reality than with representation. It's pretty cool, even though the forms are rather primitive and unrefined, the concepts and abstraction are rather advanced - most people have to relearn how to do this stuff as they get older.

Veritas on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Veritas wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily call it pure concept and no object, at this age children are still building upon the imagery and symbols they use so it is still objective but the conceptual side is more available it is very abstract and less concerned with physical reality than with representation. It's pretty cool, even though the forms are rather primitive and unrefined, the concepts and abstraction are rather advanced - most people have to relearn how to do this stuff as they get older.

A la Howard Gardner.

Also, I like pretty pictures.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have a request! put a cup in front of your daughter and ask her to draw it. I wanna see if she draws the bottom of it as a straight line. One of the teachers I had said something about kids having no problem drawing the top relatively in perspective but always draw the bottom as a straight line.

Kendeathwalker on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thats a cool experiment!

MagicToaster on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If that interests you, Ken, you should read this book.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Also, my reference was to this book, which deals with much of the same: Art, Mind, and Brain.

It's rather old (Circa 1984), but deals entirely with creative development and tries to really establish a definition for "what is creativity, and what defines art". I don't think he really gives an answer, but he presents enough information for you to kind of make your own decisions. It's a good read.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited July 2009
    I have a request! put a cup in front of your daughter and ask her to draw it. I wanna see if she draws the bottom of it as a straight line. One of the teachers I had said something about kids having no problem drawing the top relatively in perspective but always draw the bottom as a straight line.

I tried this. I'm too lazy to scan it in right now, but the results were interesting. She basically drew exactly what the cup looked like, with an ellipse for the top and a curved bottom. The lines weren't the straightest, but she did pretty much exactly recreate the form of the cup. She also darkened in the bottom, where the thickened glass made it appear less transparent (it was a glass cup). And she drew the vertical lines around the cup, as well. Ah, hell, I'll just scan it in anyway:

maddiecup.jpg

She also got the vertical lines around the side of the cup. She does have pretty good attention to detail.

The interesting part was when, afterwards, she decided the glass should contain some strawberry-banana juice. She drew a flat line representing the top edge of the liquid, then colored it in (somewhat sloppily - she can easily stay in the lines when she wants to, but she generally lacks the patience).

ElJeffe on
  • PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should read and explain the Loomis books to her and try to get her to draw them. That would be interesting.

Phthano on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    your daughter has the makings of a virtuoso if shes grasping draw what you see not what you think so early on her own. Now just ship her off to the academy in Moscow or florence.

Kendeathwalker on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    She also got the vertical lines around the side of the cup. She does have pretty good attention to detail.

The interesting part was when, afterwards, she decided the glass should contain some strawberry-banana juice. She drew a flat line representing the top edge of the liquid, then colored it in (somewhat sloppily - she can easily stay in the lines when she wants to, but she generally lacks the patience).

That is pretty impressive! I almost want to see more experiments.

(Have her draw this and this and this and...)

NightDragon on