As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My latest animation of Morph an Aardman character

groeneggroeneg Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hello,

I finally got some time to spare and made this funny/crazy/stupid clip (you decide ) starring Morph.
Blood, guts and tears went into this.

I hope you like it as much as I had making it :mrgreen:
The animation on Youtube

Comments and constructive critisism is appreciated :oops:

Cheers
Groeneg

groeneg on

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not bad for starting off. I'd like to see you get a little more ambitious with it, and check into some animation basics. Iruka usually suggests a good book for beginners I think, that should show you how to be more convincing in terms of weight and movement.

Also, try to control your lighting better so you don't get that flicker between frames.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    buy this book

it'll teach you a lot about the basic principals of animation - anticipation, follow-through, squash and stretch, etc. The book is more about 2d animation, but the principals are the same for any method, be it clay, cg or traditional.

Your animation above is a neat experiment, but as Manon suggested, try things a bit more ambitious - have him actually reach and grab objects instead of them just magically drifting into his hands. Go through the steps of a walk cycle. Try to bring a bit more life into it. Alternately, try using an object that isn't poseable at all - a pair of salt shakers, etc - to see if you can bring life into them simply through their motion. Try to use a higher frame speed, you'll be able to get a lot more subtle and lifelike movement through smaller increments at a faster rate than you will using the one frame or so per second on your above video.

And remember - animation is a tedious and sometimes incredibly frustrating artform, but it is incredibly rewarding once you get the hang of it and start learning it in real depth. Don't get discouraged, keep at it.

Also, using the term Aardman isn't really appropriate here - clay animation has been used by all sorts of studios throughout the years, and while Aardman may have been a major influence for you, I'm not sure using their brand name is something they would smile upon.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    haha. freaking funny. im going to do some tonight!

winter_combat_knight on
  • groeneggroeneg Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    show you how to be more convincing in terms of weight and movement.
    This experiment was all about recreating this character with no wire-armature. So I was a bit limited in movement. I liked my work around didn't you :)
    QUOTE=ManonvonSuperock;10935449] I'd like to see you get a little more ambitious with it,
    I like your attitude! This was the most ambitious one until now. Story, sound, effects. But I agree the goal is te become better and its only possible with setting your ambitions higher each time. Point is that its quite time consuming, so thats a big constraint! I normally use a long weekend to make and finish a clip. For any more ambition i have to go beyond that, I believe.
    Also, using the term Aardman isn't really appropriate here - clay animation has been used by all sorts of studios throughout the years, and while Aardman may have been a major influence for you, I'm not sure using their brand name is something they would smile upon.
    Aardman themselfs had a Morph competion some months ago. I just mention their name to make clear they have the trademark and that my clip is about non-commercial fun. I also posted it at their Youtube channel and it was added as response to a ( watch?v=jSMRPKM1evk ) Morph Card trick clip. So I think they are ok with it. :wink:
    The book you mention I know and own a copy:P. I also read some other good books from:
    Ken Priebe, Susannah Shaw, and Peter Lord.
    But reading is something else then understanding and doing good animating :!: So I 'm working on becoming better, thats also why I post, to get some feedback. So thanks for your crits and advice.

Since you seem to know a lot of it, I would love to see some links to animation work of your own. :mrgreen:

groeneg on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Despite this obviously not being ground-breaking animation and perhaps a little rough around the edges -- it actually made me laugh and looked like it was fun to create. I grew up with Morph on TV as a kid. I liked it.

Good work, and hope you can build on it for next time. 8-)

Grenn on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    ah, my bad, wasn't aware of the aardman competition.

most of the animation I've done is basic traditional - I'm an animation student at digipen, just finishing my first year, so all my work I've posted is just tests of that stuff I've done in class, no longer form stuff yet. I've posted most of it in my own thread. I'll be starting work on a year-long project this fall that all the sophomore students participate in, and I'll likely be posting some of my work from it as it develops.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I laughed at the phone vibrating in his hip. Good show.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png