As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AoC] Age of Conan: Now F2P and stuff

• Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Funcom still owes me a refund.

They sold me software that did not include the features it said it would.

Fraudcom is Fraudcom

also: this game is so bad. so so bad.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the combat system. What's the problem?

Anyway, if anyone is on Tyranny I have a lvl 80 PoM that I'm... re-evaluating. I wish we still had the guild going. Broodax was the shit.

The combat problems occur when a melee character fights a magic user* in PvP.

*not a mouth-breather

Shens on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Okay, balance aside, the combat system itself is fun. I like making the combos go bam bam bam!

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2009
    How does stamina regen work in combat anyway? Feels like I run out of stamina if the fights are too long and then I can't do shit.

Echo on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried this about a month ago and it seems really stable, which is good. The combat is as decent as ever.

But I hate Tortage (though the idea is not bad) and they seem to like forcing you to cut it close---the damn volcano is as hard as ever.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »

Fraudcom is Fraudcom

Funcom gave Derek Smart his Ph.D.

GungHo on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Stumbling away from the bar (in a real dive) the other night, I decided to check my e-mail as I took a piss in the broken urinal while avoiding the puddles of puke, and saw that I have a free 14-days on my account.

Is this game still less fun than avoiding puddles of puke while taking a piss, or should I give it another go?

Teth on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Teth wrote: »
    Stumbling away from the bar (in a real dive) the other night, I decided to check my e-mail as I took a piss in the broken urinal while avoiding the puddles of puke, and saw that I have a free 14-days on my account.

Is this game still less fun than avoiding puddles of puke while taking a piss, or should I give it another go?

I am currently downloading the game as we speak. I played it at release, but (like the thread title says) quickly quit.

Still, you can't beat free. Or can you?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen, I'll come poke you in the side of the head with a sewing needle for 14 days, free of charge.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Axen, I'll come poke you in the side of the head with a sewing needle for 14 days, free of charge.

Can't beat free.

I got an e-mail saying 'Hey your 61 Barbarian is ready to welcome you back for free!'. At first I thought 'I don't remember getting above the level cap.'

I Got about 10% done downloading, then realized "Oh yeah, level 80! Oh hey wait! Fuck the PVP because of the fucking PoMs and the unbalanced bullshit" and stopped.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »

Fraudcom is Fraudcom

This is the game that made me never pre-oder any game ever again that doesn't say "Shin Megami Tensei" on the cover. Those are my exceptions.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Outside of the PvP, Age of Conan's really not a bad game.

Problem is, it's a PvP oriented game.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I'm having fun with it. It got a really bad rep at launch.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Echo wrote: »

I'm having fun with it. It got a really bad rep at launch.

My buddy and I are back in this. Well for him its his first time, trying out the trial. We are level 14 and enjoying the game. However, as I recall I enjoyed the game last time till I left Tortage.

I am on the Wiccana(sp?) server. It's a PvE server since I remember PvP being annoying last time.

I am still impressed at how great the game looks and how well it runs on my system.

Axen on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eh, I'm sure they've fixed alot of things but I'm really enjoying myself way to much with LotRO at the moment to give this another shake. Besides, the best fun (like any mmo) was had running around with friends, and I don't know anybody playing anymore.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    My buddy and I are back in this. Well for him its his first time, trying out the trial. We are level 14 and enjoying the game. However, as I recall I enjoyed the game last time till I left Tortage.

I am on the Wiccana(sp?) server. It's a PvE server since I remember PvP being annoying last time.

I am still impressed at how great the game looks and how well it runs on my system.

It is a very pretty game, to be sure. The last major patch (1.5) really streamlined things and made it run a lot smoother. The lighting effects have improved in the last couple of months as well.

I've got a 65 Ranger (Lamika) on Wiccana, if you guys wanted some help clearing out early areas once you've left Tortage.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

It is a very pretty game, to be sure. The last major patch (1.5) really streamlined things and made it run a lot smoother. The lighting effects have improved in the last couple of months as well.

