As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck whatever we were playing, let's get ready for some goddamn DARK SUN

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I started with 3e, but yes, 4e is a blast to play and quick to learn.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I tried to play second edition once, and i still don't understand what happened. I do know third very well though. Still like 4th better.

Melding on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like 4e but it seems like your options for character customization are limited when it comes to mechanics.

Shorty on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meldig, you probably either...

Cast one or two spells and then hid. Maybe tossed some rocks. (Wizard)
    Healed one or two people then hid. (Soft cleric)
    Healed one or two people then flailed at something with a crappy weapon. (Hard cleric)
    Stood around and then flailed at something with a crappy weapon. (All other classes)

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i had a magic short sword we stole off a death knight actually, the life stealing one. and chainmail. i still think he completely made up everything for dice roles.

Melding on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Every time I open a fourth edition book, I just can't get past it looking like it wants to be tabletop World of Warcraft

right down to having designated tanks and dps and healers and crap

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Shorty wrote: »
    I really like 4e but it seems like your options for character customization are limited when it comes to mechanics.

not if you've got a spare $5. the character builder with updates makes all that academic

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still like 3.5 better. I actually don't get the whole 'streamlined' thing people say about 4e. 3.5's spells that last minutes or rounds (ie, an entire fight) seem way easier to manage than 4e's 'every attack has an effect, and they all last one round-ish' way of doing things. Is there something I'm missing?

edit:: I will say one thing 4e did better - giving monsters a short list of very distinct powers, as opposed to a giant list of spell-like abilities and crap. Much easier to manage.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Every time I open a fourth edition book, I just can't get past it looking like it wants to be tabletop World of Warcraft

You really can't get past that?

Are you touched or something?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Those roles existed before in previous editions, only there was a lot of ambiguity. Now it's a clear-cut "This class excels at this role, if you like doing X, Y, and Z, pick this class." I think that's very helpful to newcomers.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009

paint chips are tasty, huh?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I still like 3.5 better. I actually don't get the whole 'streamlined' thing people say about 4e. 3.5's spells that last minutes or rounds (ie, an entire fight) seem way easier to manage than 4e's 'every attack has an effect, and they all last one round-ish' way of doing things. Is there something I'm missing?

edit:: I will say one thing 4e did better - giving monsters a short list of very distinct powers, as opposed to a giant list of spell-like abilities and crap. Much easier to manage.

Well let's just talk spells and their streamlining. Here are your options for 3.5

1 round. 2 rounds. 3 rounds. Rounds equal to half level. Rounds equal to level. Rounds equal to twice level. Minutes equal to level.

And for 4e:

Until beginning of your next turn. Until end of your next turn. Until saved against (a simple d20 roll, 10+ saves). Until end of encounter.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    4e seems more 'we made some mechanics and tailored a class to them' instead of 'we came up with an idea and derived mechanics from the idea', which I think is what lots of people want to say, but don't know how to.

straightzi:: not really sure what your point is here.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Though Fighter did in earlier editions bridge between striker and defender, barbarians also.

Melding on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Though Fighter did in earlier editions bridge between striker and defender, barbarians also.
    so? lots of classes bridge roles in 4e too.

nothing new here.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh man I am loving Wushu

I am playing an absolutely disgusting drummer

He is incredibly filthy to the point where when a dude punched him his fist got stuck in his beard

said beard also eats people

and I made a guy throw up just by opening my mouth, since I imagine he looks like shane macgowan

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can definitely make a strikier fighter and a defendier fighter in 4e

Straightzi on
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, a lot of the PPs in Martial Power seemed to say "I'm a fighter, but I still like to beat shit" when I was flicking through it earlier.

Probad on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seriously Wushu sounded complex at first but once we got to playing it is super easy to learn

Moriveth on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, Mori.

The Eberron Campaign Guide is so awesome.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Eh, maybe it's just the whole having it named makes people feel confined? like why they left out the pacts warlock powers best fit with in Arcane power. I don't know, I'm just typing to read my own words.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wait

how did you get it

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Books-A-Million by me had it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You son of a bitch

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tell me what you wanna know and I will transcribe some if you want

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Nah, no rush, my adventure tomorrow is pretty simple anyway. I'll be getting it soon enough.

Still, I am hell of jealous.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Eberron: Because it isn't Forgotten Realms.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Man ain't nothin wrong with the FR.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seriously guys, Wushu

this shit is hilariously awesome

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

But I hates it.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The map of Khorvaire that comes with it has two battle maps on the back, a tower with a dragon mark on the floor and surrounding countryside and a street battle scene for use in Sharn.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But I hates it.

Have you read up on the changes made for 4e?

The only thing I miss are some of the more obscure deities, but since I'm, you know, the Master of My Own Universe, I just add them back in as exarchs and avatars and whatnot.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Eh, maybe it's just the whole having it named makes people feel confined? like why they left out the pacts warlock powers best fit with in Arcane power. I don't know, I'm just typing to read my own words.
    I've never actually played the game, but after reading a few books it seems much more to me like the class roles are entirely guidelines to help the player and the DM. It seems like it would be pretty easy to modify a class any way you want to play it within reason.

I'm still not sure what to think about the Powers system, because it still strikes me as a little too homogeneous, but every time I hear about someone's game I become convinced it's because you have to play the game to see otherwise.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Those roles existed before in previous editions, only there was a lot of ambiguity. Now it's a clear-cut "This class excels at this role, if you like doing X, Y, and Z, pick this class." I think that's very helpful to newcomers.

The roles existed, but the roles didn't define the characters. People picked wizard to have a character that was literate and wore a pointy hat, not to be dps.

They even gave abilities cooldowns. Soon WotC will release "Book of 25-man Raids." There will be monsters that have a 0.1% chance to drop a Vorpal Longsword, and can only be encountered once in a month of playsessions.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But I hates it.

The only thing I miss are some of the more obscure deities, but since I'm, you know, the Master of My Own Universe, I just add them back in as exarchs and avatars and whatnot.

I tired reading the FRCS for 3.5

I haven't touched anything FR since.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

There are a few things but the biggest complaint I've heard around is that it makes the players feel irrelevant.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cooper that's silly.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    My character mumbles all the time so nobody actually knows his name, not to mention his filth is so strong that he can actually avoid being burned because of the pervasive funk around his body

Rachel's character is a radioactive electric violinist named Nagi Hiroshima who is a bit of a dominatrix

And Dubh's character is named Gizzy Moonrock and is basically an even more androgynous David Bowie

Moriveth on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

The roles existed, but the roles didn't define the characters. People picked wizard to have a character that was literate and wore a pointy hat, not to be dps.

They even gave abilities cooldowns. Soon WotC will release "Book of 25-man Raids." There will be monsters that have a 0.1% chance to drop a Vorpal Longsword, and can only be encountered once in a month of playsessions.

maybe they made the game a tad bit more like mmorpg style gameplay because

gasp

there are some good mechanics there

Shorty on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But I hates it.

They kept Red Knight, which I was absurdly happy about. Best deity no one has heard of ever.

Cilla Black on
This discussion has been closed.