As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pro Wrestling: RIP Captain Lou Albano

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I didn't know any better (and I really do) I would say Bret Hart. Just because of the "Best in the world at what I do". Sounds so much like "Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be."

Yes, I know it will never happen in a million years.

But, I'd say Edge. Or somebody else that they're going to bring up from ECW.

But I only just started rewatching just about the Draft time.

lonelyahava on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It seemed to me in that "2 Strikes" Promo two weeks ago when Punk brought up the drug thing he actually hesitated a bit like he disliked that part of the script. Might be looking to much into it but just what I felt from that promo. I do like this 'new' Punk. Makes him alot more fun to watch.

What I like is that he's not going hard evil. He's just pragmatic, but he shows the occasional twinge of conscience. His hesitation may have been a choice on Punk's part to make it seem like he wasn't certain if it the not cool involved in bringing up Jeff's past was worth the psychological advantage. Similar with how he slowly trudged past while watching Jeff in the Walls of Jericho, rather than not looking and just stalking out, or outright intervening. And that seemingly-spontaneous leap to shove Jeff into the steps.

Shadowen on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So who does everyone think Chris Jericho is going to pick for his partner? I'm sort of at a loss at this point because everyone I would suggest is involved in a match.
    Unless he's still hurt, I'd say Matt Hardy

Hjorvarthr on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh god lets hope not.

Amikron Devalia on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still going with Christian.

Kyougu on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If I didn't know any better (and I really do) I would say Bret Hart. Just because of the "Best in the world at what I do". Sounds so much like "Best there is, best there was, best there ever will be."

Yes, I know it will never happen in a million years.

But, I'd say Edge. Or somebody else that they're going to bring up from ECW.

But I only just started rewatching just about the Draft time.

I keep waiting for Jericho to add "...but what I do isn't very nice." just to complete the Wolverine quote.

If Punker and Ziggler weren't already in title matches, those would be my picks. And I'm assuming by Edge up there you actually mean Christian, which would be pretty cool too.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah. I meant Christian.

I'm a little loopy.

lonelyahava on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He could get Zack Ryder, I can just see the intro song now...
    "Oh, radio..." "Break the waaals dooown!"

I honestly hope its not Matt Hardy. I didn't catch much of it but Hardy 2.0 was a pretty decent heel, this Matt heel run just sucks IMO.

Hmm, if not for his face run I could guess Morrison. The miz though?

Edit: Just watched SmackDown.

It would really be a shame to see Edge permanently put on the shelf. He is one of the best heels they have, and really a good wrestler. Not the best, but he can put on memorable matches and fueds.

Although Jericho's heel on heel action, wow. I would have enjoyed it if my friend wasn't sitting here the whole time complaining about him being an asshole, and whining about having to listen to him and so forth.

KurnDerak on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Jericho is 10x better as a face but holy hell he is a heat getting machine! This obviously is leading up to Edge coming back as a face, or at least a tweener, but either way I can't see Jericho doing anything but Heel work for a long long time now, he's just too good at it. He makes Orton look pale by comparison, and he hasn't even punted anyone in the head.. yet.

Amikron Devalia on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I haven't watched wrestling since the days of wwf vs wcw. In my personal opinion, I think it was the end of the golden age of the sport whenever wcw killed over. I actually had a dream last night that I was watching wcw and it made me all sad.

Camui on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    TNA seems pretty determined to be just like WCW, so you could always watch that.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited July 2009
    One thing I noticed why I don't like wwe all that much is cause they don't really have "characters" like what wcw had. Any time I turn to it's channel it seems like I have my choice between muscle bound jerk 1 and muscle bound egotist 2.

It might just be me i think.

Camui on
    edited July 2009
    I'm not a big fan of "characters" in the way I think you're describing. I prefer my wrestling a little more down to earth. Of course, there's always the Undertaker.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited July 2009
    When I say characters I mean like:

DiscoFever
    Norman Smiley
    Ultimo dragon
    Sting
    etc

People who had a theme of some sort. Not just guys claiming to be number 1.

Camui on
    edited July 2009
    Yea, TNA would certainly fit that spot, seeing as they have sting to begin with.

Also, the two newcomes to the women's division on last weeks Impact! were pretty impressive.

And while i'm on the subject of TNA, from a quick yahoo search it looks like Joe's mentor is
    taz. Reasoning is cause of the towel joe uses and that Taz is going to TNA soon. As well, at the end of last thrusday's TNA new music played with FTW on the screen.

KurnDerak on
    edited July 2009
    Those two women were Sarah Stock and Cheerleader Melissa, two of the best female indy talents out there. Though they gave them both different names for whatever reason.

LockedOnTarget on
    edited July 2009
    So, is it just me, or does Dolph Ziggler reming anybody else of Mr. Perfect?

More that he looks like him. Kinda.

lonelyahava on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

That's funny because the other day I was arguing with a friend of mine that, of all people, John Cena fit that bill. Although in a much less Mr. Perfect kind of way.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited July 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »

That's funny because the other day I was arguing with a friend of mine that, of all people, John Cena fit that bill. Although in a much less Mr. Perfect kind of way.