I've got a 65 Ranger (Lamika) on Wiccana, if you guys wanted some help clearing out early areas once you've left Tortage.

Wait, they finally got 1.5 out the door? How do the class rebalances and tree restructuring look for the classes? From what I remember, 1.5 just completely changes how a lot of things work.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, they finally got 1.5 out the door? How do the class rebalances and tree restructuring look for the classes? From what I remember, 1.5 just completely changes how a lot of things work.

Yes, 1.05 (forgot the 0 in the first post) went out about 3 weeks ago.

I can't talk for other classes as the Ranger is my main, and is the only one I've spent a significant amount of time with since the patch went out. They've more or less nerfed DPS with a bow spec ranger, but an Xbow ranger is pretty much second to a properly spec Demonologist for pure DPS in raids and PvE now.

Both ranger specs have taken a major step back in PvP though, they're middle of the road for PvP now and absolutely suck at dueling.

Tempests of Set and HoX's seem realitivly unchanged from what I've seen. Not too sure about the melee classes.

The biggest change has definitely been in the armor and weapons stats. They've done away with a lot of the more out-there DoT stuff on weapons, and the armor stats are a lot easier to understand (no more % stuff, just nice round numbers like most MMOs) and armor actually seems to make a difference now, especially on raids.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is it still impossible to do anything at low levels on a PvP server because every time you step foot away from a guard, you get beset upon by a horde of rangers?

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    They sent me a followup to tell me I was missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. I was also offered the fortune of a Nigerian prince. I'm not sure which road I should take.

GungHo on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    They sent me a followup to tell me I was missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. I was also offered the fortune of a Nigerian prince. I'm not sure which road I should take.

Nigerian prince sounds more believable.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After playing WoW for so long you really notice the lack of polish and design in other MMOs.

AoC has horribly disjointed quests. WoW (at least in Wrath) has quest hubs with a bunch of quests and then a breadcrumb followup that sends you to other quest hubs.

AoC just feels messy in the quest department. The first things you see when you're done in Tortage and sent to your homeland are... a couple of guys with quests to the other regions, because you get sent to the travel hub.

Echo on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Edit: This was posted in the wrong thread entirely, for some reason.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I couldn't stick with AoC in the end, because

A) The combat in PvP felt cumbersome at best. And they kept making changes to the system until it was just an ever so slightly fancier version of regular MMO combat.

B) Bugs. Jesus. So many.

C) Lack of coherent world. It was just random fragments of a world and it was handled really poorly.

D) Lack of Content (during launch, this was abysmal)

E) Lack of Endgame. Once you reach 80, the already dull world became even duller. This game was advertised as being a PvP game, and the endgame in the PvP department is absolutely horrible, even a full year after release.

The multiple instances/zone didn't help either.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I am lvl 25 now. Still enjoying myself. I must say the game does do a good job of making you feel like a badass adventurer. My buddy and I are in the Valley for Cimmeria I forget its name.

We spent a great deal of time climbing a mountain just to kill a giant yeti at the top. Quite awesome. I took a screen shot. I really wish I had turned up the graphics to max first though. It really doesn't do the game justice for how good it looks.
    aoctop.jpg

Still I am only a few lvls into the "real" AoC. Time will tell if my enjoyment keeps up.

I have done a few "battleground" matches. So far it has been a fun diversion and (not sure if this was just a fluke) each time my team actually worked together.

My main complaint so far is the gear and how it all looks the same. My guy is lvl 25 and his armor looks exactly the same as it did at lvl 5! Being a Conqueror I am lucky in that I will be moving on to heavy armor, then full plate. I feel sorry for medium armor users, and possibly light and cloth though I have seen much more variation of those two armor types.

I have had a steady stream of different looking weapons though, so that is nice.

