As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Civil War and Cyclops...Where do I start?

Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
Hey guys,

I have been wanting to get into the civil war for a while now. Where should I start? I understand that it is a lot of issues/books and I'm not a big comic book guy so I can't make sense of it all.

I have also heard tell that Cyclops is currently the most important character in the Marvel Universe. Clops has always been my favorite from Marvel, so I would love to get into some reads about him too.

Thanks guys, I'm hopeless.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
Godspeed, Ironsides.
Jedi_Boi on

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Check out these books for the Civil War. The main story is told in the Civil War trade by Millar:

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Civil-War/lm/RCIS94643QW9X/ref=cm_lmt_dtpa_f_1_rdssss0?pf_rd_p=253462201&pf_rd_s=listmania-center&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=078512179X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HFD4J2J8F5DVTAX5AZ6#height=150

Cyclops isn't really the most important character in the Marvel universe right now. That honor goes to Norman Osborn. But Cyclops has some good recent moments in Messiah Complex, Manifest Destiny, and especially Astonishing X-Men. All of those are available in trades.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cyclops is arguably the most important person in the X-Men universe. He plays almost no part in the Marvel Universe as a whole.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised if half the heroes in the MU had never heard of Cyclops, that's how insignificant he is in the grand scheme of things.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're interested in Cyclops, Civil War is a horrible place to jump on board. The X-men basically all sat out the Civil War on the grounds of "Fuck you guys, you never gave a shit about helping us out with the Mutant Registration crap, so screw helping you with the Super Powers registration, welcome to our world bitches"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Read Astonishing X-men. It's really good.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Read Astonishing X-men. It's really good.

Basicaly this. Morrison's New X-men segways to Josh Whedon's Astonishing X-men pretty seamlessly and both feature Cyclops heavily. That'll give you a decent backbone for any of the other X-men stories out there,a fair number of which feature Cyclops prominently.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Astonishing made Cyclops awesome again. No question.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Hi! These kinds of questions are better suited for our general comics questions thread, though I believe your question has mostly been answered.

DJ Eebs on
This discussion has been closed.