As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Civilization style games?

oddmentoddment Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
I was torn between putting this in here of H&A, so mods please move this if it's in the wrong place!

I love love love games where you can build up a country, invade other places, stuff like that, and am on the look-out for something new. I've got and played Civ4, same with Rise Of Nations... I may get Colonization too, but wanted to know what else is out there in this kind of mould?

Thanks! :)

PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
oddment84.png
*Thanks Thanatos!
oddment on

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Empire: Total War

I've sunk more time into that game than any game outside of WoW.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i would start with Civ4: Beyond the Sword, if you haven't played it.

TyrantCow on
  • oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have all the extra content for Civ4... I bought the complete edition (before complete meant Colonization aswell).

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This a million times... its still not completely perfect (AI gets retarded with star forts)... but I can't stop playing it.

ethicalsean on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

This a million times... its still not completely perfect (AI gets retarded with star forts)... but I can't stop playing it.

I used to say Shadow of the Colossus was the best broken game I ever played, but that has since been replaced by Empire: Total War.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is my own favourite of the genre.

Xagarath on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

If you can find it.

WotanAnubis on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

If i could lime this harder, i would.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My main problem with SMAC was the high learning curve. With Civilization, the tech trees and governments and what have you are relatively intuitive to learn since they're based on history, but with Alpha Centauri, I'm like faced with Neuro Faceplant Technology & the like and I'm just overwhelmed. I'm sure it's an awesome game once you memorize what everything does.

RainbowDespair on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you're familiar with Civ, then alpha centauri is pretty easy to figure out. Most things in that game have an analog in civ.

Food on
    edited July 2009
    Another game I should have mentioned I own and love is Alpha Centauri. They rereleased that with the expansion in the UK recently for £5. I have the original without expansion, but I'd pay £5 to get it again!

I'm downloading the demo for Empire: Total War from Steam, so I'll give that a shot. Are there any other games that take you through the ages, building up your empire? Anything turn based (I seem to prefer that, though not sure why).

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys! :)

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i wouldnt pick up colonization. i tried it out and was pretty dissapointed. its not at all like a normal civ game. its much more nuanced and micro oriented

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Galactic Civilizations II yet. While I'm not fond of the learning curve of the game, the amount of content and the number of options at your disposable during the course of the game are incredible - even more-so if you have all the expansion packs.

DebaserZbs on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    What about those Anno #### games?

I was thinking about picking up the latest one for the DS.

Sheep on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Empire: Total War isn't a 4X game per se but the series is still good so give it a try

Galactic Civilizations 2 is kickass and shouldn't be missed by anyone. I'm too lazy to get a hold of some review links but the scores are pretty high all around. The developers are really dedicated and listens a lot to the fans for patches. Also, best AI I've ever seen in a game so far. The bastard doesn't start "cheating" (you know, get extra resources and so on) until the really high difficulty levels. I guarantee that you'll get your ass kicked a lot before you that.

[Edit] Beated while writing

Movitz on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is my own favourite of the genre.

A million times this. It's fantasy strategy rather (which is a bit different than the other suggestions so far) but it's absolutely fantastic. The game came out in 2003 and it still has elements that no other game series (to my knowledge) has picked up. If you get it, make sure to download the unofficial 1.4 patch.

Vi Monks on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just looked up Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic on wikipedia and it sounds a whole lot like Master of Magic. If that's the case, I need this game ASAP.

RainbowDespair on
    edited July 2009
    I just looked up Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic on wikipedia and it sounds a whole lot like Master of Magic. If that's the case, I need this game ASAP.

True story: I actually found a copy of Age of Wonders II in its original box in decent condition for $5 in an Eb Games last year. Next to it was No One Lives Forever 2. I bought both, of course! :P

AoW is a great series and it's a damn shame that we've yet to see another one. It's one of those lost gem games that anyone who has played remembers fondly, but no one seems to bring up much anymore.

DebaserZbs on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What mods have you tried for Civ4?

Fall from Heaven is quite good, and itself has a number of mods for it. civfanatics.com has an entire mods section for Civ4 and well over a dozen full conversions that are complete.

If you liked Rise of Nations, you'd probably like Rise of Legends. It wasn't nearly as popular, was missing a number of gameplay elements, but the graphics were pretty cool and the factions played fairly different.

travathian on
    edited July 2009
    oddment wrote: »
    Another game I should have mentioned I own and love is Alpha Centauri. They rereleased that with the expansion in the UK recently for £5. I have the original without expansion, but I'd pay £5 to get it again!

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

Check out the GAME website. That's where I saw it. :)

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
    edited July 2009

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

FUCK YOU WORKING OVERTIME!

*dashes out of the office*

cheers for that!

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2009

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

Wait. WHAT?!

By the way, when the hell is Firaxis going to stop doing Civ4 expansions and finally give us Alpha Centauri II?

DebaserZbs on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

Wait. WHAT?!

£4.75

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

What?
    When?
    Where?

you must tell me!

Wait. WHAT?!