If Funcom keeps up with these updates, which I guess they will be, then things look optimistic to me. I am curious to see what they unveil about the expansion at PAX.

For anyone interested, here is what Patch v1.05 has done.
    New Content - Tarantia Commons released!

Tarantia Commons can now be visited by high level players seeking new quests and encounters! The urban underbelly of King Conan’s capital city is rife with social unrest, unscrupulous characters, poverty and villainy…a perfect place for discovering new adventures!

Complete with new quests, new instanced encounters, great new boss fights and dynamic social events Tarantia Commons awaits those brave enough to try and make a name for themselves on its unforgiving streets!

You can read more about Tarantia Commons here.

RPG Systems Revamp

The changes to the RPG system are now live! Items will now have much easier to understand statistics and relative power levels. Among the highlights of the system changes are the new armor protection system, improved abilities (Strength, Dexterity etc all mean more to your character now), new easier to understand combat ratings and pets now gain power from their masters items. In addition there are changes for every class to feat trees, abilities, spells and combos.

You can find the details of the systems changes here.

You can find the details of the class changes here.

Furthermore due to the changes in the system everyone’s feat respect cost has been reset to allow for greater experimentation with the new feats (and it has been capped at 10g for the future as well!)

New Gem crafting system

This update brings with it a completely overhauled gem crafting system. Offering great new options for players and more dynamic customization possibilities you can find all the details on the changes here.

New City-life Features

Guild cities now offer even more rewards. With new rewards for certain tiers of buildings including new social NPCs that will inhabit your cities, new travel NPCs, new vendors with new social pets and a unique new Path of Comrades option that allows you to transport back to your guild city from anywhere in the world. You find more information on these changes here.

Hundreds of other updates, tweaks and changes

There are literally hundreds of other improvements in this update, with highlights including PVP XP rewards for winning mini-games, new rez pad locations in popular zones, new crates of potions to allow you to purchase in bulk, mounts are now abilities so they don’t take up space in your inventory and a whole host of other fixes and adjustments.

You can find the full update notes here.

Axen on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just got back in for the free 2 weeks they offered and I'm havin' fun as a Ranger

If you on Gwahlur hit up Korahn, only level 12 right now.

Planning to change that in a few minutes.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is the game still a not-so-massive-morpg? That is, every single little piece of map, including cities, has about a dozen instances where players run aroud in parallel, not actually being able to see each other or interact?

Also, does the game still zone for every little door, house, shack, cellar or hole you want to enter? When I got the game and discovered that the game loaded and teleported you inside the first town, and then, five steps later, loaded and teleported you inside the tavern, I thought I was back in... I don't know 1999? I never played Everquest, but not even Dark Age of Camelot was this bad and that's seven years old technology now.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wha? The game was never instanced that heavily outside of Tortage. Tortage is an exception.

Echo on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    Wha? The game was never instanced that heavily outside of Tortage. Tortage is an exception.

If Tortage was not instanced, it would literally be impossible to level a new character! What with being ganked the second you leave a safe area.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Actually at release there were multiple instances of the outdoor zones and you could switch between them at will. The game would just pop up a new one when it hit its "limit". Dunno if they're still doing that though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Actually at release there were multiple instances of the outdoor zones and you could switch between them at will. The game would just pop up a new one when it hit its "limit". Dunno if they're still doing that though.

I have never seen any since I started playing. The option is still there, but when you click it it says "No instances found".

My guess is the people still hating on this game have yet to play since patch 1.05 dropped. Is the game the greatest MMO I have ever played? No. However it is fun and vastly improved over its initial release.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My guess is the people still hating on this game have yet to play since patch 1.05 dropped. Is the game the greatest MMO I have ever played? No. However it is fun and vastly improved over its initial release.

Agreed on all accounts. I find myself wishing I had 3-4 buddies to play with.

Echo on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Yes, hence my comment. Even with those, levelling wasn't easy. If they weren't there, you'd be dead every time you left the main city.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ranger + Graveyard camping = Grab a Snickers, you aren't going anywhere for a while. All it takes is 1 person being a douchebag, although this only really became an issue if there was only 1 instance of the area you were in.

I decided to pass on the "re-trial" period thats ending tomorrow but a few of my friends played it again. They felt AoC is just now entering the polish levels it should have been at when it was originally launched, and thats not saying much.

One day I might play it again, but that day probably won't come soon. As someone who experienced a lot of technical problems at release, I'm still annoyed with Funcom.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well depending on how many people are now playing, you might not have the instancing because the zones aren't anywhere near their max like they used to be at launch.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    sounds like Par for the course when it comes to funcom. How long did it take them to polish the ultimate turd ? (aka A.O.)

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How are Guardians these days? I almost, kinda, sorta miss this guy.
    armoredtharis.jpg

But they just kept fucking Guardians over again and again (first my specific build, polearms, then soldiers in general, then specifically Guardians).

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I pre-ordered AoC just before the servers hit live.
    I made a few toons, played two of them to 20-ish, post-Tortage, and as much as I enjoyed the game, my poor old computer couldn't handle the graphics outside Tortage. About a month ago I got a major PC upgrade and came back for the free 14 days to check it out.
    It's been about 3 weeks now, I have a level 50 Barb, made a 50 Dark Templar with the freebie 50 and now he's 58, and so far I can say that I am enjoying the game.
    The environments are breathtaking. There is nothing like climbing a very large hill/mountain and staring all about you into valleys, peering off to peaks far off. I feel the game has a...hmm.."realistic" look and feel, most of the time. You do eventually get tired of watching the same old Fatalities, over and over, especially the ones that seem to take way too bloody long. I like the beheadings personally, fast and to the point.
    Met up with a ToS around level 42 and we've been tearing up quests. We're in what I like to call the "Eggo Mountains" since I can never remember how to pronounce that shit, and the game is still relatively enjoyable. I wasn't around for most of the bugs and balance issues 90% of the people here have the right to complain about, but what I can say from a 12-year-MMO-veteran is that the game is very decent right now. Enough to make me re-subscribe. And, I can't comment on end-game material, but I can say that while the Set server seems a bit underpopulated, I see people forming raid groups at all hours of the day and night, and I'm looking forward to seeing what end-game there is, before I eventually get bored and wander off somewhere else while waiting for "The Next Big Thing" to catch my Shiny-Object-Syndrome and set me up for another letdown. (Currently SW:TOR, of course).

Sorry for the Wall of Text.

For anyone curious, my old PC, the first time I tried to play was:
    P4 3.8ghz
    Radeon X1950 Pro
    4g RAM
    Windows XP

Updated:

AMD Athlon X2 7850(2.8ghz) 64-Bit Dual Core CPU
    NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 1GB PCI-E
    6g RAM
    Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium

(I got this entire PC at a very nice price from Newegg, with a 22" widescreen Hanns-G monitor, and soon I'll toss a 9800GT or 260 in it)

You can find me on the Set server as Bloodshed.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I have never seen any since I started playing. The option is still there, but when you click it it says "No instances found".

The reason there were so many instances at release was because there were so many people at release. Each zone got a player cap and when that cap was reached, a new copy of the zone was created and all new arriving people got funneled into the new copy.

I assume you don't see this much anymore because there are not that many people around anymore. I know at release you had around 20+ copies of the resource zones at any given moment. When I played a few months ago, this was no longer the case, and the zones were generally more empty.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    learntoflylearntofly Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So are you guys still playing this on Fury server? I've got a Priest of Mitra up to level 18 today, after finally using my 30 free days, and I'm getting really pissed off at the White Sands and Underhalls. I really just want off this stupid island, but I can't seem to complete any quests what with the being killed by other players all the time.

learntofly on
This discussion has been closed.