I'm more thinking facial structure. Althought I think it's more the blonde hair. But looking him up, he's 1st gen wrestler, isn't he?

lonelyahava on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »

I'm more thinking facial structure. Althought I think it's more the blonde hair. But looking him up, he's 1st gen wrestler, isn't he?
    Ziggler or Cena?

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mr. Perfect was so awesome

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So that was a pretty fucking terrible TNA PPV.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited July 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    So that was a pretty fucking terrible TNA PPV.

At least Joe got to beat Sting clean.

LockedOnTarget on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Simply Perfect

The best part is the pencil trick he does around :20-25

You can tell he's so pleased with himself

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    An article in Sunday's Chicago Sun-Times (yes, they DO sometimes run a small pro-wrestling column) says the rumors are that Christian's narrowed the list to five possibilities: Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, The Miz, and MVP. I'd like to see Miz or MVP, big guys are not really the thing anymore. I mean, how many people would want to see that?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited July 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    An article in Sunday's Chicago Sun-Times (yes, they DO sometimes run a small pro-wrestling column) says the rumors are that Christian's narrowed the list to five possibilities: Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, The Miz, and MVP. I'd like to see Miz or MVP, big guys are not really the thing anymore. I mean, how many people would want to see that?

What is the context for this now?

KurnDerak on
    edited July 2009
    I'm guessing he meant Y2J's partners? Not sure though, since the original post is hard to make sense out of.

Kyougu on
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd actually like Carlito be Jericho's partner. Although I have to admit, a face Mark Henry/heel Jericho odd couple tag team would probably make for great TV.

SarcasmoBlaster on
    edited July 2009
    The only one of those that would make sense for Y2J's partner would be The Miz with his "I'm Awesome" shtick, but I'm really not all that excited for any of them to be his partner.

Sarcasmo, you do have a point. Mark Henry as a face is certainly interesting.

KurnDerak on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never was a Mark Henry fan in the past, but I'm really starting to like him as a face. And considering he's one of the nicest guys in the industry, I'm glad he's getting a push.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited July 2009
    Wow, Raw was terrible last night.

LockedOnTarget on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Have they announced next week's host?

And has anyone else heard about the whole hoopla regarding TNA and Jeff Jarrett? Basically, on the night before their big ppv, someone called the Bubba Love Sponge radio show and claimed to be a TNA wrestler. The guy said that Angle's ex(?)wife and children were now living with Jarrett. TNA then asked Jarrett to step down, and as of right now he's been written out of the show. Angle has been going around saying that he won't resign unless Jarrett is out.

Which would be kinda sad, considering it was Jarrett that started TNA. Then again, this could all be a big angle. Wouldn't be the first time that Russo tries this type of stunt.

Over at PWtorch.com they had an article about how bringing Heyman into TNA would be a good idea, and it's funny that I never thought about it, but yeah..I would definately see it if Heyman got involved.

noir_blood on
  • HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Next week's host is Shaq

Hjorvarthr on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Next week's host is Shaq

Seriously?

No, seriously?

No, seriously?

Hmm. Could be a nice inversion--he's too big to physically intimidate.

Shadowen on
    edited July 2009
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    Next week's host is Shaq

Seriously?

No, seriously?

No, seriously?

Hmm. Could be a nice inversion--he's too big to physically intimidate.

It's going to be so awesome.

Not as awesome if Magic Johnson hosted, but awesome none the less.

Kyougu on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am done with Raw.

Smackdown is the only show for me now, even without Edge (and I love Edge) it's just the fact that it's WRESTLING is just superb.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited July 2009
    Shaq hosting raw really doesn't surprise me all that much. Having a very easily recognized sports star help promote wrestling just makes sense to me. IMO I'd rather see Michael Jordon host, but I don't see him doing it really. Though I could see Rodman wanting to... lets just be thankful they didn't get him.

KurnDerak on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Shaq hosting raw really doesn't surprise me all that much. Having a very easily recognized sports star help promote wrestling just makes sense to me. IMO I'd rather see Michael Jordon host, but I don't see him doing it really. Though I could see Rodman wanting to... lets just be thankful they didn't get him.

What is Scottie Pippen doing?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited July 2009
    I actually enjoyed Raw last night.

not so much the ZZ Top parts, but it was enjoyable.

Especially when I was hoping that they would start playing "Pearl Necklace" when the girls came on. :P

I mentioned to my boyfriend last night that the perfect partner for Jericho would be Orton. Then like 5 minutes later, Jericho suggested that to Legacy.

@QuickSnap:: Also, I think Ziggler looks like Mr. Perfect. But Ziggler's 1st gen, right?

Also, another thing I noticed last night... Michael Cole looks like a MacMahon.

lonelyahava on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    KurnDerak wrote: »

What is Scottie Pippen doing?

Apparently playing in Europe.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.