By the way, when the hell is Firaxis going to stop doing Civ4 expansions and finally give us Alpha Centauri II?

When the rights are settled. The IP is still owned by the publisher, I want to say EA.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2009
    Wow, it's like £3 on Amazon now. Awesome. I think I'll be getting that come payday.

So, can someone give me some more info on Galactic Civilizations 2? I did a bit of reading around and it sounds great. There's an Ultimate Edition out with all expansions, I assume thats the one I should get. Anyone know of somewhere cheap to get it in the UK? Any cool stories about the game, or just some explinations as to how it plays would be cool. :)

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
    edited July 2009
    Wow, it's like £3 on Amazon now. Awesome. I think I'll be getting that come payday.

So, can someone give me some more info on Galactic Civilizations 2? I did a bit of reading around and it sounds great. There's an Ultimate Edition out with all expansions, I assume thats the one I should get. Anyone know of somewhere cheap to get it in the UK? Any cool stories about the game, or just some explinations as to how it plays would be cool. :)

It's a turn-based Civilization style game about space economics and warfare. There's a full campaign mode for each expansion and a really wonderful sandbox mode as well. You can design your own ships and even your own race if you like, and the AI does a great job of keeping you on your toes.

You definitely want the ultimate edition because the latest expansion pack gives the game a massive overhaul. Each of the races now has their own custom aesthetics and ships. Oh yeah, and it added a late game superweapon that can blow up planets.

There's no multiplayer, but honestly you don't need it. As I said before, the learning curve can be a tad daunting, but the game really is a modern space masterpiece. I haven't seen as good a space 4x game since Master of Orion II.

Below is a little video about the AI. It's on the dry side, but it gives you a nice understanding of how the game sets up your opponents: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RirsIKnhcFI

DebaserZbs on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gal Civ2 is awesome, but I regret buying it so early (only one expansion) and they've pounded out so many of the damn things by now

BlindPsychic on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Get CalGic from Impulse if you're going to.

It does mean waiting for the download but you'll have to install and register with Impulse to play/update the game anyway. Also it's probably cheaper.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Galactic Civilizations II is indeed awesome, as is Alpha Centauri.

As was mentioned earlier, I would also check out many of the fantastic mods out for Beyond the Sword: Fall from Heaven II (the classic), Planetfall (a great total conversion that turns Civ 4 into Alpha Centauri, good if the original's interface proves too annoying), and Rise of Mankind 2 (almost a new expansion).

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    What about those Anno #### games?

I was thinking about picking up the latest one for the DS.

I played some Anno 1404 on PC. I don't think it's really civ-like. I would compare it more to the Caesar or Settlers games where you build once city and take care of the inhabitants there, managing various production chains and resources. If you liked those type of games, there is a PC demo for Anno 1404 on steam. I don't know much about the DS version, but if its anything like the PC it should be enjoyable. Its nothing revolutionary, especially if you have played the previous Anno games, but if you haven't I recommend them.

Modain on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thorpe wrote: »

As was mentioned earlier, I would also check out many of the fantastic mods out for Beyond the Sword: Fall from Heaven II (the classic), Planetfall (a great total conversion that turns Civ 4 into Alpha Centauri, good if the original's interface proves too annoying), and Rise of Mankind 2 (almost a new expansion).

Wait, what?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    thorpe wrote: »

Wait, what?

Exactly. Still being worked on, but it plays really well even now.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you just ate my Saturday. Thanks a lot!
    No, seriously, thanks. Downloading now.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited July 2009
    I just bought GalCiv2.

i did not need to do this

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    edited July 2009
    I think Gal Civ 2 is cheaper to buy physically... I can find it for about £15. I shall be looking into that on pay day aswell!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    i wouldnt pick up colonization. i tried it out and was pretty dissapointed. its not at all like a normal civ game. its much more nuanced and micro oriented

I like Colonization quite a bit, but yeah, it's pretty different gameplay from Civ. There's little combat until the endgame, and you've got to do a lot of managing your economy (building trade routes to move raw materials from Colony A to be processed in Colony B and then shipped to Europe for sale, moving colonists around within your colonies in order to prioritize production, trying to make sure you don't collapse the market for your luxury items, etc).

...It's more fun than that description probably sounds, but you'll probably be disappointed if you're expecting it to play like Civ.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well Colonization is a remake of the old game, it really doesn't have that much to do with the Civ2 tradition

BlindPsychic on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

True story: I actually found a copy of Age of Wonders II in its original box in decent condition for $5 in an Eb Games last year. Next to it was No One Lives Forever 2. I bought both, of course! :P

AoW is a great series and it's a damn shame that we've yet to see another one. It's one of those lost gem games that anyone who has played remembers fondly, but no one seems to bring up much anymore.

Yes, I would kill for an AoW 3. Instead they took a break from Age of Wonders to make Overlord and Overlord 2. Overlord was interesting and generally fun and all, but its no AoW. Triumph needs to go back to turn-based strategy again.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    warlords. . . 2 deluxe was the last one I played back in like 1992 but maybe 4 might be good. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN